N-Europe

Should I start selling these?

Goafer

Large Scale Foamex Prints

12058427995_a0b9487612_o.jpg

So I could get these made through one of our work suppiers. In theory, I could print them up to 2.4x1.2 metres, but I'll probably limit it to A0 or below. They'd be printed on 5mm Foamex, which stands away from the wall like this so no frame would be required. Due to the thick, lightweight material, they can be screwed to pretty much any wall and won't need a frame.

Based on the prices we get at work, I could sell them for about £60 for an A0 (roughly the size of the ones pictured above), but that could change if I have to pay more due to lower quantities.

I originally came up with the poster designs to furnish my own future gaming room, but the thought came to me that others might like them as well. Do you guys think it would be a good idea, or are they just too niche?

All my designs so far are here for those who haven't seen them yet.

Your room has really changed for the better since Maddie moved in.

Most people shop at Ikea for their furniture. I shop at Adobe.

Is that a really good CGI room or is it just impeccably clean?

I think it's a combination of a clean room and good lighting. It's just an image I found on Google, so I assume it's a show home/estate agent photo or something.

Anyway I think they're amazing designs but it would probably be hard to charge that amount for posters from what people would consider an amateur. I guess it depends on where you would be planning on selling them?

Yeah, that's my main concern. I mean the main selling point is that you don't need to get them framed (which I assume is expensive for A0), so the price seems reasonable for what you're getting, but it's still a significant purchase.

It's definitely reasonable for an A0 Foamex. But as you say, it's still a lot of money.

Also, does anybody actually want A0? That's pretty big, and not a lot of people will have room for that (or want something that imposing). Surely A4/3/2 would be better; cheaper and more accessible.

Can't you sell them on redbubble initially to gauge interest?

They are already on RedBubble, but that place is extortionate for prints. With Foamex, I can supply something more in line with what I consider value for money.

It's definitely reasonable for an A0 Foamex. But as you say, it's still a lot of money.

Also, does anybody actually want A0? That's pretty big, and not a lot of people will have room for that (or want something that imposing). Surely A4/3/2 would be better; cheaper and more accessible.

Oh yeah, I could easily do any size really. I'm just using A0 as an example, since that's what I'd want.

Is there an issue of copyright at all?

I'm not sure really. There are plenty of shirt sites that seem to get away with it, but I'm not sure on the actual legality of it. I imagine things like the N7 logo and the Triforce might be tricky, but I'd have thought that the more vague ones would be ok.

I'd be interested in getting those as a viable alternative to framed versions - but I don't know the cost difference. How must more costly would it be, assuming I already had a nail in the wall, to get a print and a frame, or to just get a print and get the frame myself?

The designs are great and I'm sure there's a market there. What is the risk? Do you have to buy a load of stock before selling them or can you do it like the redbubble tees and just let the orders come in, selling at £60 for A0 no matter the quantity of sales?

I'd be interested in getting those as a viable alternative to framed versions - but I don't know the cost difference. How must more costly would it be, assuming I already had a nail in the wall, to get a print and a frame, or to just get a print and get the frame myself?

A quick search of Google and Amazon shows an A0 frame at about £40-£60. Example on Amazon

The Foamex print would come with all fixings except for the actual screws to attach the fixings to the wall (screws vary depending on which walls you screw them in to, so it would be silly to provide one/all types).

The designs are great and I'm sure there's a market there. What is the risk? Do you have to buy a load of stock before selling them or can you do it like the redbubble tees and just let the orders come in, selling at £60 for A0 no matter the quantity of sales?

I could take orders, then send an order to the supplier who would print and deliver them, so no real risk aside from wasting my own time. This was more of a curiosity thing really to see if I'm being silly.

It's a tough one because I can only give my opinion. Currently I probably would just make do with blu-tac and paper posters, but ideally the foamex scenario wins out over framed prints for the reasons you mentioned. I think it's a great idea to be able to offer foamex or framed prints, assuming the cost/profit to you is the same.

It's a tough one because I can only give my opinion. Currently I probably would just make do with blu-tac and paper posters, but ideally the foamex scenario wins out over framed prints for the reasons you mentioned. I think it's a great idea to be able to offer foamex or framed prints, assuming the cost/profit to you is the same.

That's the problems with frames. Using A0 as an example: An A0 frame is £40 at best, printing the poster could be well upwards of £20, meaning I'm already above the £60 for the equivalent Foamex. That's also before I even add some sort of profit on to it.

Plus, I'd have to order the frame, order the print, pay for them to be delivered to me and then pay again to send them to the customer. With Foamex, all I'd have to do is email the artwork to my supplier and they'd invoice me and handle the rest. The £60 I've guessed as a price for Foamex would include delivery and my own profit.

Long story short: I can offer much cheaper Foamex prints, with a lot less hassle for me.

In regards to copyright, most of the posters are pretty vague and don't use stuff directly from game - it's essentially art inspired by the games. The Triforce is a very old Japanese emblem and I don't think the N7 logo is trademarked or copyrighted.

You definitely aren't being silly. It's just about getting the right model.

Can you get prices for all sizes, and open an ebay shop where people can choose what design and size they want? Obviously it would cost a bit to open up a shop, but it would probably be the best place to get out there.

• 1 year later...

So, I'm re-exploring this as an option as I have a hankering to set up a new website and this seems as good an idea as any, especially since I now own 2 of them in A0 and IMO they look great.

Price wise, I had a bit of a dig around at work and found out how much we pay for the boards. I reckon prices would be thus:

A0: £60-70

A1: £40-50

A2: £30-40

That would be with this style fixing and possibly delivery (I've still got to find out how much that will be):

2015-09-16%2019.04.05.jpg

I may sell other things too, but I'm not sure yet as I'd need to find a supplier or buy the relevant equipment. Another possibility is smaller prints, like these (except not as copyrighted, obviously):

Mockup.jpg