N-Europe

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition

Cube

Noticed that there's no thread for it.

The Switch version of Minecraft is out tomorrow for £19.99, included the Mario pack that was on the Wii U version (there's a load of extra skin packs available for purchase).

The world size can go up to 3072 x 3072. This quite a bit bigger than the Wii U's 864 x 864 but smaller than the XBO/PS4's 5120 x 5120.

I'll be picking this up for the 3rd time (already own it on PC and Wii U). Watched a few of the Gamexplain videos and quite hyped for it. The Wii U version is pretty poor, the world is far too small. This seems to be a decent compromise between the more powerful systems and the power the devs had available. It looks pretty impressive technically and the fact it can be played anywhere with anyone is a big plus for me. The extra Mario content looks awesome, I never really explored the Wii U stuff, as I found the experience too frustrating, especially compared to the PC version.

I'm thinking about picking it up as I used to play the android version a lot more than the desktop one so think it'll be a good portable game.

I find it really bizarre that the console versions of the game have such restricted world sizes when the mobile 'Pocket Edition' features 'infinite' worlds like the desktop iteration.

I've never played Minecraft before (only "2D Minecraft" Terraria). But since the whole world plays it maybe I should give it a shot!

Can someone explain me in short the game's mechanics? Is it completely open world or do you have some sort of goals (like Terraria)?

Just had a look and Kotaku mention that it doesn't make any use of the touchscreen in handheld mode. You also can't use a single joy con to control the game so will need a pro controller or a couple of pairs of joy cons to play local multiplayer.

Been playing this with the missus all evening. It's so awesome playing split-screen on the TV. Really reminded me of the golden age in 2012 when me and my housemate sunk hours into it over LAN. She's only really played Yoshi's Wooly World and Tomodatchi Life and is fairly green when it comes to gaming, but she finished the tutorial and picked up what to do all almost instantly, that's the beauty of this game, literally anyone can pick it up and play. So pleased they got this out quickly on the Switch!

My only complaint is that the text on split screen is so goddamn small, even on my 47" TV I'm squinting to see what's in my inventory... I hope there's an update coming for that.

We're going to Portugal next week and I can just see us dropping the tray in the plane and playing this on the flight, must remember to take my pro-controller :D An excellent and timely addition to the Switch's ever expanding game library. Definitely worth the double or triple dip!

• 5 weeks later...

This will be getting an update in a few months. The Switch multiplayer will be cross-compatible with the Xbox One, Windows 10, VR and Pocket versions.

On top of that, DLC that you have purchased in other versions will be available in all versions of the game without having to pay extra.

It also sounds like it will be getting infinite sized worlds.

• 1 month later...