NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

God you will defend the indefensible to the death. The Wii U came out 6 years after the other two and is now supposedly inferior to the XBOX360. How shoddy is that?

Did you read the actual quote or did you just look to the headline?

Read it again then come back :)

Did you read the actual quote or did you just look to the headline?

Read it again then come back :)

I'm back.

"we decided to focus solely on the platform closest to the new-gen’s technical infrastructure, which is the Xbox 360".

I'm back.

"we decided to focus solely on the platform closest to the new-gen’s technical infrastructure, which is the Xbox 360".

That doesnt mean power-wise, it means infrastructure. Like how the PS3 uses the cell processor which would make it more work to port while the 360 was always closer to a PC, like the new consoles are.

That doesnt mean power-wise, it means infrastructure. Like how the PS3 uses the cell processor which would make it more work to port while the 360 was always closer to a PC, like the new consoles are.

Why didn't Nintendo consider this when making their console? It seems they only considered what they wanted and to hell with what anybody else wanted.

Why didn't Nintendo consider this when making their console? It seems they only considered what they wanted and to hell with what anybody else wanted.

Thats a completely fair question to be asking and I think thats one of the reasons why their third party support is as poor as it is.

Why? Reggie presides over Nintendo of America. Gamescom is a European event, ergo it falls to Nintendo of Europe.

And yet Iwata is CEO of Nintendo of America.

My girlfriend just raised a hilariously ironic point about the Wii U.

She said 'I love the Wii U because you can play your bloody games without hogging the TV. It's just a shame there's no games for you to play on it and the controller doesn't fit in anywhere'.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with the Gamepad's size. My PS3 controller disappears so easily but the Wii U one sticks out like a sore thumb. I thought it was just me being old, boring and whipped (in the relationship sense).

@Serebii, Iwata is CEO of NoA. Reggie is only responsible for day to day running of the HQ and making low level decisions. He doesn't really have any power. He's essentially a team manager, reporting to a boss who is never there.

My girlfriend just raised a hilariously ironic point about the Wii U.

She said 'I love the Wii U because you can play your bloody games without hogging the TV. It's just a shame there's no games for you to play on it and the controller doesn't fit in anywhere'.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with the Gamepad's size. My PS3 controller disappears so easily but the Wii U one sticks out like a sore thumb. I thought it was just me being old, boring and whipped (in the relationship sense).

Although I agree that the gamepad could be trimmed. You can't praise a controller that is a substitute for a tele and then complain about the size of it at the same time.

What do you want? A PS4 style controller or one where the Mrs/flatmate can watch TV and you play your games on at the same time?

What do you want? A PS4 style controller or one where the Mrs/flatmate can watch TV and you play your games on at the same time?

A PSVita sized controller, maybe ;)

A PSVita sized controller, maybe ;)

Haha I was thinking about that actually. So you buy another piece of expensive hardware for an alternative screen.

Im not supporting either as gaming on the pad isnt a massive thing for me due to my circumstances but I people cant complain about the size of the gamepad but yet at the same time praise the fact you can use it instead of a TV.

Although I agree that the gamepad could be trimmed. You can't praise a controller that is a substitute for a tele and then complain about the size of it at the same time.

I don't mind the size, it's just the awkward build of the whole thing. It doesn't look 'slick', does it. I have my iPad and Macbook on our coffee table but the Gamepad just looks like a kid toy next to them. It reminds me of the original DS, which was so bulky vs the lite.

That said, I think the main point of her comment was the irony in that the controller lets me play games away from the TV but I've nothing to play.

Haha I was thinking about that actually. So you buy another piece of expensive hardware for an alternative screen.

Well, the Gamepad appears to be an expensive piece of hardware, too. It's just not optional ;)

Has the ability down at the bottom of thread pages to see who's viewing the thread been removed? I don't see it anymore.

Has the ability down at the bottom of thread pages to see who's viewing the thread been removed? I don't see it anymore.
It has yes to free up resources I believe. Up to @Shorty when he decides it ok to bring it back.

I firmly believe it's not the place of a platform holder to reveal and go on about third party games as specifically as they have been in recent years. It's the third partys job.

It's amazing you think this; it's nothing short of lunacy to suggest that platform holders don't pay decent lip service to third party titles. COD sells consoles, FIFA sells consoles, Metal Gear Solid sells consoles; it's mutually beneficial for platform holders and third-party publishers to promote together. Wii U is the perfect illustration of how bad things can get if third party titles don't make it onto your platform.

The difficulty for Nintendo is how to balance its needs and those of it's third party 'partners'.

I do agree that there may not be room for a third console, but I don't think Nintendo should be the one to bow out, nor do I believe they will be.

...My money is on Microsoft exiting.

So where do Apple, Google, Steamboxes and Amazon fit into this 2-console race of yours? Personally, I can see Microsoft putting out an additional OS platform for manufacturers - something which has already been announced by Google. That immediately means that we'll see consoles from multiple manufacturers across 4, maybe 5 ecosystems - excluding Nintendo.

I think Sony and Microsoft are both well placed at the high end of the market and could continue to compete in this area together (with Steam), should Apple, Google, Amazon come in they'll likely be in the same low to mid-range market which pitches them against Nintendo. Nintendo do have some key IP assets, there is no disputing that but I'm not sure they're strong enough to counter these behemoths.

So where do Apple, Google, Steamboxes and Amazon fit into this 2-console race of yours? Personally, I can see Microsoft putting out an additional OS platform for manufacturers - something which has already been announced by Google. That immediately means that we'll see consoles from multiple manufacturers across 4, maybe 5 ecosystems - excluding Nintendo.

I think Sony and Microsoft are both well placed at the high end of the market and could continue to compete in this area together (with Steam), should Apple, Google, Amazon come in they'll likely be in the same low to mid-range market which pitches them against Nintendo. Nintendo do have some key IP assets, there is no disputing that but I'm not sure they're strong enough to counter these behemoths.

You raise some good points about others entering the market.

I think it will depend how the industry evolves. One time you knew what you were getting with the next generation of console but now it's just as much about the OS and services as it is about the games. With online gaming and digital products becoming the norm I honestly have no idea what's going to happen when the next set of consoles arrive.

The real off screen gaming solution!

oculusrift1.jpg

I think the Facebook purchase of Oculus killed any future it may have had. Neither Facebook or Oculus have manufacturing facilities and little-to-no experience with dealing manufacturers, they've never sold anything (except Facebook who have successfully sold 1bn souls). All Oculus has done is attract the interest of big players like Samsung and Microsoft. But you were probably just discussing VR in general.

But you were probably just discussing VR in general.

Yeah I was. Although I had read some very positive things people were saying about Oculus lately which I need to try and find again. It just sticks out in my mind because I remember them saying "I guess it wasnt a bad thing Facebook buying them after all"

I think the Facebook purchase of Oculus killed any future it may have had. Neither Facebook or Oculus have manufacturing facilities and little-to-no experience with dealing manufacturers, they've never sold anything (except Facebook who have successfully sold 1bn souls). All Oculus has done is attract the interest of big players like Samsung and Microsoft. But you were probably just discussing VR in general.

I actually think the opposite. I think Facebook's purchase of Oculus validated VR. Google didn't start off as a hardware company but that didn't stop them from releasing phones and the Chomecast, there's no reason why Facebook can't move into hardware. And Facebook have both a lot of money and a lot of sway.

There's a juicy rumour on Gaf saying that Nintendo are working on a remastered game for the Wii U. Let the speculation commence!

I'm gonna say either Metroid Trilogy, Mario Sunshine/Galaxy Collection or F-Zero GX.

There's a juicy rumour on Gaf saying that Nintendo are working on a remastered game for the Wii U. Let the speculation commence!

I'm gonna say either Metroid Trilogy, Mario Sunshine/Galaxy Collection or F-Zero GX.

Metroid Trilogy would be weird as fuck. That's almost like a remaster of a remaster seeing as the first two were on the Cube being the trilogy was on the Wii. :D

If it's F Zero, we can say goodbye to a new one, I reckon. At least we'd have it on the system, but still. Hmm.

Majora's Mask? That's been talked about for ages but that would be a LOT of work to remaster for the WiiU. Plus, two Zelda remakes? Not sure if that's pushing it.

Galaxy...could be. But then, that would mean NSMBWiiU, 3D World AND Galaxy on the system. There would be three Marios, but not a single one with its own identity since the others started on other systems. It needs a Galaxy of its own.

Looking at what I've just typed, F Zero seems like a good shout, tbh. If the rumour is true. Nintendo right now aren't going to make a tighter game with as much content as GX, I don't think they have it in them.

Would they release a remaster of a racing game, in the same year as Mario Kart? F-Zero GX suffered because it was released close to Double Dash..

MP Trilogy? Would be awesome but a remaster of a port..That'd mean Metroid Prime was available on 3 successive Nintendo consoles lol.

That said, with X releasing next year, could it be a remaster of Xenoblade? I guess F-Zero is a possibility but it would seriously needed online too :)