NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Let's turn it around then!

If the detachable controller rumour turns out to be true, what games do you think will have their own add-ons and what will they do?

(Open question, not just to you)

The Wii remote IS the add-on.

Connect two wiimotes to the sides through the bottom port and you've got handlebars for the next Excitebike!

Let's turn it around then!

If the detachable controller rumour turns out to be true, what games do you think will have their own add-ons and what will they do?

(Open question, not just to you)

I'm guessing games can just come with their custom controls packed in. slide the old one out (maybe having a lock aka the wiimote motionplus attachment).

With the ir interface I suppose it broadens the range of inputs they could have, if it registers quality of the ir not just on off? (probably it is just digital on/off though).

I can't imagine specific games and how they'd make use of that, but microphone, single button, camera, heat sensor, gyro's... most of that would be standard though?

Maybe upgrade shoulder buttons.

Or VC controls?

My real concern is the durability of taking apart and putting together this thing repeatedly.

I don't see that being a problem - look at the nunchuck, plugging in power cables into mobile phones etc.

So if that's all you were saying, why quote me on this:

If they want their console sales to increase and not decrease then they do need to start providing a wider breadth of games and also a wider breadth of variety within their genres.

And say this:

There's a huge breadth of games on their console, that's been proven, made all the more impressive because they come from a single developer. If any console is lacking variety I would say it's the competition, who are rescued by indie games and download titles...

..? ::shrug:

Anyhoo, by combining the 3DS and WiiU output, it looks a lot better, but still by no means where it could do with being. 3rd Parties are desperately needed!

The FIFA situation is concerning. It would appear that NX will be more than capable of running a fully fledged FIFA and it smacks of de ja vu if NX gets a downscaled version which doesn't do great numbers and EA use this to pull support from the system.

Nintendo need to be bending over backwards to get the top 2-3 third party publishers on board and they're just to bloody stubborn to realise it.

There's a huge breadth of games on their console, that's been proven, made all the more impressive because they come from a single developer. If any console is lacking variety I would say it's the competition, who are rescued by indie games and download titles.

Wii U - games from mostly just Nintendo.

PS4 - games from most developers currently making games.

Absolute lunacy Ronnie; not a person here agrees with you!

Wii U - games from mostly just Nintendo.

PS4 - games from most developers currently making games.

Absolute lunacy Ronnie; not a person here agrees with you!

You're missing the point again. I'm talking about breadth of genres from Nintendo's own studios. You're talking about quantity of titles on an entire console.

Breadth of titles on the Wii U versus breadth of titles on the PS4, that's all this is about.

Once again - nobody should give a flying fuck about 'how well' Nintendo do for one developer compared to say Sony. Nintendo have a console and the games on that console should be as diverse as those available on other consoles if they want lots of people to pick it up. They are not.

Edited by Sheikah

In fairness to @Ronnie I think his point is that whilst the Wii U is criticised for being platform heavy (which it certainly is) PS4 and XB1 are just as shooter heavy but don't get the same criticism. I don't think it's fair for everybody to jump on his back because perhaps he didn't articulate his point well enough.

You're missing the point again. I'm talking about breadth of genres from Nintendo's own studios. You're talking about quantity of titles on an entire console.

I'd argue that the entire console discussion is far more important than the developer one, because no one buys into a single developer, but people do buy an entire console and all the choice (or lack of) that comes with it.

In fairness to @Ronnie I think his point is that whilst the Wii U is criticised for being platform heavy (which it certainly is) PS4 and XB1 are just as shooter heavy but don't get the same criticism. I don't think it's fair for everybody to jump on his back because perhaps he didn't articulate his point well enough.

I don't know how you heard that from him saying the Wii U had a better breadth of titles. Even if he made that point it still isn't a very good one.

The PS4 could have 500 FPS games and it wouldn't matter so long as it still has tons of games of other genres (which it does).

Nintendo can very easily be criticised for being platformer heavy as they have a very limited console output and support their console pretty much single-handedly. Making platformer number 5 isn't going to pull in that many new customers as platformer lovers already bought the system for the previous games.

Besides, third parties can make whatever games they want for a console, it's hardly a negative for the system for gamers to have even more games available for it. If FPS games sell well (they do) then you will naturally see more available. That said, there are plenty of other genre games made by other developers coming to the system too. And within the FPS genre there is MASSIVE variation (e.g. Fallout vs COD).

Edited by Sheikah

I'd argue that the entire console discussion is far more important than the developer one, because no one buys into a single developer, but people do buy an entire console and all the choice (or lack of) that comes with it.

Well said. To end this discussion that has been going on for the last few pages, we need to separate the developer from the console.

1: Nintendo as a developer produce more games than Sony as a developer.

2: Nintendo as a manufacturer have less games than Sony as a manufacturer.

Now let's drop it, PLEASE!

You could argue that 10 million people did buy into a single developer when they bought the Wii U....

unscientific but i cba to do the research for myself so on vgc, titles per console:

Wii U 362

X one 441

PS4 724

To be honest as a platform I would say Xbox is not really in that great a position either.

From my perspective, if someone told me I could be given two home consoles from this generation and I had to choose, for me it would be a no brainer to buy a PS4 and Wii U combo - the Xbox just has nothing to differentiate it from the PS4.

I think the main thing helping the xbox at the moment is that most of the biggest hitters on the PS4 are available on the xbox, which gives it an appearance of catalogue parity.

The Wii U when it got games got the weakest version.

As I understand it, Nintendo take 30% of the £40? (this may be wrong so let me know if it is) in which case I'd have said have a promotion tied in with 3rd party games. Yes it's weaker BUT you get £10 eshop credit when you purchase this game (maybe only for a purchase of £20 or more).

But realistically Nintendo need to be in the middle of the power field, or at the top of it, certainly not at the bottom if they want to be pulling in new consumers. What they need to provide for developers I presume is a development process that minimises extra work so that the outlay of effort (and costs) is minimised. We shall see.

Edited by Pestneb

Thank you. The last time I mentioned the two other consoles were full of shooters everyone jumped down my throat. It's perfectly fine to say the Wii U is full of platformers though obviously.

My point in all this is very simple. I believe Nintendo make a wide range of games and genres, some of which you simply wouldn't find on store shelves on other platforms, (short of their eshops). They make fantastic games and having all their resources devoted to a single platform is very exciting. Instead of making two Mario Karts, they can make one Mario Kart and one F-Zero. Instead of 3D Land and 3D World they can make 3D World and an exploration Mario game. Etc. The depth of the content in their various genres should increase. I for one am excited.

@Pestneb the Xbox isn't doing that bad. It's actually tracking ahead of the 360 at the same time of each of their lifespans. It's only when it gets compared to the PS4 sales that it comes off worse.

Fourth? That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

I mean, yeah sure, technically it counts. But who here actually used it for that purpose?

No I don't think. The GCN/PS2/Xbox era launched online gaming in consoles. Online PC gaming was already a thing. Dreamcast had been there and done it. But that gen all three consoles had it and launched it. By the next gen it was standard.

The username probably gives away whether or not I played PSO.

And they're all from different film studios. Nintendo is one developer.

Sure it would be great if they created five different racers, five different brawlers and a dozen different arcade space shooters per generation, but that's just slightly unrealistic.

Nintendo themselves create amazing games, in a variety of different genres, with more diversity than any other developer out there by far. The problem is and has always been in recent times, a lack of third party support.

Yeah, which is why I said:

If Nintendo don't do those types of games, then that's fine. But at least allow us to access them through their console. Gaming is a huuuuge form of entertainment now. I play more than I watch television or go to the cinema, by far. There's variety in what I play on other systems, so why shouldn't there be a similar variety on Nintendo's systems?

Point me to a (single) developer that's made 5 different brawlers, or 5 different arcade space shooters like @Fierce_LiNk is suggesting.

Yeah, I don't really think you've grasped what I've tried to say. There's no real honour or sense in going it alone. A system can't survive (or at least be attractive to others) if there's very little support coming from elsewhere. Gamers want to play games in various different styles, which is why I made the comparison to music and film earlier on.

Lock this thread until the whingers get tired and there's some actual news.

Does a drizzle of actual bubblegum-flavoured predictive news count? For I behold the official mame of NINTENDO's new gaming device which is currently codenamed NX -- NINTENDO HD.

The NINTENDO Handheld Dashboard needs to be impressive game-wise. Basics really, 4 players per console online. Go utterly bonkers with options and game modes, 'tag' matches in say Smash Bros for one small example.

@Pestneb the Xbox isn't doing that bad. It's actually tracking ahead of the 360 at the same time of each of their lifespans. It's only when it gets compared to the PS4 sales that it comes off worse.

I was only talking about the number of titles it has. For every 100 Wii has, Xbox has 120, PS has 200.

Therefore the Xbox is far closer to the Wii than the PS in terms of games available.

As I said I was being lazy, so perhaps those numbers aren't reliable enough to make that conclusion, but I wasn't talking about sales of the console itself.

Without comparing to other consoles, the wii u isn't actually doing too badly. 10 million is a LOT of consoles out there. Even 360 or so games available is quite good, if they were all great games :D

The username probably gives away whether or not I played PSO.

Ahhh, I thought you were just bigging up your Asian heritage (if you have any) in that name. :)

Ahhh, I thought you were just bigging up your Asian heritage (if you have any) in that name. :)

Zero Asian heritage I'm afraid.

Is this complete lack of information so close to a launch unprecedented? They haven't even said when they are going to officially announced it and it comes out in a little over 6 months. This secret they are so scared of being copied better be bloody worth it.

Is this complete lack of information so close to a launch unprecedented? They haven't even said when they are going to officially announced it and it comes out in a little over 6 months. This secret they are so scared of being copied better be bloody worth it.

Really, what can be so unique and special as to not even give the things official name out to its fans - the prime buyers? It does reek of a classic arrogant Nintendo who thinks they have the bomb but ends up being a dud. I'm waiting to be proved wrong.

I just can't see how much this traditionally stubborn company has changed/improved since miscommunicating what the Wii U was not too long ago.

Its a bit too strange.

With the Wii I remember Nintendo being a bit more eager and proud to unleash this new motion device.

Really, what can be so unique and special as to not even give the things official name out to its fans - the prime buyers? It does reek of a classic arrogant Nintendo who thinks they have the bomb but ends up being a dud. I'm waiting to be proved wrong.

I just can't see how much this traditionally stubborn company has changed/improved since miscommunicating what the Wii U was not too long ago.

Its a bit too strange.

With the Wii I remember Nintendo being a bit more eager and proud to unleash this new motion device.

Yep, arrogant Nintendo. Let's all hate, agaaaain.

They held back the Wii controller until very late on, and rightly so. Sony and Microsoft shamelessly copied them shortly after with laughable results. The motion sensing Sixaxis was a joke, likewise Move and Kinnect no one used till they finally ditched it.

I know the industry can be a bit entitled at times, but I see no reason why 6 months from reveal to release isn't perfectly acceptable. Apple reveal and release within a month after all. 6 months sounds perfect for a games console.

It does reek of a classic arrogant Nintendo who thinks they have the bomb but ends up being a dud. I'm waiting to be proved wrong.

The Wii sold 100 million units, the DS 150 million and were both worldwide phenomenons. The 3DS has destroyed the Vita. The only dud is the Wii U. Yep, classic, arrogant Nintendo. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ronnie

It's an extension of the 3ds system, but instead of a 3d stereoscopic image on an external screen, the NX beams the image directly at the lenses in your eyes, creating a 3d image that covers your entire field of view. A series of state of the art technologies allow cortical induction to take place through the nerves in your hand, allowing unprecedented control of the game environment as well as direct feedback of any nature desired. touch, smell, sound, sight, taste. All of these senses can be manipulated, allowing gamers for the first time ever to actually experience the game they are playing in every conceivable way!

haha.. yeah I really can't see what it could be, but then how many of us saw the wiimote?

I am hoping it is something awesome though :D

It's an extension of the 3ds system, but instead of a 3d stereoscopic image on an external screen, the NX beams the image directly at the lenses in your eyes, creating a 3d image that covers your entire field of view. A series of state of the art technologies allow cortical induction to take place through the nerves in your hand, allowing unprecedented control of the game environment as well as direct feedback of any nature desired. touch, smell, sound, sight, taste. All of these senses can be manipulated, allowing gamers for the first time ever to actually experience the game they are playing in every conceivable way!

haha.. yeah I really can't see what it could be, but then how many of us saw the wiimote?

I am hoping it is something awesome though :D

Do you remember roughly when we first got official news from Nintendo re the Wii?

:rolleyes:

Heres your prize for being a most valued Nintendo representative:

a0c570c0f74377b926b46823b6777a61.jpg

You've earned it.

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost