NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
killthenet

Rio 2016 Olympics

I still can't get over that green water.

Probably my favourite day of the games so far. Been gripped by it all. It's just such a shame swimming finals are at such a ridiculous time. I keep trying to stay awake for them but always fall asleep before they start.

I bloody love the Olympics.

To anybody who has any hang ups about watching the Rugby Sevens, I implore you to check it out. I'm not too interested in 15-a-side rugby, it can be very slow and have too many intricacies to be exciting but the 7's format is fantastic. Every match i've watched has been full of drama none more so than the last two GB matches.

The final takes place at 23:00 GMT with Great Britain taking on favourites Fiji, we're guaranteed at least a Silver but could well take the Gold.

Anyone watched the judo? That ish is brutal, especially when you're that athlete that's been pinned down, unable to do anything for the next 20 seconds, passively watching your Olympic dream go by... Or when a referee gives you one yellow suspect penalty and that's what knocks you out.

One of the reasons why training towards the Olympics has never been an ambition - so many variables based on pot luck. I feel for the athletes, though of course just making it to Rio is an achievement in itself.

Anyone watched the judo? That ish is brutal, especially when you're that athlete that's been pinned down, unable to do anything for the next 20 seconds, passively watching your Olympic dream go by... Or when a referee gives you one yellow suspect penalty and that's what knocks you out.

One of the reasons why training towards the Olympics has never been an ambition - so many variables based on pot luck. I feel for the athletes, though of course just making it to Rio is an achievement in itself.

I've seen a bit of the judo. It's quite enjoyable and it's been interesting learning the rules/how to win the match. I do find myself somehow missing all the crucial moments when the match is won, though. They just seem to come out of nowhere. It's really quick at times.

I've watched a little bit of it, mainly Conway's matches and it does seem really tough. Conway was on the verge of scoring three times in her semi final and ended up losing it in Golden Score, was so unlucky. I don't think i'm familiar enough with the specifics of it to totally understand any of it, but it's still been fun to watch.

Today was another great day for GB, especially in the cycling. As well as the gold in the Men's Team Sprint, we qualified fastest for both the Men's & Women's Team Pursuit, with the women even breaking the world record, so things look good for GB in the velodrome again.

Fiji were just too strong for us in the Rugby Sevens, but they were so brilliant to watch that it wasn't much of a disappointment to lose. They were one of the favourites and their performances throughout the tournament meant they thoroughly deserved to win the gold, and it's the first medal Fiji has ever won at an Olympic games, it was great to see how much it meant to them.

Really looking forward to the athletics starting tomorrow, Ennis-Hill and Johnson Thompson start their bids for Heptathlon gold at 13:35 and Jo Pavey goes in the 10,000m final at 15:10.

I have, since we had quite a few folk in that sport this year. Ended up being more interesting than I thought:

-One of our Judokas lost his match in Golden Score... after pinning his opponent for 9 seconds. So close!

-A newcomer nobody knew anything about won his first match in 8 seconds, which made me hopeful. In his second match he was, unluckily, pitted against the eventual Gold medalist, but it was a pretty close one.

(Also, can you imagine making it to the Olympics only to lose your first match in 8 seconds? Poor bloke)

-Our best Judoka lost a QF after a Yellow too many, but eventually made it to a Bronze medal match. She injured her shoulder mid-match, but still managed to win :yay: She had plenty of accolades, but she can finally add an Olympic medal to the list.

Also, the girl who got Gold in that same podium was the first Brazilian to win a Gold so far. Furthermore, she suffered racist comments from the press for her lacklustre performance in London, so it was a pretty great thing to see her winning.

It's been a really exciting few days for the Olympics in general and a really successful few for GB. The other countries must not know what to do in the Cycling, we just keep putting in incredible performances every four years and always have young guns coming through. The team pursuit squads were just incredible, the women broke the world record in every single round of the event and we've got two Brits fighting it out for Gold in the Men's Sprint Final tomorrow night, already guaranteed another gold medal.

The athletics has been a bit of a mixed bag for us so far, KJT and Ennis-Hill have done well but are looking really threatened by the Belgian Thiam who is putting together personal best performances in every event. KJT was really disappointing in the shot putt, not even breaking 12m but she's still in 3rd with two events to go, so hopefully both British girls can get a medal. The athletics in general has been really good so far though, the women's 10,000m race was won in a world record time that broke the old one by over 10 seconds (with 4 women dipping under the old Olympic record), the Women's Shot Putt final was a cracker and so was the Men's Discus earlier today.

Tonight could be an absolute classic again though, I've got my fingers crossed that we can repeat our feats of 'Super Saturday' from 2012, but i'm incredibly nervous. Ennis-Hill should be okay to win if she puts in a decent javelin, Mo is obviously the one to beat in the 10,000m but he's in great shape, but Rutherford was a bit ropey in the qualifying with two no jumps so he's probably the biggest outsider of the three again but he's a very consistent long jumper when he gets it right so will hopefully be in with a shout.

Who else is going to stay up to watch it?

If you're not watching already go put on the Men's tennis final RIGHT NOW. 3rd set about to start - Murray's strong & masterful, Del Potro is pushing himself beyond his own limits. It's a titanic final. Both fighting for every point.

EDIT: Apparently the final goes for a full 5 sets. I'm not even the biggest tennis fan but this is a treat.

Edited by gaggle64

One name: Mo Farah.

Legend.

The greatest British athlete of all time. It's the toughest win of his career so far, the Ethiopian's pushed him really hard but I think he still had a bit more to give on the home straight.

It was such a great night of athletics, everything was so competitive - especially the heptathlon where Thiam produced an incredible display to win gold and deny Jess Ennis-Hill the chance to retain her title.

Today has been absolutely incredible so far for GB, I was hooked on the golf and the gymnastics earlier flitting between the two, watching the tennis right now and hoping that Murray can beat Del Potro, I think he's got better fitness but Del Potro has shown he can dig deep. Fingers crossed he can do it.

I have, since we had quite a few folk in that sport this year. Ended up being more interesting than I thought:

-One of our Judokas lost his match in Golden Score... after pinning his opponent for 9 seconds. So close!

-A newcomer nobody knew anything about won his first match in 8 seconds, which made me hopeful. In his second match he was, unluckily, pitted against the eventual Gold medalist, but it was a pretty close one.

(Also, can you imagine making it to the Olympics only to lose your first match in 8 seconds? Poor bloke)

-Our best Judoka lost a QF after a Yellow too many, but eventually made it to a Bronze medal match. She injured her shoulder mid-match, but still managed to win :yay: She had plenty of accolades, but she can finally add an Olympic medal to the list.

Also, the girl who got Gold in that same podium was the first Brazilian to win a Gold so far. Furthermore, she suffered racist comments from the press for her lacklustre performance in London, so it was a pretty great thing to see her winning.

Aren't Portugal good at beach volleyball?

Another titanic struggle in the Men's Tennis Final and Murray has come through it to win his second gold medal, unbelievable. I think that might be the toughest final Murray has ever won - an absolute monster of a match.

Also great news for GB in the Boxing, Josh Buatsi with another dominant win and he's secured himself at least a bronze, but looks good to do even better than that.

I was so caught up in the tennis final I forgot to mention how great the golf was too, there have been so many great competitions over the last week, so much great sport to watch. I think this might be one of the best Olympics there's ever been.

Edited by killthenet

What a night in the athletics! Usain Bolt proves again that he is the greatest of all time, but Wayde Van Niekirk deserves the headlines - his 400m world record is up there with Bolt's world record breaking performances in the 100m & 200m as one of the greatest moments in athletics history. He absolutely demolished Kirani James and Lashawn Merritt and absolutely demolished Michael Johnson's 17-year old WR, an unbelievable performance.

In his last attempt Christoph Harting won the gold medal in discus throwing :) Unbelievable, just as unbelievable as his behaviour afterwards, especially during the award ceremony. He fooled about during the national anthem. He tried to be funny in an interview later ("I like good music, I like rythm and it's difficult to dance to the anthem") but his behaviour was disrespectful, especially to his team mate who won the bronze medal.

Last night our Hockey team came back after conceding 2:0 in the quarter finals. What a game...3 goals in the final 5 minutes with the winning goal in the last second. I watched it live and I couldn't fall asleep for 2 hours after that :laughing:

It is impressive due to the size of our island how successful we have been doing in recent olympics.

Also its refreshing to be proud of GB.

Aren't Portugal good at beach volleyball?

We're good at beach sports, yeah, but we never send a Beach Volleyball team. Portugal invests surprisingly little in sports other than Football (despite us having respectable Hockey and Volleyball teams), and our Olympic efforts are usually (if not always) underfunded, hence our consistently poor record.

Which is a shame, because Volleyball is well-loved around here, and it's consistently one of the most watched sports in Olympics. I'm sure we could do well if we invested more into it.

We're good at beach sports, yeah, but we never send a Beach Volleyball team. Portugal invests surprisingly little in sports other than Football (despite us having respectable Hockey and Volleyball teams), and our Olympic efforts are usually (if not always) underfunded, hence our consistently poor record.

Which is a shame, because Volleyball is well-loved around here, and it's consistently one of the most watched sports in Olympics. I'm sure we could do well if we invested more into it.

Ah yes, funding :/ Funding is probably why we have a lack of Greek representation in the games (or from what I can see), given their economy.

I had wanted to go to bed early-ish tonight but the athletics was completely gripping again. Da Silva winning the pole vault was incredible, to out jump possibly the greatest ever pole vaulter is some achievement. Was really great to see Brazil win another gold, the stadium wasn't even half full but the atmosphere was amazing, one of the moments of the games so far for sure.

I was away on holiday for week 1 but been absolutely loving this since I've got back.

The men's omnium points race (cycling) was incredible last night. 160 laps, took around 50 minutes and was gripping the entire time. It's such a great format, every 10 laps there's a sprint to gain 5 points. You get 20 points if you lap and catch back up with the pack. Mark Cavendish finally got his Olympic medal too which made the finale so exciting.

Was great to see Cav get a medal, but if he hadn't made a foolish error in the elimination race then he would have been very close to taking gold.

Fingers crossed for another successful day in the velodrome today, Laura Trotter should take the omnium gold and Kenny should win the keirin but anything can happen in those events. Becky James looks to be the fastest in terms of pure speed for the womens sprint, but again anything can happen in those races when they get tactical.

Tonight could also be really good for GB in the athletics with two serious medal contenders, Laura Muir in the 1500m and Andrew Pozzi on the 110m hurdles.

We stayed up late in Belgium to watch the Andy Murray match. I can't believe how often each player was broken and how they struggled to win their own service games. It really was strange. I really like Del Potro and thought he played excellently. Naturally, I'm glad to see Andy win another gold medal. Incredible, really.

The cycling last night was immense. Ali and I were glued to the TV from about 8pm onwards. Trott completely controlled the points race and took gold. Jason Kenny's kierin final will incredible too. 2 false starts and Kenny was very nearly DQ'd but obviously they just couldn't tell who it actually was - we'll definitely see some changes to the rules after this. When the race finally got going I thought he'd left his move too late but he timed it perfectly and just pulled ahead at the right time.

He's now the joint all time top British Olympian which is an incredible feat as he possibly has 2 more Olympics left in him. Chris Hoy performed when he was 36 and Kenny is only 28. A knighthood must be coming his way. Laura Trott will surely be getting honoured as well as the greatest British female Olympian.

It's funny how her name is Trott and she doesn't trot.

Should be called Laura Roll, right guys?

TAEKWONDO starts now guys :) Heavyweights tomorrow - please root for my London boys Mahama Cho & Lutalo Muhammed.

Sign in to follow this