NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I used to do this with my PS3 back in 2008-2009 by buying almost every digital game from the US or Hong Kong PSN store because they were cheaper and came out earlier. Eventually Sony noticed this and made it impossible to pay to those stores with a foreign credit card. Maybe Nintendo will do somethig similar.

God I hope not. I rely on the Japanese eShop too much

That's why people should make hay while the sun is shining. Bought Metroid Fusion this evening, nearly bought Super Metroid by mistake, wasn't thinking straight. Sure they might close the loophole but they can't take the games off us because we're working within the parameters Nintendo set themselves.

Nintendo Voice Chat: What's Next for Nintendo

Some very good discussion, fast forwarded past the Codename Steam bit. Was falling asleep at some points, nothing to do with the discussion, I'm just wrecked.

Nintendo have rescheduled last weeks cancelled financial results meeting for February 17. You may remember Iwata was ill, s that's why it was postponed. Though it's usually aimed at investors and analysts with reserved time for questions from the investors we normally get some good nuggets of information from them.

[TWEET]562774021688000512[/TWEET]

Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros and now it looks to be the same with Splatoon. No in-game voice chat.

Then there's the decisions to have no online in games like SM3DW, Pikmin etc where online would be a great addition.

I'm glad their single player experiences are still great but their multiplayer games just aren't fun anymore (unless it's local).

Nintendo is like a girlfriend that is fit and is great when you're together but she never wants to you see your mates ever again.

You just have to break up with her as she's not right for you in the long-run.

82DFB012-281F-421C-9F2B-F408EC98CD5C_zpsdi5xiufd.jpg

I'm gutted and angry because I love Nintendo, but they just aren't catering for me anymore, I'm devastated.

Edited by Kav

I used to do this with my PS3 back in 2008-2009 by buying almost every digital game from the US or Hong Kong PSN store because they were cheaper and came out earlier. Eventually Sony noticed this and made it impossible to pay to those stores with a foreign credit card. Maybe Nintendo will do somethig similar.

You may already know this but whilst it's impossible to pay with a foreign card, it's still possible to get the games. You can buy US PSN credit on Amazon.com with any card and then use that on a US account.

Since Nintendo sells points on amazon.co.jp that would probably still work in the event of any changes :)

Edited by Shorty

Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros and now it looks to be the same with Splatoon. No in-game voice chat.

Then there's the decisions to have no online in games like SM3DW, Pikmin etc where online would be a great addition.

I'm glad their single player experiences are still great but their multiplayer games just aren't fun anymore (unless it's local).

Nintendo is like a girlfriend that is fit and is great when you're together but she never wants to you see your mates ever again.

You just have to break up with her as she's not right for you in the long-run.

82DFB012-281F-421C-9F2B-F408EC98CD5C_zpsdi5xiufd.jpg

I'm gutted and angry because I love Nintendo, but they just aren't catering for me anymore, I'm devastated.

Not to give the endless voice chat whining any more attention but calling Reggie a £@$%? A bit of perspective may be needed :indeed:

But he has told lies a few times about both the WiiU and games on it. What perspective is needed?

But he has told lies a few times about both the WiiU and games on it. What perspective is needed?

I know it's a lot to ask in the gaming community but a little bit of maturity would be nice. It's really not necessary to call Reggie a c word, regardless of any "lies" you think he's told.

I know it's a lot to ask in the gaming community but a little bit of maturity would be nice. It's really not necessary to call Reggie a c word, regardless of any "lies" you think he's told.

I don't think he's told any, I know he has.

Given that I can't actually talk to Reggie, my use of the word cunt cannot be directed aggressively and so it shouldn't be taken as so.

So no, no other perspective is needed.

Ah so because you can't say it to his face, it's fine to call him a cunt. Gotcha. That sounds like immature gamer entitlement talk, of which @Wii also is a fully paid up member.

For the record, the above comment from Reggie isn't a lie. If he'd replaced the words "we want" with "we are going to" then you might have had a point.

Edited by Ronnie

Ah so because you can't say it to his face, it's fine to call him a cunt. Gotcha. That sounds like immature gamer entitlement talk, of which @Wii also is a fully paid up member.

For the record, the above comment from Reggie isn't a lie. If he'd replaced the words "we want" with "we are going to" then you might have had a point.

Edited so that it's dropped...

Basically the picture, as with the one in my sig are tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by Kav

Ah so because you can't say it to his face, it's fine to call him a cunt. Gotcha. That sounds like immature gamer entitlement talk, of which @kav82 and @Ronnie - just drop it here/now. Kav's used the image lots of times before, but if you find it offensive let someone from the moderation team know and we'll deal with it.

If anyone's interested, I was charged a £1 fee for buying Captain Toad off of the Russian eShop. Still cost half of what it would've cost otherwise though :)

If anyone's interested, I was charged a £1 fee for buying Captain Toad off of the Russian eShop. Still cost half of what it would've cost otherwise though :)

In Soviet Russia... Captain Toad buys you! :heh:

It's not a bad loophole for getting some cheap digital games I suppose. :)

I won't be taking part in it but I'm glad to hear that it has paid off for you and others. : peace:

Let's face it, many of the digital games on the eShop should be a lot cheaper. :indeed:

In Soviet Russia... Captain Toad buys you! :heh:

It's not a bad loophole for getting some cheap digital games I suppose. :)

I won't be taking part in it but I'm glad to hear that it has paid off for you and others. : peace:

Let's face it, many of the digital games on the eShop should be a lot cheaper. :indeed:

Well at first I did think 'Oh, I can buy LOADS of games!' but then I went onto the eShop and realised that there isn't much there that I don't already own :(

Well at first I did think 'Oh, I can buy LOADS of games!' but then I went onto the eShop and realised that there isn't much there that I don't already own :(

That's true, my first thought would be...

'Oh! Think of all the Virtual Console games I could b...'

:blank:

Well at least all of our digital purchases should be instantly downloadable or transferable for the next generation of consoles right? :)

R-right? :wtf:

Nintendo? :indeed:

As much as I love them sometimes you do have to seriously wonder about the future. :heh:

Well at least all of our digital purchases should be instantly downloadable or transferable for the next generation of consoles right? :)

As much as I love them sometimes you do have to seriously wonder about the future. :heh:

Mama Mia :(

Oh well, the next release is Kirby, right? Not too far away :)

It's funny... there is a sufficient gap between releases but personally I'm not too concerned as I already have quite the backlog on just the Wii U alone.

Hyrule Warriors Characters to level, unlock, dlc to enjoy... I will go back to it.

Captain Toad Played a few levels... :( I'm a bad person... :heh: I'll... I'll play it again when I get my Toad Amiibo. :indeed:

Super Smash Bros. I love Smash, it's just... laziness keeping me away. ::shrug:

Despite all this I just know that the only time between now and April I'll be turning on my Wii U is for Wii Fit each day, Amiibo gifts, Metroid Prime Trilogy - just because :awesome: - and VC titles. :blank:

The rest of the gap will be filled by Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter...

...utilising party chat on the PS4, giving me a reason to switch that on as well. ;)

I still love the Wii U though. : peace:

I'd trust Nintendo with forward compatibility much more than MS or Sony mind you...

After all, they have a perfect track record thus far - unlike MS (who have never maintained any sort of backwards compatibility with digital content - they dumped compatibility for the original Xbox's DL content and now again with the 360) and Sony (who gave partial compatibility with the Vita where some of your PSP games worked, no DLC for the games that did work mind you, and that's it)

And with the next systems supposedly being built around the Wii U's hardware architecture, I don't doubt that backwards compatibility will be a big priority for them (after all, why else do you think that they're investing so much into the Wii U's VC services and why do you think they're working to take heavy advantage of the fact that the Wii U can play Wii & GCN games natively? ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

I'd trust Nintendo with forward compatibility much more than MS or Sony mind you...

After all, they have a perfect track record thus far - unlike MS (who have never maintained any sort of backwards compatibility with digital content - they dumped compatibility for the original Xbox's DL content and now again with the 360) and Sony (who gave partial compatibility with the Vita where some of your PSP games worked, no DLC for the games that did work mind you, and that's it)

And with the next systems supposedly being built around the Wii U's hardware architecture, I don't doubt that backwards compatibility will be a big priority for them (after all, why else do you think that they're investing so much into the Wii U's VC services and why do you think they're working to take heavy advantage of the fact that the Wii U can play Wii & GCN games natively? ;) )

Iwata has implied as much, too :)

I fully expect the Wii U VC to be on the successor straight out.

Iwata has implied as much, too :)

I fully expect the Wii U VC to be on the successor straight out.

Of course it will. With the Wii VC, they were stuck with a myriad of limitations that meant that they couldn't have the features that they wanted with them. They could run on the Wii U, but there was no way to run them off USB storage, nor was there a way to add things like Miiverse support, Off TV play, Wii U Pro Controller/Gamepad support or the much requested save state or custom button mapping features. The Wii never had an OS running in the background that could abstract things like USB storage handling and such - it all had to be hard coded into the games themselves (and USB homebrew methods don't work properly with VC or Wii Ware games - so the methods that they use for Wii Disc games on Wii U almost certainly wouldn't work for Wii VC games). That's why they have to run in Wii mode, and why they have to go in and manually upgrade each and every single game's individual VC emulator for their Wii U release.

With the Wii U VC however, things are different. Because there's an OS in the background that abstracts all of these hardware features like USB storage, screenshots, game suspension, Miiverse and such - getting these games to work on a future console in the way that you would expect is much easier now, because the OS that's inside the future Nintendo hardware should just be able to substitute for the Wii U's OS and handle all that stuff natively. If they are indeed planning on having the next console/handheld run on a superset of the Wii U's hardware architecture, then all Wii U VC (and Wii/GCN downloads) should just run perfectly out of the box from day 1! :D

I also fully expect the next Nintendo handheld to feature a screen that is the exact same resolution as the Wii U Gamepad (albiet at a smaller size) for this very reason. It would mean that it would be fully equipped to run and display all NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/N64/DS/GCN/Wii and possibly 3DS (depending on how they manage to pull off BC with that machine - the Gamepad's resolution does just happen to be exactly the perfect vertical resolution to display both top and bottom screens 1:1 when stacked vertically, or seperately with a 2x upscale ;) ) right out of the box! It would also be the perfect resolution to act as a Wii U Gamepad itself as well, with no per-game programming/reformatting required!

None of that is just a happy accident I'm sure. They know what they're doing here... (and even if for some crazy reason the next console supported 4K output, they still wouldn't have to reformat anything because 720p and 1080p both happen to scale perfectly to 4K as well!)

Speaking of the Gamepad... I reckon that with the next console they actually won't increase the resolution of its screen. Instead they will focus on improving the quality of the video stream itself (higher bit-rate), support for full 854x480 x2 for an S3D display (I'm betting that it'll have the same kind of dynamic parallax screen as what's in the New3DS - and what will be in the next handheld) and support for up to 4 displays rather than just 2 (hopefully all running at 60FPS for all four displays instead of the 60FPS X1/30FPS x2 that the Wii U currently maxes out at).

The next handheld will also double as a Gamepad substitute, not because the console won't come with one, but for those people who refuse to buy multiple Gamepads for multiplayer games that would require more than one.

Edited by Dcubed

The next handheld will also double as a Gamepad substitute, not because the console won't come with one, but for those people who refuse to buy multiple Gamepads for multiplayer games that would require more than one.

You think the next home console will have a Gamepad?

Of course it will! It wouldn't be able to play Wii U games otherwise; and backwards compatibility is going to be a huge selling point for the new console/handheld/NintendOS altogether!

If they weren't planning on having one with their next console, they wouldn't be doubling down on it with Wii U like they are now. The reason why they're continuing to invest so much into it, despite the low hardware sales, is because it's an investment into their future.

All signs point to their R&D going in this direction with their planned unified OS ecosystem. Full BC with every single Nintendo console/handheld and peripheral post N64 era out of the box from day 1 will be a massive selling point! The barrier to entry will be low and the past games (which will be new to a large chunk of their potential audience) will be cheap, with no huge costs associated with getting any of it working for Nintendo - making it affordable and viable for them to do as well!

All of their existing controllers will also continue to find new uses as well. You'll still be using your Wii U Pro Controllers, Gamepad, Wii Remote/Nunchuck/GCN controller and even possibly your DK Bongo Drums with the next console and onwards! (No need to buy new controllers also acts to lower the barrier to entry for consumers and continue to allow Nintendo to leverage their myriad of USPs that they've developed over the years ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

It will be interesting to see if they use it again. If they do use such a device again, I hope they use a screen with a better resolution.

Of course it will! It wouldn't be able to play Wii U games otherwise; and backwards compatibility is going to be a huge selling point for the new console/handheld/NintendOS altogether!

If they weren't planning on having one with their next console, they wouldn't be doubling down on it with Wii U like they are now. The reason why they're continuing to invest so much into it, despite the low hardware sales, is because it's an investment into their future.

All signs point to their R&D going in this direction with their planned unified OS ecosystem. Full BC with every single Nintendo console/handheld and peripheral post N64 era out of the box from day 1 will be a massive selling point! The barrier to entry will be low and the past games (which will be new to a large chunk of their potential audience) will be cheap, with no huge costs associated with getting any of it working for Nintendo - making it affordable and viable for them to do as well!

All of their existing controllers will also continue to find new uses as well. You'll still be using your Wii U Pro Controllers, Gamepad, Wii Remote/Nunchuck/GCN controller and even possibly your DK Bongo Drums with the next console and onwards! (No need to buy new controllers also acts to lower the barrier to entry for consumers and continue to allow Nintendo to leverage their myriad of USPs that they've developed over the years ;) )

The old gamepad may somehow work with it, but I strongly doubt they will make another expensive tablet style gamepad like they have done with the Wii U. They'd be absolutely mad to go with something that proved unpopular and expensive yet again. They also hardly made use of it beyond a second screen.

Sorry but no. Nintendo charge us to use our Wii Virtual Console games on the Wii U while Sony let us use digital PS One games on the PS3, PSP and PS Vita. Nintendo still restrict us to a single 3DS too. So we're not even "sidewards compatible" when it comes to digital games we've actually paid for. And lest we forget that the DS family hasn't supported GBA games since the DS Lite. Even though the hardware technically allows it.

Plus the Wii did have an OS abstracting some of the hardware interaction. It's why certain games would boot into a different IOS. For example IOS30 was used for USB keyboard interaction.

And if you're expecting the Wii U games to work on a successor console, ha. Do you want us to be stuck with a PowerPC architecture forever? Please lets get with the times and move onto an x86 one.

To stop this crystal ball gazing could we not have a specific thread for speculation on the next home console?