NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I have a silly first-world gaming dilemma I would like to present to you guys:

It's very simple.

My backlog (defined here as games that I want to buy but do not yet own) stretches from my place to Kyoto and given that I do not have a steady income I have had trouble keeping up with all the new releases over the last few years basically.

Lately I rearranged my backlog list and have highlighted some games that I want to prioritize in buying.

Now I still have some really good games on my shelf for my Wiiu, 3DS and DS that need playing and finishing, but when it comes to buying a juicy new release from time to time I'm painfully behind.

I am now thinking of buying one of two of my prioritized games:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

or

Super Smash Bros. for WiiU

There are times when I hear about A link Between Worlds and remember that I have played practically all Zelda games and I am a big Zelda fan.....yet I don't have this game....:o

Then there are times when I hear about Smash Bros. and I think to myself if there is one piece of software every WiiU owner should have it is probably this title, and yet I don't have it....

So there are surges in my emotions in which I am dying to play one of the two, but I cannot make up my mind which one to buy first and dig in to.

As a BIG fan of both series, I cannot justify being behind on them :laughing:

Any suggestions, Ladies?

I'd also throw in for ALBW. Without a local ability and setup for Smash, it fumbles a bit(the single player is ok, and there's definitely content there, but something is lacking of it for me) - IF you can get a 3rd party adapter AND friends round, or a cracking lot of online with people, then I'd say Smash. Online isn't imo as good as you'd hope it to be though - again just due to infrastructure I think people are less inclined to jump on it as much, though in terms of lag I've personally had very little with friends - but I also had little problems with Brawl.

ALBW may keep you for longer, or at least feel like it, given it's a game and story etcetc. It's not without flaws, but that's due to its approach/structure and overall it's a cracking game. If you're a big Zelda fan, especially of LttP, I think you have to play it. I say that with one caveat - I never finished it, think I had finaly castle/final boss to go essentially then any collectibles I didn't have, but my shoulder button was broken and I said to myself I'd finish post-repair, and I still haven't. Difficulty level is variable - mostly I found it ok but not a great challenge, but even so I really enjoyed its content and the free-er structure it had.

Thanks for the input, chaps.

I will most likely purchase ALBW after finishing Fire Emblem: Awakening and some other games that still need finishing.

Yet I get all itchy-squitchy at the prospect of playing a fresh new Zelda game.

I don't own ALBW nor a 3DS for that matter but you can't go wrong with a Zelda game(bar Skyward Sword). I don't know what it is but I'm not mad on Smash Bros. Wii U. I must check to see how much I've played it but it must be under 30 hours.

Edit: 22 hours.

MK8 by comparison has over 300 hours.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

MK8 by comparison has over 300 hours.

That's basically about an hour a day since the game was released last May. That's insane :eek: How on earth do you find the time to play anything else..? ::shrug:

I've invested close to 60 hours into Mario Kart 8 in that time, something which will continue to rise thanks to the league and the new DLC in May, but it will never hit those sorts of numbers! That total is already MASSIVE for me :heh:

my Wii U says 130 for mario kart, 60 for smash bros, but the majority of the smash bros is because my nephews love it, though that has only made me loathe it, because I know how much I loved melee and to a lesser extent brawl and WANT to love this game as much, I just can't. I think the fact it lacks a comprehensive single player mode is a real barrier to me wanting to invest time in it. For my nephews they've never really played the previous two titles so I imagine the newness means it feels to them as the previous iterations felt for me.

Still.. I like it little enough that I have encouraged them to play other games, my youngest asked specifically for smash just yesterday, it never got to see the Wii U, instead Lego City took its place.

That's basically about an hour a day since the game was released last May. That's insane :eek: How on earth do you find the time to play anything else..? ::shrug:

I've invested close to 60 hours into Mario Kart 8 in that time, something which will continue to rise thanks to the league and the new DLC in May, but it will never hit those sorts of numbers! That total is already MASSIVE for me :heh:

I don't know how it's 300 hours playtime because there was massive periods where I didn't play it at all bar the hour or so a week for the league. I have found myself playing it recently at the weekends, performing well but it still remains a lottery. I came across a person on 50,000 points and then another person on the max 99,999 points. So God knows how many hours they've played. For the record I'm under 9,000 points.

Unity 5 Supports 21 Platforms Including Wii U

Great news for both developers and consumers as Unity 5 will be supported by a massive twenty one platforms including the Wii U. The next version of the 3D game engine and editor is available now and CEO John Riccitiello says that Unity 5 is a “graphics powerhouse.” You can judge that for yourself from the impressive video embedded above.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/03/unity-5-supports-21-platforms-including-wii-u/

Great! Now we just need 3rd parties to use it.

A bit of further info on nintendoeverything.com

unity-wii-u.png

Update: Interestingly, Unity 5 isn’t available for Wii U just yet. We’re not quite sure why. Unity told one developer: “We don’t have any information on a release time frame right now.” Stay tuned!

http://nintendoeverything.com/newly-released-unity-5-will-support-wii-u/

More videos here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/03/unity_5_development_engine_launches_includes_wii_u_support

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

<3 Unity

Keep meaning to check out more features of whats in 5 and you know...use it more.

Square Enix Creates Survey To Shape Future Of Company But Neglects To Mention Wii U And Nintendo 3DS

cp70fnq.png

Want to help shape the future of Square Enix? If you do there’s a lovely survey to fill in. The survey asks gamers which platforms they own, but they neglect to mention the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Instead there’s just Wii and Nintendo DS. The best part of the survey is the part when they ask which one game you’d love the company to make. Make your voice is heard and suggest something truly great.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/07/square-enix-creates-survey-to-shape-future-of-company-but-neglects-to-mention-wii-u-and-nintendo-3ds/

Fish%20Slap

OK, I understand the WiiU, but the 3DS? Really!?

What the hell have I been playing Theatrhythm and Bravely Default on then!?

Looks like Next Level Games are working on a Wii U title...

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/248644-next-level-games-working-on-wii-u-project

We are about due to see their next project by now. Come E3 this year, it would've been more than 2 years since Luigi's Mansion 2 came out...

Hope it's something new from them, rather than a sequel, but I have to admit that I am itching for a new Mario Strikers ;)

Looks like Next Level Games are working on a Wii U title...

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/248644-next-level-games-working-on-wii-u-project

We are about due to see their next project by now. Come E3 this year, it would've been more than 2 years since Luigi's Mansion 2 came out...

Hope it's something new from them, rather than a sequel, but I have to admit that I am itching for a new Mario Strikers ;)

I think me and the Wii U need it to be a new Mario Strikers :yay:

I got a pro-controller last week while I wait for my GamePad to get fixed (it came with a bullet bill tshirt, how could I refuse) and oh man, I can't believe I didn't get one sooner, it's so comfortable and makes playing Mario Kart/Smash much more enjoyable.

One thing I have noticed though is that, whilst also being more comfortable, I haven't noticed the lack of GamePad screen at all. Only when going onto miiverse and I quite easily pounded out a message with the Wii Remote. If it wasn't for the fact I play party games a lot when people come over I wouldn't bother fixing it, because outside of party games the gamepad screen is useless and unecessary.

It's an old debate so I don't want to dig up old grudges but I do wish that Nintendo had released the Wii U with a Pro Controller and Wii Remote and either released at a much lower price or had a more powerful machine. Oh well.

It brings me onto my main point though - What do you think will happen with the next console controller wise? Will the mass selection of Wii controllers continue, with the GamePad and Pro Controller with them? A new and improved GamePad? Or a whole new gimmick controller? OR a new, totally normal controller?

I got a pro-controller last week while I wait for my GamePad to get fixed (it came with a bullet bill tshirt, how could I refuse) and oh man, I can't believe I didn't get one sooner, it's so comfortable and makes playing Mario Kart/Smash much more enjoyable.

One thing I have noticed though is that, whilst also being more comfortable, I haven't noticed the lack of GamePad screen at all. Only when going onto miiverse and I quite easily pounded out a message with the Wii Remote. If it wasn't for the fact I play party games a lot when people come over I wouldn't bother fixing it, because outside of party games the gamepad screen is useless and unecessary.

It's an old debate so I don't want to dig up old grudges but I do wish that Nintendo had released the Wii U with a Pro Controller and Wii Remote and either released at a much lower price or had a more powerful machine. Oh well.

It brings me onto my main point though - What do you think will happen with the next console controller wise? Will the mass selection of Wii controllers continue, with the GamePad and Pro Controller with them? A new and improved GamePad? Or a whole new gimmick controller? OR a new, totally normal controller?

Knowing Iwata it will be another gimmick but I hope they just go with a standard controller.

Enough consoles are sold from competitors which shows gamers are very happy with a standard pad.

I loved the wii but many a time I wish I could just use a standard controller.

The idea that somehow navigating menus is clunky with a pad compared to a touchscreen gamepad holds no weight with me.

If Nintendo do decide to go with a gimmick controller it won't be nothing like the gamepad. Not a chance they sink money into a pit like that again.

They won't have a controller driving up production costs so much next time.

Knowing Iwata it will be another gimmick but I hope they just go with a standard controller.

Enough consoles are sold from competitors which shows gamers are very happy with a standard pad.

I loved the wii but many a time I wish I could just use a standard controller.

The idea that somehow navigating menus is clunky with a pad compared to a touchscreen gamepad holds no weight with me.

If Nintendo do decide to go with a gimmick controller it won't be nothing like the gamepad. Not a chance they sink money into a pit like that again.

They won't have a controller driving up production costs so much next time.

The closest I can imagine is limited support for using their hand held ( a bit like smash does allowing the 3ds to be used as a controller).

For me, there's way too many controller options across the Wii and Wii U and the support for each is so fragmented that it must be a nightmare for the average consumer. The Wii U Gamepad is a decent controller, but I am petrified at the thought of ever having to replace it one day.

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo should wipe the slate clean and produce a new standard controller for use across all their games on the next platform, whether it be an upgraded GC/Pro Controller or an improved Remote and Nunchuk. In fact, a hybrid of both to cover all bases would be ideal :smile:

For the last decade, we've been bombarded with the supposed importance of a second screen in gaming by Nintendo, across the handhelds and at home with Wii U. All we need is one screen, one controller and then let the quality of the software do the talking!

I say just bury all old remotes in a hole and start afresh, with a new, traditional pad - and a brand new OS which isn't 'gimped' to cater for backward compatibility.

Like Liger said, I think gamers are very much content with the traditional set-up, there's no need for the new way to play gimmicks. Focus money and attention on where it counts: Third party contracts, console infrastructure and more first party teams.

Its as clear as day now IMO. Interested in Nintendo's next move.

I'd like thank posts and chime in about what Nintendo's next console should be like but in all honesty, I don't have faith in them to make a competitive console. The WiiU and their attitude towards the evolving markethas completely made me lose faith in the company.

I want them to go 3rd Party, without having any console exclusives... unless they went 2nd Party of course.

NINTENDO should just continue to do what they do best: invent crazy shit which has you experience gaming in a new way whilst also providing a core same-as-it-always-has-been safe sphere for people who are afraid to step out of their comfort zones.

"People who are afraid to step outside of their comfort zones" sounds like a description of Nintendo themselves...:yay:

(emoticon unrelated, just not seen it in a while)

"People who are afraid to step outside of their comfort zones" sounds like a description of Nintendo themselves...:yay:

(emoticon unrelated, just not seen it in a while)

Then they should pull an ol' switcharoo and have all of us be employees at NINTENDO for a while and have them fill up this forum :laughing:

IGN lists their top 25 games on the Wii U.

25. The Wonderful 101

24. ZombiU

23. Disney Infinity

22. Child of Light

21. Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed

20. Guacamelee!

19. Steamworld Dig

18. Hyrule Warriors

17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

16, New Super Luigi U

15. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

14. Batman: Arkham City

13. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

12. Lego City: Undercover

11. Rayman Legends

10. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

09. New Super Mario Bros. U

08. NES Remix 1&2

07. Bayonetta 2

06. Shovel Knight

05. Pikmin 3

04. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

03. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

02. Super Mario 3D World

01. Mario Kart 8

IGN lists their top 25 games on the Wii U.

25. The Wonderful 101

24. ZombiU

23. Disney Infinity

22. Child of Light

21. Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed

20. Guacamelee!

19. Steamworld Dig

18. Hyrule Warriors

17. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

16, New Super Luigi U

15. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

14. Batman: Arkham City

13. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

12. Lego City: Undercover

11. Rayman Legends

10. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

09. New Super Mario Bros. U

08. NES Remix 1&2

07. Bayonetta 2

06. Shovel Knight

05. Pikmin 3

04. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

03. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

02. Super Mario 3D World

01. Mario Kart 8

No Deus Ex or Mass Effect 3? I am shocked, they are must haves!

And here's the video of said list.

Top 25 Wii U Games (Spring 2015)

Don't agree with some of the games on the list or their order and there's omitted games that should be there but that's always going to be the case.

I'm expecting news of a Nintendo Direct soon.