NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Am I ungrateful? I’m excited by many of those new tracks, but I can’t help feel slightly deflated by two Tour tracks when there’s still quite a few tracks I would love to have seen.

But that finishes the additional FORTY-EIGHT tracks!  That’s an incredible feat and has increased the life-span of the game ten-fold!  Suddenly I don’t think I should feel ungrateful anymore!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Am I ungrateful? I’m excited by many of those new tracks, but I can’t help feel slightly deflated by two Tour tracks when there’s still quite a few tracks I would love to have seen.

Nah, it's not as bad as two Wii tracks being there. Wii tracks aren't exactly the high point of Mario Kart.

At least the Tour tracks are new to people who didn't wanna touch Tour. Also, there's technically three of them here.

On 04/11/2023 at 1:13 AM, Glen-i said:

Nah, it's not as bad as two Wii tracks being there. Wii tracks aren't exactly the high point of Mario Kart.

At least the Tour tracks are new to people who didn't wanna touch Tour. Also, there's technically three of them here.

You make a good point about the Wii tracks, and this is even after Mario Kart Wii had over half of its tracks already in MK8DX before wave 9 (something I hadn’t even realised!).

Your correction at the end there saddened me even more! 😂

On 11/4/2023 at 1:13 AM, Glen-i said:

The Wii tracks might not be the high point of the series but they are certainly better than the Tour tracks. God I hate them. 

I know you guys love them going by how often they get picked but I just find them a chore to play.

5 minutes ago, lostmario said:

The Wii tracks might not be the high point of the series but they are certainly better than the Tour tracks. God I hate them.

I'm not sure how the city based ones are much different from other one lap tracks, personally. Apart from Tokyo Blur and New York Minute, I think they range from good to excellent.

I wonder, do you include the likes of Ninja Hideaway, Squeaky Clean Sprint, and Yoshi's Island when you say Tour tracks? Because they are tracks designed for Mario Kart Tour, and I think they're quite excellent, especially Yoshi's Island, which might be my favourite track in the whole game.

17 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I'm not sure how the city based ones are much different from other one lap tracks, personally. Apart from Tokyo Blur and New York Minute, I think they range from good to excellent.

I wonder, do you include the likes of Ninja Hideaway, Squeaky Clean Sprint, and Yoshi's Island when you say Tour tracks? Because they are tracks designed for Mario Kart Tour, and I think they're quite excellent, especially Yoshi's Island, which might be my favourite track in the whole game.

Squeaky Clean Sprint & Yoshi's Island tracks, weren't these developed first for the MK8 DLC and then ported to Tour?  I like those 2 as they feel like Mario Kart tracks unlike the Tour city based ones which just seem out of place in MK8.  Ninja Hideaway is probably the best original Tour course ported to MK8.

28 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Squeaky Clean Sprint & Yoshi's Island tracks, weren't these developed first for the MK8 DLC and then ported to Tour? 

It's actually the opposite, despite releasing for MK8 DX first.

Taken from the Mario Wiki about Squeaky Clean Sprint.

According to internal data, this course was created as a new course for Mario Kart Tour, despite being revealed and released for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first, similar to Sky-High Sundae and Yoshi's Island.

Anyway, was just curious about your thoughts on it. We all have tracks we don't like, anyway. (Coconut Mall for me) Still, thankful you tolerate them, because it's fun racing you.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

On 04/11/2023 at 12:51 AM, WackerJr said:

The first step is admitting you're an ingrate.

:grin:

On 05/11/2023 at 9:43 AM, lostmario said:

Squeaky Clean Sprint & Yoshi's Island tracks, weren't these developed first for the MK8 DLC and then ported to Tour?  I like those 2 as they feel like Mario Kart tracks unlike the Tour city based ones which just seem out of place in MK8.  Ninja Hideaway is probably the best original Tour course ported to MK8.

I get where you're coming from—I'd rate the real-world inspired levels as the least preferable tracks, too. They're a bit rigid; the way you bang of the curbs and stuff like that just doesn't feel like Mario Kart, imo. 

On 05/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, BowserBasher said:

Long Live Moo Moo Medows! LOL

Hear, hear! Nice sky, nice puddles, nice track.

• Haha 1

Patch notes for the update. 

Latest update: Ver. 3.0.0 (Released November 8th, 2023)

Support for DLC:

Added paid DLC: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass, Wave 6 (two cups, eight courses, four characters, 17 Mii racing suits).

General:

Added “Music” button to the top menu.

This is a feature where you can listen to the background music that plays during the game, as you like.

Even players who don’t own the Booster Course Pass can listen to the background music of the DLC courses.

Added feature where other players who aren’t friends can join in a Room.

After creating a room, press the + Button or – Button to display the Room ID on the Room screen, and tell your fellow racers the Room ID.

The other racers can join by entering the Room ID in “Search by Room ID.”

Made it so that you can create a Room even if you have 0 friends registered.

Added staff credits for the Booster Couse Pass.

Increased the invincibility time of a portion of characters and vehicle customizations.

Made it so that you can’t acquire strong items when taking an Item Box by stopping or driving in reverse, or taking an Item Box that is in same location multiple times during a race.

Shortened the time between when an Item Box is acquired by someone until it is restored.

Lowered the appearance rate of Mirror and 200cc in “Worldwide” and “Regional.”

Made it so you can acquire the “Varia Suit” when using a Metroid series amiibo.

Made it so you can acquire the “Hylian Suit” when using a Legend of Zelda series amiibo.

Made it so you can acquire the “Kirby Suit” when using a Kirby series amiibo.

Made it so you can acquire the “Daisy Suit” when using a Daisy amiibo.

Fixed Issues:

Fixed an issue where no Bob-omb car blows up in Wii Moonview Highway, but a Bob-omb car blows up for someone you are playing with online.

Fixed an issue where, when racing against a Ghost in Time Trials on Yoshi’s Island, the red road would not appear even though the Ghost touched the Winged Cloud.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Made it so that you can’t acquire strong items when taking an Item Box by stopping or driving in reverse, or taking an Item Box that is in same location multiple times during a race.

@S.C.G in utter shambles!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

@S.C.G in utter shambles!

I did laugh at this one. There must have been enough people doing this that Nintendo decided to patch it out. Though the last part is annoying if that means I get worse items if I take the same box each lap. I mean what if that box I take is the one that’s on the racing line? 

29 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I did laugh at this one. There must have been enough people doing this that Nintendo decided to patch it out. Though the last part is annoying if that means I get worse items if I take the same box each lap. I mean what if that box I take is the one that’s on the racing line? 

I'm gonna assume it's poor wording, and it actually means if you get the same item box from the same batch of items twice in one lap.

Naturally, this will be reset when you start a new lap.

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

DK Mountain transported me back to simpler times.

DK Mountain made me absolutely hate hairpin turns!
My setup is absolutely not suited to that. It's a bad sign when I have to brake to take those corners on 150cc!

Hey there, Funky Kong. Is that a surf board in your pocket, or...?

Seeing the sponsors listed at the end of the credits was a fun touch. Lends some authenticity to it.

uc?export=view&id=1QGqp3x7azrBQa03P3NIrh

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

DK Mountain made me absolutely hate hairpin turns!
My setup is absolutely not suited to that. It's a bad sign when I have to brake to take those corners on 150cc!

I just did it (the last four GPs) in 50cc and 100cc. At those speeds and level of competition it's pretty relaxed. I'm sure you'll get your racing line down pat before long.

25 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Seeing the sponsors listed at the end of the credits was a fun touch. Lends some authenticity to it.

It's a nice touch, but the standard credits did this as well.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's a nice touch, but the standard credits did this as well.

Wondered if that was the case. I may well have commented on it earlier in the thread too then.

Just now, darksnowman said:

Wondered if that was the case. I may well have commented on it earlier in the thread too then.

To be fair, it's been a long time.

I find it interesting that the final group photo shows every character except the non-Mario/DK ones. Clearly deliberate, I hope it's not a sign that they're gonna drop that idea in the next entry. I'd like to see more tracks set in other Ninty IP's.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

To be fair, it's been a long time.

I find it interesting that the final group photo shows every character except the non-Mario/DK ones. Clearly deliberate, I hope it's not a sign that they're gonna drop that idea in the next entry. I'd like to see more tracks set in other Ninty IP's.

It's only been the "65 hours or more" for me over the past couple of years as I came late to MK8 via an eShop ticket that was coming up for expiration. There was much deliberation over what to not buy physical, let me tell you. I likely sought guidance on here. Only reason I ended up in that situation was because they wouldn't hand over New Horizons on the day of release as lockdown restrictions were starting in shops! Even though it was right there and I was right there, they said they'd have to post it. As if I was giving up valuable time doing chores in Animal Crossing that first weekend to wait on the post. So eShop tickets it was.

Like everyone, I thought the next MK was imminent but here we are so at least it wasn't a total waste... even if I don't have a cart and box to show for the transaction. On the plus side, they are two handy games to know are always ready to go.

Next MK should keep the world of Nintendo and drop the real world. Think up better gravity stuff. Do, I don't know, top-down sections (because the bathtub track reminds me of Micro Machines). Wonder Seed mayhem. Mission Mode from MK DS. There's plenty they can do before yielding to open-world MK or a live service type game.

The biggest shock will be if the city/ Tour tracks come back with updated graphics and music and it's good to see them. :eek: 

I'm happy to see the Pauline resurgence but I honestly hope singing and a mic stand isn't going to be her schtick forever. 

• Like 1

I love that they added a sound test with this final update. You can even press Y to hear how the music changes on certain tracks, such as the underwater sections in dolphin shoals, the tunnel section in Super Bell Subway.

F-rhP2yakAABJfi?format=jpg&name=large

You can also hear all 4 versions of the music from the Animal Crossing track.

F-rhP2maMAAPpTa?format=jpg&name=large

I also like the new Mii costumes, they're perfectly ridiculous

F-rlfJ1aUAApo-_?format=jpg&name=large

F-rlfKDbIAAS5JY?format=jpg&name=large

I also like that they gave the booster course its own set of end credits with a nice medley of the music. The end screen is nice too, it reminds of the end splash screens a lot of Nintendo 64 games had.

Spoiler

F-rgnVJb0AAUGG5?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

3-starred the four last cups in 150cc. They gave me the most argy-bargy in Koopa Cape of all places. As Pauline, seeing DK heading up the chasing pack certainly gives you extra impetus not to get caught.

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

3-starred the four last cups in 150cc. They gave me the most argy-bargy in Koopa Cape of all places. As Pauline, seeing DK heading up the chasing pack certainly gives you extra impetus not to get caught.

Do you bother with 200cc?

I really should go back and play some of these new tracks. I don't think I've even played half of them yet.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do you bother with 200cc?

I really should go back and play some of these new tracks. I don't think I've even played half of them yet.

Gave it a go on the standard batch of cups to varying stars of success. I enjoy the extra speed but it would be better on tracks with more forgiving corners as I've never braked so much in any Mario Kart before. I'll crack on with Mirror Mode on the Expansion Pack cups then see how they fair in 200cc after that. At least with the city tracks still being an unknown quantity, there won't be too much muscle memory to do battle with in Mirror Mode. Same goes for the Tour tracks.

• Thanks 1