Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I switched internet providers today. I was hoping that the switch would improve the wifi on my Wii U. I didn't think it was possible but things are worse than ever. How has everyone else set up their wifi connection? I never had this much trouble with the Wii. Technology is meant to improve with time not regress. What's the best way to set it up?

Who is your new provider?

You can try adding the Wii U to your routers DMZ, this will allow it to bypass any port blocking (or you can open the ports normally).

Otherwise you might have to try using the LAN adapter.

Who is your new provider?

You can try adding the Wii U to your routers DMZ, this will allow it to bypass any port blocking (or you can open the ports normally).

Otherwise you might have to try using the LAN adapter.

It's UPC Horizon. I'm on the Wii U browser now and it takes a couple of seconds before it starts doing anything when you click on anything. Other times it's constant 106-???? errorss. Even now typing this response it's failed to loads symbols. It's a waterfall of question marks in place of what should have loaded. Reading this evening that people have a lot of problems with UPC.

Iwata to redfine Nintendo:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/28/iwata-wants-to-redefine-nintendo

Convinced? Either way its going to be an interesting summer.

Not really. His struggling to get the videogame side of the business in the right state and this to me just seems like an attempt at something else as he has no ideas how to fix the core focus of the company which is videogames.

Iwata to redfine Nintendo:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/28/iwata-wants-to-redefine-nintendo

Convinced? Either way its going to be an interesting summer.

Absolutely. Nintendo and Iwata can do it. They need these extra avenues to support gaming. The only reason PS4 and Xbox One are as they are is because MS & Sony have other avenues to "pick up the slack" so to speak for the first few years of the console. If Xbox was released in a company that only focused on games, that company would have been bankrupt and shut down a year after the Xbox 360 came out.

The recent and continual expansion of Nintendo is also evidence that they can handle it. Those who say they can't support two consoles are also mistaken, as their output in the last 24 months has been as large, if not larger, across both platforms than it ever has been across their two platforms in any 24 month period of their video game tenure.

It's UPC Horizon. I'm on the Wii U browser now and it takes a couple of seconds before it starts doing anything when you click on anything. Other times it's constant 106-???? errorss. Even now typing this response it's failed to loads symbols. It's a waterfall of question marks in place of what should have loaded. Reading this evening that people have a lot of problems with UPC.

I assume you've tried this, but these were on Nintendo's support site:

Manually enter your network IP address and DNS information.

Manually entering your network information into the Wii U console's Internet settings may help you resolve this matchmaking issue. [How to]

Place the Wii U into your router's DMZ (demilitarized zone)*.

Placing the Wii U in your router's DMZ will allow it to bypass your router's firewall and allow you to connect with others. [How to]

*While Nintendo provides this information for our consumers' use, it is up to each consumer to determine what security needs they have for their own networks, and to decide how best to configure their network settings to meet those needs.

Also if you manually enter an IP address, use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I suggest trying this.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying a different wireless router if you can, I'm guessing they provided one for you. Or use the LAN adapter like I suggested before.

You might need to talk to UPC Horizon if none of those work though, sounds like your Wii U is losing connection halfway through loading the page.

Absolutely. Nintendo and Iwata can do it. They need these extra avenues to support gaming. The only reason PS4 and Xbox One are as they are is because MS & Sony have other avenues to "pick up the slack" so to speak for the first few years of the console. If Xbox was released in a company that only focused on games, that company would have been bankrupt and shut down a year after the Xbox 360 came out.

The recent and continual expansion of Nintendo is also evidence that they can handle it. Those who say they can't support two consoles are also mistaken, as their output in the last 24 months has been as large, if not larger, across both platforms than it ever has been across their two platforms in any 24 month period of their video game tenure.

I can understand this, and want to believe it - but can you confirm this with any sort of stats or figures?

I can understand this, and want to believe it - but can you confirm this with any sort of stats or figures?

chart-of-the-day-how-much-money-microsoft-has-lost-on-the-xbox.jpg

And that's just Xbox 360, isn't counting the losses from the original Xbox

And this, though it lacks FY 2012 & 2013

pLeYKZi.jpg

Those losses are not sustainable and would have killed the business if it wasn't for Microsoft having other divisions. They're still very much in the red, cumulatively speaking.

Edited by Serebii

If the Wii U had not bombed would Iwata be pushing QoL?

I dont believe so and I think again its a reactionary decision rather than a pro-active one all to try and appease shareholders after the disastrous Wii U results at the last meeting.

If the Wii U had not bombed would Iwata be pushing QoL?

I dont believe so and I think again its a reactionary decision rather than a pro-active one all to try and appease shareholders after the disastrous Wii U results at the last meeting.

Well of course it's a reactionary decision. Nobody is debating that.

Well of course it's a reactionary decision. Nobody is debating that.

And thats the problem. Iwata for me never seems to do anything which suggests he is aware of what direction the industry is moving in so Nintendo are ahead of the curve.

And thats the problem. Iwata for me never seems to do anything which suggests he is aware of what direction the industry is moving in so Nintendo are ahead of the curve.

Nintendo have never been ones to follow the way the industry goes. They are ones who try to disrupt the industry's paths. With the Wii U, it didn't work. That's all. People such as you just exaggerate the issue.

Iwata's statement here is reactionary because they now know what happens when a console doesn't do well, so they realised they need other avenues to shore the business up in case that happens again.

chart-of-the-day-how-much-money-microsoft-has-lost-on-the-xbox.jpg

And that's just Xbox 360, isn't counting the losses from the original Xbox

And this, though it lacks FY 2012 & 2013

pLeYKZi.jpg

Those losses are not sustainable and would have killed the business if it wasn't for Microsoft having other divisions. They're still very much in the red, cumulatively speaking.

Jesus Christ :o lol

Jesus Christ :o lol

Exactly. So, having other avenues of the company to try and make a profit in addition to that works well. If their next console has horrific losses, it's not as bad on the company. If it does well, as do the other avenues, then the company thrives.

This is especially necessary if Nintendo need to "catch-up" to the others, tech wise, since that's very loss-leading, even though the others are using off the shelf parts.

I thought I was reading an Onion article when he mentioned QoL products. Honestly, Nintendo deserve as much stick as Xbox do; this is right up there with "TV, TV, TV".

This can't be what people actually want. Nintendo need to put their house in order before they divert even more resources to something like this.

I thought I was reading an Onion article when he mentioned QoL products. Honestly, Nintendo deserve as much stick as Xbox do; this is right up there with "TV, TV, TV".

This can't be what people actually want. Nintendo need to put their house in order before they divert even more resources to something like this.

Nintendo has been expanding. They're not diverting resources to it, they're creating resources for it.

Also, you're comparing Nintendo, an overall company, to Xbox, a division of an overall company. That's not a fair comparison.

Nintendo have never been ones to follow the way the industry goes. They are ones who try to disrupt the industry's paths. With the Wii U, it didn't work. That's all. People such as you just exaggerate the issue.

Iwata's statement here is reactionary because they now know what happens when a console doesn't do well, so they realised they need other avenues to shore the business up in case that happens again.

The Gamecube was a failure so they have seen it before.

The DS for example was originally going to be another revenue stream being the the third pillar and it wasnt down the GBA being not successful. With QoL I see an idea simply thrown out there because of the Wii U failure and that concerns me. I just dont think it would be happening if the Wii U was a success.

Do you think a handheld released with 3D was down TV manufactures and Hollywood trying to ram 3D down everyones throat and Iwata tried to jump in on that thinking the glasses were the reason people were not keen on 3D?

Do you think the Wii U gamepad was Iwata trying to make a bridge between tablets and consoles down to the popularity of the Ipad?

They should be expanding in order to help their games division, not this crap.

How isn't my comparison fair? Xbox was rightfully lambasted for not focusing on games, Nintendo should also be lambasted for not focusing on games.

The Gamecube was a failure so they have seen it before.

The DS for example was originally going to be another revenue stream being the the third pillar and it wasnt down the GBA being not successful. With QoL I see an idea simply thrown out there because of the Wii U failure and that concerns me. I just dont think it would be happening if the Wii U was a success.

Do you think a handheld released with 3D was down TV manufactures and Hollywood trying to ram 3D down everyones throat and Iwata tried to jump in on that thinking the glasses were the reason people were not keen on 3D?

Do you think the Wii U gamepad was Iwata trying to make a bridge between tablets and consoles down to the popularity of the Ipad?

The Gamecube may have been a "failure" in terms of sales, sure, but in terms of money? No, as evidence by the chart I posted. This is the first time that a failure has actually fiscally damaged the company which is causing them to react.

They should be expanding in order to help their games division, not this crap.

How isn't my comparison fair? Xbox was rightfully lambasted for not focusing on games, Nintendo should also be lambasted for not focusing on games.

Xbox is a brand. Microsoft were shoehorning TV etc. into their games console.

Nintendo is a company (which does more than video games), and is working on a new additional avenue which doesn't impact, affect or alter things on their games consoles.

You're comparing an overall company to a brand. That's how it's not fair.

Also, Nintendo's expansion includes additions to their gaming part, as well as new resources for their QOL and other avenues.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

The Gamecube may have been a "failure" in terms of sales, sure, but in terms of money? No, as evidence by the chart I posted. This is the first time that a failure has actually fiscally damaged the company which is causing them to react.

That chart isnt evidence as you have to remember Nintendo had the GBA at that time which was a sales beast.

Nintendo's new QOL venture is basically them spinning off their Touch Generations lineup into its own division - allowing them to take advantage of their own custom hardware (or smartphones/tablets and compatibility with their gaming hardware as appropriate).

Did their Touch Generations venture eat into their resources enough to decrease their output of "traditional" games? Nope. Did the success of their Touch Generations line encourage them to abandon game development in favour of focusing on this new line? Nope. So what's the worry then?