NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Steep (Ubisoft New IP)

Defy and master the world’s most epic mountains on skis, wingsuit, snowboard, and in paraglide. Go solo or drop in side by side with other players. Record and share the most insane stunts ever captured. Dare your friends to try out your custom lines, then challenge the world to beat your best tricks and relive your most epic wipeouts. The mountain is yours to explore. So strap in, suit up, and drop in.

Looks good. Seems like an evolution of all of the extreme sports games that we used to get a few generations ago.

Played the alpha just now.

Way too slow, tricks are boring and overall it's just not fun :blank:

Edited by drahkon

I was hoping from the title that this would be about brewing tea.

So has anyone else been trying the open beta? I must say I've enjoyed it quite a bit, it seems like a pretty & well put together game. Just don't know if it would hold for the hours required to justify a full price purchase though.

I was browsing the site on my phone and thought the game was called "Sleep"

I was more than a bit confused when I started reading the description for an Extreme Sports game.

Put quite a bit of time into the Beta over the weekend and absolutely loved what I played. Was sceptical that it would play as well as it would but I really enjoyed how it felt skiing and snowboarding (though I'm not too keen on what I guess is the balance mechanic that goes mental if you're riding over rock) and the wingsuit handled extremely well too. Was so sweet managing to thread the needle on consecutive openings that essentially had you grinding the crack as it were. Wasn't overly fussed for the paragliding but given you're free to approach events as you please and explore as much as you want, you could pretty much ignore that.

Thought the game looked great, sure some of the trees look a bit shoddy but it's a good looking game, and loved that you could set it to a specific type of music. Found myself changing to match what I was doing, opting for chill when I was exploring for routes and something a bit more up tempo when doing challenges.

The main gripe is the trick mechanic doesn't really work that great. Doesn't help that the tutorial neglects to mention some of it but even then, some of it just didn't seem to work. Trying to do spins didn't seem to work in places or I'd do a really slow 360. Not expecting it's something that'll be ironed out for release but hoping subsequent post-release patches iron that out a bit. Also resulted in some control issues when on skis as more often than not, I'd land facing backwards and despite what the game was telling me (press up on the left stick and down on right) to turn round, the game wasn't having any of it. It's not touching SSX in terms of the controls and the manoeuvrability.

Still, I managed to reach level cap and most of the events available as well as setting up a couple of speed runs myself (found some great spots for speed that become really technical because of how bumpy the slope becomes) and loved every second of it. There's apparently a few things not included in the beta (at least I didn't see anyway to use them) like being able to use rock climbing gear and stuff so I'd be interested to see how that worked in the finished product.

I'm pretty much sold on what I played. Maybe not at launch as there's other things that I've been meaning to play but its definitely on the to buy list after that beta weekend.

Had a couple of goes on the beta, but wasn't too impressed with it, it all feels quite rough to me. The control is sluggish (not helped by the iffy frame rate) and visually it's pretty dull too. :blank:

I remember being blown away by the graphics of 1080 and Avalanche back in the day, and hadn't played a snowboarding game in ages, so was really looking forward to a current gen take on the sport, but yeah... disappointed. :sad:

Decided to give this another chance tonight, and man am I glad I did. It was like playing a completely different game! :o Seriously, I'm wondering if the problems I encountered before were because the game hadn't completely finished downloading. ::shrug:

Anyway, made lots of great discoveries in this just now, played alongside other players for the first time, did some challenges, and got to see what the mountains look like at sunset/night, which is actually quite stunning. :love:

Controls can still be a bit quirky at times, but nevertheless this now seems like it could be a real winner. :)

I remember being blown away by the graphics of 1080 and Avalanche back in the day, and hadn't played a snowboarding game in ages, so was really looking forward to a current gen take on the sport, but yeah... disappointed. :sad:

Every time I see a new snowboarding game, it just makes me want a new 1080 even more. Nothing else comes close to scratching that particular itch :hmm: