Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Could Pokémon work on a home console?

Retro_Link

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said home consoles couldn't work. I gave a way it could. As others have pointed out, the handheld console could do the same thing. You're quick at dismissing ideas but slow at following up conversations.

And let's not let a 20 year old title define what a game should be. The title could just as easily refer to the size of Pokemon in a pokeball.

My point was illogical? Great. Thanks. Want to elaborate on why you feel that way? On why you're just willing to dismiss? Or are you just going to insult and ignore?

I often find your opinions baseless but I try and at last engage you in conversation to give yourself the chance to explain. Would be polite to do the same.

You were comparing it to real life. That's what made it illogical.

It's just all these suggestions, they are aesthetic. They don't add anything to the actual core that is Pokémon in a way that would warrant the removal. Would they be cool? Sure. Is it worth dropping the portability? No.

But how many millions buy the games?

That's just the Play Pokémon events. People take their 3DSs with them. A friend of mine was playing on a train in Switzerland, saw someone else, and battled right then and there. There are countless instances when that happens.

Care to elaborate @Serebii?

Also, if NX was a hybrid it would rid you of your concerns :p

What if there's no/bad internet/signal? What would the course of action be there?

And yes, yes it would :p

We've had that, twice. It did not sell well. That's another thing that is pushing my argument.

A new Pokémon that literally the whole gaming community wants would be different to Stadium.

It could be an MMORP or an openworld RPG with online elements.

A friend of mine was playing on a train in Switzerland, saw someone else, and battled right then and there.

I could be sitting at home, see someone online and battle right there and then. Add in voice chat and there's a social element.

A new Pokémon that literally the whole gaming community wants would be different to Stadium.

It could be an MMORP or an openworld RPG with online elements.

I was talking Colosseum and XD. Home console story based games.

And "literally" the whole gaming community is quite an erroneous exaggeration.

Having to lug a home console so that they can continue to use their Pokémon because the games are now on home console?

Thus needing multiple tvs at the events, too.

It'd be a great hurdle of entry.

lol. Serebii the games are not now on home console..... there's just a home console Pokémon game.

...What if there's no/bad internet/signal? What would the course of action be there?

And yes, yes it would :p

Here's the solution:

Home console version has 2 save options; save to hard-drive & save to cloud.

Portable version has 2 save options; save to handheld/cartridge & save to cloud.

Both can sync with each other if you've only saved to the hardware and not to the cloud. You just load whichever file you so choose.

TA-DA! See how easy that was?

Here's the solution:

Home console version has 2 save options; save to hard-drive & save to cloud.

Portable version has 2 save options; save to handheld/cartridge & save to cloud.

Both can sync with each other if you've only saved to the hardware and not to the cloud. You just load whichever file you so choose.

TA-DA! See how easy that was?

Then if you only have the home console one, how can you attend events if there's no way to connect to the cloud at the event/

Then if you only have the home console one, how can you attend events if there's no way to connect to the cloud at the event/

If you only have the home console version, you'll tend not to give 2 shits about these events. If you did, you'd have bought the portable one!

Don't start with yet even more silliness!

Most franchises would kill for that level of hold, though. We're talking like a 2m sales fluctuation over 10 years between a console that ended up selling 150m units and one selling 60m units.

It's nowhere near the point that they have to think "shit, we really need to alter this drastically"

Not yet. Let's hope it doesn't get to that stage.

But, I mean, look at the main series figures. They're hard to ignore:

First entries into a generation - Millions of units sold

RBY - 31.38

GS - 23.10

RS - 16.22

DP - 17.63

BW - 15.6

XY - 14.46

Sure, 2 million down in ten years across four generations. But only DP has ever gone against that, and I mean, by generation (so, including third versions/sequels and remakes), things look a little different I guess:

Italics = no remake

Gen I (4 game total) - 46.02 - avg.=11.51

Gen II (3 game total) - 29.49 - avg.=9.83

Gen III (5 game total) - 34.54 - avg.=6.908

Gen IV (5 game total) - 37.95 - avg.=7.59

Gen V (4 game total) - 24.12 - avg.=6.03

Gen VI (4 game total?) - 25.92 - avg.=6.48

I guess this just shows once the initial Pokémania hype started to settle, it really settled.

I'd be amazed if the events didn't have WLAN...

Not every one does.

In November, I went to the London Regionals and I commentated it. However, the Internet there was shocking (our stream kept cutting out) and since there were so many people in such a confined space, phone signal was spotty at best.

And this was in London of all places

But those who'd create an event for the Pokémon game that @kav82 envisioned will do their best to provide sufficient access to internet.

It's not that simple, and it's irrational to assume so. People are limited by location, cost of hiring a place, signal coverage etc.

http://goo.gl/DJjXDn

Made a poll which I'm now looking to get around the fans. Pretty simple.

Would you or wouldn't you purchase an open world, MMORPG, Bank compatible beautiful (Unreal Engine 4) home console Pokémon game?

This thread has seriously raised the question, and I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

Never said it was simple. Everything has limits, I'm not an idiot.

I just said that they'd do their best...and even if there will be a portion of all the events that may not be perfect, the rest will be great.

I have no idea how you can be so stubborn and not be even a little open-minded about a new/different approach to a Pokémon game. Especially because it was you who said that people are so resistant to change and different stuff.

Ok, so let's say we go to a Pokémon event and the games have shifted to home console. Oh shit, I have to lug my console there.

Ok, I want to meet with a friend and battle. Oh shit, I have to lug my console there.

Here's a crazy idea.

There's both a portable AND a home console Pokemon game. You take the former to a Pokemon event. You play the latter at home.

CRAZY!

Stopping Pokémon moving forwards because "some places might not have internet" is silly. If everyone followed that logic we'd be stuck in the stone age.

A cloud option is totally the way forward. Save your Pokémon to the cloud, go to an event, log-in, and battle. No need to bring anything with you. You could have one universal Pokémon account that could stretch across a home console game, portable game and mobile.

And surely a system like this would stop any hacks/cheating too?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!