NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

If that happens, in some ways it is a shame but, if it happens, I hope that Nintendo realise this for future games and don't make the same mistakes.

If that happens, in some ways it is a shame but, if it happens, I hope that Nintendo realise this for future games and don't make the same mistakes.

Yeah, or maybe we need to think differently to how games are reviewed... I don;t know the answer, but more and more games are living far longer than the initial release.

How do games like Walking Dead get reviewed, with their being episodes released every month? Do they play it all and review it? Per episode?

Yeah, or maybe we need to think differently to how games are reviewed... I don;t know the answer, but more and more games are living far longer than the initial release.

How do games like Walking Dead get reviewed, with their being episodes released every month? Do they play it all and review it? Per episode?

I didn't like Mario Kart 8 at first, but it's evolved into one of my favourite entries in the series, I love it!

As for Splatoon, it needs to be marked on what it is on release - I still think it looks great even with the cut back maps and modes. However I think it will be even better in August.

I'm not totally opposed to the way Splatoon is because I can see the way the game will be updated will make it feel fresh and Nintendo have been up front about the issues.

As long as what we get is the best it could be and polished, playable and most of all fun, then it should get a good score.

I didn't like Mario Kart 8 at first, but it's evolved into one of my favourite entries in the series, I love it!

The same happened with DriveClub. Many were lukewarm with their reception at launch but now it's evolved into something that many say is one of the best car racing games out there.

It's an interesting topic and one that shows that our hobby is certainly moving with the times. I have no issue with this approach, just as long as the content comes in a timely manner, there's plenty to do with the game at launch and when the new content does arrive it's either free or priced appropriately.

I saw enough in the following video to convince me to go ahead and order the game :grin:

It's almost certainly going to be one of those games that it'll be best to play around the time of release when everyone is getting involved :smile:

:yay::yay::yay:

I am so happy to see you say that buddy :)

The same happened with DriveClub. Many were lukewarm with their reception at launch but now it's evolved into something that many say is one of the best car racing games out there.

It's an interesting topic and one that shows that our hobby is certainly moving with the times. I have no issue with this approach, just as long as the content comes in a timely manner, there's plenty to do with the game at launch and when the new content does arrive it's either free or priced appropriately.

With Mario Kart 8 you knew exactly what you were getting. With Splatoon, while they've given some information, we don't know how much content we'll get post launch. It's a bit of a leap into the unknown. How many more multiplayer maps are there, what do look like, how many more modes, weapons, accessories, clothing, perks, etc. will we get? At what point do they say, everything from here on out you've to pay for?

Rakuten is doing it's best to not let me buy the game, though..

Error 500 Internal Server Error

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this order over the line :shakehead

In Japan, Famitsu are holding a Splatoon: Squid Fashion Contest. The idea is to design a full set of gear:- headgear, clothes, and shoes.

l_555c43770edb4.jpg

l_555b169c5c8bd.jpg

The winning entrants will have their designs included in a future update of the game. The competition closes on June 11th and the winners chosen later that month.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/21078513.html

It would be nice if we have an equivalent competition in Europe. We will afterall most likely buy more copies of the game than Japan.

Only 10% done at E3. Incredible turnaround

And only 60% done for launch! :heh:

Someone on Gaf has done a comparison of Iwata during the Nintendo Land Iwata Asks and this one.

Nintendo Land

photo5.jpg

Splatoon

photo21.jpg

The guy has aged like 10 years in the space of 3. I imagine the health issues, operation and stress of the job really took it's toll on him. :(

Someone on Gaf has done a comparison of Iwata during the Nintendo Land Iwata Asks and this one.

The guy has aged like 10 years in the space of 3. I imagine the health issues, operation and stress of the job really took it's toll on him. :(

Was waiting for that :p

And yeah, it's a shame that the issues have affected him so much. Could just be a bad photo though

To think that they only had the one single level and weapon at E3 last year! That's an inkredible turnaround indeed!

photo5.jpg

photo21.jpg

Soon the transformation will be complete...

nintendo-deces-de-hiroshi-yamauchi-ME3050182317_1.jpg

... soon...

Was waiting for that :p

And yeah, it's a shame that the issues have affected him so much. Could just be a bad photo though

Your unwavering enthusiasm never ceases to intrigue :p Tis worrying though, that's definitely someone who's been hit hard by their health :(

To think that they only had the one single level and weapon at E3 last year! That's an inkredible turnaround indeed!

I see what you did there ;)

Does anyone think they might open the demo-model up again after this weekend? I'm really keen to get a handson with this, but it's just been the worst timing with the two demo days so far.

In Japan, Famitsu are holding a Splatoon: Squid Fashion Contest. The idea is to design a full set of gear:- headgear, clothes, and shoes.

l_555c43770edb4.jpg

l_555b169c5c8bd.jpg

The winning entrants will have their designs included in a future update of the game. The competition closes on June 11th and the winners chosen later that month.

Really hope they run that comp over here too.

In fact they should do loads of 'em, worldwide. Would be awesome if they kept it going for a while and we ended up with an entire fan created fashion label for the shops. :hehe:

Add that to the fact that you can already graffiti the game via Miiverse, and Splatoon has the potential to stay fresh for quite some time. :awesome:

The screen with the Tofu characters cracked me up. :laughing:

Should so be an unlockable character in the final game.

Still smiling though. Legend. :bowdown:

Is the review embargo now lifted?

When is your review planned for @Mr\-Paul?

Is the review embargo now lifted?

When is your review planned for @Mr\-Paul?

Next Weds, 3pm UK time I believe :)

Ahh, I had thought you meant yesterday. :)

Quite soon before the release date this time considering when reviewers have had the copy.

Probably not enough time to cancel a pre-order (not that I am planning to). I wonder if they are slightly worried thanks to the full game not being released on the 29th.

It may partly be to stop any potential negative impressions from affecting sales, but most reviewers only received the game last week and due to the online nature of the game, and the low numbers of people actually playing it right now, I think it's more likely to be to give everyone a chance to get plenty of playtime before they write their reviews. Although the servers are on all the time, it's quite hard to get a match, so they've designated certain times where Nintendo staff are online too to make it easier to get a match.

It's likely the game wasn't actually ready to go out any earlier - the code for Yoshi came only a couple of days later despite being released a month later. And even then, the code is for a pre-release copy - I doubt there'll be much, if any difference, but I'll receive a full retail code when it's released next week and this review copy will stop working, meaning I'll have to level up all over again!

Soon the transformation will be complete...

nintendo-deces-de-hiroshi-yamauchi-ME3050182317_1.jpg

... soon...

Hoefully it'll affect his business sense as well.

That is a good point on the online mode I suppose. From the gamexplain and other videos it seemed as if ranking mode was available to play for those people who were higher than level 10 (as suggested by Nintendo). I was sure that Nintendo said that ranking mode would not become available until sufficient people in the world were above level 10 (and then only to those above level 10).

Does this mean that the review copies/online experience will not be the same as the day one experience for the common or garden pleb?

P.S> @Mr\-Paul I feel for you with the game reset like that!

I think the only difference will be with the ranked mode - it's unlocked from the start for me, although I still had to reach Level 10 and wait for enough people to reach that level to actually be able to get a game! Getting 8 people together out of a small set of people is actually quite tricky! Lobbies will undoubtedly fill quicker after release. It's probably sensible that they won't be unlocking it until there's enough people that level - they don't want people waiting around unable to get a game. It shouldn't take that long for people to reach Level 10 - I reckon they may leave it for a week to give plenty of people the chance to get there before opening it up.

Edited by Mr-Paul