NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

They supplied 400 for Apex apparently...

(Which, btw, was the best tournament I've ever seen!)

The entire North American shipment :p

Just checked Play-Asia on that 3rd party note - a.) expedited shipping, whilst a few bunce, apparently damn good - tracking says it was dispatched Friday and got delivered today(get my stuff delivered to my parents' so didn't know til now) b.)I did NOT get the 3rd party adapter, either I was too late on the order to hit first stock, or they didn't get any stock. Will sit and wait hopefully for now, expect it will hit within a few weeks if so. Here's where Ninty's falling down too - should setup a Nintendo-store preorder ability to guage both market and demand, and manufacture accordingly/over.

The entire North American shipment :p

400 is still probably more than Nintendo provided worldwide. :heh:

Hang on, what's the catch to this eshop games? Is it easy. I'll buy loads if possible

Hang on, what's the catch to this eshop games? Is it easy. I'll buy loads if possible

Nice to you're sticking to your guns this year and not going overboard with gaming purchases! :D

Turns out Captain Toad was only £12. Got some GBA titles for £2 each (Fire Emblem, Castlevania).

Sm4sh is only £22. Tempting.

Tempting alright. A few questions though. Are they in Russian, probably not? Any way I can see these on the eShop without creating another account? Any downsides?

Nice to you're sticking to your guns this year and not going overboard with gaming purchases! :D

Bargains aren't included in that :)

You're helping the Russian government?

Created another account but can't get into the eShop, it keeps timing out. Do I need to change the time to local Russian time?

There is the thought that Nintendo may ban you for doing it.

They can't prove a thing. For all they know it could be my cousin Vladamir was visiting and wanted to buy some games. Serves them right anyway.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

PAL games purchased off of the Russian eShop are ridiculously cheap at the moment, so if you change the shop to the Russian one and make a new NNID that is synced to the Russian eShop, you can purchase the games.

Is it easy? Yup. I got a bunch of games for £25..would've cost me £60 on this UK store.

Tempting alright. A few questions though. Are they in Russian, probably not? Any way I can see these on the eShop without creating another account? Any downsides?

They are PAL versions, so the main language is English. I'd recommend being familar with the eShop layout though..took me a few minutes to work out how to pay :heh:

There is the thought that Nintendo may ban you for doing it.

It would be unprecedented for them to ban someone for this, given that they haven't taken action on it since 2012 and thousands of people use it to access games from other PAL regions. A much more likely scenario is that they increase Russian prices.

Edit: Legally speaking, the worst they can do is offer you a refund :)

Edited by Goron_3

PAL games purchased off of the Russian eShop are ridiculously cheap at the moment, so if you change the shop to the Russian one and make a new NNID that is synced to the Russian eShop, you can purchase the games.

Is it easy? Yup. I got a bunch of games for £25..would've cost me £60 on this UK store.

They are PAL versions, so the main language is English. I'd recommend being familar with the eShop layout though..took me a few minutes to work out how to pay :heh:

W

It would be unprecedented for them to ban someone for this, given that they haven't taken action on it since 2012 and thousands of people use it to access games from other PAL regions. A much more likely scenario is that they increase Russian prices.

Edit: Legally speaking, the worst they can do is offer you a refund :)

is this a constant thing or a current glitch? I'm back Thursday and will purchase everything on my wish list :)

is this a constant thing or a current glitch? I'm back Thursday and will purchase everything on my wish list :)

Don't think it's a glitch. The Russian Ruble is in bits, that's why they're so cheap.

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Unepic are less than €9. That's a € less than what MPT costs here alone.

@Goron_3 Is this where you do all your eShop buying? I'm wary of buying games separate from my usual NNID. What'll happen in future? Say when the next console comes along, will all the games transfer over? I know you can't answer that. I'm still not sure, are the games tied to the console or your NNID? Your NNID, right? But I've the Wind Waker HD console. If I deleted my NNID, it's still tied to the console regardless.

Edited by Wii

Don't think it's a glitch. The Russian Ruble is in bits, that's why they're so cheap.

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Unepic are less than €9. That's a € less than what MPT costs here alone.

@Goron_3 Is this where you do all your eShop buying? I'm wary of buying games separate from my usual NNID. What'll happen in future? Say when the next console comes along, will all the games transfer over? I know you can't answer that. I'm still not sure, are the games tied to the console or your NNID? Your NNID, right? But I've the Wind Waker HD console. If I deleted my NNID, it's still tied to the console regardless.

According to GAF, once you've downloaded a PAL version from a Russian NNID, it's 'already purchased' on your UK NNID. You could essentially pay the Russian price, cancel the download and then sign into your UK NNID and download it. Once you've downloaded a PAL version of the game, you own it, regardless of the region.

Normally the Russian prices are the same but as the ruble is worth nothing, the exchange rate is doing wonders. They'll inevitably push the Russian prices up, just depends when they do it.

According to GAF, once you've downloaded a PAL version from a Russian NNID, it's 'already purchased' on your UK NNID. You could essentially pay the Russian price, cancel the download and then sign into your UK NNID and download it. Once you've downloaded a PAL version of the game, you own it, regardless of the region.

So I don't need to set up another NNID?

No I think I do. It's saying something about my NNID not matching country of residence.

I see what you mean now.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

So I don't need to set up another NNID?

No I think I do. It's saying something about my NNID not matching country of residence.

I see what you mean now.

Do you have to change the country of residence for the NNID or the eShop, or both, forgot where this is to do it?

I think what they actually mean is that you can buy it with a Russian NNID and then play it under any other account. It's not going to show up in your UK NNID's purchase history because it's a different account being used to purchase it.

It's just like how it works on PS3. Any account on the machine can be used to play a downloaded game, but that purchase is still tied to the one NNID used to make the purchase.

Personally I'm not gonna bother taking advantage because I want to keep all of my purchases on the one account - I can foresee it being a problem later on down the line if you've used multiple accounts to make purchases when they do cross platform discounts and transfers in the future...

Edited by Dcubed

Do you have to change the country of residence for the NNID or the eShop, or both, forgot where this is to do it?

You change the country of residence on System Settings first. When you create your new NNID it then asks for your country/region again (Moscow biatch!).

FYI, 3DS games are also very cheap BUT if you commit to a Russian account on the new 3DS then you are stuck with it as the 3DS only accepts 1 NNID per console whereas the Wii U accepts 12.

I got through the process of setting up the account and downloaded Metroid Prime Trilogy and Unepic from the Russian eShop. It was a little tricky setting up the credit card details with the Russian text but now it's sorted it'll be plain sailing. I think I might get Metroid Fusion next. I feel like a kid in a candy store. So many bargains, everything's as good as half price, I wish I knew about it sooner. Wish I also bought Teslagrad last week while it was still discounted, regardless of the Russian eShop loophole. Don't know why I didn't.

And yes you can download them through your normal NNID. Took ages to download but that was because they automatically download to your hard drive which I wasn't aware of even though there's plenty of room on the internal memory. Need the Y cable to arrive to speed things up, it downloaded it eventually but it hasn't got enough power to transfer over to the internal memory.

I think we'll be fine come the end of the generation, I hope and think we'll be able to transfer everything over to the new console regardless of different NNID's. And regarding the one account thing, I may as well give up on Club Nintendo because I don't get the points from my second console because only one NNID can be tied to my stars catalogue and I do all of my digital purchases on it. I've sent Nintendo e-mails about it but never got a response. All those points are sitting in limbo, I've been screwed there. So one good turn deserves another and I shouldn't feel bad about the loophole and don't.

Edited by Wii

I'd be very careful if I were you guys. I currently live in Russia and can promise you that your UK bank won't be charging you the current exchange rate you think you may be paying. Because of the volatility of the rouble some banks are giving an awful exchange rate, so while you think you may be getting 100 roubles to the pound, in reality it's probably closer to 75 or 80. Wii U games have doubled in price here in the past few months and the EShop is due to follow suit soon. There is such a low number of people playing Wii U here that I'm sure Nintendo will have noticed increased activity in the Russian EShop and are probably already taking measures to close the loophole, and the future of those games you own may well be uncertain if you created a new account to get them and are based outside Russia.

I still get paid 70,000 rub a month, but Wii U games, at least in the store have gone up from 1,800 to 3,500. Truly depressing.

I'd be very careful if I were you guys. I currently live in Russia and can promise you that your UK bank won't be charging you the current exchange rate you think you may be paying. Because of the volatility of the rouble some banks are giving an awful exchange rate, so while you think you may be getting 100 roubles to the pound, in reality it's probably closer to 75 or 80. Wii U games have doubled in price here in the past few months and the EShop is due to follow suit soon. There is such a low number of people playing Wii U here that I'm sure Nintendo will have noticed increased activity in the Russian EShop and are probably already taking measures to close the loophole, and the future of those games you own may well be uncertain if you created a new account to get them and are based outside Russia.

I still get paid 70,000 rub a month, but Wii U games, at least in the store have gone up from 1,800 to 3,500. Truly depressing.

Just looked at my bank balance now, though the details of the 2 purchases aren't up yet but it has been deducted. It appears to have cost exactly €8.60 for the 2 games I purchased above whereas on the European eShop the price is €17. The price I paid is in line with the exchange rate and what I expected to pay.

I'm not even going to risk it to be fair, it does sound tempting to do though.

Just looked at my bank balance now, though the details of the 2 purchases aren't up yet but it has been deducted. It appears to have cost exactly €8.60 for the 2 games I purchased above whereas on the European eShop the price is €17. The price I paid is in line with the exchange rate and what I expected to pay.

That's fair enough, then you have bank charges as well for paying in a different currency. Small I know, but it adds up. It's not so bad when you're paying for cheap eshop releases but I'd worry about being locked out if it was a full retail release. Sure half price sounds good, but with the way Nintendo seem to be heading with a unified and more integrated account system, you could end up losing that £25 bargain.

I used to do this with my PS3 back in 2008-2009 by buying almost every digital game from the US or Hong Kong PSN store because they were cheaper and came out earlier. Eventually Sony noticed this and made it impossible to pay to those stores with a foreign credit card. Maybe Nintendo will do somethig similar.