NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I remember Ashley saying he didn't dislike the idea that this could become a multiformat website...perhaps one day. How funny it would be if Ronnie's post was the impetus for this change. :heh:

I remember Ashley saying he didn't dislike the idea that this could become a multiformat website...perhaps one day. How funny it would be if Ronnie's post was the impetus for this change. :heh:

Yeah, I remember that. It was when we were discussing just how many PS4 owners are now on the message boards. Would be interesting to do a head count...

Honestly. Yup I think it will still be discussed and remembered.

I'll have a word with Ashley and see what we can do. :D Would you still stick arfound if the site suddenly became called IndieStation Europe?

Corrected that for you.

I'd definitely stop coming here if this became PS/Multi platform site. I post in the Xbox One thread as I have one, but I'm mainly here and only joined because it's Nintendo based, and that's where my gaming passion lies. If that was taken away and it stopped other Nintendo gamers joining, I'd probably go to Nintendo Life or something to converse with like minded people :) saying that, it may get more people involved so lose one/gain one hundred ;)

It kind of is already. but the nintendo board is way busier than the other boards still isn't it? I'd probably leave, depends how the user base went. But I think smaller communities for shared passions is a good thing. Making things broad and bigger would reduce that.

I remember when this place used to be nice. There's so so much fighting now. Ugh Oh well. Anyways, can't wait for Splatoon next month. Better get Skype set up!

I remember when this place used to be nice. There's so so much fighting now. Ugh Oh well. Anyways, can't wait for Splatoon next month. Better get Skype set up!

Coincided with the Wii U though no? Ain't no coincidence.

I'd definitely stop coming here if this became PS/Multi platform site. I post in the Xbox One thread as I have one, but I'm mainly here and only joined because it's Nintendo based, and that's where my gaming passion lies. If that was taken away and it stopped other Nintendo gamers joining, I'd probably go to Nintendo Life or something to converse with like minded people :) saying that, it may get more people involved so lose one/gain one hundred ;)

Interesting.

How would a name change or banner effect your banter on the forums? Surely it would just be the same as it is now?

It kind of is already. but the nintendo board is way busier than the other boards still isn't it? I'd probably leave, depends how the user base went. But I think smaller communities for shared passions is a good thing. Making things broad and bigger would reduce that.

The Nintendo boards are busy when there is a Direct or when people are arguing. Other than that it's pretty quiet.

In the past month we've had Mario vs Donkey Kong, Mario Party, N64 and DS VC games and a couple of decent indie titles. None of these have stoked the fires of conversation in their topics because most people on here aren't interested in them. In comparison you have topics in the other console board like DriveClub and Bloodborne being very active because people on here are sting those games.

This place is still nice. Things just get ugly when certain members come out to play.

positive or negative? who cares.

It's an internet message board and should generate different opinions.

Coincided with the Wii U though no? Ain't no coincidence.

Pretty sure it happened in the Wii days as well, it was just motion controls and SD vs HD then instead of online infrastructure and useless peripherals now.

I had a PM the other day from a well known poster who barely posts anymore, if at all. Big Ninty fan, claiming the anti-Nintendo chat is just too off-putting. Makes me wonder how many other fans have been forced out.

The Nintendo boards are busy when there is a Direct or when people are arguing. Other than that it's pretty quiet.

In the past month we've had Mario vs Donkey Kong, Mario Party, N64 and DS VC games and a couple of decent indie titles. None of these have stoked the fires of conversation in their topics because most people on here aren't interested in them. In comparison you have topics in the other console board like DriveClub and Bloodborne being very active because people on here are sting those games.

This place is still nice. Things just get ugly when certain members come out to play.

Don't agree at all. Ashley will know more but I'd be pretty confident that more posts are on the Nintendo board still. And you mention those games but not Splatoon, a game that isn;t out yet but already has more posts than the whole of page 1 on the other boards bar Destroy and GTA V?! Even the bottom post is 30th March for Wii U and 9th march for other boards!! Never mind the fact they cover more than one console.

But it's not a competition anyway, it still feels like a Nintendo board to me. Though sometimes only just.

I had a PM the other day from a well known poster who barely posts anymore, if at all. Big Ninty fan, claiming the anti-Nintendo chat is just too off-putting. Makes me wonder how many other fans have been forced out.

Swings and roundabouts. I myself stopped posting for a couple of months because I was sick of how defensive people got on here. It halted reasonable conversations and turned them into arguments.

Don't agree at all. Ashley will know more but I'd be pretty confident that more posts are on the Nintendo board still. And you mention those games but not Splatoon, a game that isn;t out yet but already has more posts than the whole of page 1 on the other boards bar Destroy and GTA V?! Even the bottom post is 30th March for Wii U and 9th march for other boards!! Never mind the fact they cover more than one console.

How many of those posts in Splatoon are people arguing rather than just talking about the game? I bet its a large portion of them. The same goes for the post counts in this very thread.

How many of those posts in Splatoon are people arguing rather than just talking about the game? I bet its a large portion of them. The same goes for the post counts in this very thread.

You can say that about any thread. How many post in the Destiny thread are bitching about how shit it is, or how grind it is, or whatever that many many people complained about. Discussion is discussion. Didn't know we'd suddenly started talking about how positive we are about a certain console. I thought it was about where the main discussion and activity it is, and still easily Nintendo...

We really can argue about anything in here :D

I just want to chat about how excited I am for Kirby, new amiibo, splatoon and what wonders E3 could bring us!

I just want to chat about how excited I am for Kirby, new amiibo, splatoon and what wonders E3 could bring us!

So do I and probably others do as well. However, I would also like to able to discuss the negatives without people becoming all defensive.

So do I and probably others do as well. However, I would also like to able to discuss the negatives without people becoming all defensive.

But do you not see how the negative chat has taken over every thread? People complaining about this or that.

But do you not see how the negative chat has taken over every thread?

That chat is fine until people start becoming defensive, that's when things spiral out of control. People can easily have a decent discussion about negative things without being all snarky and turning on the fanboy blinkers.

You can say that about any thread. How many post in the Destiny thread are bitching about how shit it is, or how grind it is, or whatever that many many people complained about. Discussion is discussion.

I'd wager that's quite a small proportion. I'd say 85%+ is people matchmaking, or talking about how raids/nightfalls went and what they got.

If this was what proportion of your posts in the other consoles forum are bitching, I'd agree that it'd be much higher.

But do you not see how the negative chat has taken over every thread? People complaining about this or that.

Oh the irony.

On the negativity:

It's one thing to be negative, but it's another to hinder discussion. A great example of that is Radio Free Nintendo; the epsiode where they discussed the December NPD sales for 2013 was very negative (obviously) but it was the best 90 minutes of podcast I've ever listened to.

On people leaving because it's too anti-Nintendo:

Several Nintendo fanboys have stopped me from starting threads or even posting, and I bloody love Nintendo. Hero left the board for a while and @Zell barely ever posts on here anymore. Heck, the meet up in London last year was incredible but most of those people are relunctant to post because of how defensive certain people get.

td;lr. If you're incapable of having a discussion on a negative topic without getting defensive, then maybe a forum isn't for you.

Essentially yes I'd be happy for there to be sister sites under one larger network, but its the resourcing that's stopping that from happening.

We get PMs like that about all sorts of people and we try to address them, but it's a difficult balance to find. We can't outright ban straight away if someone complains, but nor do we want it to appear that we're taking no action.

And any action we do take gets criticised one way or another ("you're being too anti-Nintendo" or "you're not allowing people to have different opinions!") It comes with the territory obviously, but please don't think because you got one PM from one person it means the whole world is in 'your corner'.

We obviously never want to lose members and we welcome suggestions on how to make things better, but usually it boils down to a clash of personalities and besides swinging the banhammer with Timmy Mallet veal, there's not much we can do about that.

Anywho... I noticed that Wii didn't put this article up that came out shortly before "Venture Beats'" one did.

Wii U: the 16 games that show Nintendo's machine is no failure

It’s fair to say that the Wii U has not performed quite as well as Nintendo probably expected when the new machine was revealed with great ceremony in June 2011. Consumers were immediately confused about what it actually was. Is it a Wii add-on? Is it a tablet? Why does it look like a miniature Fisher Price television set? Three years later, the console is floundering on around 10m sales while generational rivals PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have shot past with nary a backward glance.

Despite it all, Wii U has enjoyed a constant stream (okay, maybe a constant trickle) of truly excellent and individual gaming experiences – it is still a Nintendo machine after all. Now priced at around £180, well over £100 cheaper than its rivals, it remains a great little games machine that deserves to be appreciated for its own idiosyncratic charms. Here are 16 reasons why.

Affordable Space Adventures

Created by Danish studio KnapNok Games, this fascinating sc-fi exploration puzzler is being hailed as the GamePad killer app that should have launched the console. Players control a battered spacecraft stranded on an unknown planet, and must search for a way to escape. While the TV display shows the environment, the GamePad screen has all of the ship’s systems, so you have to use both in unison. The seamlessness of this UI is perfect, and the game really grips as an elusive, slowly unwinding experience.

Bayonetta 2

Platinum Games could well be the most consistently brilliant studio working in Japan right now, and this beautiful brawler is its masterpiece. Huge bosses, ridiculous combos and one of the great video game protagonists all combine into an explosion of colour, ideas and attitude.

Fatal Frame (working title)

Ubisoft’s Zombi-U was a chilling zombie horror adventure with a neat permadeath mechanic, but it was also scrappy and flawed. So we were thrilled when Nintendo announced that it would be bringing the latest title in the long-running Fatal Frame series of supernatural thriller titles to Europe later this year. Released in Japan last September, it’s another haunted house exploration shocker, with the GamePad acting as a camera that can both spot and trap the scary spooks. If the conversion is skilfully handled this will be a must for survival horror fanatics.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Ten years on from the release of the GameCube original, this Wii U update refreshes the visuals, tweaks some elements, but mostly makes one of the most intriguing and unusual titles in the Zelda series available to a whole new audience. Sheer magic.

Legend of Zelda (working title)

Announced in January 2013 and only teased at since, the next big title in this vital action-RPG series will be an important milestone for the Wii U. From the little that producer Eiji Aonuma has given away, it seems this instalment will be much more open and freely explorable than its predecessors, with plenty of side-quests and a mission structure that allows players to dip in and out in short sessions. The visuals, meanwhile, bring to mind the anime of Studio Ghibli, with verdant rural scenes and slightly hazy colours. There are also intriguing hints of a multiplayer component – though we’ll have to wait until 2016 to discover any of this for ourselves.

Lego City: Undercover

A big silly open-world adventure, set in a city full of side quests and neat little challenges, Undercover follows the misadventures of inept cop Chase McCain as he attempts to shut down a major crime wave. Hugely overlooked on release, it’s genuinely funny, challenging and engrossing. Basically the Grand Theft Auto you can play with your kids.

Mario Kart 8

Nintendo’s karting series has always been about intuitive controls, imaginative circuit design and thrilling multiplayer competition, and the Wii U instalment has all of that in abundance. Adding a modest selection of well-judged gameplay extras (including the crucial super horn – don’t ask, you’ll figure it out), this is an exuberant and joyous racer that grows with you and your family as your skills improve.

Mario Maker

After the impressive but rather complicated WarioWare DIY on the DS, Nintendo is returning to creativity tools with this 2D platformer design package which lets you create your own Super Mario levels then share them online. Fans can choose between classic and modern graphical styles and all the hallmarks of the series are available to play around with. It’s out this September and people are already calling it Wii U’s answer to Minecraft.

Pullblox World

Originally devised for the 3DS by Fire Emblem creator Intelligent Systems, this compulsive puzzle series has players rearranging a sort of climbing frame-like tower of blocks in order to reach stranded children. The Wii U version loses the stereoscopic kink of the handheld versions, but it’s just as compelling, offering hundreds of brain-teasing spatial/topological challenges.

Shovel Knight

Created by tiny Californian studio Yacht Club Games, Shovel Knight is a gloriously chunky love letter to the great 8- and 16bit scrolling platform adventures like MegaMan and Aladdin. Your quest is to travel across a bright, pixellated land, battling enemies, digging for treasure and finally facing the wrath of the evil enchantress. It oozes nostalgic appeal but there are enough new features and ideas to enchant younger players.

Splatoon

If anyone was ever going to make a family-friendly multiplayer shooter, it was going to be Nintendo. Here, two teams of players armed with paint guns must compete to spray more of the map than their competitors. Due out in May, Splatoon has all the conventions of the genre nailed – including familiar game modes and weapon types – but it’s all in a brash, friendly game world.

Star Fox (working title)

Revealed by Shigeru Miyamoto himself at E3 2014 (alongside two apparently connected prototypes: Project Giant Robot and Project Guard), the latest in the beloved Star Fox series promises to fully update the flight shooter recipe, this time using the GamePad as a cockpit display, allowing the player to control their craft via the controller’s accelerometers. Little else is known just yet, but a playable demo is set to be revealed at this year’s E3 event.

Super Mario 3D World

Every Super Mario platform game ever made is a must for players interested in understanding the genius of Nintendo’s approach to design. And while it’s possible that the Galaxy titles are the zenith of the series in terms of sheer unbridled creativity, Super Mario 3D World is certainly up there – a mesmerising kaleidoscope of ideas and challenges that turn the Mushroom Kingdom on its head.

Super Smash Bros

Got friends or family around? Feel like beating them all up? Boy, has Nintendo got the game for you. The latest Super Smash Bros is a loud, feisty multiplayer fight club with a vast armoury of insane attacks and more special effects than a Michael Bay trilogy. The cast is fabulous, too, so everyone gets to play as their favourite Nintendo character, and as you all improve, the game has more than enough depth to step up. Smashing.

Wonderful 101

Platinum Games again, but this time on more jovial form, with Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta) and Atsushi Inaba (Viewtiful Joe) working together to produce a really quirky action strategy title. Aliens have invaded Earth and only a team of superheroes capable of morphing into co-operative mega-weapons can defeat them. Chaotic and sometimes confusing, this is a singular challenge, erupting with life and humour.

Yoshi’s Woolly World

The spiritual successor to Wii hit Kirby’s Epic Yarn, this is another ludicrously cute, handicraft platformer, packed with gorgeous fluffy textile visuals and loveable puzzle-filled environments. Yoshi can use his long tongue to grab and swallow enemies, thereby producing balls of yarn which are used to tie up foes or access new areas. Due out later this year, the two-player co-op mode alone will make it worth the wait.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/06/nintendo-wii-u-16-games

Anywho... I noticed that Wii didn't put this article up that came out shortly before "Venture Beats'" one did.

Do you need to attack Wii like that? He is under no obligation to post every article. It could just be that he didn't actually see it.

I think people get defensive because they love Nintendo. I don't think they should be made to feel that they're doing anything wrong. It's a perfectly fine viewpoint to take. As is being unhappy with Nintendo's current state. People can hold opposite opinions and have a respectful discussion. But can people not see how suggestions this place would be better off as a multi-platform site, and other comments I've seen suggesting things like PS4 gamers are more open-minded and mature, could make people who are here just because they really really like Nintendo feel? It could make people feel marginalised in their own community.

The main problem as I see it is that these arguments get way too personal and emotional. That's what causes the nasty feeling. It's hard to get a balance without people feeling like they're being censored, but there needs to be a bit more respect round these parts, I think.

Though I do think my gaming tastes have changed, well, no, actually I've stopped buying every game imaginable and not playing any of them. And decided to just play the games I really want, and it turns out the games I really want to play are nintendo games.

BUT, the PS4 is still worse than I imagined it was even when I was dubious about it. I still love(d) Fifa, and Batman is out soon, but ultimately a huge disappointment.

Regarding your disappointment with the PS4, your gaming preferences sound a little similar to mine, though probably not entirely :heh:

I've never once considered a PS4 or XBOX One to sit alongside my Wii U for a variety of reasons. There's the point you mentioned that the games you like are mainly on Nintendo platforms, a boat I'm very much in, and also the desire to enjoy the games that I have instead of going crazy and buying everything under the sun and never getting around to playing anything properly.

2015 has been great for me so far, catching up on lots of older games whilst injecting some new experiences here and there. The only Wii U games I've really played this year have been Mario Kart 8 and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.. and you know what? It's been enough for me :smile: I can more than understand it not being enough for plenty of others, but for my needs it has been pretty great :grin:

With that in mind, I reckon I'd probably be where you are if I had got a PS4 in that I wouldn't appreciate it as much as others. I've never had the sort of attachment to other consoles as I do with Nintendo. I wouldn't consider that me being a 'fanboy', or whatever.. it's just how I roll :cool:

I bought an XBOX 360 last generation because there was a part of me that felt I was probably missing out on some great HD games and experiences by only have the vastly different Wii. As it turned out, the reality was that I ended up appreciating my Wii even more and the XBOX 360 was sold less than a year later because I just didn't want it!

I'm sure you'll eventually get some PS4 games that you appreciate, just as I did when I finally embraced my brother's old PS3 a couple of years ago, but you may just have to accept that you may never capture that magic you feel with Nintendo. It's your one true love :love:

The Nintendo fanboys remind me of One Direction fangirls. They just can't comprehend that people have different opinions, and think what they're doing is rubbish. ;)

Just for the record I'm very happy with my Wii U. :)