Sign in to follow this  
Julius Caesar

E3 2018

Recommended Posts

Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere but seeing that as well as getting flack for the Fortnite cross play cock up, Sony "aren't talking to any specialist gaming press" at e3 (100% paraphrase)

U wot? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kav said:

Microsoft had the best show, Nintendo had the worst, even with Sony’s daft “intermission”.

Ghost of Tsushima was my game of show.

Sekiro and Spider-Man looked great too and I’m looking forward to hearing more about Cyberpunk 2077.

Microsoft's show was fantastic. I spent most of it going "can't wait to play that...looking forward to that...that looks great...also can't wait to play that on PS4". It's probably made me even more unlikely to get an Xbox. :D 

Of the three console companies, I disliked Nintendo's show the most, purely for the overlong, overdetailed analysis of every seemingly little detail they've added into Smash Bros. How long did that seriously last for, because it felt close to half an hour. The Last of Us Part II was my game of the show. But yeah, Ghost looked awesome. Thought it was interesting was Sony tried to do, but the intermission bit was a clear misfire. Rest of the show was fine and I think the quality of the games will speak for themselves. Nioh 2 is a very nice surprise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

From best to worst for me:

1. Microsoft: Tons of games, lots of exclusives, big reveals, very few bits that dragged and a tease about next gen. Easily the best conference.

2. Ubisoft: Tons of games. Tons of variety, hitting every genre, something for everyone. Nice presentation flow to it.

3. Bethesda: Good showing even if they took 15 minutes to actually show gameplay. Disappointing how it was just logo reveals for Doom Eternal, Youngblood, Starfield and Elder Scrolls

4. Nintendo: They would have done well to rename this a Smash Bros Direct and set expectations going in. Terrible lack of reveals other than Smash and a couple of others. It would be 100% Nintendo to have a Direct in two weeks time and show off more stuff.

5. Sony: The same games we've been seeing for years now. We'll probably see most of them again next year too. I'm sure they'll be great, but as a conference, boring. The format was an utter disaster. One note in terms of genres as usual.

6. EA: Horrible conference format, it felt a mess. From the Respawn reveal to the C&C demo, just bad. Even Anthem their big game was poorly presented. The Madden champion on stage was utterly pointless.

7. Square Enix: This really didn't need a conference, though I appreciated their move to a Direct style format. I wish/think more of the above will be going that route in future. Sony especially.

I agree with most of that, i'm just not sure how you decide who is worst out of EA and Square.

I went in relatively blind, the only rumour i saw and hoped for was Fallout 3/NV on Switch and in fairness theres always time for that Bethesda have been very good at supporting Switch, but even blind i felt a bit underwhelmed, it felt like the last E3 of a generation and next year we'll have Switch Plus, PS5 and Xbox 2 revealed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Happenstance you watching the Kenny Omega vs Austin Creed E3 Street Fighter V fight? Easily one of the best things I've watched from E3 this year.

I haven't yet. Might try and watch it today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Happenstance you watching the Kenny Omega vs Austin Creed E3 Street Fighter V fight? Easily one of the best things I've watched from E3 this year.

DfvhpTiUwAAsI3w.jpg:large

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried watching the conferences again but this time with the Giant Bomb crew commentary over the top. I got about halfway through the Xbox conference and knocked it off. They are so sarcastic and cynical about everything it makes it difficult to watch. It's a totally different vibe compared to the excitement and enthusiasm of the EZA guys.

Speaking of Giant Bomb, Jeff done a cracking interview with Phil Spencer.

I love how open and honest Phil is about things. He's certainly much better at PR than Reggie, who gives non answers, and Jim Ryan, who just comes across as an arrogant prick.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They are so sarcastic and cynical about everything it makes it difficult to watch

I think that attitude is a reflection of gamers generally, sadly enough. Everything is looked at with skepticism. If it's not comments like "don't believe their lies" at anything Ubisoft show off, or the OTT hatred shown towards EA, mentions of M$ etc, everyone complains about anything. It just feels like a very toxic industry sometimes, from the community side of things I mean.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

He's certainly much better at PR than Reggie

Trouble with Reggie, is Nintendo of Japan hold all the power and make all the big decisions, not NOA, so he's a in tough spot. Whereas Phil Spencer is in charge of Xbox

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/06/2018 at 2:12 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I tried watching the conferences again but this time with the Giant Bomb crew commentary over the top. I got about halfway through the Xbox conference and knocked it off. They are so sarcastic and cynical about everything it makes it difficult to watch. It's a totally different vibe compared to the excitement and enthusiasm of the EZA guys.

Speaking of Giant Bomb, Jeff done a cracking interview with Phil Spencer.

I love how open and honest Phil is about things. He's certainly much better at PR than Reggie, who gives non answers, and Jim Ryan, who just comes across as an arrogant prick.

 

Yeah, that guy seems super down-to-earth, which is very nice to see. His approach to improving the industry as a whole is also commendable. :)
I mean, the ongoing thing with cross-play and Sony just makes them look so bad. It's baffling. :blank:

I've been watching some more reaction vids from E3 recently, especially of the Ubisoft conference, as that moment with the Star Fox reveal is a fun one to rewatch, but also a good indicator of how clued-up/on the ball the people in these vids really are. :hehe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I tried watching the conferences again but this time with the Giant Bomb crew commentary over the top. I got about halfway through the Xbox conference and knocked it off. They are so sarcastic and cynical about everything it makes it difficult to watch. It's a totally different vibe compared to the excitement and enthusiasm of the EZA guys.

I actually really enjoyed their commentary this year. While they are my preferred gaming site I have in the past had the same issue but I thought they struck a good balance this year. They were pretty positive about the MS conference as a whole by the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I actually really enjoyed their commentary this year. While they are my preferred gaming site I have in the past had the same issue but I thought they struck a good balance this year. They were pretty positive about the MS conference as a whole by the end.

They lost me at the Kingdom Hearts section and that's when I knocked it off. Most of them, if not all, seem to have no clue about it and instead were just ripping on the trailer. You look at EZA and a couple of them knew the significance of what happened at the end of the trailer and got really excited about it. 

Anyway...

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They lost me at the Kingdom Hearts section and that's when I knocked it off. Most of them, if not all, seem to have no clue about it and instead were just ripping on the trailer. You look at EZA and a couple of them knew the significance of what happened at the end of the trailer and got really excited about it. 

To be fair, if they don't like Kingdom Hearts then I don't know how you would expect them to act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

To be fair, if they don't like Kingdom Hearts then I don't know how you would expect them to act.

Professional. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Professional. 

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. Its a personality driven site, they are commentating over a press conference and that was their reaction. To me that's how it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. Its a personality driven site, they are commentating over a press conference and that was their reaction. To me that's how it should be.

Pretty much. :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The E3 critic awards are now out. Here are games that game out on top.

Quote

Best of Show
Resident Evil 2
(Capcom for PC, PS4, Xbox One) 

Best Original Game
Dreams
(Media Molecule/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Best Console
Marvel’s Spider-Man
(Insomniac Games/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Best VR/AR Game
Tetris Effect
(Resonair/Enhance Inc for PSVR)

Best PC Game
ANTHEM
(BioWare/EA for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Hardware/Peripheral
Xbox Adaptive Controller
(Microsoft)

Best Action Game
ANTHEM
(BioWare/EA for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Action/Adventure
Marvel’s Spider-Man
(Insomniac Games/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Best RPG
Kingdom Hearts III
(Square Enix for PS4, Xbox One) 

Best Fighting Game
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
(Bandai Namco Studios/Sorta Ltd./Nintendo for Switch)

Best Racing Game
Forza Horizon 4
(Playground Games/Turn 10/Microsoft Studios for PC, Xbox One)

Best Sports Game
FIFA 19
(EA Vancouver/EA for PS4, Xbox One)

Best Strategy Game
Total War: Three Kingdoms
(Creative Assembly/Sega for PC)

Best Family/Social Game
Overcooked 2
(Ghost Town Games/Team 17 for PS4, Switch, Xbox One)

Best Online Multiplayer
Battlefield V
(EA DICE/EA for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Independent Game
Ori and the Will of Wisps
(Moon Studios/Microsoft for PC, Xbox One)

Best Ongoing Game
Fortnite
(Epic for iOS, Mac, PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One)

Special Commendations for Graphics
Cyberpunk 2077
(CD PROJEKT RED for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

The Last of Us Part II
(Naughty Dog/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Ghost of Tsushima
(Sucker Punch/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Special Commendation for Sound
The Last of Us Part II
(Naughty Dog/SIE for PlayStation 4)

Special Commendation for Innovation
Cyberpunk 2077
(CD PROJEKT RED for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyberpunk didn't even show any in game graphics did they? Or any proof of anything innovative? I mean, I'm excited for the game, but it seems a bit premature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bob said:

Cyberpunk didn't even show any in game graphics did they? Or any proof of anything innovative? I mean, I'm excited for the game, but it seems a bit premature.

There was a 50 min ( think it was that long ) demo shown behind closed doors for people in the industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There was a 50 min ( think it was that long ) demo shown behind closed doors for people in the industry.

Yeah, it was that long. 50 minute long shady backdoor deals...

@bob, from every reaction that I’ve heard/watched, the parts of the game shown in the demo sound like they were of fairly similar graphical fidelity to what we saw in the trailer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this