NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

The TV Licence

I imagine some of it goes to maintaining the broadcast hardware that is shared by all the channels.

I would say that that aspect is paid for by all the mobile telephone companies that they have sold their spare signal space to, or that could just be radio waves. Which the BBC could be making a killing on.

I find it absolutely fucking absurd the Premier League, the most popular league in the world, doesn't show a single fucking match on terrestrial TV in the country it is based in.

I stopped following football because it's just so hard to actually watch a match. Highlights aren't good enough for an interest you are meant to feel passionate about.

I actually avoid thinking about it because it makes me so angry.

As for the Champions League...it was only a matter of time.

Fuck that.

The more I think on it, the more I think it's a crock of shit. Unless there's a World Cup/European Championship/International Game, there's very little football that will be shown at all. Especially domestic. I can't believe it's been allowed to get to this stage.

The TV licence annoys me too. Why do I need a licence to watch non-BBC TV? Why do all the channels not get funding from it?

Absolutely this. We should be able to opt-out yet still have access to the channels that aren't run by the BBC.

We do get hit with the shit stick. ITV, Channel Four, etc have advertisements. BBC STILL has advertisements (fuck you, it still counts), so...why are we paying this fee again?

You know what, I wish television was a bit more like Spotify. You pay roughly the same money in terms of fees, yet you have no-advertisements, access to a huge library on demand. You know what else? It works abroad, too. I can't watch iPlayer in Belgium despite paying for my tv licence.

BBC doesn't make any money from its "advertisements". They're promotions for their own shows. They don't get money for them. They give people a chance to get a drink/go to the loo/whatever between programmes and letting you know of upcoming programmes. Running from one show straight into another just wouldn't work. Commercial channels pay for their programming through adverts. BBC funds its programming through the licence fee.

If all you're interested in is sport, yeah, that's a bummer. It isn't BBC you should be annoyed at though, but the commercial companies pushing the prices up. It's capitalism at its finest.

Netflix etc. wouldn't have half as many decent programmes without the BBC's output.

BBC News is a great news outlet that's respected around the world without commercial interest (although I do believe it is too friendly to the current government, their paymasters) - funded by the licence fee. Local news coverage would decline without the BBC because it just isn't that profitable. They also contribute to infrastructure projects like nationwide broadband rollout, the introduction of freeview and the development of future broadcast technologies like 4K and 8K TV (though that's quite a long way off).

It's a public service, and one that I believe would be extremely missed if we didn't have it. I find some of the views in here quite contradictory - don't want to pay the licence fee but complain the BBC don't have any of the sport - they can't pay for the rights without our money! Their budget is being effectively sliced by the fee being frozen, hence more and more rights going to BT/Sky. I'd be happy to pay a higher licence fee for more sporting rights and to stop the closure of BBC Three.

I also am in favour of the BBC :P It has one of the best News outlets on the planet for neutrality.

I also am in favour of the BBC :P It has one of the best News outlets on the planet for neutrality.

Don't tell that to Yes voters!

I like the BBC but I do think the pricing is a bit much.... For how very very rarely I watch any terrestrial TV I feel like i'm really not getting my monies worth.

Most TV I watch are paid channels on sky, like skyone and comedy central - are those required to also have a tv licence? Its really very grey and nobody i know seems to know for definite

I like the BBC but I do think the pricing is a bit much.... For how very very rarely I watch any terrestrial TV I feel like i'm really not getting my monies worth.

Most TV I watch are paid channels on sky, like skyone and comedy central - are those required to also have a tv licence? Its really very grey and nobody i know seems to know for definite

Yes, any live tv, or recorded live tv (such a watching from a Sky Plus box) requires a tv license.

On demand tv such as Netflix or even BBC's I-player (unless you're watching a show live) do not.

The BBC aren't always neutral on news they report and they also don't report all the news.

The reporting on fighting in Gaza has a bias towards Israel and they're not even reporting Pig-gate.

they're not even reporting Pig-gate.

Well they aren't a tabloid and it's a non-story so that's probably why.

Well they aren't a tabloid and it's a non-story so that's probably why.

They've reported on every slanderous story about "left-wing" Jeremy Corbyn.

I understand Dennis Skinner wasn't too happy with Emily Maitlis recently either! /offtopic

They've reported on every slanderous story about "left-wing" Jeremy Corbyn.

After 2 minutes on BBC News I've managed to find 2 different articles relating to the Cameron story, of course, none of them mention it specifically but they look at the bigger picture.

I understand Dennis Skinner wasn't too happy with Emily Maitlis recently either! /offtopic

He's the MP in the constituency I grew up in. Love the man.

I didn't realise Jeremy Corbyn was left wing?!

Sometimes he plays on the right, other times he's behind the striker in the number 10 position.

Sometimes he plays on the right, other times he's behind the striker in the number 10 position.

His special quality on Xpert11 is 'All Rounder'.

Sign in to follow this