N-Europe

Mad Max

Retro_Link

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up the game myself, as I haven't played any of the MGS games (other than the demo for Sons of Liberty which came with Zone of the Enders) so a bit apprehensive of picking up 5 when I'm not sure how it'll sit with me, so hoping I'll get a chance to put in some time this evening and give some impressions either tomorrow or Thursday.

Visually though, it looks incredible in the gameplay footage and reviews that are going round (the light effects when the sandstorms kick up look gorgeous) and sounds to be pretty solid so hopefully I'll get some good mileage out of it.

As an aside though, I did baulk at GAME's attempt to make people pay 25% more in store than online for the game (£40 on their website and £50 in store :blank:) but thankfully I got my copy elsewhere. Really can't quite understand how they're managing to keep going with that and the MGS V pre-order cock-up.

Put in a little time on this over the weekend and while it's still early days, I've mostly enjoyed what I've played of it but there are some niggles that are eating away at me.

Firstly, the controls and the mapping of things is pretty awful. I know there's an alternate control scheme but it doesn't really alleviate some of the awkwardness that there is in the controls. Jumping and dodging on the shoulder buttons/triggers for example and having your shotgun/weapon assigned to the circle button doesn't work as, like yourself @DriftKaiser, I keep pressing the circle button thinking it's dodge and wasting ammo. :shakehead Perhaps it's something that will eventually click and be less problematic the more I play but at the moment it is a little off putting.

Visually, the game looks great in terms of the environment and the weather and lighting but the character models are really ropey. They dropped the ball on them but it's a slight downer on a game which can look beautiful at times. When a sandstorm kicked up when I was playing the game the other day, the lighting and effects were gorgeous. Same goes for the explosions but this being made by Avalanche Studios, they kind of already had that one nailed thanks to Just Cause.

In terms of the gameplay so far, I'm finding myself agreeing with some of the reviews in that the car stuff seems great but the on foot bits aren't quite up to snuff. I saw someone say that it feels like a cross between Batman, Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor and I'd probably agree with that. Can scope out strongholds and areas from a stationary balloon to let you see what each location has for you to tackle and gives you a bit of intel on each and as you start taking down snipers nests, scarecrows and strongholds, the enemy starts to lose its grip on the location until it's liberated, though you'll still get convoys or other vehicles driving round the wastelands.

Combat is straight up Arkham series though seems a little simplified here. Just beat up the enemies enough without taking your own hits, then you'll activate Fury mode and throw strong hits. Standard fare for games nowadays really in terms of the mechanics at play here. It's good but could be a little more fleshed out but I suppose the game isn't supposed to be about building combos and such.

The driving bits are pretty good though. Driving mechanics are solid even if the handbrake isn't exactly as useful as it could be. They're maybe a bit on the finicky side of things, a little wobbly perhaps from what I've played but again that may change once I get into it more.

So yeah, early days yet but enjoying it. Do wonder if the allure of the wasteland will wane as some reviews suggest with repeating similar tasks and collecting scrap but currently, it's a pretty solid game and some of the reviews which have been scathing are, in my opinion, pretty far off the mark (particularly that Kotaku review which was just muck).