NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

I'm sorry, but I don't get where you're coming from. Plucking a quote of mine, without proper context, could mean anything.

It's a fairly straight forward question to your sarcastic comment.

Come on guys, there's no need for this attitude towards each other so leave it now. Some of us want voice chat, some of us aren't fussed, maybe some of us even specifically don't want it - but can we try and refrain from getting too snide with each other please?

This being the internets and all, I couldn't be sure if you'd got the sarcasm or not. That being the case, it wasn't clear if you were responding sarcastically, to a quote of mine you thought I'd made with genuine convictions - i.e. you could have been trying to say, that even before voice chat existed, when I played a local multiplayer game, I obviously could still talk with people.

Now though, I see that you knew I was being sarcastic.

So in that case, what exactly are you attempting to say?

"I assume when you play local multiplayer with friends and family you all sit in silence?"

This seems to come across, based on what I was originally saying, as you trying to defend that games are indeed crap without voice chat. Perhaps trying to set up some form of simple trap, whereby you hoped I would reply "of course we don't sit in silence," and then you would pounce on that, using it to proclaim that I therefore must need voice chat too - or something along those lines.

It doesn't ring true, however. For example, I enjoyed playing online multiplayer on the Wii, when playing Mario Kart.

So, "a fairly straight forward question to your sarcastic comment," it is not.

In any case, my view is the same as in the post above from Rummy.

The only side I was taking, was the "shut up whinging" side. If the game has voice chat, then great for sure; if the game doesn't have voice chat, then that's the way it is, no need to get your knickers in a twist. I don't care either way, if a person wants voice chat or doesn't want voice chat.

Anyhow, it's better to move on from this, and get back on to the actual topic. I accept I have only added to the topic getting a little sidelined, so sorry for that.

Stuff

Obviously you were being sarcastic, but at the same time there was a clear point to your post (as there almost always is with sarcasm). It seemed very much like you were over-exaggerating to highlight that you thought people here have an unhealthy obsession with voice chat - joking that before voice chat, to us all games must have been crap.

Of course, your joke comment backfired because Ramar basically substituted voice chat in your example of games of the past with chatting to people who were playing games with you locally.

In short, voice chat is there because just like when you played multiplayer locally in the past, you generally want to chat to the people you're playing with.

Obviously you were being sarcastic, but at the same time there was a clear point to your post (as there almost always is with sarcasm). It seemed very much like you were over-exaggerating to highlight that you thought people here have an unhealthy obsession with voice chat - joking that before voice chat, to us all games must have been crap.

Yes, because it seemed like "some" people here, did appear to be holding an unhealthy obsession with voice chat.

Of course, your joke comment backfired because Ramar basically substituted voice chat in your example of games of the past with chatting to people who were playing games with you locally.

Backfired? Uh, please explain.

In short, voice chat is there because just like when you played multiplayer locally in the past, you generally want to chat to the people you're playing with.

Indeed. I never said anything to the contrary. There are people who don't like voice chat, or don't care either way, though.

This thread is like that Family Guy episode where Lois runs for mayor only instead of 9/11 its voice chat

Backfired? Uh, please explain.

Because the crux of your joke/sarcasm hinged on the idea that people here were too obsessed with being able to talk to the people they played online with.

Once you liken voice chat to talking to people next to you when playing locally (ie. in games of the past) then you gain understanding, and what originally may have seemed absurd no longer is.

Because the crux of your joke/sarcasm hinged on the idea that people here were too obsessed with being able to talk to the people they played online with.

Once you liken voice chat to talking to people next to you when playing locally (ie. in games of the past) then you gain understanding, and what originally may have seemed absurd no longer is.

Yes, "some" people." Just because a game doesn't have voice chat, doesn't mean the game is crap. Even if the game has voice chat, it doesn't mean everyone is going to like using voice chat. Even if a person likes to play local multiplayer, and even indulge in conversation with nearby beings, it doesn't mean they will automatically like voice chat.

Did you just liken playing people online to people actually being right there, next to you?

You're going off on a tangent here.

You said you didn't understand why your sarcastic musing backfired (nearly everyone else here made the link automatically, but not everyone is quick on the uptake), so I told you why. Online versus local multiplayer is another debate entirely.

Just read the last few pages.

Anyway...they also said no CPU online. I wonder how long this game will last then. Will there still be sufficient players in 12 months time?

*sits and waits*

(although not for the game as I doubt I'll get it)

Just read the last few pages.

Anyway...they also said no CPU online. I wonder how long this game will last then. Will there still be sufficient players in 12 months time?

*sits and waits*

(although not for the game as I doubt I'll get it)

CoD, Splinter Cell etc. still have solid online presence on the Wii U despite being third party and selling like crap.

So I listened to the latest episodes of Nintendo Voice Chat and Radio Free Nintendo today and both were discussing the lack of voice chat in this game. I'm just pointing this out because, despite what others may say, it's not just this place complaining about it.

Peer was saying the same as Kav in that it will probably be a good game but his playtime will certainly take a hit without communication in the multiplayer.

Jonny on RFN was saying Nintendo have had enough time to get this sorted now and they shouldn't be getting a free pass. His CoD4 comment had me laughing. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

So I lisyenef to the latest episodes of Nintendo Voice Chat and Radio Free Nintendo today and both were discussing the lack of voice chat in this game. I'm just pointing this out because, despite what others may say, it's not just this place complaining about it.

Peer was saying the same as Kav in that it will probably be a good game but his playtime will certainly take a hit without communication in the multiplayer.

Jonny on RFN was saying Nintendo have had enough time to get this sorted now and they shouldn't be getting a free pass. His CoD4 comment had me laughing. :D

We don't know if it affects friends yet though :/ People are jumping to conclusions

We don't know if it affects friends yet though :/ People are jumping to conclusions

True and they do say that. Problem is that we shouldn't have to be guessing whether a game will have it or not. At this point its a standard feature on other machines.

You're going off on a tangent here.

You said you didn't understand why your sarcastic musing backfired (nearly everyone else here made the link automatically, but not everyone is quick on the uptake), so I told you why. Online versus local multiplayer is another debate entirely.

I'm going off on a tangent?!

What are you on about? It's nothing to do with my supposed inability to understand why my sarcastic musing backfired; it's more how could it have backfired? I.e. there's nothing to understand.

Ramar, asked what sounded similar to a loaded question. It appeared as if he expected me to say, something along the lines of "no I don't sit in silence, whilst playing local multiplayer," and then he would jump to the conclusion that everyone wants/requires voice chat. When of course, such a conclusion is not quite true, is it?

Like I've said many times already, not everyone likes voice chat, or cares so much about it's inclusion.

Anyhow, who is this nearly everyone else, who made the link automatically?

Link to what exactly?

Talking to people, actual people in the same room, is different than using voice chat.

The only thing I can assume, is that you in fact didn't actually comprehend my sarcasm. I said sarcastically:

"Before voice chat existed, all games were crap. If a game doesn't have an element I want or a lot of people seem to want, then it's also crap."

It was aimed at anyone who was making a big fuss over the lack of voice chat. Not just on this game either. I mean, isn't it simple enough to grasp, that if a game doesn't contain a certain element (such as voice chat), it does not always lead to the game being rubbish? By making such a fuss, it sort of implies that the game is already crap.

Going back to what you said earlier, you said: "Of course, your joke comment backfired because Ramar basically substituted voice chat in your example of games of the past with chatting to people who were playing games with you locally."

Which makes it sound, by using the word substitute, that somehow it leads to this: "Before (er? ) local chat existed, all games were crap."

Of course that makes hardly any sense, so I have no clue to WTF you're on about with backfiring.

"but not everyone is quick on the uptake"

Is that supposed to be some sort of insult?

Considering you clearly still don't understand it, yeah, you're slow on the uptake. :p

(Ironically, slow on the uptake of me implying you're 'slow' on the uptake, too).

Considering you clearly still don't understand it, yeah, you're slow on the uptake. :p

Are you being serious? Truly, WTF?!

Reread my posts, and then yours.

(Ironically, slow on the uptake of me implying you're 'slow' on the uptake, too).

Which in a way, shows that you're the one being slow here, because you don't seem to grasp an understanding of why I asked.

But let's not fall into a childish game of name calling, shall we?

Maybe you should go back and look at Ramar's post, and the 5 people who thanked it because they undetstood the message (and the humour) off the bat?

Or you know, don't. It's not really a big deal and we've killed the joke by you not really getting it.

Maybe you should go back and look at Ramar's post, and the 5 people who thanked it because they undetstood the message (and the humour) off the bat?

Or you know, don't. It's not really a big deal and we've killed the joke by you not really getting it.

It's quite ridiculous, that you're arguing the meaning of Ramar's post, and even more so that I have even been replying to you about it. Even if you're his brother, it would still obviously be absurd.

But, er, that sounds like a perfectly normal reply to make, if it was just humour, right?

It really sounds like it was a joke I didn't get.

Then again, how can I take you serious, when you've just used the amount of thanks a post gets, to somehow either justify it, or conclude that the reasons they thanked it, is because of the exact same conclusions you reached about its meaning?

I'ma stop talking to you now (no offence). I just haven't the energy to read everything you keep typing on this. :p

Another 15 pages of voice chat talk would be more bearable than the above going on much longer.

Another 15 pages of voice chat talk would be more bearable than the above going on much longer.

Yeah, let's start complaining again! :p

Unfortunately I'm not interested in the single player for this. I think it just looks so-so, the multiplayer looks like it could be really good but without being able to talk to each other, for me, it loses something very important. I do hope chatting with friends is in.

When I go to the cinema, I don't go with friends who chat all the way through the film. I want to enjoy the film, follow the story, hear the script. When I leave the cinema, that's when I chat, discuss the highlights, things I didn't enjoy so much, question things etc. Or chat about something completely different.

I appreciate some people prefer to talk through the film, or to throw popcorn at people in front of them. To each their own.

But splatoon is more of a light hearted chilled game from what I understand, I don't get the impression most of the people getting upset about voice chat are really the target audience... and generally they can play a game like destiny and enjoy chatting to each other on that.

Personally I suspect I am closer to the target audience, and I'm looking forward to getting a few people over to enjoy a bit of splatoon in a few months time.