N-Europe

New Wii U Update Has Arrived!

Hero-of-Time

HANG ON! HANG ON! You can't use the gamepad to play games that use classic controllers. Oh dear lord how can anyone honk that ISNT retarded? When I heard I thought it was a great feature. Now it's just stupid... Oh well... Better than nothing I guess....

Anyone confirm speed? Can't believe there are no folders. Is it really that hard that Nintendo couldn't implement it from the beginning and still struggling to do so?

Because the only way to do it would require the GamePad to always be registered as player #1 which would cause issues on the games in which a Classic Controller is not playable.

I also doubt that they're "struggling" to do folders. I honestly think that they have chosen not to do it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like they CHOSE not to do it with 3ds but the added it later? Folders will come asits stupid to not to, the only explanation is. They're struggling to do it.

And you can create all the excuses in the world (you probably created excuses why Wii on the gamepad wasn't their initially, but it happened), but it'd doesn't stop it being borderline pointless.

So the BIG summer up day, is actually a bit shit. Why do they hype this stuff up only for it to be a massive disappointment for everyone? Have they added in anything useful? Actually, Wii in Dolby could be good could fix the rockband mic issues. But really, they shouldn't have band on about the update and just released it

WiiU_screenshot_TV_01353_zps7575ce2e.jpg

Yay! 720p screenshot uploads! :D

BTW, The loading speeds are better (both loading a game and going back to the Wii U menu - not by a huge amount, but it is noticeable). Miiverse loading times seem to be the same, but the eShop now loads faster (and features a strange roulette minigame you can play while you wait :blank: )

Wii games on the Gamepad don't look as clear and sharp as you'd expect, no doubt because the Wii, like all non HD devices, uses anamorphic widescreen (which involves stretching a 640 x 480 4x3 image into a 854x480 16x9 format) - which I totally forgot about actually :blush: This means that Wii games look a bit blurry on the Gamepad (though nowhere near as blurry as on a big HDTV of course :p )

Nice to see that they thought about this and ensure that VC games don't get stretched (though I'm not sure if the enforced 4x3 is done by the vWii or the Gamepad itself. The former may result in reduced image quality, as it means that the vWii would be squashing the 640x480 image into a smaller resolution, while the latter would retain the full image quality that you would expect. I don't have any UK VC games to test this with, so I'd appreciate some impressions of how Wii VC games look on the Gamepad in comparison to their native Wii U counterparts!)

BTW, small thing, but they updated the web browser UI a bit (it also supports PDFs and embedded videos without having to make it full screen anymore). It now allows you to copy/paste text while the keyboard is open and doesn't zoom in anymore when you input text (this makes quoting and replying to posts on here much easier for me now! :) )

Also, @Dcubed, do the new sound output options mean you can now get DPLII to function with Wii U games?

I actually packed away my surround system a few months ago (have been using headphones since then) so can't test it for myself.

Good point! I'll have to try that one (I doubt it'll be "real" DPL2, but fakey auto DPL2 should be possible now ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

Like they CHOSE not to do it with 3ds but the added it later? Folders will come asits stupid to not to, the only explanation is. They're struggling to do it.

And you can create all the excuses in the world (you probably created excuses why Wii on the gamepad wasn't their initially, but it happened), but it'd doesn't stop it being borderline pointless.

So the BIG summer up day, is actually a bit shit. Why do they hype this stuff up only for it to be a massive disappointment for everyone? Have they added in anything useful? Actually, Wii in Dolby could be good could fix the rockband mic issues. But really, they shouldn't have band on about the update and just released it

Do you honestly think that they are struggling to make folders? Seriously?

Also, when did they hype it up?

Why do they hype this stuff up only for it to be a massive disappointment for everyone?

They didn't. It hasn't been mentioned since the initial announcement apart from the delay announcement. The main update was the Spring update with additional features and improvements coming in the Summer update. Anything else was made up by the fan base as usual.

The Nintendo Network ID is pretty significant. They might announce new stuff during the Direct today.

Yeah to be fair, services they can still announce, I'm desperate for Nintendo TVii and Gamecube VC games, that could still happen.

Maybe it is fans that have hyped it up, but Nintendo did say there is a summer update, the fact they announced it clearly feeds such hype.

Do you honestly think that they are struggling to make folders? Seriously?

Well I know folders is absolutely logical, they've done it for 3DS too, it WILL happen. So why not now?!

Hey @RedShell I gave it a go...

It doesn't seem to downsample the 5.1 LPCM into a matrixed DPL2 mix, but instead just ouputs 2 channel stereo. So while it won't net you 5 channel DPL2 sound, you can at least use DPL2 to fake 5 channel sound now (as it allows you to send video over HDMI separately from the audio now :) )

Also, interestingly enough, you can also choose to have it output sound over both HDMI AND 2 channel analog at the same time now. I could think of some fun uses for that...

BTW, I've also noticed that the Wii U web browser seems to have a tough time of keeping multiple tabs open now. Before I was usually able to keep all 6 open without problems most of the time, now I'm lucky to keep 2 or 3 open at once...

I wonder if they reduced the amount of RAM that the browser can address (giving some more memory back to the games themselves).

Edit: Ahh. I've heard some impressions on GAF about some VC games looking a bit blurry, so it probably is the vWii that's doing the anamorphic squashing. A pity, because that means that the image quality gets reduced as a result (which is the reason why I was happy that they didn't force 4x3 when running in 16x9 mode originally in the first place :( )

So Wii U VC games will look sharper and clearer on the Gamepad than the Wii VC games will. A pity that Nintendo didn't implement an option to force 4x3 on the Gamepad itself while running Wii games and just have the vWii run everything in 16x9. Wii VC games would've looked much better on the Gamepad that way :( )

Edited by Dcubed

So the speed of the UI now is what we will have to settle with. It wont get any quicker?

It is quicker than before, just not as big a jump as the last update. I see no reason why it can't be reduced further in the future either...

Hey RedShell I gave it a go...

It doesn't seem to downsample the 5.1 LPCM into a matrixed DPL2 mix, but instead just ouputs 2 channel stereo. So while it won't net you 5 channel DPL2 sound, you can at least use DPL2 to fake 5 channel sound now (as it allows you to send video over HDMI separately from the audio now :) )

Also, interestingly enough, you can also choose to have it output sound over both HDMI AND 2 channel analog at the same time now. I could think of some fun uses for that...

BTW, I've also noticed that the Wii U web browser seems to have a tough time of keeping multiple tabs open now. Before I was usually able to keep all 6 open without problems most of the time, now I'm lucky to keep 2 or 3 open at once...

I wonder if they reduced the amount of RAM that the browser can address (giving some more memory back to the games themselves).

Cheers, Dcubed. :)

Interesting observation and theory about the web browser too. icon14.gif

Yeah, the Miiverse could still do with a nice bump in speed.
The activity feed definitely could. The rest of Miiverse is ok speed-wise I reckon.

Loving the new loading screen for Miiverse though. :D

Oh- and Nintendo TVii has music when you click on it now (don't think it did before :hmm:) but yeah, it still doesn't work. :heh:

Okay firstly to slightly involve myself in the whole disapointing update thing, this update was always anounced as a speed boost UI improvment update and everyone looked forward to it for that and the potential accounts changes. so hype was for that, they have delivered that (maybe not the account thing yet lets wait for that) and given us more things we didn't expect (Wii off tv play that pretty much everyman and his dog thought would never happen in any form!), so all in all they've exceeded expectations, the only detracting factor is we kind of wanted folders, which will surely come when we have more games to fill folders no doubt!

anyway

WII OFF TV PLAY :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

holy hell yes! now i can replay skyward sword and mario galaxy while watching tv!

sure its a little annoying they couldn't map gamepad controls to classic controls, but i'm sure they will look at that, or explain why they cannot if they ran into a brick wall

and whats this i can output sound via two methods? so i can have sound via HDMI and out put to av cables......interesting indeed

i can't wait to try them out when i get home......oh but GTAV......shit how do i choose? i need a second tv obviously

It's simply not that fast, loading games (from USB) seems not different, going back to main menu seemed a little quicker, and miiverse, the slowest, most important software seems as slow as ever.

Find the whole thing pretty disappointing, let's hope the direct offers more exciting news.

Yeah, overall it's a nice update. Some much needed fixes (Proper DPL2 support for Wii games, proper 2 channel audio support - allowing DPL2 matrixing for quasi surround sound, dual HDMI & Phono sound output), some nice WTF surprises (Wii Off TV play, eShop overhaul, Miiverse updates, multi NNID device support, auto downloads of demos & free software, Wii Chat updates) and a nice speed boost.

The continued lack of folder support is disappointing (and weird), as is the lack of cross game voice & text chat, but overall it's a pretty good update.

Edited by Dcubed

I actually noticed this last night before the update. The e-Shop icon was flashing so I decided to check it. There was nothing new on there but I thought that the music had changed. Thought I was going nuts for a bit.

Yeah, I loved the old tune. :(

I noticed it flashing too and checked to see no difference... didn't notice the music though :heh:

Anyway, just downloaded it 30mins to DL, 20 to install the DL was shorter than expected but the install was longer :heh:

I only just had a thought, are Nintendo gonna start putting system updates on Game Discs like they did with the Wii?

Anyway not checked everything yet but nice so far.

The Friends List icon added to the GamePad homescreen I like so I can check who is only without needing to press HOME first.

Thought the Nintendo TVii icon might disappear but it's still there taunting me....maybe they might announce something to do with it in the Direct later? Don't see why else they'd keep it there if it'll never be used in Europe.

I noticed the Miiverse has a new loading screen that gives times in various places round the world, nice little touch.

On the loading front, I can notice an increase in load speed for stuff I have downloaded on the consoles memory (not using a HHD yet) but not sure about disc games (though only tried NintendoLad so far as my son wanted to play it after breakfast)

EDIT

HOLY SHIT... Is this new?

Confetti and a new theme tune when going back to "menu"

Only noticed it now when my son finished playing NintendoLand and I closed the software (didn't notice before when testing DL software as was only using the GamePad and volume was off)

I assume it is doing this cause it is my Birthday today... did it always do this on peoples birthdays?

Oh hey! Another small little thing that someone found!

mBpjD4U.jpg

It now gives you more detailed info about things you're downloading (great! That indicator that was there before was totally useless!)

Now just gotta hope that they've improved the time it takes to install something...

I still dont get the fuss about off screen play when you cant play with it using the gamepad. How are you supposed to play it of you dont have one of those stands? Step in the right direction but it would have been good if they allowed you to play the games using the gamepad.