NEurope
Hero-of-Time

New Wii U Update Has Arrived!

I figured this was thread worthy, rather than having it shoved in the Wii U General.

System "Autumn" update is LIVE people. I'm going downloading it now.

Download complete, it was 34 minutes to download and a further 20 minutes to install.

It's a fairly sizeable update, it's 648MB.

Update notes from Nintendo Japan (Google Translate):

Major changes due to updates to the 4.0.0J

Add the ability to output to the Wii U GamePad a picture of Wii-only software

• I was able to be output to the Wii U GamePad the image of the Wii-only software. You can choose from "both the GamePad and TV" or "TV only" the output destination. (※ 1)

Added functionality to automatically receive software to deliver from Nintendo

• Future, we have to be able to automatically receive in the "communication when did" the software recommended for trial to be delivered from Nintendo.

Corresponding input by USB keyboard

• In the scene software keyboard is available, I have to be able to use a USB keyboard. (※ 2) Click here for information on the operation has been verified USB keyboard

Added settings Nintendo Network ID

• It is now possible to set whether to use the services of Nintendo Network such as smart phones and personal computers, from devices other than the Nintendo game console.

When using the Wii-only software, I now supports Dolby Pro Logic II surround output. (※ 3)

"Updating the Wii U menu"

• Place the Wii U on the menu icon in the "friends list", it is now possible to start the "friends list" from the Wii U menu.

Updating the "Settings"

• I have to allow the setting of the automatic receipt of the software in the "Internet".
  • I have to be able to select the sound output of cable TV in the "TV". You can if you are connected with an HDMI cable, and outputs it to the speakers of the commercial sound in conjunction and "Wii-only AV cable".Click here for details

• If the operation of the power supply is OFF is enabled in the "Setting the Power", I was able to be set in hourly operation interval.

"Updating the Wii U Chat"

• The incoming response time from friends or outgoing to friends, I was able to be confirmed by Miiverse profile opponent.
  • It is now possible to call using the headset that is connected to the Wii U GamePad.

Updating the "Internet Browser"

• You have to allow the / fast-forward operation rewind a certain time in the L / R button on the Wii U GamePad During movie playback. I can also fast-forward playback Press and hold the R button.
  • If you are logged in to the web site using your user name and password, it is now possible to save the user name and password you entered. (※ 4)
  • If you start the Internet browser by interrupting the software, you can now be uploaded to the web site, such as bulletin boards and blogs, the image of the Wii U GamePad screen tv screens and soft interruption.
  • I have to be able to view a PDF file on the website. (※ 5)
  • As a function of the web site developer, I have to be able to use the developer tools and switching of user agent.

Improved convenience and stability of the system

• As you can enjoy more comfortable, it has been improved convenience and stability of the system.

(※ 1)

It does not correspond to the operations in the Wii U GamePad. You can instead of the TV screen, playing by displaying the game screen to GamePad. In order to enjoy a Wii exclusive software, operation by the Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus is required.

(※ 2)

Some, there is also software you can not use a USB keyboard.

(※ 3)

I am limited to Dolby Pro Logic II compatible software.

(※ 4)

The user name and password that are saved, you can delete the "Internet Browser" in the "Settings".

(※ 5)

Depending on the data size and format of the PDF file, you may not be displayed correctly. In addition, you will not be able to save the PDF file.

Cheer for the details, @Wii.

Having Wii games on the Gamepad is fantastic news. I like playing JRPGs on a handheld as it makes for easy levelling up when you have something on the TV in the background. Maybe now I will finally be able to finish Xenoblade!

Reading on Gaf there do seem to be issues with it though. Some games seem to be missing sound effects and music drops in and out.

I have to say that I am disappointed ( again ) with the lack of a cross chat/messaging system being implemented. I really could have done with some folders as well. :(

Edited by Hero-of-Time

HOLY JEBUS! WII OFF TV PLAY!? MEGATON OF THE CENTURY! (too bad that almost all of my Wii games are NTSC ones - making them unplayable on my Wii U without hacking Wii mode :( )

I didn't even think that was possible! :o (Ok, the lack of Gamepad controls is totally expected but still! WOW!)

Nice to see them finally fix DPL2 support for original Wii games as well :D

Edited by Dcubed

The amount of whining about lack of GamePad controls on GAF is retarded...absolutely retarded.

The amount of whining about lack of GamePad controls on GAF is retarded...absolutely retarded.

Almost as retarded as people trying to play a Wii game (with reforge and nunchuk) on a gamepad. Not saying I would ever expect Gamepad controls... I just never expected such a terrible, ill-thought out feature from Nintendo.

Almost as retarded as people trying to play a Wii game (with reforge and nunchuk) on a gamepad. Not saying I would ever expect Gamepad controls... I just never expected such a terrible, ill-thought out feature from Nintendo.

How is it an ill thought out feature?

Any significant improvement in speeds? You know, the thing we were promised 10 months ago? Because it's not av great feature list above.

No doubt it's either a technical limitation involving the Virtual Wii being unable to detect any controllers other than the ones that a normal Wii would be able to detect, or it's a matter of Nintendo not wanting to break the Wii U's security by allowing the VWii to access the Wii U's hardware features.

TBH, I didn't even expect them to be able to do this at all! (And go figure, most of my games are US versions, so I won't be able to play most of my games on my Wii U :cry: )

BTW, this is gonna be great for Rhythm Heaven Wii players with laggy TVs. No more input lag! :D

Edited by Dcubed

How is it an ill thought out feature?

Just how do you play stuff? Gamepad on the coffee table, squinting at the screen? Sounds a joyous experience.

Yeah I dont actually see the point of being able to play Wii games on the gamepad when you cannot actually use the gamepad to play the games.

Any significant improvement in speeds? You know, the thing we were promised 10 months ago? Because it's not av great feature list above.

It's really fast now. Games boot in a matter of seconds for me

Just how do you play stuff? Gamepad on the coffee table, squinting at the screen? Sounds a joyous experience.

Well I have played F-Zero with the GamePad on my desk and me using the Classic Controller. I imagine it's no different to that

Yeah I dont actually see the point of being able to play Wii games on the gamepad when you cannot actually use the gamepad to play the games.

The update basically gives everyone one of these for free...

gcn-screen1.jpg

No matter how you slice it, that's pretty cool (although the real megaton here should be DPL2 support for Wii games being fixed ;) )

Man, this update is taking its sweet time...

The wiimote stuff I can see causing some issues but when a game like Xenoblade supports the Classic Controller you should be able to map them controls to the Gamepad.

What I find amusing about the Wii games is that many fanboys tried to defend the lack of Wii games on the gamepad when the Wii U launched. They kept harping on how it couldn't be done and if it could then Nintendo would have done it.

The update basically gives everyone one of these for free...

gcn-screen1.jpg

Because the WiiU is rammed with GameCube ports.

They had better not have completely gotten rid of the old eShop music. That was my favourite of all the Nintendo shop music tracks! (I'm sure that someone has archived it, but still... :( )

I actually noticed this last night before the update. The e-Shop icon was flashing so I decided to check it. There was nothing new on there but I thought that the music had changed. Thought I was going nuts for a bit.

Yeah, I loved the old tune. :(

They had better not have completely gotten rid of the old eShop music. That was my favourite of all the Nintendo shop music tracks! (I'm sure that someone has archived it, but still... :( )

It's gone. Sorry. I agree it was the best. But now it is the second best!

It's gone. Sorry. I agree it was the best. But now it is the second best!

squirrel-nooooooo.jpg

WHY NINTENDO WHYYYYYY!? At least make it selectable! (Or a secret hidden song!)

BTW, I swear that this update is taking longer to install than it took to bloody download it! (I hope those install times also get fixed in this update...)

Cool update. Liking the new audio output options and the Wii off-TV play will probably come in handy somehow. Maybe the Direct later will highlight a non-obvious reason why they're doing it?

They should of at least added Gamepad controls for Wii games that don't require motion controls. Nothing retarded about that.

edit -

Oh fuck they could of added Gamepad controls to play your Wii VC collection.

Edited by bryanee

Added settings Nintendo Network ID

The real megaton here. Incoming Miiverse smartphone app? Web Eshop?

Also sets up nicely for 3DS support ;)

Secret megaton!

Wii VC games will no long auto-stretch to widescreen format.

Only how many years late?

Part of the new eShop music sounds like a bit of Choco Island from Super Mario Kart! :yay:

That instantly makes it the best eShop music ever. :bouncy:

0:40 on this vid:

0:07 on this one:

Love it. :love:

Also, @Dcubed, do the new sound output options mean you can now get DPLII to function with Wii U games?

I actually packed away my surround system a few months ago (have been using headphones since then) so can't test it for myself.

HANG ON! HANG ON! You can't use the gamepad to play games that use classic controllers. Oh dear lord how can anyone honk that ISNT retarded? When I heard I thought it was a great feature. Now it's just stupid... Oh well... Better than nothing I guess....

Anyone confirm speed? Can't believe there are no folders. Is it really that hard that Nintendo couldn't implement it from the beginning and still struggling to do so?