NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

Ahh, I had thought you meant yesterday. :)

Quite soon before the release date this time considering when reviewers have had the copy.

Probably not enough time to cancel a pre-order (not that I am planning to). I wonder if they are slightly worried thanks to the full game not being released on the 29th.

2 days is the norm really. Games like Super Mario 3D World(93%) which reviewed well right up to Kirby and the Rainbow Curse(73%) which didn't review well have had their review embargoes lifted 2 days before release. I think it's going to suit Splatoon because I can see a good few bad reviews forthcoming and the tight margin between review and release will prevent cancellations.

New Splattershot Jr. Weapon Trailer

Wii U - Don't Miss the Splatoon Global Testfire!

Scanning amiibo in Splatoon

Splatoon Amiibo Unboxing + Gameplay!! Splatoon Amiibo Challenges & Secret Gear!! (60FPS 1080p HD)

Splatoon Skate Park Promo.

gHokr9v.jpg

Video in the link below:

NINTENDO UK SAYS THEIR MARKETING CAMPAIGN FOR SPLATOON MATCHES THAT OF MARIO KART 8

Coming from Nintendo UK marketing manager Chandra Nair...

“We have a substantial campaign planned for Splatoon. To give you an idea of the scale, we’re matching Mario Kart 8 – that’s the potential we think Splatoon has. We have the utmost confidence in the potential of Splatoon. It gives retailers a fantastic art style that stands out in-store or on-screen and it also offers various up-sell opportunities with the accompanying Amiibo. It’s a really interesting game for us because it allows us to expand out to a group of people who may never have considered Wii U before.”

Nintendo UK has said the campaign includes digital billboards, cinema ads ahead of Tomorrowland and Mad Max, sponsorship of Cartoon Network, a digital campaign that started in April and a Splatoon-themed skatepark in Corby.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll believe it when I see it. Mario Kart 8 was the last Wii U ad I seen on TV.

I wonder if my friend would be confused if I asked to come see him in Corby so we could go to a skate park...

Just to prove to Wii it's real of course ;)

I'm saying I'll believe it when I see ads on TV.

"We've already noticed Splatoon adverts on UK TV - albeit on channels aimed squarely at kids."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/nintendo_uk_planning_massive_marketing_push_for_splatoon

Well it's something I guess. And I have said before this game is aimed at kids.

How about prime time ads on the main terrestrial channels?

They had adverts for it before Mad Max Fury Road in the cinemas, and that's bound to be the most viewed movie this week.

Although it's a really weird choice for film...but yes, it's second only to Pitch Perfect 2 from what I hear!

Yup, I saw Mad Max, and the Splatoon trailer came up. My friend watched it, then turned to me and gestured that maybe it would be a game we could get and play (he'd not heard of it before then), but I told him no. It didn't have voice chat.

Yup, I saw Mad Max, and the Splatoon trailer came up. My friend watched it, then turned to me and gestured that maybe it would be a game we could get and play (he'd not heard of it before then), but I told him no. It didn't have voice chat.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah Dr. bob, what were you thinking? That's bad grammar, you should have wrote "but I told him no. It doesn't have voice chat."

Just saw an ad during the Simpsons.

What sorcery is this, Nintendo properly marketing?

Just saw an ad during the Simpsons.

What sorcery is this, Nintendo properly marketing?

Good stuff! It's only taken them 2+ years to get their fingers out. :D

It's gonna hit them hard if this new IP fails, especially with all the backing they are giving it.

Good stuff! It's only taken them 2+ years to get their fingers out. :D

It's gonna hit them hard if this new IP fails, especially with all the backing they are giving it.

Indeed. I'd love it to succeed, but deep down...

Has anyone thought about why they've chosen to advertise this game and not any of the others? I have some theories...

Has anyone thought about why they've chosen to advertise this game and not any of the others? I have some theories...

I've never really thought about it.

What you thinking?

Because it's a big new IP that got a ridiculous amount of positive press upon its reveal last year, so they want to push it.

So, tomorrow is another testfire, what time is it again?

For us it's midnight.

I've never really thought about it.

What you thinking?

Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Smash Bros. Wii U, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush, Mario Party 10, Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars. I didn't see any of them get any advertising. I bet Yoshi which comes out after Splatoon doesn't get anywhere near as much advertising.

None of them have DLC except Smash. There's not much and Smash advertises and sells itself. But I can see Splatoon going really heavy on DLC if it sells well initially. And they can recoup their advertising budget through the DLC. It's also a new franchise. But it is a game that lends itself well to DLC as much as any other ip Nintendo have if not more so.

Sure we're getting the second half of the game through DLC. And they've paywalled on disc content already. It would be much easier doing DLC for this game than MK8. Nintendo may have visions of turning this game into an evergreen money spinner if it takes off as they hope. And like I said earlier the game is shipping half finished which shows it can work without everything being in place.

Could they ship a Mario game and tell people they can play the second half in 3 months time? It wouldn't work. This can however, because each mode is self contained and can easily be accommodated by adding more when it's ready. I can see more Splatoon amiibo coming out as well e.g. the Octarians.

It's just a thought before people start going mad.

Anyone else just get charged for the game and amiibo bundle from ShopTo? seems kinda wierd to take the money a week early like this.

Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Smash Bros. Wii U, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush, Mario Party 10, Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars. I didn't see any of them get any advertising. I bet Yoshi which comes out after Splatoon doesn't get anywhere near as much advertising.

None of them have DLC except Smash. There's not much and Smash advertises and sells itself. But I can see Splatoon going really heavy on DLC if it sells well initially. And they can recoup their advertising budget through the DLC. It's also a new franchise. But it is a game that lends itself well to DLC as much as any other ip Nintendo have if not more so.

Sure we're getting the second half of the game through DLC. And they've paywalled on disc content already. It would be much easier doing DLC for this game than MK8. Nintendo may have visions of turning this game into an evergreen money spinner if it takes off as they hope. And like I said earlier the game is shipping half finished which shows it can work without everything being in place.

Could they ship a Mario game and tell people they can play the second half in 3 months time? It wouldn't work. This can however, because each mode is self contained and can easily be accommodated by adding more when it's ready. I can see more Splatoon amiibo coming out as well e.g. the Octarians.

It's just a thought before people start going mad.

That's quite a conspiracy theory you have there. I think you're looking way too much into it. All the content we know of for Splatoon, aside from the amiibo challenges (which are just the single player levels with shake ups), is free. There is no evidence of paid DLC yet so no logical reason to come to that conclusion just yet, especially as you disregard one game with DLC and include many games with amiibo locked content.

Edited by Serebii

Interesting theory @Wii.

I guess time will tell if they offer paid DLC and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see a season pass hit before the year is out. I mean, both Smash and Mario Kart have paid DLC and they are Nintendo's main online offerings. They are adding this to the mix so it seems likely they will follow this plan with Splatoon.

Interesting theory @Wii.

I guess time will tell if they offer paid DLC and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see a season pass hit before the year is out. I mean, both Smash and Mario Kart have paid DLC and they are Nintendo's main online offerings. They are adding this to the mix so it seems likely they will follow this plan with Splatoon.

Only if it is successful, though. I don't think it's a great big intentional plan right now.