Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2017-18

Fierce_LiNk

I actually think that's a pretty decent draw for Celtic, rough for Spurs and Chelsea though. 

I don't think Celtic were expecting to get through the group stages, Rodgers seems to be content to be in a European competition after Xmas, and with Anderlecht in their group they'll definitely fancy their chances of finishing third. 

Spurs really don't stand a chance of getting out of the group if they can't settle at Wembley. Wouldn't put it past them to get a couple of results away from home, but Westfalenstadion and the Bernabau are not easy places to go. Would expect Apoel to be the whipping boys of the group but you never know.

Another good performance yesterday. Potentially a game that United would have drawn or struggled to score in previous seasons. Great to see Rashford scoring goals, too. 

I've just finished watching the Chelsea/Everton game and it was very one-sided. Everton really needed more presence upfront as there was nobody there to keep the ball in higher areas of the pitch. Every time it went forward, Chelsea just retrieved it quickly and moved it back into the Everton half. 

Karius is garbage and is definitely not good enough to be number one at the club. Mignolet isn't as good as the other top keepers in the league (De Gea, Courtois, Lloris), but he's safely better than Karius. 

I watched this game, too. Scoreline should have been more than 4-0. This could easily have been 6 or 7. Salah is my man of the match and he just caused trouble every time he had the ball. Mane was also fantastic and is turning into one of the top players in the league now. 

Is there a reason why Lacazette didn't start? He's the type of player who could have caused Liverpool trouble today. Arsenal have conceded 8 goals so far; only West Ham have conceded more. Too fragile at the back and get pulled apart way too easily.

17 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I had to laugh at just how angry Gary Neville was getting at Arsenal during that match.

It must be quite frustrating as an ex-pro to remember the better Arsenal sides and then see how the more current sides pale in comparison. The performance yesterday was really poor and the team were so lightweight and easy to get at.

Part of that was down to Liverpool's impressive pressing game. As soon as Arsenal had the ball, they were on them and closed them down in all areas of the pitch. I'm a really big fan of high-pressing tactics as it means you can win the ball back quickly and force the other teams into mistakes. When you've got quick players at the top end of the pitch too, it means you can quickly counter and get at their defence within seconds of winning the ball, which is what we saw yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Oxlade-Chamberlain is going to Chelsea. Why?! How is he going to get into that side? Which position is he going to play in? 

No idea but that is a good bit of business by Arsenal. 

I see we've now entered the preordering phase of the football business with us nabbing Keita for next season. I wonder what DLC we get with the preorder? Joking aside, if things pan out then that will be a great bit of business. We are in a market where defenders are going for 50+ million, so getting a goal scoring player for under that seems like a bit of a win. Still, it is a risk though. I mean, he could have a shocking season this season or get a big injury.

I see City are going after Sanchez and offering Sterling as part of the deal. Seems a bit harsh on the lad considering he's saved City's backside in the last 2 games.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No idea but that is a good bit of business by Arsenal. 

I see we've now entered the preordering phase of the football business with us nabbing Keita for next season. I wonder what DLC we get with the preorder? Joking aside, if things pan out then that will be a great bit of business. We are in a market where defenders are going for 50+ million, so getting a goal scoring player for under that seems like a bit of a win. Still, it is a risk though. I mean, he could have a shocking season this season or get a big injury.

I see City are going after Sanchez and offering Sterling as part of the deal. Seems a bit harsh on the lad considering he's saved City's backside in the last 2 games.

I'm not convinced that it is a good piece of business. He could be an important player for Arsenal with a good bit of nurturing and support. I'm not sure we've seen the best of what the player has to offer. He's been more than a bit mismanaged from what I can see.

You going to get the Leipzig season pass? Timo Werner is rumoured to the next player available. Still waiting for the day one patch, though. :(

3 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm not convinced that it is a good piece of business. He could be an important player for Arsenal with a good bit of nurturing and support. I'm not sure we've seen the best of what the player has to offer. He's been more than a bit mismanaged from what I can see.

Thing is, he doesn't want to be there. He apparently didn't want to sign a new contract and his runs out next season. Far better to get £35 million for him then get nothing for him next season.

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thing is, he doesn't want to be there. He apparently didn't want to sign a new contract and his runs out next season. Far better to get £35 million for him then get nothing for him next season.

Arsenal got themselves into this situation (again! - they have so much form for this) by allowing their players to run into the final year of their contracts. This situation could have been avoided completely. It's the same with Alexis, too...and Ozil. Arsenal do not have that great a squad where they can play these sorts of games with their better players. It immediately puts the negotiating from Arsenal's perspective on the back foot. They could lose Chamerlain, Ozil and Alexis this window, or could lose them all for nothing next season. That's a shit situation either way. How do they constantly get themselves in this mess year after year?

14 minutes ago, Kav said:

I'd rather we gave Lewis Baker a chance than buy in the Ox.

After all this time there's still not enough faith being put in our own youth.

I think it also proves that this isn't down to one particular manager as this is a problem that has existed for many years under a range of different managers. It's a cultural problem that has come as a result of Abramovich wanting immediate success at Chelsea. If you want to win trophies season after season, especially in a highly competitive league, then there is going to be some sort of downside and the issue here is that it takes a long time to develop youth academies, bring in these young players, settle them in, letting them make mistakes, letting them learn how to recover from their mistakes and then seeing them become members of the first team. It takes yeeeeears. If the owner and people higher up don't even give the managers time, then how or why would they give the players time to develop? It's far easier for them to just buy the finished product as it brings more immediate success, even if the price is high.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I think it also proves that this isn't down to one particular manager as this is a problem that has existed for many years under a range of different managers. It's a cultural problem that has come as a result of Abramovich wanting immediate success at Chelsea. If you want to win trophies season after season, especially in a highly competitive league, then there is going to be some sort of downside and the issue here is that it takes a long time to develop youth academies, bring in these young players, settle them in, letting them make mistakes, letting them learn how to recover from their mistakes and then seeing them become members of the first team. It takes yeeeeears. If the owner and people higher up don't even give the managers time, then how or why would they give the players time to develop? It's far easier for them to just buy the finished product as it brings more immediate success, even if the price is high.

Whereas I agree, they're happy buying in players who don't make the grade and get shipped back out asap.

Our youth team has been amongst the best in Europe for a few years now, we have to start giving the lads a chance.

22 minutes ago, Kav said:

Whereas I agree, they're happy buying in players who don't make the grade and get shipped back out asap.

Our youth team has been amongst the best in Europe for a few years now, we have to start giving the lads a chance.

Sure, players do get shipped out as well. That's part of the ruthlessness that the big teams like Chelsea and Real Madrid have. You either succeed and stay or you get pushed out. It's part of the reason why they've won so many trophies over the last few years. There's no room for sub-standard at the club. It's ruthless, but it's also how you guarantee success. Technically, Chelsea's current strategy works, so there's no real need for them to promote youth at the club. From a business perspective, if they can get players through their academy and sell them on for money elsewhere, that's where they'll make their money...which is then used to help finance the bigger players. 

I'm certain there are players already at Chelsea who can do what Oxlade-Chamberlain promises, or have the potential to be better than him. 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2017 at 7:56 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

Look at Celtic's group!

I don't think United's group will be a pushover, but you'd expect them to get through that.

Tottenham's group is interesting! It depends on what Dortmund's lineup will be like once Dembele goes.

Can't wait for the group stages to begin! :D

I'd rather have 2 amazing teams in the group that will comfortably beat us and the team in Pot 3. It means that Celtic don't need to worry about Anderlecht nabbing points in a lucky draw. It's basically Celtic vs Anderlecht for 3rd place and will come down to those two games.

2 glamour ties in Glasgow is great thing for the Scottish game too. I'll try and get tickets to the Bayern match. Unfortunately I'm  in London week of the PSG match.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

I'd rather have 2 amazing teams in the group that will comfortably beat us and the team in Pot 3. It means that Celtic don't need to worry about Anderlecht nabbing points in a lucky draw. It's basically Celtic vs Anderlecht for 3rd place and will come down to those two games.

2 glamour ties in Glasgow is great thing for the Scottish game too. I'll try and get tickets to the Bayern match. Unfortunately I'm  in London week of the PSG match.

It'll definitely draw crowds, but there's also a big chance that these games will end with big score lines. Celtic will definitely be doing lots of defensive training beforehand! I'll definitely keep a close eye on it!

3 hours ago, Clownferret said:

Well I hope it's RWB in place of the waste of space that is Moses. Otherwise it's a stupid transfer by Chelsea.

It's been said that one of the reasons why Oxlade-Chamberlain wants to move is because he's unhappy with the current position he's playing at Arsenal. That is based on the reports surrounding this transfer, so you never really know how true these stories are. If that is true though, then you'd assume he'd be unhappy playing in the same position at Chelsea. 

Well, the Ox has now turned down a move to Chelsea and wants to sign for us. I fail to see what he will bring to the table in our squad.::shrug:  Even if we do end up buying him, I can't him getting first team football.

I see Arsenal have rejected the 50 million bid for Sanchez from City. 

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I really hope we don't buy him, he's just not needed in our current setup. Now a new keeper, that I would be happy with.

I just wish he would pick one and stick with him. Klopp done the same last season and it doesn't work. It shatters both of their confidence and its hard to hit any kind of form when you are constantly being swapped all the time.

Defenders is what I think we need. It's a shame Sakho had that scandal around him and fell out of favour with the club. He was doing really well for us before that all happened. I just wish we would get rid of Lovren. That guy is a liability every time the ball goes near him.

Oooh, a few rejected bids here and there, players handing in requests. It's getting interesting again.

I like that Oxlade-Chamberlain turned down Chelsea because of the issue surrounding the position he'd be playing in. It puts him in a better light, imo. He's not leaving for the money but is looking out for his career. I do feel for him because if you have turned professional and are trying to get a run of games, it's important that they are in your preferred position. Howeveeeer, this could backfire on him. He could end up not moving and ending up back at Arsenal, in the same position as he's playing now, with the fans knowing that he wanted out. Not all fans are reasonable and many would turn on him.

I do think players need to be adaptable. He seems to be doing ok at wing-back and he's getting a run of games there. I'm certain that Valencia has played more games at right back for United now than he ever did at right wing. If Valencia was adamant it was right wing or nothing, he would have left the club by now. But, he's adapted his game and virtually plays every week. Aside from two seasons where he picked up injuries, he plays 35+ games a season. I do think if O-C wants to stay at Arsenal, he should look at how Valencia has adapted his game. 

17 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It'll definitely draw crowds, but there's also a big chance that these games will end with big score lines. Celtic will definitely be doing lots of defensive training beforehand! I'll definitely keep a close eye on it!

Apart from the odd result Celtic generally do quite well against the big sides at home. They might lose but it will be narrowly by 1 or 2 goals. That said, I can see Bayern and PSG absolutely destroying them home and away.

Got my tickets for Arsenal vs FC Koln. £25 for the middle upper tier, reasonably priced for a Europa League game I'd say. Looking forward to it. I'm also planning on going to Stamford Bridge that week for the Chelsea game as my friend is a fan and I said I'd go with him.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!