NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

Well done, Portugal. Good luck in the final. You'll need it...

I thought Wales were really poor in the second half. They came out too slow and they lost their shape too easily. The substitutions killed the game because that shape that they kept so well throughout the competition was lost and you had players struggling to make the right passes because they couldn't make out where their team-mates were. The fluidity was lost.

Bale played too much in deep midfield and not higher up the pitch. It killed any attack Wales had because there weren't enough numbers going forward. He tried to do it all himself tonight and there wasn't that trust there in the team to pull through together. This was a very "England" performance in that it didn't feel like they were a cohesive team tonight. Definitely the weakest performance so far this competition for them.

Buuuuut, they've been awesome throughout and to even make the semi-final is a huge fucking deal. I'm really proud of them and it's nice being able to see my friends from back home have something to cheer about. They've learned a lot from this competition and it's good for the future of the sport in Wales.

It's just you Mr Paul, Bale was great against Russia and he was in the first half tonight. Wales looked more attacking at the start of the second half, but unfortunately their gameplan changed after they went a goal down and so Bale ended up dropping into a deeper role and so was limited in what he could do in the second half.

The tournament is over for me now, I didn't think I'd be that bothered if Portugal won tonight, but its such a horrible, disappointing blow that I really don't give a shit about the tournament any more. I hope my negativity lifts over the coming days, but i'm just so hugely disappointed by the result that I don't think it will.

It's just you Mr Paul, Bale was great against Russia and he was in the first half tonight. Wales looked more attacking at the start of the second half, but unfortunately their gameplan changed after they went a goal down and so Bale ended up dropping into a deeper role and so was limited in what he could do in the second half.

The tournament is over for me now, I didn't think I'd be that bothered if Portugal won tonight, but its such a horrible, disappointing blow that I really don't give a shit about the tournament any more. I hope my negativity lifts over the coming days, but i'm just so hugely disappointed by the result that I don't think it will.

I was going to post a celebratory gif (there's a country-wide party going on right now), but it would probably feel disrespectful, and that wouldn't suit this game. I felt like everybody played well (aside from that mind-boggling last 5 minutes where the Portuguese squad seemingly lost the plot), and the second half was pretty fun to watch

I think lot was put on Bale's shoulders. He played pretty well, but it often seemed like he was attacking alone.

Sorry to hear that :( I understand, as I felt the same back in 2006, when we were eliminated in the semi-finals. Wales did well, though, and I do hope they get 3rd place.

I was going to post a celebratory gif (there's a country-wide party going on right now), but it would probably feel disrespectful, and that wouldn't suit this game. I felt like everybody played well (aside from that mind-boggling last 5 minutes where the Portuguese squad seemingly lost the plot), and the second half was pretty fun to watch

I think lot was put on Bale's shoulders. He played pretty well, but it often seemed like he was attacking alone.

Sorry to hear that :( I understand, as I felt the same back in 2006, when we were eliminated in the semi-finals. Wales did well, though, and I do hope they get 3rd place.

It has lifted slightly already, hoping that Ronaldo and friends can win on Sunday night. Not sure how up for watching the final I'm going to be, hopefully Murray wins Wimbledon on Sunday afternoon then it'll put me in a pretty decent mood.

Unfortunately for Wales and whoever loses tomorrow night I don't think there is a third placed game at the Euros. It sort of makes sense in a way, it must be difficult for the players to get themselves amped up for a dead rubber but they're usually enjoyable games at the World Cup.

It has lifted slightly already, hoping that Ronaldo and friends can win on Sunday night. Not sure how up for watching the final I'm going to be, hopefully Murray wins Wimbledon on Sunday afternoon then it'll put me in a pretty decent mood.

Unfortunately for Wales and whoever loses tomorrow night I don't think there is a third placed game at the Euros. It sort of makes sense in a way, it must be difficult for the players to get themselves amped up for a dead rubber but they're usually enjoyable games at the World Cup.

I hope Germany wins tonight. France is a bogey team for us, and Germany's been consistently defeating us for the past few tournaments, so it would be fantastic if we could finally overcome them at a final.

Really? Huh, I thought the tournament expansion meant there would be a 3rd place match. Bummer.

I hope Germany wins tonight. France is a bogey team for us, and Germany's been consistently defeating us for the past few tournaments, so it would be fantastic if we could finally overcome them at a final.

Really? Huh, I thought the tournament expansion meant there would be a 3rd place match. Bummer.

France is a bogey team for us

Whelp :(

Portugal is unlikely to win the whole thing, but if we manage to beat one of Spain, France or Germany, I'll be quite happy.

Upon retrospect, this sentence is an understatement. I honestly did not expect that we'd meet them only at the finals!

Força, Portugal!

France is a bogey team for us

Whelp :(

Portugal is unlikely to win the whole thing, but if we manage to beat one of Spain, France or Germany, I'll be quite happy.

Upon retrospect, this sentence is an understatement. I honestly did not expect that we'd meet them only at the finals!

Força, Portugal!

I was surprised that Germany didn't manage to score last night, France had looked really open against Iceland so I expected Germany to make a few clear cut opportunities but the lack of a recognised striker after Gomez' injury seemed to really hamper their attacking. They were totally on top for most of the first half but they didn't really create any clear openings. France were quite lucky to get the penalty, it was definite handball but must have been very hard for the referee to spot. After France went ahead they never really looked like losing it.

France will be the overwhelming favourites on Sunday, especially with the fantastic home support they will experience in Paris. It would be difficult for any one to make a case against France winning it now.

Still good luck for Sunday, Jonnas!

I was surprised that Germany didn't manage to score last night, France had looked really open against Iceland so I expected Germany to make a few clear cut opportunities but the lack of a recognised striker after Gomez' injury seemed to really hamper their attacking. They were totally on top for most of the first half but they didn't really create any clear openings. France were quite lucky to get the penalty, it was definite handball but must have been very hard for the referee to spot. After France went ahead they never really looked like losing it.

France will be the overwhelming favourites on Sunday, especially with the fantastic home support they will experience in Paris. It would be difficult for any one to make a case against France winning it now.

Still good luck for Sunday, Jonnas!

I'll try to make one: the Portuguese migrant community is huge in France and they had a day's advance to buy tickets, thus reversing the home advantage :heh:

More seriously, we're probably capable of attacking better than Germany did yesterday. Not sure about our defense, though, which is what worries me. If they blunder like they did against Hungary, we're done.

And wow, the TV just now is reminding the country that Portugal never beat France in a tournament... :woops:

I'll try to make one: the Portuguese migrant community is huge in France and they had a day's advance to buy tickets, thus reversing the home advantage :heh:

More seriously, we're probably capable of attacking better than Germany did yesterday. Not sure about our defense, though, which is what worries me. If they blunder like they did against Hungary, we're done.

And wow, the TV just now is reminding the country that Portugal never beat France in a tournament... :woops:

Portugal have only gone and done it, unlikely hero in Eder.

When Messi retires after losing another final Ronaldo goes and wins his a matter of weeks later.

Portugal have only gone and done it, unlikely hero in Eder.

When Messi retires after losing another final Ronaldo goes and wins his a matter of weeks later.

And you've done it when it mattered most! Bit of a scrappy game but to perform so well after Ronaldo went off was great. So happy for Ronaldo to have won it, amazing that Eder scored the winning goal too!

It's a shame for France not winning it in their own country, but they never looked at it today really and Deschamps took far too long to make the final sub.

Congrats Jonnas!

And you've done it when it mattered most! Bit of a scrappy game but to perform so well after Ronaldo went off was great. So happy for Ronaldo to have won it, amazing that Eder scored the winning goal too!

It's a shame for France not winning it in their own country, but they never looked at it today really and Deschamps took far too long to make the final sub.

Congrats Jonnas!

Possibly the least deserving winner after Greece...:hmm:

24 teams in the tournament are a horrible mistake.

Possibly the least deserving winner after Greece...:hmm:

24 teams in the tournament are a horrible mistake.

Thing is though, Portugal managed to win the final WITHOUT Ronaldo in the end.

Not a particularly great Euros overall though, quite a few games with barely any goals and the team that won it took every game but one to extra time and did almost the bare minimum to get through, but congrats to Portugal on winning.

Thing is though, Portugal managed to win the final WITHOUT Ronaldo in the end.

Not a particularly great Euros overall though, quite a few games with barely any goals and the team that won it took every game but one to extra time and did almost the bare minimum to get through, but congrats to Portugal on winning.