NEurope
canand

IGN RUMOR - Nintendo may show new hardware at E3

It's not like Nintendo have ever denied anything only for it to be proved true and in some cases less than a week later. They probably don't want to spread like wildfire and steal their thunder at E3 if true. I bet they've been onto IGN and others to tell them to shut the f up.

But in those instances, they never categorically denied it. They chose words carefully. This time, they made an absolute statement.

I still think we might see the next generation of Nintendo handheld at E3 and I wouldn't be surprised if it launches next year. Here's why:

Sales:

DS hardware sales peaked in 2012, showing a fall in 2013. This is significant because:

-Nintendo released Animal Crossing, Pokemon and many other top titles in 2013, yet sales went down.

-They released a VERY cheap DS iteration (2DS) alongside Pokemon.

-The 3DS was available in most places at a cheaper price in 2013 than it was 2012.

-The N64's peak year was the fiscal year ENDING in March 99..the GC came out in 2001. That gap hurt Nintendo; they released the successor too late. The same happened with the Wii; it peaks in the 2009 fiscal year and it took over 2 years to get a successor. Now, if the 3DS sold less in 2013 than it did in 2012, what will it be like in 2011?

The 3DS isn't an attractive proposition for many people. Whilst it's selling enough to be worth it for Nintendo, it's clear the market has moved on. Unfortunately, the 3DS (hardware, not software) does not provide huge margins, mainly because of the 3D and the patent infringements that they are paying for. The huge price of the 3DS shows this; they just aren't able to cut the cost quick enough.

Launch Periods

One of the biggest problems with the Wii U was that a lot of Nintendo staff were still involved with the 3DS and developing titles to push that system. When you have staff involved with one project, other projects might suffer. It makes sense that they might want to release their next console and next handheld a few years apart to give them fully focused launches, like the DS, Wii, Gamecube etc. The problem here is that the Wii U is a dead horse and Nintendo aren't raking in the cash like they once were. If they're investing in this QoL stuff as well, they need their consoles to be selling and well. At earliest, I can't see us getting a new Ninty home console until late 2016/2017. To avoid them releasing a handheld too close to it, 2015 would make sense.

Games and VC

Most, if not ALL, of Nintendo's handheld franchises have been exhausted at this point. We've had our Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario games, whilst also our Pokemon and Animal Crossing titles. The touch generation titles just didn't have a huge effect at galvanising sales.

The VC though is the main reason I think we should expect an announcement. Nintendo have announced that the next home and handheld consoles will share the same architecture, which will mean that we can expect a VC across both platforms with the same library and a unified account. Now, notice how poor the Wii U and 3DS library are? They are virtually empty. I'm 100% convinced that Nintendo are working on getting their previous VC games and consoles running perfectly on the new OS and for future systems, so that when they launch a huge library will be available. I don't believe for a second that Nintendo aren't investing in VC, I just think they are planning ahead, especially given that the 3DS can't even emulate the GBA.

Branding

The DS brand was exceptionally strong and it's lasted a long time, but much like the Wii it banked on the success of casual gamers. The brand is too intertwined with that market which has moved on; the brand isn't strong enough to just start again and Nintendo know it...The truth is that the DS brand is nowhere near as strong as it used to be; it doesn't resonate with people as much as it used to. The 3DS released a long time after the DS, when it was past it's strongest sales period, and interest has never really recovered since.

Now, some people will disagree that it's too soon.

It will kill the 3DS's momentum.

Yeah..that's not the case. The PS2 sold tens of millions after the PS3 came out and the GBA did the same with the DS. A strong brand will keep on selling; the problem. Nintendo have historically struggled to sell units of a console when they release a successor (with the DS being the exception) because they've run out of software to push it. The last year of the N64 was painful, as was the Gamecube's final year. The last year of the Wii was horrendous too. That said, in all industries, succession does not kill momentum if the value proposition is still strong. Why is the PS3 selling decent amounts now? Why did people keep buying the PS2 or GBA? What about old generation iPads? They sell in the millions.

A hasn't been out a long time

Firstly, tell that to the GBA...The DS was pushed out very soon after the GBA launched.

Secondly (and importantly), business projects like the 3DS don't HAVE a lifespan that is fixed; their lifetime is a result of the market place and strategy. Don't think of it as 'The 3DS has only been out since 2011'; think of it as 'The DS brand started in 2004 and it's now in huge decline (as mentioned above)'. The argument of 'killing it prematurely' doesn't apply. It's past its best.

Anyway, those are just some ramblings based off of Nintendo's current position. I am not saying 'They WILL surprise us with a new handheld', but don't be surprised if they do. Given the 3DS's current state, we will very likely have a successor next year. They could show it off at E3, even if it's just a reveal similar to the Wii E3 2005 reveal.

I still think we might see the next generation of Nintendo handheld at E3 and I wouldn't be surprised if it launches next year. Here's why:

Sales:

DS hardware sales peaked in 2012, showing a fall in 2013. This is significant because:

-Nintendo released Animal Crossing, Pokemon and many other top titles in 2013, yet sales went down.

-They released a VERY cheap DS iteration (2DS) alongside Pokemon.

-The 3DS was available in most places at a cheaper price in 2013 than it was 2012.

-The N64's peak year was the fiscal year ENDING in March 99..the GC came out in 2001. That gap hurt Nintendo; they released the successor too late. The same happened with the Wii; it peaks in the 2009 fiscal year and it took over 2 years to get a successor. Now, if the 3DS sold less in 2013 than it did in 2012, what will it be like in 2011?

The 3DS isn't an attractive proposition for many people. Whilst it's selling enough to be worth it for Nintendo, it's clear the market has moved on. Unfortunately, the 3DS (hardware, not software) does not provide huge margins, mainly because of the 3D and the patent infringements that they are paying for. The huge price of the 3DS shows this; they just aren't able to cut the cost quick enough.

Launch Periods

One of the biggest problems with the Wii U was that a lot of Nintendo staff were still involved with the 3DS and developing titles to push that system. When you have staff involved with one project, other projects might suffer. It makes sense that they might want to release their next console and next handheld a few years apart to give them fully focused launches, like the DS, Wii, Gamecube etc. The problem here is that the Wii U is a dead horse and Nintendo aren't raking in the cash like they once were. If they're investing in this QoL stuff as well, they need their consoles to be selling and well. At earliest, I can't see us getting a new Ninty home console until late 2016/2017. To avoid them releasing a handheld too close to it, 2015 would make sense.

Games and VC

Most, if not ALL, of Nintendo's handheld franchises have been exhausted at this point. We've had our Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario games, whilst also our Pokemon and Animal Crossing titles. The touch generation titles just didn't have a huge effect at galvanising sales.

The VC though is the main reason I think we should expect an announcement. Nintendo have announced that the next home and handheld consoles will share the same architecture, which will mean that we can expect a VC across both platforms with the same library and a unified account. Now, notice how poor the Wii U and 3DS library are? They are virtually empty. I'm 100% convinced that Nintendo are working on getting their previous VC games and consoles running perfectly on the new OS and for future systems, so that when they launch a huge library will be available. I don't believe for a second that Nintendo aren't investing in VC, I just think they are planning ahead, especially given that the 3DS can't even emulate the GBA.

Branding

The DS brand was exceptionally strong and it's lasted a long time, but much like the Wii it banked on the success of casual gamers. The brand is too intertwined with that market which has moved on; the brand isn't strong enough to just start again and Nintendo know it...The truth is that the DS brand is nowhere near as strong as it used to be; it doesn't resonate with people as much as it used to. The 3DS released a long time after the DS, when it was past it's strongest sales period, and interest has never really recovered since.

Now, some people will disagree that it's too soon.

It will kill the 3DS's momentum.

Yeah..that's not the case. The PS2 sold tens of millions after the PS3 came out and the GBA did the same with the DS. A strong brand will keep on selling; the problem. Nintendo have historically struggled to sell units of a console when they release a successor (with the DS being the exception) because they've run out of software to push it. The last year of the N64 was painful, as was the Gamecube's final year. The last year of the Wii was horrendous too. That said, in all industries, succession does not kill momentum if the value proposition is still strong. Why is the PS3 selling decent amounts now? Why did people keep buying the PS2 or GBA? What about old generation iPads? They sell in the millions.

A hasn't been out a long time

Firstly, tell that to the GBA...The DS was pushed out very soon after the GBA launched.

Secondly (and importantly), business projects like the 3DS don't HAVE a lifespan that is fixed; their lifetime is a result of the market place and strategy. Don't think of it as 'The 3DS has only been out since 2011'; think of it as 'The DS brand started in 2004 and it's now in huge decline (as mentioned above)'. The argument of 'killing it prematurely' doesn't apply. It's past its best.

Anyway, those are just some ramblings based off of Nintendo's current position. I am not saying 'They WILL surprise us with a new handheld', but don't be surprised if they do. Given the 3DS's current state, we will very likely have a successor next year. They could show it off at E3, even if it's just a reveal similar to the Wii E3 2005 reveal.

I don't doubt that we'll likely get a new handheld next year. What I do doubt is them revealing it this year. It'd be too risky considering they're relying on 3DS for revenue at themoment. If they risk the sales of that, then they could damage their business.

Reveal it next E3 for release next Autumn. Simple

Edited by Serebii

I hope they don't! I'm not ready for a new handheld :( I feel as though the 3DS has just started and still has so much untapped potential!

I think the 3DS feels quite dated now. The graphical capabilities were too weak at launch and with the presence of the Vita now and crystal clear graphics on mobile games...I would be happy for a new console.

No idea if anything will come of any of these rumours, but I'm definitely hopeful.

I think the 3DS feels quite dated now. The graphical capabilities were too weak at launch and with the presence of the Vita now and crystal clear graphics on mobile games...I would be happy for a new console.

No idea if anything will come of any of these rumours, but I'm definitely hopeful.

Have to say, I feel the same. I also don't like the shape of the XL; the bottom corners or the unit can make holding it for long periods of time pretty uncomfortable.

I want a company to embrace a comfortable handheld device. Realistically, the 3DS XL and Vita are both too big for a pocket, so most people have a carry case that they pop in their bag or whatever. Give it a slight curvature, like a slightly slimmer version of a normal console controller, so it feels more comfortable. That would be brilliant. Like a cross between a DS and a Gamecube controller.

I'm fine with the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, Nintendo prove time and time again great games aren't about about a console's technical horsepower. The screen resolution on the other hand is pretty painful in this day and age, that's what desperately needs updating.

I just have this image now of them releasing the Wii U Mk II and men in suits turning up to your house to repossess your console.

Erase all records of the Wii U's existence from living history! :laughing:

I'm fine with the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, Nintendo prove time and time again great games aren't about about a console's technical horsepower. The screen resolution on the other hand is pretty painful in this day and age, that's what desperately needs updating.

Why not both? Great games on a powerful console/moar horsepower.

The resolution is the only issue with the 3DS. The graphics it can do are great. Hell, I sometimes don't even notice that the resolution is so small.

However, having a massively high-spec handheld is not as cost-effective as you may think. Mobiles get away with it through subsidised contracts. Buying one on its own is typically like £400-500 for a decent performing model, game-wise.

It'd be another seriously loss-leading thing if they're to go through with it at this point.

But, I digress. It's not coming this year. This is the one time Nintendo has outright denied something, rather than dance around it, so the discussion is moot for now.

But, I digress. It's not coming this year. This is the one time Nintendo has outright denied something, rather than dance around it, so the discussion is moot for now.

Sometimes it's just fun to talk, brah. You know, discuss things. We can dream a little.

For its time (2010-2011) the 3DS was actually a very powerful little handheld, handidly outclassing even top of the line smartphones that were several times its price (and all while rendering games twice for 3D!)

In comparison to every previous Nintendo handheld, it has been able to remain competitive in terms of visuals (in comparison to other high spec handheld devices) for far longer than the likes of the DS or the GBA (of course that was also reflected in its cost - which was far higher than Nintendo's previous handhelds and also their first loss leading one, when the price drop was done). Even the Vita isn't that far ahead really (certainly nowhere near the gap between the DS and PSP, not even remotely close!)

I don't really find myself itching for a new handheld at all. What modern functionality is it really lacking anyway? Even its visuals still look great, with it still pushing out stunners like Mario Golf WT, Ace Attorney DD, Zelda ALBW, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Smash Bros 3DS!

I can't believe it's finally happening...

wii-vitality-sensor.jpg

GOT SO MUCH OF DEM FEELS?!

Whilst I am not sure of the need for a news console just yet it does feel like we are in the time in the 3ds life that we had with the original ds where Nintendo have lost interest in making first party games for it. From that point of view I think a new console would be welcome.

Even the Vita isn't that far ahead really (certainly nowhere near the gap between the DS and PSP, not even remotely close!)

Out of interest, do you have a Vita that you have played a fair number of games on to say this? From my experience I'd say the difference is pretty huge and the gap is about the same between this and last gen handhelds. DS felt like it was slightly behind N64 (it did Mario 64 DS with updated visuals but something felt a little less than N64 to me) and the PSP was somewhere below PS2, so probably about 1 generation between both units. This time 3DS feels somewhat below gamecube and the Vita somewhat below PS3. You'd be splitting hairs to go into any more detail but for all intents and purposes there's always felt like a roughly 1 gen gap.

As for the 3DS being powerful for the time, again I'd have to very much disagree. When I got my 3DS I wasn't left feeling wowed or that it was good for the time; I was definitely happy with the boost from the DS but I didn't feel like it was as good as it could have been. I remember thinking that the resolution on the original 3DS was pretty low, a problem which was amplified on the XL.

Edited by Sheikah

The vita isn't even close to a ps3. The vita screen is nice but I don't particularly think there's a huge difference bar resolution. Does tearaway look so so much better than mario? Little big karting than mario kart?

As for this... I'd take a new handheld. But wouldn't be bothered either. I just feel they need to do so much with the Wii u a new handheld could take away more...

The vita isn't even close to a ps3. The vita screen is nice but I don't particularly think there's a huge difference bar resolution.

Isn't even close is a huge exaggeration there. It's either at least as close or closer to PS3 than 3DS is to GameCube though, and that's the only point I was making - there's still at least a clear 1 gen gap between units.

If you look at Borderlands 2 or Uncharted on Vita you would definitely place this closer to PS3 than PS2. Likewise, when I look at games on the 3DS I would place it closer to GameCube (but certainly not level with it).

Isn't even close is a huge exaggeration there. It's either at least as close or closer to PS3 than 3DS is to GameCube though, and that's the only point I was making - there's still at least a clear 1 gen gap between units.

If you look at Borderlands 2 or Uncharted on Vita you would definitely place this closer to PS3 than PS2. Likewise, when I look at games on the 3DS I would place it closer to GameCube (but certainly not level with it).

Possibly, vita does look impressive, but I think it's more that I think the 3ds is better than people are saying. I think with a shit hot screen it'd look really impressive!

Will be in interesting to see where Nintendo go? Is handheld gaming locked at this level do we think? Or will it slip even further to mobile?

Out of interest, do you have a Vita that you have played a fair number of games on to say this? From my experience I'd say the difference is pretty huge and the gap is about the same between this and last gen handhelds. DS felt like it was slightly behind N64 (it did Mario 64 DS with updated visuals but something felt a little less than N64 to me) and the PSP was somewhere below PS2, so probably about 1 generation between both units. This time 3DS feels somewhat below gamecube and the Vita somewhat below PS3. You'd be splitting hairs to go into any more detail but for all intents and purposes there's always felt like a roughly 1 gen gap.

As for the 3DS being powerful for the time, again I'd have to very much disagree. When I got my 3DS I wasn't left feeling wowed or that it was good for the time; I was definitely happy with the boost from the DS but I didn't feel like it was as good as it could have been. I remember thinking that the resolution on the original 3DS was pretty low, a problem which was amplified on the XL.

I've had a Vita since around 2 weeks or so after launch (was really desperate to play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite with a second stick - this was the period when a localisation of MH3U was looking unlikely and I absolutely HATED playing that game on the original PSP for its lack of two sticks!)

I was far more wowed by the 3DS when I first got it than the Vita (in terms of actual Vita games of course). For me the most impressive thing about the Vita is not the visual quality of its games, but rather how snappy the OS is (it is indeed much faster than the 3DS' one and is better at multi-tasking - though strangely it's web browser was, and still is, totally shite ::shrug: )

RE: Revelations was easily a match for Uncharted Golden Abyss in terms of visuals (and that's not even accounting for the fact that the 3DS is technically running that game at twice the effective framerate - 30 FPS x 2)

The fact that almost every game runs in sub native res on Vita really hurts too. What's the point in having a high res screen when the games run at low resolution (not far from the 3DS' one actually...) anyway?

But anyway, I play games for the gameplay; not the visuals anyway; and the Vita has some pretty decent ones now (Soul Sacrifice is really good, as is Stealth Inc and there's quite a few good looking games on the horizon like Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines)

But the fact that the two consoles share game engines like MT Framework Mobile says it all... The gap is utterly miniscule in comparison to the power difference between the DS and PSP. The former could never hope to run a game like Monster Hunter (which is why it went to the PSP back then instead, despite the DS having the larger userbase).

3DS is also certainly not sub GCN - the fact that it can straight up run Wii games (and with even better visuals/framerate in some cases, like with Monster Hunter 3U) should be enough to tell you that...

Edited by Dcubed

I think this will have to just be a blanket disagree from me then, as an avid player of both handhelds there certainly feels like quite a gap. That Uncharted was a launch game and still trumps everything on the other system says enough for me. Also the drop in lines of resolution makes sense to squeeze more out of the console for the sake of small resolution loss that most people won't even notice. But that can be done and often is on many a system and doesn't really speak about the system's faults, rather developer motive.

Borderlands is looking pretty incredible on the Vita though, despite having played through it on PS3 and PC already I'm tempted to go at it again.

Edited by Sheikah

The 3DS is a very handy piece of kit, and I would love to see what it could do if it had no 3D and developers could push a fantastic 2D game on there. RE:R looked fantastic but surely there's more potential there.

That said, the screen resolution is unbelievably poor. Like, it's terrible.

meh I would really mind it if they already announced a 3DS successor. I mean the console already did a great job, but it still has alot of potential to fullfill, I don't feel done with it at all. Also we basically haven't had much third party support even though it's selling well now (although I'm doubting if we'll ever see that...)

A new home console that makes the WiiU outdated is crazy, nintendo would never do that to the people who spent all that money on a WiiU so recently. They have new titles coming out like X, Bayonetta 2, smash (and hopefully a lot more we don't know about). It just wouldn't be logical to abandon the WiiU after they are finally stepping up their game.

If it's new hardware I'm guessing it would be a 3DSi, although I have no idea what that would add, 3DS basically has all major functions it need and I don't think it would benefit from a small upgrade like DS to DSi. So I'm calling the rumor bullocks :p

I think the most important thing for the next nintendo handheld is to have a SOC which is similar to mobile so the games that western developers put on mobile can easily be done and placed on a nintendo store.

Next years E3 I think we will see the next nintendo handheld.

Edited by liger05

meh I would really mind it if they already announced a 3DS successor. I mean the console already did a great job, but it still has alot of potential to fullfill, I don't feel done with it at all. Also we basically haven't had much third party support even though it's selling well now (although I'm doubting if we'll ever see that...)

A new home console that makes the WiiU outdated is crazy, nintendo would never do that to the people who spent all that money on a WiiU so recently. They have new titles coming out like X, Bayonetta 2, smash (and hopefully a lot more we don't know about). It just wouldn't be logical to abandon the WiiU after they are finally stepping up their game.

If it's new hardware I'm guessing it would be a 3DSi, although I have no idea what that would add, 3DS basically has all major functions it need and I don't think it would benefit from a small upgrade like DS to DSi. So I'm calling the rumor bullocks :p

I don't think there's loads of things left for the 3DS; it's already exhausted most of it's franchises yet sales still declined heavily, there's virtually no 3rd party support (zero from western developers) and it doesn't lend itself to VC well, particularly for GBA. We'll certainly have a new handheld in the next 18 months, simply so Nintendo can experiment with the new OS and brand, whilst testing out the virtual console. I mean, if they can release it next year and sort out the VC for launch, it would make make the 3DS look outdated in an instance and make them a LOT of money.

I agree that a Wii U successor won't happen for some time; it's the horse they've bet on and their aim is simply to make as much money as possible off it it. I think we'll see it in 2017 at the earliest...could be a long few years as a Wii U owner but hopefully they'll support it with lots of great software.