NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Azalus

Can you help me finding an old 3D platformer?

Hi guys

I found this gaming forum, and I was wondering if you could help me to find the name of a game from my childhood.

I understand that this might be a bit hard to find, as there are many 3D platformers from that era.

Thank you!  Here's all the info I have:

Platform: Must be either PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 or even PS2

Genre: 3D platformer (it could possibly be considered action/adventure)

Estimated year of release: Between 1997-2002

Graphics/art style: Colorful or cartoony, 3D levels and 3rd person camera. It looks similar to Kao the Kangaroo, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo-Kazooie or Croc 2

It's not: side-scrolling, 2.5D nor isometric, and doesn't look dark/realistic/futuristic

Main character: An animal/creature. I think it doesn't have any weapon or power-up

Other details: The first or second level is a typical field/meadow/plain in a sunny day, you walk through a road (dirt or stone). I definitely remember some big rolling balls as obstacles. I recall the level as being kinda simple: you walk forward on the road instead of roaming around the place. I don't remember any dialogue, NPC or special features. It seemed more like a demo, but I guess it's a full game.

Here's a little drawing: https://imgur.com/a/NzxTy

Checked games: Crash series, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, Croc 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Kao the Kangaroo, Sonic series, Ninpen Manmaru, Conker, Gex, Spyro series, Ape Escape, Chameleon Twist, Ratchet & Clank, Vex, Zapper, Billy Hatcher, Klonoa, Lilo & Stitch, Tomba 2, Pitfall, Scaler, Pandemonium, Rayman 2, Bubsy 3D, Barbie, Kingsley's Adventure, Tonic Trouble, Sheep Raider, Bugs Bunny series, Looney Tunes, Super Magnetic Neo, Bugdom, Space Circus Fever, Hugo/Agent Hugo, Sly Cooper, Bug!, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Jak&Daxter, Super Mario 64, Glover, Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers, Scooby Doo, Treasure Planet, Stretch Panic, Malice, Phix: The Adventure, Legend of Kay, Mystical Ninja Goemon, Neopets: The Darkest Faerie, Frogger series, The Emperor's New Groove, Muppet Monster Adventure, Woody Woodpecker, Space Station Silicon Valley, Donkey Kong 64,  Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Adiboo & Paziral's Secret, The Adventures of Monkey Hero, Jersey Devil, Jinx, Jumping Flash, MediEvil, A Bug's Life, Blues Brothers 2000, Charlie Blasts Territory, Daffy Duck: Duck Dodgers, Earthworm Jim 3D, Starshot Space Circus Fever, Taz Express, Floigan Brothers, The Grinch, MDK2, An American Tail, Animaniacs, Anubis 2, Billy The Wizard, Castleween, Cocoto Platform Jumper, Coraline, Freak Out, Gift, Herdy Gerdy, Psychonauts, Tak and the Power of Juju, Zapper, The Legend of Kay

Edited by Azalus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Azalus and welcome to N-Europe. :D

I can sympathise with you wanting to find a game that you played during your childhood but just can't think of the name, it has happened to me a good few times over the years... the one which eluded me for a while was this side-scrolling shmup that I played on the Megadrive over at my late Grandparents neighbours house, which featured a really significant boss battle in a lava stage which featured a mutated angler fish and some of the greatest music I've ever heard in such a title.

That game of course was Darius II... I know that now, but at the time, I couldn't think what it was, possibly due to it being an import copy I think. ::shrug:

Anyway, back to your quest to find this 3D platforming type game, which I can see already has a rather large exclusion list of games you've already checked and I must commend you on the amount of research you've done as at least we have a lot to work with, so I will try to help you find out what this game is called. :)

My first thought was Super Magnetic Neo as that one is kind of obscure, fitted the bill and I only realised what type of game it is very recently... but that's on the list.

The only title I can think of right now is... Space Station Silicon Valley on the N64 purely because it's so odd and it doesn't seem to be in your list.

It's a starting point at least. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Also... Donkey Kong 64 on the N64 just to throw that one out there as it doesn't seem to be on the list. :p

Oh and Rocket Robot on Wheels can't forget that one. ;)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your help, S.C.G.!

Those are great games, but I'm afraid they're not the one I'm looking for. Anyway, now I can add them to the list, thanks to you.

Ah... Nostalgia is indeed a sweet feeling. But sometimes it haunts you in your dreams! Haha

Aside from playing Nintendo, in my free time I like to do some research, and finding childhood games seems a perfect thing to do.

Thanks again, and I hope my English level is enough.

Edit: If you like Darius II, let me recommend you Thunder Force (also for Mega Drive)

Edited by Azalus
  • Thanks 1

You're most welcome. :smile:

It's a shame that it wasn't any of those but at least that's a few more down to cross off.

Also, I noticed that in your list of consoles you have some games which could have been on GameCube or Xbox so I guess those are platforms to consider as well from the same era.

Yes, nostalgia most certainly is great at times but deadly at other points in time.

If I think of any other games, I'll be sure to post them here.

• Thanks 1

Going through the formats systematically, here's another list of suggestions...

***PS1***

Adiboo & Paziral's Secret
The Adventures of Monkey Hero
Jersey Devil
Jinx
Jumping Flash
MediEvil

***N64***

A Bug's Life
Blues Brothers 2000
Charlie Blasts Territory
Daffy Duck: Duck Dodgers
Earthworm Jim 3D
Starshot Space Circuc Fever
Taz Express

***DC***

Floigan Brothers: episode one
The Grinch
MDK2

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Going through the formats systematically, here's another list of suggestions...

***PS1***

Adiboo & Paziral's Secret
The Adventures of Monkey Hero
Jersey Devil
Jinx
Jumping Flash
MediEvil

***N64***

A Bug's Life
Blues Brothers 2000
Charlie Blasts Territory
Daffy Duck: Duck Dodgers
Earthworm Jim 3D
Starshot Space Circuc Fever
Taz Express

***DC***

Floigan Brothers: episode one
The Grinch
MDK2

Look at this guy, putting the G into S.C.G! Unfortunately I cannot help as any of the few games I played and would have given as a potential suggesting already seem to have been covered by you @Azalus! However I would like to welcome you to forum and hope you find out what the game is - be very curious to know when you do as I've had this same thing many a time with old games or cartoons/TV shows of my youth :p

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rummy said:

Look at this guy, putting the G into S.C.G! Unfortunately I cannot help as any of the few games I played and would have given as a potential suggesting already seem to have been covered by you @Azalus! However I would like to welcome you to forum and hope you find out what the game is - be very curious to know when you do as I've had this same thing many a time with old games or cartoons/TV shows of my youth :p

Well, I thought it was worth a shot. :)

It's proven interesting for me too as I'm going through the CEX database, A-Z for each format, I'm usually on there anyway and it's good to see just how many platformers were released in addition to brushing up on any odd titles to look out for while I'm there. :peace:

There were a few thousand PS2 titles to look through but, here's what I found @Azalus...

**PS2***

An American Tail
Animaniacs - The Great Edgar Hunt
Anubis 2
Asterix & Obelix XXL
Billy The Wizard
Castleween
Cocoto - Platform Jumper
Coraline
Countryside Bears
Freak Out
Gift
Herdy Gerdy
Kuri Kuri Mix
Psychonauts
Tak And The Power Of Juju
Zapper - One Wicked Cricket

I've still got the Xbox and GameCube categories to go through, but you've got a few to look through now at least. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why but this sounds similar to The Legend of Kay.

My first thought was Klonoa: Door to Phantomile too. It's bright and colourful but it's like a side-scrolling platformer.

Any description of the animal/creature? Any outstanding features?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Wow, thank you so much guys, specially S.C.G!

That was a solid list of old 3D games. I checked every one, and although I didn't find my obscure platformer, I learnt about some wonderful old-school games which I didn't know at all! A few of them even fit well with the description, by the way

Also, I'm glad this thread served to inspire some nostalgia or curiosity after all. Missing the name of a childhood game/film/etc is a common feeling among people, indeed.

(Let me recommend this subreddit, where people try to help other people to remember such stuff:  https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/)

Thanks again! And I'm sure I will find that infamous game someday

Edit: @Animal I'm afraid I can only remember some details... But I'm sure it was a terrestrial animal or creature, instead of a human

Edited by Azalus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you remember what system you played it on. Can you remember buttons you used to jump and attack and interact with stuff? Was there any signs you could interact with? Anything distinctive with the controllers or the game at all?

I remember Buzz Lightyear having a level in a field...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Blinx the Time Sweeper?

Sent from my ASUS Laptop like a pleb.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this