NEurope
bob

Your 2016 Film Diary

Well just not have sex with anyone. The risks seem to outweigh the benefits in this case...

Well just not have sex with anyone. The risks seem to outweigh the benefits in this case...

Haha. But there's only one of them! So noone knows about it. Really making work to explain the nuances of this hypothetical reality aren't you

Spent the last few days watching some sci-fi films I haven't seen for a long time. Ghost In The Shell stunning as ever, Contact at the same time interesting and infuriating - so many pointless moments and plot holes. Also watched two versions of Blade Runner, the Final Cut and the original Theatrical release. I didn't realise just how awful the narration is on the theatrical version, I don't think I'd ever actually watched it all the way through because I've always owned the DVD that has 5 versions in it. It's interesting to note the differences between them, but the Final Cut is clearly far superior, the narration in the theatrical version takes all the mystery out of the film - it feels so out of place and out of sync with the rest of the film.

"Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window."

Yeah, so I had a long post with some festival recommendations and comments on the films I've seen since then, but I've lost it. Fuck you vBulletin.

This list was the only thing I could recover, so you'll have to do with that.

Missed some films, but have caught up with most of them.

Joy ♥♥♥♥♥

Star Wars: the force awakens ♥♥♥♥♥

The hateful eight ♥♥♥♥♥

The hunger games: Mockingjay part 2 ♥♥♥♥

The big short ♥♥♥♥

Chevalier ♥♥♥♥♥

Las vacas con gafas ♥♥♥♥♥

The island funeral ♥♥♥♥

Lowlife love ♥♥♥♥♥

Bone tomohawk ♥♥♥♥

Suite Armoricaine ♥♥♥♥♥

Brand New-U ♥♥♥♥♥

El clan ♥♥♥♥♥

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Endorphine ♥♥♥♥♥

Motel mist ♥♥♥♥

Yakuza apocalypse ♥♥♥♥

Fado ♥♥♥♥♥

Right now, wrong then ♥♥♥♥♥

A woman, a part ♥♥♥♥♥

The love witch ♥♥♥♥

La novia ♥♥♥♥♥

Room ♥♥♥♥

Alba ♥♥♥♥♥

Fata morgana ♥♥♥♥♥

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Pieta in the toilet ♥♥♥♥

The shell collector ♥♥♥♥♥

Califórnia ♥♥♥♥

A copy of my mind ♥♥♥♥♥

Memories of the wind ♥♥♥♥

Girls lost ♥♥♥♥♥

The model ♥♥♥♥♥

Actor Martinez ♥♥♥♥♥

Les ogres ♥♥♥♥

Operation avalanche ♥♥♥♥

Keeper ♥♥♥♥

Esa sensasión ♥♥♥♥

Belgica ♥♥♥♥♥

Green room ♥♥♥♥

High rise ♥♥♥♥♥

100 yen love ♥♥♥♥♥

The assassin ♥♥♥♥♥

Legend ♥♥♥♥♥

99 homes ♥♥♥♥

The Danish girl ♥♥♥♥

Anomalisa ♥♥♥♥♥

An ♥♥♥♥♥

Pride and prejudice and zombies ♥♥♥♥♥

10 Cloverfield lane ♥♥♥♥

Hail, Caesar! ♥♥♥♥

Préjudice ♥♥♥♥

Deadpool ♥♥♥♥♥

Miss Hokusai ♥♥♥♥♥

Extraordinary tales ♥♥♥♥♥

The revenant ♥♥♥♥

Eddie the Eagle

Nothing remarkable about this film, but it was a "nice" film, if you know what I mean. An amusing British sports comedy. Stupidly not released in the Winter or coinciding with the Winter Olympics.

Zootropolis

Excellent. Really good. Clever. Funny. Brilliant animation. Go see it. Not much to say about it other than how good it was!

10 Cloverfield Lane

Nothing like the original, but still, a good film. Not too scary (it was only a 12A) but good tension throughout. Not sure about the ending though.

My 2016 List

Star Wars: The Force Awakens x 2

Daddy's Home

The Danish Girl

Creed

Room

Dirty Grandpa

The Revenant

The Big Short

Spotlight

Dad's Army

Deadpool

Triple 9

Grimsby

London Has Fallen

Hail, Caesar!

Allegiant

Eddie the Eagle

Zootropolis

10 Cloverfield Lane

Will probably catch Batman v Superman next weekend. Normally I'd have seen a film like that straight away but have been too busy with work!

Land of mine (Under sandet) ♥♥♥♥

Danish film about German soldiers (boys) who are ordered to clear the Danish beaches of mines. Nice drama, often exciting (will it go off, won't it??), though pretty simple. Still good though.

Spotlight ♥♥♥♥♥

Finally saw this. It's a bit like The big short in that it was a big Oscar contender which I found compelling despite the subject matter which in itself doesn't interest me.

A bunch of Boston reporters investigate the scandals of Catholic priests abusing children. It's compelling because the film plays out like a detective mystery. And that cast was just awesome.

Experimenter ♥♥♥♥♥

About the famous psychological experiment where people were led to believe they were administerings shock to people as punishment for getting questions wrong. The subject matter is extremely fascinating, but I didn't think the film worked as a whole. Partly of some style choices, partly because it raises a question which apparently hasn't been anwsered in the real world, which unfortunately also leads to a film which doesn't anwser that question.

In little over a week I'll have my next film festival coming up, whoei!

Though I have some other ("normal") films I'm seeing before that, Trumbo, Brooklyn, Mountains may depart amongst others.

Joy ♥♥♥♥♥

The hateful eight ♥♥♥♥♥

The big short ♥♥♥♥

Chevalier ♥♥♥♥♥

The island funeral ♥♥♥♥

Lowlife love ♥♥♥♥♥

Bone tomohawk ♥♥♥♥

Suite Armoricaine ♥♥♥♥♥

Brand New-U ♥♥♥♥♥

El clan ♥♥♥♥♥

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Endorphine ♥♥♥♥♥

Motel mist ♥♥♥♥

Yakuza apocalypse ♥♥♥♥

Fado ♥♥♥♥♥

A woman, a part ♥♥♥♥♥

The love witch ♥♥♥♥

La novia ♥♥♥♥♥

Room ♥♥♥♥

Alba ♥♥♥♥♥

Fata morgana ♥♥♥♥♥

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Pieta in the toilet ♥♥♥♥

Califórnia ♥♥♥♥

A copy of my mind ♥♥♥♥♥

Girls lost ♥♥♥♥♥

The model ♥♥♥♥♥

Actor Martinez ♥♥♥♥♥

Les ogres ♥♥♥♥

Operation avalanche ♥♥♥♥

Keeper ♥♥♥♥

Esa sensasión ♥♥♥♥

Belgica ♥♥♥♥♥

Green room ♥♥♥♥

High rise ♥♥♥♥♥

100 yen love ♥♥♥♥♥

The assassin ♥♥♥♥♥

Legend ♥♥♥♥♥

99 homes ♥♥♥♥

The Danish girl ♥♥♥♥

Anomalisa ♥♥♥♥♥

An ♥♥♥♥♥

10 Cloverfield lane ♥♥♥♥

Hail, Caesar! ♥♥♥♥

Préjudice ♥♥♥♥

Deadpool ♥♥♥♥♥

Miss Hokusai ♥♥♥♥♥

The revenant ♥♥♥♥

Batman vs Superman: dawn of justice ♥♥♥♥♥

Land of mine ♥♥♥♥

Spotlight ♥♥♥♥♥

Experimenter ♥♥♥♥♥

Edited by Sméagol

I heard good things about What we do in the shadows (namely that it is one of the films that are laugh out loud funny) and decided to watch it tonight.

It wasn't that good though. I only laughed once (at the rising out of the coffin gag in the first minute). It wasn't bad, just not in the same league as other hilarious films.

You didn't laugh at swearwolves? Come on! :P

I have Zootropia a chance, after that rotten tomatoes score (and comments here)

Zootopolis (or whatever) is excellent, well worth the almost an hour bikeride, haha. It's funny, sweet. and sometimes exciting. Visually it's on par with Pixar nowadawys, I think.. Some of the environments looked lush, even though you didn't get to see a lot of most of them. But the tiny mice, haha. Judy Hopps running around in mice town was hilarious, and all those cute little cars..

Anyway, it's fun.

Imagine film festival starting today (well it started yesterday, but this is the first day I'm going). I'll report back.

Fuck, didn't want to type that much. <sigh>

TLDR

My recommendations from the films I've seen roughly last week (mostly festival films):

They call me Jeeg robot ♥♥♥♥

Southbound ♥♥♥♥

Dust in the wind ♥♥♥♥

February ♥♥♥♥

The boy and the beast ♥♥♥♥

Veteran ♥♥♥♥

The witch ♥♥♥♥

And if that's still too much, at least see They call me Jeeg robot and The witch.

Below all individual films.

Nina forever ♥♥♥♥♥

Comedy/drama about a girl who falls in love with a guy who has trouble letting go of his dead ex-girlfriend. Which is not hard to imagine if your dead ex-girlfriend keeps physically appearing in your bed, all bloody.

Was ok. Had it moments, liked the ending, but feel they could have done more with it.

Italian superhero film. Oridinary smalltime criminal gets superstrength after being exposed to radio-active material. This was pretty great. Superpowers weren't too ridiculous (say similar to Captain America / Jessica Jones), which resulted in some grounded action scenes / battles. Being Italian, it didn't eschew explicit violence. Bag guy was great, and there was even a nice romance subplot. From all the festival films I've seen last week, this one is the one I recommend the most (it was the festival audience favourite as well).

The land of the enlightened ♥♥♥♥

This was shit. Should have been a documentary. It's about Afghan kids trying to make a living in a war-torn country (by selling old mines). Some nice shots, but it looks incredibly fake and is extremely boring.

Harcore Henry ♥♥♥♥♥

Probably doesn't need an introduction. I expected this to be very bad, but fascinating in a way, so I gave it a chance. It was better than expected. I thought it would be a gimmick (the whole film is in first person, for those not familiar) than would last to long, but they managed to keep it entertaining for 80 minutes, with action and jokes (and game references). Choreography was pretty great actually, from the fight scenes to the free running. But one warning, this is 10 times worse than the average shaky cam. If you don't like shaky cam, skip this one.

Southbound ♥♥♥♥

A collection of interwoven horror shorts, set in the south of the US. I liked most of the shorts, they were all different, ranging from slasher to monster horror.

The invitation ♥♥♥♥♥

Boring thriller. A guy is invited to a dinnerparty of his ex-wife, both traumatized by the loss of their child. The guy gets paranoid and thinks something is wrong with her new boyfriend and some unfamiliar guests.

The films repeats the process of having the guy throw a fit, then letting you thing he's just paranoid and there's no twist coming. By the time the twist actually comes, it's too little too late.

Nowhere girl ♥♥♥♥

Same applies to this Japanese thriller, but even worse. Add to that incredibly annoying piano music, remove any character development and actual drama. Fucking boring.

The similars ♥♥♥♥♥

Nice concept, bad execution. Some people are stranded in a busstation after heavy rain. One by one they are transformed, to look like one of the guys who's stranded there (think of the video for Window licker by Aphex Twin).

Liked the style, but the acting by the boy was terrible, and the story could've been fleshed out.

Project-M ♥♥♥♥♥

Nice Canadian sci-fi. In the near feature, some Canadian astronauts are on a mission in a spacestation in orbit around Earth. When they have only a few weeks left before their return (after 1000 days), a nuclear war errupts below them on Earth.. Whoops.

Liked the story, the characters were good, liked the set design of the space station.. With more budget, could've been great. The actors for side characters were terrible, and the scale feels to small for what you'd expect. Still, nice effort.

The lure ♥♥♥♥♥

Polish horror musical about two mermaids who start working in a nightclub.

A point for overall style, but there was no real story here. Side characters were introduced, with neglible impact on the story, it all felt too random.

Dust in the wind ♥♥♥♥

A re-release of a classic, from the director of The assassin. A young couple from Taiwan tries their luck in the big city. Not much of a story, more a slice of life film, as we follow mainly the guy of the couple. Although visually it doesn;t hold a candle to The assassin, I liked this better. But I'm a suckert for melancholic dramas.

February ♥♥♥♥

Horror about 3 girls and their connection to each other. I liked the atmosphere and story. The story is divided in chapters, each focussing on one of the girls, and slowly revealing their part in the overall story. I liked the way it was edited.

I am a hero ♥♥♥♥♥

Japanese zombie action comedy. Was entertaining, but could've been better. Main problem is the pacing, which I think is a problem with many Japanese films based on mangas. They try to stuff into one film content that was spread out over several mangas. Some great (action) scenes though, and some creepy zombies indeed, and often funny.

The survivalist ♥♥♥♥♥

Post-apocalyptic drama about a guy trying to survive in the wilderness, when he suddenly has to deal with a woman and her daughter looking for food and shelter. Nice drama about human nature and the will to survive.

Lovely anime, about a boy who runs away after his mother dies, and accidentally find the way to the beast world. Gets raised by a bear-like creature, who needs a pupil in order to be eligible to become the new lord. Sweet and funny.

Veteran ♥♥♥♥

South-Korean action comedy. Plenty of laughs to be had.

The witch ♥♥♥♥

Horror about a father who suspects his daughter is a witch.. Set in 1630 New England. Great atmosphere.

I saw Southbound and February last year at Tiff. Enjoyed them both - want them to get released properly now!

I finally watched Edge of Tomorrow, or whatever it got renamed to. It's a great film! It's such a shame it did so badly, because it really doesn't deserve it. Just shows that you really can't predict what films will do well, regardless of how good they are.

I finally watched Edge of Tomorrow, or whatever it got renamed to. It's a great film! It's such a shame it did so badly, because it really doesn't deserve it. Just shows that you really can't predict what films will do well, regardless of how good they are.

I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. I'm sure I saw some talk a week or two ago as well about a sequel coming.

Edge of tomorrow is great.

Since last post:

Mountains may depart ♥♥♥♥♥

Boring Chinese drama about a woman, and the men in her life. Well, it started out good, but it's divided in 3 chapters, the last one set in the future, where it looks like the director/writer lost his mind.

Tony ♥♥♥♥

Maybe not of much interest to you, it's a Dutch documentary about a Dutch brand of chocolate. They were handing out bars of chocolate to those who attended. 5/5. Seriously though, the brand (Tony Chocolonely) is known for trying to do better than "fair trade", and the documentary shows the brand's history. It's pretty funny, but also enlightening. I didn't know about the cocoa scandals that's apparently still a problem to this day. I've heard they were planning on getting into the UK market though.

Demolition ♥♥♥♥

Pretty good drama with Jake Gyllenhaal and Naomi Watts. About a guy trying to cope with the loss of his wife. Premise is a bit contrived, but I like how all the relationships are handled.

Captain America: civil war ♥♥♥♥♥

I've already commented on Captain America in its thread.

Brooklyn ♥♥♥♥♥

Ok drama with Saoirse Ronan, about an Irish girl who moves to the US in the 50s. Sweet and sometimes funny, but won't leave a lasting impression.

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Looking back at this hread, apparently I've made no comments whatsoever on the films I've seen at IFFR. This was one of them. You can see I rated it 3/5, and I mark films I've already seen in grey in my list. So apparently there was something about this film that made me want to see it again.. I usually reserve this for 4/5 or 5/5 films (which is why I rate them 4/5 and 5/5). It's a French horror drama, about a boy on an island inhabited by boys and women only (i.e no girls and men). There's not much dialogue or story, the film's main attraction is the atmosphere and pretty images. This is actually one of the few films I've seen at IFFR that I actually remember and again, apparently wanted to see again, and I can attribute this solely to the film's atmosphere, which is a pretty big feat.. Atmosphere is important to me, but I generally need more than that to enjoy a film. But this film's blend of mystery, melancholy and creepyness apparently does it for me.. That plus one of the last scenes being downright sensual.

I should probably rate it higher than I currently do.. Make it at least a 3.5/5, perhaps a 4 even.

Trumbo ♥♥♥♥

Pretty good drama about a Communist Hollywood writer in the 50s. Pretty funny at times, great (supporting) cast. I mean, I'm in love with Elle Fanning, but it's also great to see the likes of Louis C.K. and John Goodman is serious but funny roles. This is a films that made me want to go to the cinema, while I was at a cinema. Effective.

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

And another films I've already seen at IFFR, only this time one that was actually one of my favourites, so watching it again was a given. Danish dark modern fairytale with black humour. Mads Mikkelsen looking ugly. About 2 men who discover their father is not their biological father, and set out meet him, their other half brothers, and find out about their mothers (since apparently all 5 of them have different mothers). Incredibly funny (though may be a bit of an acquired taste in that regard), incredible atmosphere (due to the music and the setting, the island but mostly the old house the 3 other half brothers live in) and great story. This is a must-see in my opinion.

Monsieur Chocolat ♥♥♥♥♥

Ok French drama about the first black clown in France, set around 1900. Interesting story, but I thought the script could've been better, especially after comparing it to what Wikipedia says about the real guy the film's based on. I felt some things could've handled better, like his love interests, or gambling addiction.

A bigger splash ♥♥♥♥♥

Meh. Great cast, but in the end, I've no idea what to do with this.

Joy ♥♥♥♥♥

The hateful eight ♥♥♥♥♥

The big short ♥♥♥♥

Chevalier ♥♥♥♥♥

The island funeral ♥♥♥♥

Lowlife love ♥♥♥♥♥

Bone tomohawk ♥♥♥♥

Suite Armoricaine ♥♥♥♥♥

Brand New-U ♥♥♥♥♥

El clan ♥♥♥♥♥

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Endorphine ♥♥♥♥♥

Motel mist ♥♥♥♥

Yakuza apocalypse ♥♥♥♥

Fado ♥♥♥♥♥

A woman, a part ♥♥♥♥♥

The love witch ♥♥♥♥

La novia ♥♥♥♥♥

Room ♥♥♥♥

Alba ♥♥♥♥♥

Fata morgana ♥♥♥♥♥

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Pieta in the toilet ♥♥♥♥

Califórnia ♥♥♥♥

A copy of my mind ♥♥♥♥♥

Girls lost ♥♥♥♥♥

The model ♥♥♥♥♥

Actor Martinez ♥♥♥♥♥

Les ogres ♥♥♥♥

Operation avalanche ♥♥♥♥

Keeper ♥♥♥♥

Esa sensasión ♥♥♥♥

Belgica ♥♥♥♥♥

Green room ♥♥♥♥

High rise ♥♥♥♥♥

100 yen love ♥♥♥♥♥

The assassin ♥♥♥♥♥

Legend ♥♥♥♥♥

99 homes ♥♥♥♥

The Danish girl ♥♥♥♥

Anomalisa ♥♥♥♥♥

An ♥♥♥♥♥

10 Cloverfield lane ♥♥♥♥

Hail, Caesar! ♥♥♥♥

Préjudice ♥♥♥♥

Deadpool ♥♥♥♥♥

Miss Hokusai ♥♥♥♥♥

The revenant ♥♥♥♥

Land of mine ♥♥♥♥

Spotlight ♥♥♥♥♥

Experimenter ♥♥♥♥♥

Zootropolis ♥♥♥♥♥

Nina forever ♥♥♥♥♥

Harcore Henry ♥♥♥♥♥

Southbound ♥♥♥♥

The invitation ♥♥♥♥♥

Nowhere girl ♥♥♥♥

The similars ♥♥♥♥♥

Project-M ♥♥♥♥♥

The lure ♥♥♥♥♥

Dust in the wind ♥♥♥♥

February ♥♥♥♥

I am a hero ♥♥♥♥♥

The survivalist ♥♥♥♥♥

Veteran ♥♥♥♥

The witch ♥♥♥♥

Tony ♥♥♥♥

Demolition ♥♥♥♥

Brooklyn ♥♥♥♥♥

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Trumbo ♥♥♥♥

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Monsieur Chocolat ♥♥♥♥♥

A bigger splash ♥♥♥♥♥

And since I apparently didn't post about IFFR, here are my favourites:\

Bone tomahawk ♥♥♥♥

A western horror.. I wouldn't watch the trailer, it's too damn long and shows too much.

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Commented on above.. Trailer probably also shows too much.

The love witch ♥♥♥♥

Purely for the 60s style and visuals. And the hot actress.

Pieta in the toilet ♥♥♥♥

Japanse film about a terminally ill guy. Pretty funny for a melodrama. Sorry, can't find an English subbed trailer.

Turkish WW2 melodrama.

Les ogres ♥♥♥♥

French drama about a traveling circus theatre.

Project Avalanche ♥♥♥♥

About some guys tasked with faking the moonlanding. Incredibly funny, super low-budget, but very effective despite that. Apparently they didn't bother making a trailer (yet?) so I'll leave you with the website.

Green room ♥♥♥♥

Neo nazi horror with Patrick Stewart.

Edited by Sméagol

Midnight special ♥♥♥♥♥

Sci-fi from the director of Mud and Take shelter. Had high hopes for this one, but it disappointed. About a guy who bring his son from point A to point B.. and that's pretty much it.

The jungle book ♥♥♥♥

Shit as expected, Rotten Tomatoes score be damned.

El desconocido ♥♥♥♥♥

Mildly entertaining Spanish thriller about a guy and his car driving a boobytrapped car. Didn't feel realistic though (in how the cops and bombsquad acted).

Creative control ♥♥♥♥

Cool low-budget sci-fi comedy. Marketing guy creates an avatar of the girl he's in love with with the help of a new Augmented Reality product.

X-men: Apocalypse ♥♥♥♥♥

I dunno. I was properly entertained, but I guess I don't need to see it a 2nd time anytime soon. Great action and enough laughs to be had, though story-wise, yeah. Could've been better. Make it a 3.5.

The nice guys ♥♥♥♥♥

Awesome buddy detectives film, with plenty of black humour. Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe are trying to find a girl. Cool 70s vibe. Ryan Gosling's character's sassy daughter is the real star. GO SEE IT.

Joy ♥♥♥♥♥

The hateful eight ♥♥♥♥♥

The big short ♥♥♥♥

Chevalier ♥♥♥♥♥

The island funeral ♥♥♥♥

Lowlife love ♥♥♥♥♥

Bone tomohawk ♥♥♥♥

Suite Armoricaine ♥♥♥♥♥

Brand New-U ♥♥♥♥♥

El clan ♥♥♥♥♥

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Endorphine ♥♥♥♥♥

Motel mist ♥♥♥♥

Yakuza apocalypse ♥♥♥♥

Fado ♥♥♥♥♥

A woman, a part ♥♥♥♥♥

The love witch ♥♥♥♥

La novia ♥♥♥♥♥

Room ♥♥♥♥

Alba ♥♥♥♥♥

Fata morgana ♥♥♥♥♥

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Pieta in the toilet ♥♥♥♥

Califórnia ♥♥♥♥

A copy of my mind ♥♥♥♥♥

Girls lost ♥♥♥♥♥

The model ♥♥♥♥♥

Actor Martinez ♥♥♥♥♥

Les ogres ♥♥♥♥

Operation avalanche ♥♥♥♥

Keeper ♥♥♥♥

Esa sensasión ♥♥♥♥

Belgica ♥♥♥♥♥

Green room ♥♥♥♥

High rise ♥♥♥♥♥

100 yen love ♥♥♥♥♥

The assassin ♥♥♥♥♥

Legend ♥♥♥♥♥

99 homes ♥♥♥♥

The Danish girl ♥♥♥♥

Anomalisa ♥♥♥♥♥

An ♥♥♥♥♥

10 Cloverfield lane ♥♥♥♥

Hail, Caesar! ♥♥♥♥

Préjudice ♥♥♥♥

Deadpool ♥♥♥♥♥

Miss Hokusai ♥♥♥♥♥

The revenant ♥♥♥♥

Land of mine ♥♥♥♥

Spotlight ♥♥♥♥♥

Experimenter ♥♥♥♥♥

Zootropolis ♥♥♥♥♥

Nina forever ♥♥♥♥♥

Harcore Henry ♥♥♥♥♥

Southbound ♥♥♥♥

The invitation ♥♥♥♥♥

Nowhere girl ♥♥♥♥

The similars ♥♥♥♥♥

Project-M ♥♥♥♥♥

The lure ♥♥♥♥♥

Dust in the wind ♥♥♥♥

February ♥♥♥♥

I am a hero ♥♥♥♥♥

The survivalist ♥♥♥♥♥

Veteran ♥♥♥♥

The witch ♥♥♥♥

Tony ♥♥♥♥

Demolition ♥♥♥♥

Brooklyn ♥♥♥♥♥

Évolution ♥♥♥♥♥

Trumbo ♥♥♥♥

Men & chicken ♥♥♥♥♥

Monsieur Chocolat ♥♥♥♥♥

A bigger splash ♥♥♥♥♥

Midnight special ♥♥♥♥♥

The jungle book ♥♥♥♥

El desconocido ♥♥♥♥♥

Creative control ♥♥♥♥

X-men: Apocalypse ♥♥♥♥♥

The nice guys ♥♥♥♥♥

Edited by Sméagol

I watched 'Approaching The Unknown' last night, a small scale sci-fi film starring Mark Strong. It's sort of like a reverse of 'The Martian' with the plot following the main characters struggles to survive the trip to Mars, rather than than trying to survive long enough to be rescued. It's a good film, but not spectacular and at times a really interesting, intimate character study. Definitely worth checking out for those who enjoy unconventional science fiction.

^ That looks really interesting. I'm a big Mark Strong fan so I'll check it out - doesn't seem to be getting a proper UK release though so might have to wait.

Has anyone seen the new Ghibli flick yet?

when-marnie-was-there-02.jpg

A little baggy in the middle and a little less fantastical than would be expected from the studio but I found it to be incredibly moving by the end.. to the extent that I was practically in floods of tears. Quite beautiful, and surprising in it's tone (keeping it vague for spoilers). I highly recommend!

Edited by dan-likes-trees

I'm real mad there's now showing of When Marnie Was There near me. Might check out the book though.

Went to see Warcraft last night. Had an urge to see it, despite all the reviews saying it was rubbish. Even if it was crap, sometimes it's fun to watch a wank film.

Anyway, it was fantastic! Such a good film. Sure it had some ropey dialogue in places, but overall it was a really good film. Might have helped that i wasn't expecting much, but i really don't think it deserves the reviews it's getting. I reckon it's a solid 7/10.

Also i saw this interview with the director, where the interviewer was a gigantic arsehole, so that makes me like the film even more.

I went into Warcraft with no expectations, except that it's almost certainly be rubbish. I was also pleasantly surprised; I really enjoyed it. It helped that I've been a fan of the franchise since Tides of Darkness. I'd happily watch a sequel.

This is genuine but I too went to see Warcraft and thought it was quite shit. The action was awesome, CGI was awesome but I found the story to be hit and miss (mostly miss) and I seriously hated every character. I'm not a fan of WoW but I didn't expect anything.

I just hope The Conjuring 2 is good!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My friends and I all agreed that if you're not a fan of Warcraft, the chances of enjoying it are slim.

I've never played Warcraft, and neither had the guy I was with, and we both enjoyed it.

I've just seen The Lobster.

Extraordinary.

There's so much I could say, but one thing is most remarkable to me:

Everything you see in the movie, like cars, the city, trees, animals, people, chairs, water, clouds...everything feels out of place, seems weird, simply doesn't fit.

It's difficult to describe. When I walk through the streets and see a car...well, it's the most normal thing in the world.

When a car was seen in the movie...it was just odd. It didn't seem right. Even though the world and everything inside it (besides the most obvious absurdly dystopian aspects) were the same as ours, it felt kind of...wrong?

:laughing:

I think it's an incredible feat for a movie/director/screenwriter to achieve something like that.

Wonderful film, though definitely not for everyone.

Haven't updated for a loooong time - the end of March in fact! Haven't been going to the cinema as much as usual lately due to lots of work/music festivals. Let's recap, in brief so it doesn't take me all night long.

Batman v Superman

Meh. Worst superhero movie of the year. Didn't like Batman in it.

Midnight Special

This was dull. Can't remember much about it, tbh.

The Jungle Book

Nice, deserves most of the praise it got, but it didn't live up to the original for me. A spectacle, but you'd probably lose that wow factor on repeat viewings.

Eye in the Sky

Gripping political thriller. One of the last films with Alan Rickman in. Enjoyed.

Captain America: Civil War

Watched it twice. Loved it so much. Up there with the best Marvel films. #TeamCap

Bad Neighbours 2

Pretty funny. Pretty much a rehash of the first one.

Green Room

Intense. Patrick Stewart as the leader of a Neo Nazi cult. Horror thriller. One of the last appearances of Anton Yelchin before his unfortunate death. Did I enjoy it? No, because it had me on the edge of my seat! It was good though.

X-Men: Apocalyse

Fine. Enjoyed it. Quicksilver scene went on too long. If I'm to rate superhero films so far this year: 1) Civil War 2) Deadpool 3) X-Men 4) BvS

Our Kind Of Traitor

Based on a John le Carré novel, starring Ewan McGregor. An enjoyable spy thriller.

The Nice Guys

LOVED this. Really funny. So entertaining. One of my highlights of the year so far.

Money Monster

Great performances from George Clooney, Julia Roberts and Jack McConnell. Both funny and thrilling.

Independence Day: Resurgence

Can't actually remember much of the original, I think I've only seen it once. This was fine. Enjoyable bit of sci-fi, but nothing special.

Never got around to seeing the likes of Warcraft/Alice/Gods of Egypt, which I probably would've if I hadn't been so busy lately.

My 2016 List

My 2016 List

Star Wars: The Force Awakens x 2

Daddy's Home

The Danish Girl

Creed

Room

Dirty Grandpa

The Revenant

The Big Short

Spotlight

Dad's Army