NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service closing down for Nintendo DS, DSi and Wii software

Hopping online for a few rounds of Mario Kart Wii. I think I only actually played this online a couple of times, kinda curious how it works.

[edit]

It works super well. Wow. Should have played more of this.

Edited by Guy

Hopping online for a few rounds of Mario Kart Wii. I think I only actually played this online a couple of times, kinda curious how it works.

[edit]

It works super well. Wow. Should have played more of this.

Oh man! Mario Kart Wii was a blast back in the day and one of the few online Wii experiences that is really great! A shame you're so late to the party but at least you got a few rounds in before it was over!

As for me...

I'll be playing my last online Boom Street this evening. I still don't quite know how to feel. I have my Birdo plush by me and I think I may sacrifice it later whilst crying uncontrollably into my wine glass. That's just one idea anyway.

But in all seriousness, It will be a great shame losing Boom Street! Every week I have at least one game with some good friends over Skype which lasts a good few hours. I sincerely hope they release a Wii U version! No other online game I've played is so laid back but also tactical.

I've never seen myself to be an online gamer at all really and I still don't have broadband where I'm living but recently I've tried to play some Wii and DS games online some even for the very first time and also making sure that any DLC that I can has been downloaded.

I hope that as gaming continues to change the single player and multiplayer offline modes will still be there and not diluted further. The GameSpy server shut down is going to affect a lot people and not just DS/Wii users.

So Virtual Console will be shut down?

Nintendo better start pumping out N64 games for the Wii U sharpish!

Virtual Console isn't affect, the Wii and Dsi Stores will still be up. It's the multiplayer/DLC servers that are going down.

I've played my last online games now! (as I'll be out the house tomorrow)

It really does feel like the end of an era, not just because WiFi is down, but because that was one of the few things that has kept me gaming! I've been less interested in games in the last few years and now I really don't see myself getting much else. As much as I've loved my Wii U, 360 and 3DS, they've never kept my interest in the same way the Wii and Gamecube did.

I could say it's because the games just aren't as good now but I think maybe I'm just over it now. I mean, I have been gaming a long time so it would make sense. Heck, I'm not even sure when the new Mario Kart releases other than 'a few weeks' wheras every past release I've been dying for it to come out.

Back in 07, I religiously kept up to date with all the Smash Dojo updates and did my own spin on them on HM-Fusion, but I haven't checked for about a month now and honestly, they were never that interesting for me in the first place.

An end of an era in many respects! Other than the odd 'non-gamer' title like Tomadachi Life, I think I'm done here. It's been a good ride though.

...Now I just need to find a new hobby :p

I've played my last online games now! (as I'll be out the house tomorrow)

It really does feel like the end of an era, not just because WiFi is down, but because that was one of the few things that has kept me gaming! I've been less interested in games in the last few years and now I really don't see myself getting much else. As much as I've loved my Wii U, 360 and 3DS, they've never kept my interest in the same way the Wii and Gamecube did.

I could say it's because the games just aren't as good now but I think maybe I'm just over it now. I mean, I have been gaming a long time so it would make sense. Heck, I'm not even sure when the new Mario Kart releases other than 'a few weeks' wheras every past release I've been dying for it to come out.

Back in 07, I religiously kept up to date with all the Smash Dojo updates and did my own spin on them on HM-Fusion, but I haven't checked for about a month now and honestly, they were never that interesting for me in the first place.

An end of an era in many respects! Other than the odd 'non-gamer' title like Tomadachi Life, I think I'm done here. It's been a good ride though.

...Now I just need to find a new hobby :p

Well Josh I don't know what to say! I've had a hell of a lot of fun playing games with you over the past couple of years or so. I never imagined I would enjoy Boom Street as much as I did, you and our friend in common Foo really made that game for me. I definitely got my moneys worth and I loved every second!

This really doesn't need to be the end though, we can move on and play new games together, it can be a hobby in addition to your other hobbies. I think you just need new games that you can play with friends together to help bring that spark back.

But yeah, thanks for everything Boom Street, so many good memories :bowdown:

I managed to find my sisters Wii and borrowed that to play MKWii online tonight/last night.

I played for a good 4 hours and had a total blast. It was awesome to be able to play it tonight and have as much fun as I did a good SIX years ago. Its sad the game's online mode won't be there anymore though, I can't tell you how much fun I've had playing online mode since the games release in 2008, my old Wii had clocked over 400 hours on it, and my replacement Wii had another 300 hours on top of that.

From what I hear, Nintendo's online service will shut down today at 7am Pacific time, which is around 3pm GMT so I might still be able to get a few more games in later on.

So, so long Mario Kart Wii, thanks for the memories!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Helmsly

I managed to find my sisters Wii and borrowed that to play MKWii online tonight/last night.

I played for a good 4 hours and had a total blast. It was awesome to be able to play it tonight and have as much fun as I did a good SIX years ago. Its sad the game's online mode won't be there anymore though, I can't tell you how much fun I've had playing online mode since the games release in 2008, my old Wii had clocked over 400 hours on it, and my replacement Wii had another 300 hours on top of that.

From what I hear, Nintendo's online service will shut down today at 7am Pacific time, which is around 3pm GMT so I might still be able to get a few more games in later on.

So, so long Mario Kart Wii, thanks for the memories!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Interesting, I remember last year when WiiConnect 24 went down, Nintendo stated that the servers were closing on 28th June but I was able carry on using the service until 1 am the following day. Personally, I think Nintendo/GameSpy/Glu Mobile should switch everything off at midnight local time so that people can at least play this evening.

Shame to this service is going soon, ah the memories!

I managed to find HeartGold in time, so I'm spending the remaining time in the WiFi Plaza. My favourite multiplayer feature in main series Pokémon games ever. I wish they'd bring it back (or, well, something like it)...

1CouByE.png

rest in peace ; ^ ;

We're still finding players on Mario Kart. People are being disconnected regularly though.

We're still finding players on Mario Kart. People are being disconnected regularly though.

yeah was just going to post exactly this

I imagine that, if you connected beforehand, you're not going to be kicked off.

Well if it means anything, i had been online since 2:30 and got kicked off close to 3pm, but I was able to go back online right away and do some more races

That would make sense. We were disconnected at 3pm on the dot though, then reconnected with no problem.

Just disconnected and tried to reconnect. Failed. Thanks for a fun few hours (in the last like, 8 years) WiFi Connection.

So I know it's ending today. What time, midnight or is it now? I couldn't bring myself to play it in the last while. I think I made my peace with this soon after it was announced that the servers were closing. I packed away my Wii about 2 months ago and gone Wii U only. I know I could play the Wii games on Wii U but I never did the file transfer from Wii to Wii U so I'd be starting from scratch. It's a sad day but I've easily had in the 1,000s of hours online alone and it was brilliant. R.I.P.

Yeah 2300 hours JST is 3 pm UK time and I've got a few 20110 error codes already. :-(

However Goldeneye 007 seems to be still working...(no idea for how long)

I still think the actual time of switching off sucks especially for everyone in North America where it was still morning. I guess Glu mobile won't be on my Xmas card list this year.

Edited by sumo73

I wonder if, far in the future when Nintendo's next home console is out and they are re-releasing some of these games on the the next Virtual Console, if they'll try and reinstate the online modes only with new code hosted on their own servers.

I wonder if, far in the future when Nintendo's next home console is out and they are re-releasing some of these games on the the next Virtual Console, if they'll try and reinstate the online modes only with new code hosted on their own servers.

Well, the DS Virtual Console is out later this year, so we won't have to wait long to find out

My guess is they won't because it's easier to remove/block functions than to amend them to newer technology/newer servers in the future. If you look at N64 games which had the rumble feature in them for example then that feature was removed on the Virtual Console even though the Wii remote has rumble.

I wonder if anyone will try and stay online like that chap did with Halo 2. Didn't he stay online for a month after the servers went off?