Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

It's a Smash 4 tourny featuring the best 'Smash players', although it's unclear if it's just Melee guys or Brawl guys too. It's being shown LIVE :D At the Nokia theatre lol..Huge audience.

Perfect time to show Pac-man or Mewtwo ;)

Perfect time to show Pac-man or Mewtwo ;)

Good point. Depending on who they invite, I think it might be a good time to show Captain Falcon, because Isai is famous for his incredibly ability to play as Falcon.

But yeah, it would be a great time to make a huge bomb shell :)

Personally I often feel as if I don't really have the enthusiasm to even enter this thread some days, it's not really down to anyone in particular posting either - this is a forum ultimately - but more just the general situation as it's somewhat depressing. :(

For me the Wii U is a good console, I might not be playing it right at this moment but I know that will change by the end of this month, I might then end up going several months before purchasing another retail game for it but I know that once that next 'must-have' games comes out it will be worth the wait. : peace:

It's just a shame that it's the first Nintendo console which really hasn't met everyone's expectations and has since divided opinions quite spectacularly. :blank:

I still have faith in it though - I wouldn't have just purchased a second one for my brother otherwise - so I suppose that's all that really matters, games will come out eventually, I'll no doubt play/enjoy them so it's fine really. ::shrug:

Even though the internet is a blessing - I seriously still very much enjoy reviewing for N-E and interacting with the community at times - it has made me realise that I do miss the simpler times when I'd just play a game and not really 'worry' as such beyond that but these are the times in which we live, so I get the feeling that as much as we embrace it sometimes we'd much rather not face it? :wtf:

Still at least it's not long before we can all 'forget' for a short time and just *race eeeeet!. ;)

*watches over his shoulder for that inevitable blue shell. :indeed:

But it isn't the first time, the n64 was bashed as heavily, the GameCube was, probably more so,the Wii definitely was... History has a habit of rewriting itself and now they're all classic consoles. Same will happen with the Wii u I have no doubt about it!

But it isn't the first time, the n64 was bashed as heavily, the GameCube was, probably more so,the Wii definitely was... History has a habit of rewriting itself and now they're all classic consoles. Same will happen with the Wii u I have no doubt about it!

What I mean is it's the first time that the situation regarding the system has been so dire, Yes systems before have had a few issues with public perception but you were still able to easily find software for the consoles right up until they were 'phased out' by the newer model. Currently it's difficult to buy software off the shelf for the Wii U in big stores - we don't stock anything for Wii U at work (Tesco) any more - plus it's impossible to buy the actual consoles anywhere but Game I'd imagine as other places just seem to be getting rid just when things were about to get good with the release of Mario Kart 8... well they've been getting rid of stock for a while now but you get my point. :(

I agree. I firmly believe that in 5 to 10 years, the Wii U's offerings will be considered classics.

Ah perhaps I'm misunderstood here, the games will surely be regarded as classics, I absolutely agree there... it's just more about how the Wii U has divided opinion immensely, more than the GC or Wii ever did.

---------------------------------------------------------

But I digress, at least there seems to be a little bit more positivity around at the moment so lets just go with that. :D

Mario Kart 8 in just under four weeks! :yay:

What I mean is it's the first time that the situation regarding the system has been so dire, Yes systems before have had a few issues with public perception but you were still able to easily find software for the consoles right up until they were 'phased out' by the newer model. Currently it's difficult to buy software off the shelf for the Wii U in big stores - we don't stock anything for Wii U at work (Tesco) any more - plus it's impossible to buy the actual consoles anywhere but Game I'd imagine as other places just seem to be getting rid just when things were about to get good with the release of Mario Kart 8... well they've been getting rid of stock for a while now but you get my point. :(

Ah perhaps I'm misunderstood here, the games will surely be regarded as classics, I absolutely agree there... it's just more about how the Wii U has divided opinion immensely, more than the GC or Wii ever did.

---------------------------------------------------------

But I digress, at least there seems to be a little bit more positivity around at the moment so lets just go with that. :D

Mario Kart 8 in just under four weeks! :yay:

Yeah that's true, but I think of the n64 and cube was around now they'd have less space as well. I remember what it was like and it was easily as decisive as it is now.wii was an odd one as it had incredible success, but it was still decisive among gamers, and in fact was the point a lot of gamers gave up a little on Nintendo.

But like you say, things are more positive, and signs are looking good for a fantastic e3, I think they can turn this around :)

I agree. I firmly believe that in 5 to 10 years, the Wii U's offerings will be considered classics.

Amongst passionate Nintendo fans, yes. But show Pikmin, NSMBU, Donkey Kong etc to most people and they wouldn't care less.

Like I said before though, I think Nintendo will turn some heads at E3 this year.

Amongst passionate Nintendo fans, yes. But show Pikmin, NSMBU, Donkey Kong etc to most people and they wouldn't care less.

Like I said before though, I think Nintendo will turn some heads at E3 this year.

Could argue the same for multiple Dreamcast titles ;)

Nintendo will undoubtedly win support at E3, but this new rumour being spread around is going to damage things when they don't reveal any new hardware.

Clearly you haven't read this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811543

Many are actually believing it. I've seen people say they're not getting a Wii U on Mario Kart launch now because of it.

Ok well I'm not going to read 35 pages, but oh dear.

Even if there were to be a Wii U successor revealed No.1 priority would have to be to make it compatible with Wii U games, or there'd be an uproar!

I doubt there'd be any new handheld new either as Nintendo really need to focus on turning the Wii U around at E3.

Could argue the same for multiple Dreamcast titles ;)

Nintendo will undoubtedly win support at E3, but this new rumour being spread around is going to damage things when they don't reveal any new hardware.

Dreamcast brought along a lot of really new stuff though, including online and fantastic arcade ports, as well as new franchises. Most of Sega's famous I.P's for Dreamcast were games that didn't even exist on the Genesis (which was made famous due to games like SoR, Shinobi, Golden Axe etc). It had Sonic but it's so revered because it had such a different collection of games. They also nailed sports titles. It's a completely different situation to the Wii U.

Anyway, it's not a surprise to see people saying that they won't buy a Wii U+MK until after E3. It's always a bit silly to buy a console right before E3 imo.

Dreamcast brought along a lot of really new stuff though, including online and fantastic arcade ports, as well as new franchises. Most of Sega's famous I.P's for Dreamcast were games that didn't even exist on the Genesis (which was made famous due to games like SoR, Shinobi, Golden Axe etc). It had Sonic but it's so revered because it had such a different collection of games. They also nailed sports titles. It's a completely different situation to the Wii U.

Anyway, it's not a surprise to see people saying that they won't buy a Wii U+MK until after E3. It's always a bit silly to buy a console right before E3 imo.

Perhaps, but to hold off because of a rumour that IGN don't trust that Nintendo will rush out a home console which would cause their business to collapse? That's just idiotic.

That entire thread, with the people like Tobor saying that it's a "necessary" idea and those who believe it's happening. It just makes me rage.

Edited by Serebii

Perhaps, but to hold off because of a rumour that IGN don't trust that Nintendo will rush out a home console which would cause their business to collapse? That's just idiotic.

It's more a case of 'if they announce a hardware revision, I'm buying that'.

And Nintendo's business wouldn't collapse at all if they announced new hardware. Not only could they easily afford it (they have a lot of money), many retailers and publishers I know would actually prefer it and stock it, should it be popular. 'Business collapsing' is another strong extreme of yours. Although, new hardware will not happen. They can make a lot of money out of Wii U and they have warehouses full of them.

It's more a case of 'if they announce a hardware revision, I'm buying that'.

And Nintendo's business wouldn't collapse at all if they announced new hardware. Not only could they easily afford it (they have a lot of money), many retailers and publishers I know would actually prefer it and stock it, should it be popular. 'Business collapsing' is another strong extreme of yours. Although, new hardware will not happen. They can make a lot of money out of Wii U and they have warehouses full of them.

Saturn -> Dreamcast. It's the same situation. Killing a console early because it's not doing well just to get it successor out.

I love Nintendo and Iwata is my favourite CEO. If a new home console is announced at E3, though, I'd call for his head as he would have essentially killed Nintendo's business.

Saturn -> Dreamcast. It's the same situation. Killing a console early because it's not doing well just to get it successor out.

I love Nintendo and Iwata is my favourite CEO. If a new home console is announced at E3, though, I'd call for his head as he would have essentially killed Nintendo's business.

'Killing a console early'.

Wait, what? The saturn was dead on arrival thanks for many mistakes made by Sega. They waited until 1999 to release the Dreamcast in the West brah. It was never a case of killing it early, it was already dead WAY before the Dreamcast was out. The Dreamcast also had the problem in that it was competing directly against the PS2, whereas Nintendo don't compete against MS/Sony apparently. It's a completely different market place. Also, comparing Sega (who had ZERO cash reserves) to Nintendo is laughable. DC actually sold really well but the problem Sega had was cash reserves...I don't even know why you think it's a comparable situation.

Fuck this. I'm out.

'Killing a console early'.

Wait, what? The saturn was dead on arrival thanks for many mistakes made by Sega. They waited until 1999 to release the Dreamcast in the West brah. It was never a case of killing it early, it was already dead WAY before the Dreamcast was out. The Dreamcast also had the problem in that it was competing directly against the PS2, whereas Nintendo don't compete against MS/Sony apparently. It's a completely different market place. Also, comparing Sega (who had ZERO cash reserves) to Nintendo is laughable. DC actually sold really well but the problem Sega had was cash reserves...I don't even know why you think it's a comparable situation.

Fuck this. I'm out.

Saturn was dire, sales wise, yes. My point is that dropping a console and getting out its successor, such in this case, eroded consumer faith in Sega.

I'm not saying that this would bankrupt Nintendo and cause them to go third party, I'm saying it'd destroy consumer faith in Nintendo and make people far more reluctant to purchase Nintendo hardware in the future.

It's not going to happen. Don't fret.
There is no way you can categorically rule out a revised Wii U happening at E3... A new console yes... but a revised console with more built in storage? (regardless of whether they might also go the step further and make the Gamepad optional).

So I guess I'll start it... who reckons CoD Advanced Warfare will/won't come to the WiiU?

It won't be coming. Isn't it skipping PS3/XBOX360? So that rules an afterthought port for Wii U. From that first screenshot, Wii U can't do that.

I'm not saying that this would bankrupt Nintendo and cause them to go third party, I'm saying it'd destroy consumer faith in Nintendo and make people far more reluctant to purchase Nintendo hardware in the future.
Tbh I don't think enough people even know the Wii U exists to have any real effect on consumer choice whenever the next console gets announced. Those that know about it, know the situation.

There is no way you can categorically rule out a revised Wii U happening at E3... A new console yes... but a revised console with more built in storage? (regardless of whether they might also go the step further and make the Gamepad optional).

I hear it's Serebii confirmed...

Saturn was dire, sales wise, yes. My point is that dropping a console and getting out its successor, such in this case, eroded consumer faith in Sega.

Some would say they've done that with the Wii U. Some even with the Wii. Retailers are dropping the Wii U. Nintendo might not want to drop it but if nobody is selling it in a years time. What do they do then?