NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

GAME Wave 2 price also back up to £14.99 - typical. Cashier said they went back up today, probably tied in with the wave 2 figures going on sale.

Saw four Luigis, four Zeldas, four Diddy Kong, about 10 Mac and Falcon and not a single Pit.

I grabbed the three I didn't order from Japan. Got a Zelda that looked a lot better than the rest, also a nice Luigi with the sideburns fully painted and a truly insane looking Diddy.

I'd feel worse about paying £15 per figure if it wasn't for the fact the funds were all on GAME wallet/gift cards for ridiculous CEX price match trade ins the other week.

Probably worth paying a bit more if you're collecting them since the paint ops and quality differ wildly between figures - mass market toys for sure. One of the Falcons had a massive glob of glue on his arm where the glove was attached.

Edited by Guy

FALCON GOT!!!!!

10428618_630829310359493_211251135511278447_n_zpsa01d9068.jpg

I took this with the flash on, the non-flash was too dark.

20141212_205319_zps6756a352.jpg

Edited by Jimbob

They did a great job with Falcon, at least the support is transparent. Very excited to check mine out when I get home.

It was the last one in GAME in Cardiff, however they had quite a few others in stock.

20141212_174900_zps247bae87.jpg

As promised - some closeups with flash on, showing plenty of little imperfections and over/underspray. I tried to grab one of Falcon's support pole - it's stuck into his leg and the base, not gonna be easy to remove without leaving the entire piece looking totally weird.

rklk51H.jpg

nOfhoe3.jpg

TTgwYC4.jpg

65PpcLe.jpg

0HtFCdt.jpg

7dKHjEL.jpg

LuB0odu.jpg

arCv7cS.jpg

lHvCqJX.jpg

Impressions!

Zelda

Very pleased with Zelda's face. All the others had the eyes set a lot higher up and all looked even weirder than the one I grabbed.

Pit

Pit is very sloppy in places, the hand grasping the bow has massive flesh patches that weren't painted in, but he does have lots of small details and the imperfections aren't anywhere near as obvious in person. His face is a little bit derpy, he just looks a little less chubby than I was expecting. His belt sculpt also isn't fully painted, I don't think the mask they used at the factory was set up correctly, bleh. Probably the one to inspect the closest if you can find him in-store. Shoes also aren't great - lots of the paintwork could have easily been from a Happy Meal Toy.

Captain Falcon

Falcon is very nice and has plenty of great detailing - it's way, WAY nicer than I was expecting after seeing some of the wave 1 horror stories. Minor slop on the smaller details, nothing glaring in person.

Weegee

Luigi is really sweet, mine has a pretty prominent mold line around the nose that I'll need to trim off - the nose and moustache are a separate piece as with Mario. Lots of the Luigi figures I saw in-store had massive under spray on the sideburns, similar to what's happening with Pit's belt...so that's something to be a bit careful with. His weird crotch support stand also goes up into his legs, so that's gonna be a permanent fixture as well.

Diddy

Diddy is... well... the pics speak for themselves. All of them have crazy eyes. The fur on the back of his head seems like it could have used a second coat, but otherwise it's a cool figure. The piss yellow stand isn't too obvious either, quite well concealed really. It also goes up into the figure and won't be easy to remove.

Lil' Mac

Mac is a very pleasant surprise, but he's leaning a bit too far forward and definitely could have benefitted from having his head tilted up a bit - might break the stance though, dunno. He's not as bad as Link, definitely not. Still can't believe a legit figure of Little Mac is being sold in the UK.

Pit is probably the worst of the line for me, which is a shame as he's one of my favourite Nintendo characters. I'd say Falcon or Zelda is the best, if you can get over Falcon's leg support I reckon he'll be a firm favourite.

Let me know if you guys want any more pics from particular angles etc. I'm aware these aren't fantastic, but I wanted to be as candid with the paintwork as possible.

Edited by Guy

Went to Game and they had all of wave 2 in stock. I was tempted to get Little Mac but just held off as I refuse to pay an extra fiver, especially when they were regular price yesterday.

I really want a little mac, but they sell out too quickly to flubit them, by the time I realised this it was too late to order it out right. I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting all the amiibo I want, yet alone the whole collection!

I REALLY hope I get a few for Christmas though, missed out on a couple of models already that I would have really liked in my collection!

From the wording in Nintendo's statements, I wonder if phased out amiibos will return in a later wave (possibly in different poses? there are several trophies of each character, right?)

Edited by Pestneb

I bought Captain Falcon today. What exactly am I supposed to do with him? I registered him in Smash Bros, set a colour and nickname and fed him some items but now what?

I bought Captain Falcon today. What exactly am I supposed to do with him? I registered him in Smash Bros, set a colour and nickname and fed him some items but now what?

Train him. Face off against him until he's Level 50. If done right, Level 50s are far more formidable than Level 9 CPUs

Nintendo store have shipped my wave 2 figures. : peace:
Yeah, I got the dispatch email from them yesterday evening (was hoping it would arrive today, but apparently not. :blank:), should show up early next week though. :)

Why did they even bother having a release date for the 2nd wave of amiibo, if every retailer was going to completely ignore it? :heh:

The lack of adherence to the wave 2 street date leaves me with a weird mix of excitement and concern. I know toys/collectibles are often up and down with release/ship dates, but I was honestly expecting these things to stick to a standard videogame release format where a mainstream retailer breaking the advertised street date by a week is virtually unheard of in the UK.

Interestingly, wave 2 figures are still shown as on-sale from 19th on both Nintendo's stores and the GAME website. Yet people say they're already processing or dispatched? It's awesome we get them early, but what about people who won't have the funds until closer to the street date? Will early release/shipment mess up their plan to collect the entire wave now people are already out there grabbing them?

Combine this with the present demand for amiibo in light of the wave 1 shortages, and you end up with a pretty uncertain situation for a lot of people. I doubt the more informed gamer/collector crowd will have a huge issue with their toys showing up a week early, but I can't help but feel I'd be a bit pissed if I was waiting to drop into GAME first thing on the morning of the 19th and grab my wave 2 figures.

You can argue people/parents should pre-order, but is that the norm for Skylanders and Infinity? I have no idea. GAME want £5 per amiibo pre-order, non-refundable, and there's never any certainty how much the things are going to cost you - most of that fiver may end up as GAME tax when the £14.99 price-hike stickers come out to play.

Is it realistic that Nintendo will keep stores supplied for when the wave 2 street date officially arrives next week? Within one week wave 1 was already thin on the shelves with some characters yet to reappear. I'm not super confident, but happy to be proved wrong.

The 15 year old collector in me loves the hunt/search/uncertainty of it all, but the adult demands total structure in everything I do these days. Guess we'll find out what's gonna happen sometime in January when this madness all starts again.

Edited by Guy

So this has turned out to be a rather expensive and borderline ridiculous hobby....

They're selling out everywhere, no one knows if they're going to be restocked... I wanted it to be like - get the ones I really want, and slowly pick up additional ones in sales and for presents and such. But instead, I'm now having to preorder them all! And shulk, dedede and metaknight have sold out in oreorderd alone EVERYWHERE!

Crazy! Have Nintendo under stocked? Are they just really popular? Bit of both?

Oh boy...

I share your concern @Guy. I actually wasn't that happy with the wave shipping early as it will be on this months credit card bill now rather than the next. The release day thing needs sorting not only for payment reasons but it would be nice to know that you can walk into a shop and get them when they say. If they continue putting them out whenever they feel like it then it's gonna be a nightmare tracking some of them down.

Like you @dazzybee I'm having to preorder them all to make sure I get them. The situation is far from ideal.

Nintendo are doing a bit of a dodgy thing by not giving straight answers as to which models are gonna be discontinued down the line. By remaining silent or not answering the question and giving none answers they have created demand for every single one of the Amiibo rather than just a few. It's a very dirty tactic in my eyes.

So this has turned out to be a rather expensive and borderline ridiculous hobby....

They're selling out everywhere, no one knows if they're going to be restocked... I wanted it to be like - get the ones I really want, and slowly pick up additional ones in sales and for presents and such. But instead, I'm now having to preorder them all! And shulk, dedede and metaknight have sold out in oreorderd alone EVERYWHERE!

Crazy! Have Nintendo under stocked? Are they just really popular? Bit of both?

Oh boy...

Game in Sheffield - Meadowhall has a quite a few (Wave 1) in stock this morning.

Oh and @dazzybee, they had the Wii U headset for £8

Got to say, I wasn't that impressed by them with it being the first time I've had a good look at the figures up close.

Game in Sheffield - Meadowhall has a quite a few (Wave 1) in stock this morning.

Oh and @dazzybee, they had the Wii U headset for £8

Got to say, I wasn't that impressed by them with it being the first time I've had a good look at the figures up close.

Is it this one - http://www.game.co.uk/en/turtle-beach-ear-force-nla-headset-for-wii-u-black-185731?categoryIdentifier=329625&catGroupId=

So I am getting some of these from my Housemates for Christmas, however they decided that I should just have them as they come which leads me to believe it might be they had to shop around to get mine, though they managed to find me a Kirby Amiibo which when I looked couldn't find them anywhere, hoping they didn't have to pay a lot extra to get it. Got Pikachu today and it looks brilliant, only in light do you even notice the mould line and the paint job is pretty much perfect.

My local game only had Samus and Captain Falcon Amiibo's on display, but only 3 in total, all £15 which is just ridiculous, when everywhere else sells them at RRP why are GAME selling them for more than that? Ridiculous

If the stock is selling at £15 then why not sell it for £15?

If people only bought the amiibo for £11 then the price would reflect that. Fact is, Amiibo supply isn't meeting demand, Christmas is near, prices go sky high.

I do hope that a wave 9 is launched with re-released "rare" models.

Or that they release them in different poses maybe...

Also it's not just Game, Marth can be bought for £40, villager £35 and wii fit trainer £25 on amazon. Kirby and Pikachu for £20.

Edited by Pestneb

Apparent Amiibo Manufacturing Error Gives Marth Two Swords

Two-cannon Samus and legless Peach aren't the only Amiibo manufacturing mistakes, it seems.

2757558-marthamiibodefect.jpg

This is what the Marth Amiibo should look like

First there was a Samus Aran Amiibo with two arm cannons. Then a Princess Peach with no legs. Now, what appears to be another Amiibo manufacturing error has come to light.

A reader sent us an image of a Marth Amiibo with two swords and no sheath. Marth is only supposed to have one sword and one sheath, as you can see in the official, Nintendo-prepared image below.

2757568-marth.jpg

We've seen multiple images and three videos that seem to suggest that this Marth Amiibo is a bonafide manufacturing blunder, and not someone trying to pull a fast one on us.

We're also told that the toy remains factory sealed, something we concluded was true after seeing videos that seemed to show the box had not been tampered with.

Of course, this is the Internet, and nothing is ever absolutely 100 percent.

This rumored Amiibo manufacturing error is particularly noteworthy because it's the first we've ever seen of this kind of mistake. As such, it could become a valuable collector's item, just like the legless Prince Peach Amiibo that sold for over $25,000 earlier this week.

If there's enough interest around the dual-wielding Marth Amiibo, expect it to show up for sale on eBay, the reader told us. Marth could end up proving to be a true rarity, as some reports are coming in that the character may have already been discontinued by Nintendo.

Nintendo's Skylanders-style Amiibo line was released in late November alongside Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The toys have been top-sellers, shifting some 700,000 units in ten days, and that's just for the United States. The most popular Amiibo so far is Link, from the Legend of Zelda series.

2757575-amiibomarth.jpg

2757576-marthamiibo1.jpg

2757577-marthamiibo2.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/apparent-amiibo-manufacturing-error-gives-marth-tw/1100-6424190/

Edited by Wii

If the stock is selling at £15 then why not sell it for £15?

If people only bought the amiibo for £11 then the price would reflect that. Fact is, Amiibo supply isn't meeting demand, Christmas is near, prices go sky high.

I do hope that a wave 9 is launched with re-released "rare" models.

Or that they release them in different poses maybe...

Also it's not just Game, Marth can be bought for £40, villager £35 and wii fit trainer £25 on amazon. Kirby and Pikachu for £20.

It's disguting you're condoning it.

Taking advantage of people isn't a justifiable action.

Well I played a bit with my Captain Falcon amiibo today, he went from level 1 to 40 in 1 session and has learnt pretty well although it refuses to drop down from the ledge and double jump to knee opponents on the stage. Maybe I need to do some 1 on 1 fights against it.

BTW if you have customisations disabled then do the items and abilities you teach it still affect the amiibo? Cause I noticed it was taking more damage and being knocked out a lot earlier than Captain Falcon normally does.

What the hell.

There's no way that's a legit sale, right? That's A RIDICULOUS PRICE.

---

I'm sure we'll see new generic branded versions of any "discontinued" characters next year. Personally I wouldn't mind Nintendo introducing colour variant figures in future waves - or start adding in random colour variants to keep us all sweating, losing sleep and stalking toy stores. I think it all depends on how successful the first few waves really are, but I'm sure it won't be long before unattainable exclusives start appearing around the world, that's when things will really heat up.

A different coloured Yoshi Amiibo as a Club Nintendo reward could be a nice one.

Japan will no doubt get the best ones, as usual.

You seem to WANT to spend ludicrous amounts of money on all this :)

It's really nice to have something to collect again. Been a long time since I really collected anything. Maybe I'll get bored in a few months though.