NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Has anyone else experienced severe connection problems on their Wii U?

I don't understand what's going on, truly... I can use the browser just fine, but I can't access Miiverse or eShop ever since I linked the thing to my NNID. It always errors out.

This happened to just about everyone who has linked their NNID but once it successfully connects to the eShop for the first time since linking it should be fine, I forget the specifics but it something to do with syncing of information I think.

Someone else will be able to explain it better than me no doubt but just keep trying is all I can suggest.

They've shut the Wii U servers down. ;)

Even Nintendo get the Wii and Wii U mixed up. :D

'Please understand, normal service will be resumed after an update scheduled for Summer 2014'

:p

During a recent interview with GameSpot, representatives for Square Enix and Airtight Games explained why Murdered: Soul Suspect is 1080p on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and discussed the reasoning behind not releasing the upcoming action game for Nintendo's Wii U.

Explaining the decision to make both the Xbox One and PS4 versions output in 1080p, Airtight Games chief creative officer Matt Brunner said, "We're trying to keep a consistency across all the platforms." Square Enix producer Naoto Sugiyama confirmed that both versions output in native 1080p and are not upscaled to the higher resolution. Presumably, however, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game will output in something less than 1080p.

We also quizzed Brunner about why Murdered: Soul Suspect is not coming to Wii U. According to Brunner, the best Wii U games are the ones designed from the ground up for the system.

"In all honesty, all the Wii U games I've ever played, the only good ones are the ones that are made specifically for [the Wii U]. And this just doesn't fit," Brunner said.

The Wii U also has a small install base, relative to consoles and PC. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have combined for more than 160 million sales to date, while the Xbox One and PS4 together total more than 8.3 million systems sold worldwide so far. As for the Wii U, that system has sold only 5.86 million units as of December 31.

Murdered: Soul Suspect launches this June for consoles and PC. The game is set in Salem, Massachusetts, the location of the Salem witch trials in 1692, which saw public executions of those convicted of witchcraft. The story begins with protagonist Ronan O'Connor's death at the hands of an unknown assailant. He must then interrogate the ghosts of Salem to learn more about his killer.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-talks-1080p-for-murdered-on-xbox-one-ps4-and-why-there-s-no-wii-u-version/1100-6417990/

People's stupidity never fails to amaze me...

So he's basically saying his game is bad and can't compete with the wii u's best?! :D

He's saying the only good games are those designed for the Wii U from the ground up, rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Well, try and differentiate yourself and you have to be prepared for the fact that is just what you might do...

He's saying the only good games are those designed for the Wii U from the ground up, rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

This is the problem, right here.

Most 3rd parties rarely bother making anything even remotely interesting happen on Nintendo platforms... they just re-release old hits from other consoles and then use the obviously low sales as a justification for not investing more in the console and pretty much give up on it.

Not that I mind getting Arkham City/Deus Ex/Mass Effect 3 again, but it obviously isn't ever going to have anywhere near the same amount of pull as a dedicated product constructed specifically for the console.

(btw, "dedicated" excludes those crappy shovelware cash-in attempts we got so many of with the Wii. Nobody wants stuff like those damn Castlevania Judgement/Soulcalibur Legends kind of games and nobody was ever going to want it. Half-assed efforts, you could smell it a mile away!

Either bring something real to the table or you're better off staying at home.)

I don't know why he feels he has to come up with such a ridiculous excuse when it's more than likely down to the fact the console isn't selling and third party games have bombed on the Wii U.

Now as for some third party content made specifically for the Wii U. Nintendo could money hat developers for that.

I don't know why he feels he has to come up with such a ridiculous excuse when it's more than likely down to the fact the console isn't selling and third party games have bombed on the Wii U.

Now as for some third party content made specifically for the Wii U. Nintendo could money hat developers for that.

yeah and combining PS4 & XB1 sales????? Why not say PS4 and Wii U have combined sales of over 10 million and XB1 only has 3 million so we're not making games for XB1.

I totally understand 3rd parties not wanting to take a punt, but using fudged hardware sales as an excuse. Right now Wii U is the biggest selling console of this gen.

yeah and combining PS4 & XB1 sales????? Why not say PS4 and Wii U have combined sales of over 10 million and XB1 only has 3 million so we're not making games for XB1.

I totally understand 3rd parties not wanting to take a punt, but using fudged hardware sales as an excuse. Right now Wii U is the biggest selling console of this gen.

Firstly he didnt make reference to HW sales. The site put that in there.

PS4 has already outsold the Wii U in the space of 3 months and the XB1 isnt that far behind even though the Wii U has been out for over a year. There is nothing fudged about the numbers.

Even so its not just about HW sales but the audience which owns that hardware. The sales of third party games on the wii u suggests the audience just isnt interested in the genre of games third parties have released on the wii u.

Put yourself in the position of those third parties and ask yourself would it be worth the cost developing a Wii U title?

This developer simply gave an answer for PR purposes rather than just saying it doesnt make financial sense.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!! Porting a good game to the wii doesn't make it shit. Batman Arkham City isn't shit, FIFA wasn't shit, Need for speed isn't shit.

Think about it Ashley, how is it possible to say the best games are ones built on the system? That is LITERALLY equal to saying other games aren't as good, and it has nothing to do with porting to the wii u....

Now if he said the only games that SELL, that'd be different. But this comment is the ramblings of a madman.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!! Porting a good game to the wii doesn't make it shit. Batman Arkham City isn't shit, FIFA wasn't shit, Need for speed isn't shit.

Think about it Ashley, how is it possible to say the best games are ones built on the system? That is LITERALLY equal to saying other games aren't as good, and it has nothing to do with porting to the wii u....

Now if he said the only games that SELL, that'd be different. But this comment is the ramblings of a madman.

Simply trying to be polite.

Simply trying to be polite.

Absolutely, coming up with a bullshit reason rather than just speaking the truth. But it's such a stupid thing to say!

Absolutely, coming up with a bullshit reason rather than just speaking the truth. But it's such a stupid thing to say!

True.

I dont understand why he didnt just say 'right now it doesnt make business sense to release the game on the wii u platform'.

I dont see why he would get any heat for saying something like that.

*sigh* I wish Nintendo would have just stuck with the Wiimote for this gen, if it was just going to be a glorified Wii anyway.

I'd love a sequel to Zack & Wiki.

*sigh* I wish Nintendo would have just stuck with the Wiimote for this gen, if it was just going to be a glorified Wii anyway.

Playing DK for a good amount of time with the gamepad hurts my hands. Want to get a pro controller for cheap as gamepad is too big.

Zack and Wiki was amazing! A sequel would work on the gamepad too though I reckon! But wiimote or gamepad, they still wouldn't have put it on the machine. In fact I think ports are probably more likely with the gamepad as it offers the same experience.

Unless you're talking about the wii having many exclusives BECAUSE it offered such a different control scheme.

Unless you're talking about the wii having many exclusives BECAUSE it offered such a different control scheme.
Yeah more this.

I do wonder whether the Wii U would have stood more of a chance with the Wiimote. Because yes 3rd party support was still lacking on the Wii, but it did get good exclusives and ports. It would have been a continuation for developers, who would probably still complain about it being a unique control scheme that needed dedicated time spent on it, but at least they would be used to it. And I think it's easier to think of uses for the Wiimote, it's so much more agile.

Yes games could feel gimmicky, there was waggle, but it was fun at least. I'd take gimmicky games over no games.

Importantly FPS felt unique and an experience you couldn't get elsewhere. Goldeneye 007's controls were superb and so intuitive!

Likewise sports games, Grand Slam Tennis, Tiger Woods.

Even if Nintendo come up with experiences for the Gamepad you can't get elsewhere, it still wouldn't match entire genres that play differently.

And so much untapped potential with Nintendo themselves on the console we never got to see, with Mario Tennis, Golf, Wii Sports 2, Luigi's Mansion, straightforward sequels to Excitetruck, Punch-Out.

Ah well.

Porting a good game to the Wii U requires compromises (due to the hardware amongst other things) that can result in weaker products and yeah, most are shit because developers don't try.

The best selling and top rated games are primarily designed for the console (http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/index.html and http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/47/wii-u/). I don't see why it's so difficult to understand. Yeah, it was a polite way of saying "we don't see the business value of porting games", but there's some truth in the matter.

And I think anyone that uses bursts of caps locks shouldn't be calling others mad :heh:

RETRO STUDIOS CALLS WII U A “POWERHOUSE” AND CONFIRMS NEW GAME IN DEVELOPMENT

Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh says that developers shouldn’t ignore the Wii U and says it’s more than adequate to make great games on. Kelbaugh then went onto confirm that they are hard at work on a new game, but wouldn’t divulge anymore information.

“Unfortunately, the perception is that it’s not a very powerful machine,” Kelbaugh said about the Wii U. “That’s just not true. It’s a powerhouse. It’s more than adequate to make great games on.”

“It was really fun being able to crack that open for the first time and learning HD techniques; pixel shading, having a lot more horsepower and how that impacts the team. It was really fun to watch our artists just go crazy because now they didn’t really have to worry about polygons anymore. ‘Make as many as you want!’”

Also in our interview, veteran Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe confirmed that Retro Studios is working on a new game, but he would not say anything more than that. This game has been in development for a few months now, as Retro wrapped work on Tropical Freeze in November and hasn’t been sitting by idly, Kelbaugh assured us.

“We love working with Donkey Kong. It’s a great character. It’s a lot of fun. We love working with Metroid Prime, with Mario Kart; those are fun, fun games to work on. So, you know, you can’t lose,” he said. “Every one of those IPs have been a lot of fun to play with and work on and [we'd] love to come back to them sometime.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/02/28/retro-studios-calls-wii-u-a-powerhouse-and-confirms-new-game-in-development/

Good to know. My money's on Metroid but you never know and if it is I'll be asking why now and well because this was needed before DK.

Edited by Wii

I think something new would be cool, or a retro revival.