N-Europe

IGN RUMOR - Nintendo may show new hardware at E3

canand

I think a lot of people are indeed forgetting that the 3DS really is looking like it has peaked. But my opinion of the situation is that they're more likely to introduce an enhanced revision, similar to the DSi, to try and perk up sales but my mind is at a loss at what could be included to bump up sales in the long term as the DSi is around about the time the general public started to slow down and get a little confused about what's going on with the handheld.

But who knows, the industry has changed heavily over the past decade. There's absolutely no doubt that the DS was stretched as far as it could possibly go, and probably would have been replaced a lot quicker had it not seen the success it attained. The 3DS caught up and exceeded the DS sales for quite a period, but is now back to under performing.

It's quite a difficult thing to guess, but Nintendo coming out and denying the rumours doesn't convince me in the slightest as they've never been in such a desperate position to make sure people are buying their hardware. Any acknowledgement of the announcement other than a flat out denial would have seen potential sales for 3DS and Wii U (definitely not going to be any thing to do with Wii U IMO) drop.

Here's my betting in order of what I perceive as most likely:

Vitality sensor follow up (like I mentioned yesterday)

NFC toys (though that's grasping straws for 'new hardware')

3DS revision

3DS successor

Any Wii U reiteration/follow up

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are indeed forgetting that the 3DS really is looking like it has peaked. But my opinion of the situation is that they're more likely to introduce an enhanced revision, similar to the DSi, to try and perk up sales but my mind is at a loss at what could be included to bump up sales in the long term as the DSi is around about the time the general public started to slow down and get a little confused about what's going on with the handheld.

But who knows, the industry has changed heavily over the past decade. There's absolutely no doubt that the DS was stretched as far as it could possibly go, and probably would have been replaced a lot quicker had it not seen the success it attained. The 3DS caught up and exceeded the DS sales for quite a period, but is now back to under performing.

It's quite a difficult thing to guess, but Nintendo coming out and denying the rumours doesn't convince me in the slightest as they've never been in such a desperate position to make sure people are buying their hardware. Any acknowledgement of the announcement other than a flat out denial would have seen potential sales for 3DS and Wii U (definitely not going to be any thing to do with Wii U IMO) drop.

Here's my betting in order of what I perceive as most likely:

Vitality sensor follow up (like I mentioned yesterday)

NFC toys (though that's grasping straws for 'new hardware')

3DS revision

3DS successor

Any Wii U reiteration/follow up

I agree that there probably won't be any accessories for the Wii U.

To me, the most natural and obvious product would be a phone version of the 3DS.

mm. Based off an IGN interview where Miyamoto said that he hoped to see Starfox on Wii U, I'm predicted we'll get a trailer of it. I imagine the Pikmin 3 team will be the ones working on it :)

Metroid. Starfox. Zelda. Pokémon.

It'll be a glorious E3.

Disclaimer; The above is speculation and not an indicator of insider knowledge

It'll be a glorious E3.

Pokemon you say? Pokemon what and on where? ;)

Nintendo%20Phone.jpg

Ahh.. the improbable dream :awesome:

Flipping glorious!

Seriously if Nintendo's next handheld was a phone, that would be game over for the competition. Thats the sort of revival play that Nintendo needs, I feel.

Makes so much sense.

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

Pokemon you say? Pokemon what and on where? ;)

Pokémon Art Academy on 3DS

Flipping glorious!

Seriously if Nintendo's next handheld was a phone, that would be game over for the competition. Thats the sort of revival play that Nintendo needs, I feel.

Makes so much sense.

I disagree. I think a Nintendo phone would flop faster than the Wii U, maybe even Virtual Boy levels

It'll be a glorious E3.

Metroid Starfox Zelda Pokemon Fusion Saga?

A Nintenphone wouldn't do that well, trying to break into the phone market this late is a terrible idea. So many of the traditional competitors are dropping out due to the juggernauts of Samsung and Apple. If Nintendo did come out with a 3DS phone, I doubt it would ever become mainstream, would probably be less popular than the Windows phones.

Why? Lack of phone experience?

Would involve the investment of a lot of resources to just get a foothold in the phone market. You'd have to cut deals with Telecom companies, have a killer advertising campaign and have a compelling product which resonates with phone users. Just trying to sell a phone to gamers is a too small of a niche in the market to bother with such an attempt. Look at how the Xperia Play went, no doubt Nintendo would actually be able to put games behind any attempt they put forward but still, just having a phone and sticking button controls on it is not an instant recipe to success.

Even if you achieved all that, you'd still have Apple and Samsung to contend with, with both holding a significant portion of the market share at the moment and are consolidating their positions. Even if it is possible, it's not worth the effort in my opinion and is hardly something Nintendo would ever dream of attempting.

Makes so much sense.

lol seriously?... I wouldn't go anywhere near a Nintendo phone, they can't even get chat features on their consoles :p It would be so incredibly gimped in terms of features and functionality.

Pretty sure it would be a disaster.

Would involve the investment of a lot of resources to just get a foothold in the phone market. You'd have to cut deals with Telecom companies, have a killer advertising campaign and have a compelling product which resonates with phone users. Just trying to sell a phone to gamers is a too small of a niche in the market to bother with such an attempt. Look at how the Xperia Play went, no doubt Nintendo would actually be able to put games behind any attempt they put forward but still, just having a phone and sticking button controls on it is not an instant recipe to success.

Even if you achieved all that, you'd still have Apple and Samsung to contend with, with both holding a significant portion of the market share at the moment and are consolidating their positions. Even if it is possible, it's not worth the effort in my opinion and is hardly something Nintendo would ever dream of attempting.

Well put... Well as long as I can still dream...right? :/

lol seriously?... I wouldn't go anywhere near a Nintendo phone, they can't even get chat features on their consoles :p It would be so incredibly gimped in terms of features and functionality.

LOL imagine no chat features on a phone. :o

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

They can get chat features on their console, as evidence by MK8, Pokémon X & Y etc.

Just because they are restricted by choice of Nintendo does not mean they don't exist

They can get chat features on their console, as evidence by MK8, Pokémon X & Y etc.

Just because they are restricted by choice of Nintendo does not mean they don't exist

No need to be so utterly pedantic, you know what I mean...

Everything's so restricted, half baked and modded with Nintendo, it would be a nightmare to use a phone made by them. People wouldn't go near the thing.

Edited by Retro_Link

Pokémon Art Academy on 3DS

I disagree. I think a Nintendo phone would flop faster than the Wii U, maybe even Virtual Boy levels

That would depend.

It'd flop instantly if it'd be its own system which requires special games, sepparate devkits and so on.

If it'd just be a 3DS that you can make phone calls with, no problem. The 3DS has the potential to do everything a modern phone does.

Many people don't buy portable consoles because they find it pointless to own two portable devices that can play games. Espescially if one can make phone calls, has Spotify and is smaller, lighter, has wifi-free internet etc.

I rarelly ever carry around on my 3DS, because it doesen't fit in my pocket and I rarely ever have time to play on the go. I think that mobile games suck, so whenever I do have the time, I regret not having my 3DS, but I don't play on the phone either. Allow me to buy a 3DS phone, and I'll start buying WAY more 3DS software. And I think a lot of people feel the same way.

Oh stop being so utterly pedantic, you know what I mean...

Everything's so restricted, half baked and modded with Nintendo, it would be a nightmare to use a phone made by them. People wouldn't go near the thing.

It would be a pretty impressive feat if they could achieve that, phone design and functionality is pretty standardised at the moment. Nobody would really care if it was missing things like Siri, as long as you can make calls, text, has a functional browser and plenty of apps it'd do fine. The hardest part of breaking into the phone market at the moment is brand recognition, Apple is about to release a new model phone with barely any changes in the functionality and it still sells like hot cakes.

I get your point of Nintendo being backwards, but it would be pretty hard to make a 'backwards' phone unless you went with the Ngage taco school of design.

A Nintendo phone would not work and it would flop heavily. They simply do not have the reputation required to sell a phone in large quantities. I mean even Sony struggle and their phones are utterly brilliant spec wise. As far as mobiles are concerned all they should ever do is release some mobile games of good quality similar to the Rayman Runner title or even a Wario Ware mini game collection. But a phone? Hell no. It's not even worth speculating.

It would be a pretty impressive feat if they could achieve that, phone design and functionality is pretty standardised at the moment. Nobody would really care if it was missing things like Siri, as long as you can make calls, text, has a functional browser and plenty of apps it'd do fine. The hardest part of breaking into the phone market at the moment is brand recognition, Apple is about to release a new model phone with barely any changes in the functionality and it still sells like hot cakes.

I get your point of Nintendo being backwards, but it would be pretty hard to make a 'backwards' phone unless you went with the Ngage taco school of design.

I dunno, it's even things like a camera, I mean look at the shocker on the 3DS, Nintendo like to keep things affordable and I just don't think they'd stand a chance against the competition in the phone market.

As @Goron_3 just said, games/runner games are where Nintendo should be on mobiles, far more resource friendly.

Edited by Retro_Link

A Nintendo phone would not work and it would flop heavily. They simply do not have the reputation required to sell a phone in large quantities. I mean even Sony struggle and their phones are utterly brilliant spec wise. As far as mobiles are concerned all they should ever do is release some mobile games of good quality similar to the Rayman Runner title or even a Wario Ware mini game collection. But a phone? Hell no. It's not even worth speculating.

No doubt. How anyone can think Nintendo releasing a phone would be a good idea amazes me.

No doubt. How anyone can think Nintendo releasing a phone would be a good idea amazes me.

As stated before: if it's a new machine with its own architecture etc, then it's terrible.

If it's just a 3DS which is slightly redesigned to be able to make phone calls (top screen always displayed and with touch features), and perhaps the added benefit to be able to use online features without wifi, then there's no problem: the "phone" has a large back catalogue and already has software coming out for it.

It may or may not win over traditional smartphone owners, but people looking to buy a 3DS will think whether it'll be worth the extra 20 euro to be able to have these features (because that's probably what it'd cost to make). Many people will think it's smarter to pay the extra money, rather than to buy a phone separately (no, there's no such thing as a free or 1€ phone, you just pay extra in your subscription fees). In fact, some people will prefer to split their 3DS payments up, in a way similar to the subscription fees.

Nintendo would never make a dent in apple's sales, but let's face it: phones have a one year life span on the market. When we're talking about flops, we're still probably talking about a few MILLION units sold.

:/... No need for the passive-aggressively, snide remarks.

I dont know the technicalities, but if a 3DS had a phone and text feature, I will be attracted to it and I can imagine many others will appreciate the convenience.

If there really is hardware it'll probably be some kind of new accessory like a camera and/or a new WiiU SKU with more internal memory. The biggest thing it could possibly be is an early look at the next handheld but I wouldn't put money on that (though tenner says they go back to the Gameboy brand on the next iteration).