N-Europe

Critically acclaimed games you couldn't get on with

Anyway, just wanted to say to give a chance to Mother 3 at one point, regardless of your opinion of Earthbound. It's a much better game.

I second this. Mother 3 is a true masterpiece.

Anyway, the one critically acclaimed game I just can't enjoy would be F-Zero GX.

Don't get me wrong, I recognise it's a great game, but it's far too fiddly for my liking. To be fair, the whole series just makes me instantly want to play something else.

For the same reason, I'd also put Super Mario Kart in this group actually.

I've already explained that this game's oversensitive handling and the sheer cheek of the CPU opponents just make the whole thing an ordeal.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earthbound

I waited years to play this game and once it hit the Virtual Console I bought it straight away. Man, the game is absolute chore to play and probably a product of its time.

Every magazine under the sun rated this game highly back in the day but I just don't see the appeal. The inventory system is shocking at the start, the setting is weird and the battle system is broken at times.

It does do one thing right and that's the automatic killing of enemies if you are powerful enough. It makes for some easy grinding.

I've still not finished the game but i'm determined to beat it. I keep popping in and out of it but my play sessions don't last that long due to the issues I have with it.

I am with you on this one. The battle system in this game is the same as the one bundled with RPG maker (unbelievably crappy front on view of enemies). It has cutesy graphics that have lent it a sort of iconic status but the actual gameplay mechanics either haven't aged well or just bored me solid. This was probably about 9 years ago, mind.