NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Oh of course. But it's not good marketing to make something so biased that it is unconvincing. I mean, the point is to convince people it really does have loads more great games, right? Listing Pokemon X and Y is a pretty good example, because most people would see those 2 listed and get the impression that the figures were inflated.

The only one that has any form of basis for valid complaint is the separation of Pokémon X & Y, with Bayonetta 1 & 2 and Smash Bros, it's really clutching at straws to try and claim that their placement is invalid

Honestly, I don't really care what it shows. I personally have very little interest in Nintendo's current lineup, but I also have no desire to see them fail.

What I do have interest in is advertising. I saw something that I found interesting and posted on it.

And I think I'm done. I've tried to have a decent discussion, but at this point it's like talking to a grumpy child.

Yes, this time I am acting grumpy because I am dealing with statements that are so ridiculous, the most ridiculous things I have ever seen either here or on GAF, which is saying something.

Maybe the conditions for being on this poster are slightly contrived, but it's not really worth getting worked up about.

I agree. And out of all the people here, there's only one that is actually getting worked up about this. :p

Apart from having arguably better stages, Smash Run, a different style of Classic mode and Streetsmash?

I can't stand the conception that Smash 3DS is somehow a "lesser" version of Smash. It's bordering on ignorant.

(As far as quality of content goes, 3DS has far superior stages for me)

I have spent a whole lot more time with 3DS smash over Wii U version and I am not counting the weeks I played it before I received the Wii U version.

Smash on the 3DS was a brilliant move by Nintendo. I love it and Wii U version hasn't changed my opinion at all.

Oh yeah, definitely. Only the most ardent Nintendo fanboy would be able to look past the extreme bias (to the point of ridiculousness) in that poster. Even it we put aside that they have arbitrarily gated at an 85% metacritic + user score (naturally selected as this will have resulted in the most favourable comparison chart), counting the Pokemon games twice really does discredit it. I'd say the same for Smash, and probably the same for Bayonetta, given that it wasn't exactly getting the remaster treatment that we've seen on other consoles.

Ok so let's take Pokemon X/Y as one game, get rid of OOT3D cause it's a very old remake, mix the two Smash Bros together, those crippling losses leaves the ratio down to a measly 16 > 8. Ouch. They could have gated it at 90%+, probably would have been 9 > 4. Oh and most of those games are exclusives so I think it's fair to say they've got a lot to shout about. Quality is never an issue with Nintendo games, that's all this poster is boasting about.

Given the extras in Bayonetta (costumes etc) I'd say it's fair to include it if you'd include The Last of Us on a PS4 list.

It's also fair including WW and OOT3D, these are games that many people won't have played, especially those that Nintendo tend to go after (a younger audience) as they'd have been too young to play them when they were originally released.

The list is fair, only those biased against Nintendo would suggest otherwise.

Virtue's Last Reward is also available for Vita, but nice that it even gets a mention somewhere. It has a mind-blowing story worth playing through :)

Virtue's Last Reward is also available for Vita, but nice that it even gets a mention somewhere. It has a mind-blowing story worth playing through :)

And I'm still waiting for the sequel :( I NEED IT.

Unfortunately it will probably never happen :( The sales of 999 and VLR were quite low as expected.

Unfortunately it will probably never happen :( The sales of 999 and VLR were quite low as expected.

Yeah, I've read a couple of interviews a few months ago...it's a shame as the story is really something amazing and - as you've said - mindblowing.

I would happily back a sequel via Kickstarter

Has anybody read this?

Nintendo’s next console will likely use x86 AMD chip, just like the Xbox One and PS4

After securing both the Xbox One and PS4, it would appear that an AMD SoC will also be powering Nintendo’s next console. Nintendo has been hinting at new hardware for a while now, probably to appease any disgruntled gamers and shareholders over the Wii U’s lackluster impact in the eighth-generation console war — now, Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed that Nintendo is working on a possible new gaming system, and AMD has confirmed that it’s got another major design win. Are they one and the same thing? Probably.

At a recent conference, AMD’s CFO Devinder Kumar said that the company had two major new design wins. When pushed on the details, he elaborated a little further, “I will say that one is x86 and the other is ARM, and at least one will be beyond gaming, right … They [the customers] are going to announce it and then … you will find out that it is AMD’s APU that is being used in those products.” When he talks about ARM, it’s hard to say if he’s talking about AMD’s 8-core Cortex-A57 server Opteron chip (which is rather boring), or a Project Skybridge SoC with a custom-designed ARM CPU. Hopefully it’s the latter, though that new ARM CPU isn’t due until 2016.

Over the las six months, Nintendo has made a few hints that it was working on some new hardware. Back in May, the company said it was, rather intriguingly, working on a cheaper console for emerging markets. Now, in an interview with Associated Press, Shigeru Miyamoto said, “While we’re busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be.” In the same interview he said he wants to see Mario lead the way on the next console, likening the bearded plumber to Mickey Mouse.

So, this isn’t quite confirmation that AMD is working on an SoC for Nintendo’s next console, but given everything that we know about the industry, it seems highly likely. It would be interesting if Nintendo’s next console was powered by an AMD ARM chip, but it’s much more likely that it’ll be an x86 SoC, just like the Xbox One and PS4.

Assuming Nintendo’s next console isn’t due for another year or two, we’re probably looking at an x86 APU with Puma (next-gen Jaguar) CPU cores. At this point it’s impossible to say what GPU Nintendo might go for — it could go for something old and cheap (a 2012-era Pitcairn GCN 1.0 GPU like the PS4 and Xbox One), or it could opt for one of the newer GCN 1.1 or 1.2 cores like Tonga Pro. It will all depend on timing, and whether Nintendo wants to stick to its cheap-and-cheerful strategy or compete with Sony and Microsoft for the flashy visuals (and the rich 25-35 demographic that comes with them).

If Nintendo does indeed go with a conventional x86 CPU/GPU, it will mark the first time, a) Nintendo hasn’t used some kind of crazy, non-conventional hardware, and b) that all of the console makers are using the same architecture. This might seem like a fairly dramatic move, but don’t forget that the last three generations of Nintendo console (the GameCube and later) have used an ATI or AMD GPU, paired with a Power architecture CPU custom designed by IBM. With x86 holding such a dominant position in the gaming market, and IBM mostly getting out of making chips, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Nintendo join the x86 bandwagon.

Of course, there is one other interesting possibility: Given ARM’s dominance in the mobile world, and the fact that almost all of Nintendo’s portables use ARM CPUs… maybe Nintendo’s new console really will go for AMD’s upcoming custom ARM CPU, paired with a beefy GPU.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/196303-nintendos-next-console-will-likely-use-x86-amd-chip-just-like-the-xbox-one-and-ps4

I believe we'll see the Wii U's successor in 2016 regardless of the veracity of this article.

Has anybody read this?

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/196303-nintendos-next-console-will-likely-use-x86-amd-chip-just-like-the-xbox-one-and-ps4

I believe we'll see the Wii U's successor in 2016 regardless of the veracity of this article.

Maybe but where does the handheld fit into all this? One thing for sure is the wii u won't last long and Zelda will be the swansong. 2016 would mean be 4 years for the wii u which sounds about right due the position the console is in. No way it can last much longer than that and Nintendo should be looking to launch the next platform with some major titles in the launch period instead of releasing those titles on wii u. It sucks if you have a wii u in the sense game releases will dry up but it's vital that whenever Nintendo release their new console they avoid the same mistake with the dreaded drought like we saw with the wii u.

If Nintendo releases a console midway through the other console's life then it'll just be outdated again within a couple of years when the next consoles hit.

If Nintendo releases a console midway through the other console's life then it'll just be outdated again within a couple of years when the next consoles hit.

You're implying the Wii U is outdated. It is not.

May I just remind you that raw numbers are not the only indicator of technological prowess? Especially considering the high level of competence in the Wii U's technology. The streaming is top notch, they get so much power out of such little energy. It's a masterpiece. They don't just go "more power" and don't care about everything else, technologically the Wii U is nice and it is very modern. Just because its specs are lower does not mean it's outdated.

The Wii U's problem isn't power. It's that Nintendo are so incompetent at marketing. They screwed marketing up for it globally. In E3 2011, they said they'd reveal a new console, they said they had their new console yet somehow people still thought it was a peripheral. The advertising for it has been ridiculously poor (I haven't seen a Smash U advert in the UK...criminal), and the name really dampened things.

They just need to relearn how to market things and, even if the Wii U's successor is "less powerful", it could still do very well

Edited by Serebii

You're implying the Wii U is outdated. It is not.

May I just remind you that raw numbers are not the only indicator of technological prowess?

Paging cloud cuckoo land!

Yes, it is. It was outdated the moment it was released as Nintendo wanted a last gen spec, 'out of the way' box that pleased your mum rather than you.

Nobody will support it and it's seen as weaker than the competition.

Maybe but where does the handheld fit into all this? One thing for sure is the wii u won't last long and Zelda will be the swansong. 2016 would mean be 4 years for the wii u which sounds about right due the position the console is in. No way it can last much longer than that and Nintendo should be looking to launch the next platform with some major titles in the launch period instead of releasing those titles on wii u. It sucks if you have a wii u in the sense game releases will dry up but it's vital that whenever Nintendo release their new console they avoid the same mistake with the dreaded drought like we saw with the wii u.

If Nintendo want to push this cross platform ability. They should launch near each other. 6 months apart at most. In the past the console/handheld games have been slapped together haphazardly. Right from the off as Nintendo have talked about if something is on the handheld and you want it on the console eShop, it will be know problem. No messing around with architecture.

Imagine if we could have had 3DS games like Luigis Mansion or Kid Icarus. It would have lightened the blow for Wii U owners. Instead of companies like Capcom(Resident Evil Revelations) messing around with code to get to get it to run on consoles. If that could happen then that would be an added string to the bow. We could have ports no problem while it would be extra effort for companies to bring those games to other platforms.

They should link seamlessly for multiplayer. Both online and local.

There's no way the Wii U makes it beyond 2016. I was in Smyths yesterday for the first time in about 8 months maybe. It is shocking. It is so bad. Can't see them selling Wii U this time next year. Their video game section is huge. I'm sorry I didn't take photos. Wii U has a tiny section. One stand facing off the back of 2 long rows of other console games. A pitiful selection of games. It's about 3 1/2 feet wide by 4 1/2 feet high with hardly any games on it. A tiny Pikachu sign on the ground beside it says amiibo available. But the amiibo are off over somewhere else.

Again one tiny stand with amiibo on either side of it. There were about 10 - 15 of them. One Captain Falcon, one Zelda and rest were duplicates of Samus, Peach, Diddy Kong and Yoshi. Zelda looks best. That was my first time seeing them in the flesh. Not overly impressed. Some aspects look good but then other features look terrible like the paintwork.

Then behind the counter they've the Basic Wii U deals which are terrible compared to earlier deals. They had 2 Smash Bros. Gamecube controllers and I was thinking that's good at least but then thought that's probably because they've no adapters to sell. It really was a pitiful and sad sight to behold.

The biggest thing I noticed was Skylanders. Holy hell, this stuff must be huge. It had the biggest amount of dedicated space by some distance.

There were demo units set up. People were playing FIFA on the PS4. The Wii U was setup beside it, nobody played it while I was there. I had a quick glance through it. It's still the same demo setup from the start but updated. Back then there was only NSMBWU playable. Now there's Rayman, SM3DW and DKCR: TF. So they're updating it sporadically. There's still videos of all the launch games like Batman. You know what else is on it? Aliens: Colonial Marines. Enough said.

Edited by Wii

Paging cloud cuckoo land!

Yes, it is. It was outdated the moment it was released as Nintendo wanted a last gen spec, 'out of the way' box that pleased your mum rather than you.

Nobody will support it and it's seen as weaker than the competition.

I have a graphics card. It's the latest tech, but it's not the highest spec. Ergo it's not outdated. See the edit to my original post.

You are continually equating higher specs to being more advanced. That is not the case. Technological advancements are not just based on higher specs, but on efficiency, capabilities etc.

I have a graphics card. It's the latest tech, but it's not the highest spec. Ergo it's not outdated. See the edit to my original post.

You are continually equating higher specs to being more advanced. That is not the case. Technological advancements are not just based on higher specs, but on efficiency, capabilities etc.

Why on Earth would people want to play multiplatform games at the same level of graphical fidelity as they have been doing for 8 years. And pay hundreds of pounds to do so! Of course their machine being underpowered has had a massive effect on their third party support. In addition to their policies and online infrastructure...it's a fucking mess. Let's not forget this came out at £300 too... very poor value for money when you consider the PS4 was £350.

Your rebuttal will no doubt be "but it's got the gamepad" as a reason why it's advanced, but that is a bit of a joke; it's underused and hardly cutting edge technology.

If they release a console in a couple of years and the PS4/X1 goes on for an additional 2, the next Nintendo console is going to be behind again. And yes, specs do matter, because to have a chance of getting third party support they need to equal the competition in terms of hardware or better it.

The Wii U's problem isn't power.

Of course part of the problem is power. No amount of marketing will magically make the new Batman: Arkham Knight run on the Wii U. The same applies to all the other true next gen games coming out.

Why on Earth would people want to play multiplatform games at the same level of graphical fidelity as they have been doing for 8 years. And pay hundreds of pounds to do so! Of course their machine being underpowered has had a massive effect on their third party support. In addition to their policies and online infrastructure...it's a fucking mess. Let's not forget this came out at £300 too... very poor value for money when you consider the PS4 was £350.

Your rebuttal will no doubt be "but it's got the gamepad" as a reason why it's advanced, but that is a bit of a joke; it's underused and hardly cutting edge technology.

If they release a console in a couple of years and the PS4/X1 goes on for an additional 2, the next Nintendo console is going to be behind again. And yes, specs do matter, because to have a chance of getting third party support they need to equal the competition in terms of hardware or better it.

No, I am talking technology here. I'm the one of the two of us who actually has credentials when it comes to computing technology. You just look at specs and think "Oh, it's more advanced". I look at the technology and the technology is very advanced and competent

Wii U has lower specs, yes, but the technology in the console is ridiculously efficient and advanced. As for the GamePad, it's not "hardly used", either. It's ALWAYS used. Just because it's not used in a gimmicky way, but I am talking about the technology behind it, since you said it was "outdated"

Also, Nintendo policies aren't ones that make them at odds with developers. You're thinking of Microsoft

The Wii U's problem isn't power. It's that Nintendo are so incompetent at marketing. They screwed marketing up for it globally.

Jesus Christ, if you believe that's the only reason it failed, or even the major reason it failed, you are literally so far lost in terms of anyone being able to realistically help you find the truth.

Jesus Christ, if you believe that's the only reason it failed, or even the major reason it failed, you are literally so far lost in terms of anyone being able to realistically help you find the truth.

Coming from someone who cannot tell the difference between outdated technology and advanced technology but with "lower" specs..."ouch".

Try again

The Gamecube is the console Nintendo left on market the shortest amount of time, even by that measure late 2017 is the earliest Nintendo would launch the next home console (Nov/Dec 2017). Nintendo have always given each of their consoles 5 years, even the GC only fell short of that by a couple of weeks. Mid 2017 is the very earliest I would expect the next console to be ready for launch (they can't release a half completed console just because the current one isn't selling like hot cakes!!)

And yes, specs do matter, because to have a chance of getting third party support they need to equal the competition in terms of hardware or better it.

Of course specs matter, you only get massive thirdparty support when you are equal to Sony/Microsoft. Even bettering them would be a giant risk and not a smart move at all.

But that's also the reason we will never see this happen (I think).

Nintendo follows their blue ocean strategy: "We don't wan't to do more or better of the same, we wan't to do something different." Avoiding shark water so to speak.

They can't and don't want to compete in that way, they want to offer something different, catering to another demographic.

They tried it once with the Gamecube (but with smaller reverse-burned DVD's) as that was the highest spec console of that generation, and that didn't work out at all for Nintendo.

If you don't feel happy about the current situation and support/type of games, you should really switch to another console, have a second one or a PC.

Nintendo is not gonna change and a lot of people are very, VERY, happy with that.

But of course some people won't find what they want and need to go to a competitor for their gaming needs.

I just don't understand why so many people don't see this... ::shrug:

No, I am talking technology here. I'm the one of the two of us who actually has credentials when it comes to computing technology.

You don't have any credentials of any worth to this discussion. Cisco systems...certificate? Lulz. You run a Pokemon website dude, hardly qualifies you to talk about anything here in depth. I believe @kav82 and I are still asking for the exact breakdown from you of how much bandwidth the voice chat element would have tipped 'the internet connection' while also play Smash. Seeing as you were confident it would wreck it and all.

You just look at specs and think "Oh, it's more advanced". I look at the technology and the technology is very advanced and competent

lol, like, WHAT? I literally have a clue what you're saying. You look at the technology and think it's very advanced. Why? It's comparable to a console released in 2005! Don't go bringing the power efficiency of the unit into the equation here, as frankly nobody gives a crap! I couldn't care less if it's far more efficient - of course it will be given it just achieves what an almost 10 year old console does but with more modern parts.

Wii U has lower specs, yes, but the technology in the console is ridiculously efficient and advanced.

I shit you not, but I called that you'd mention efficiency before even reading this line.

As for the GamePad, it's not "hardly used", either. It's ALWAYS used. Just because it's not used in a gimmicky way, but I am talking about the technology behind it, since you said it was "outdated"

Oh HAI DER Mr literal. Shall we rephrase: the gamepad is not routinely used in an ingenuitive, game-changing way. Because this is clearly not implied to you, since using it for off-screen play qualifies as it being 'heavily used', despite that obviously not being what people expected or, really, wanted for the gamepad.

Also, Nintendo policies aren't ones that make them at odds with developers. You're thinking of Microsoft

Nintendo's policy is to not have OS level voice chat, or the ability for people to see message notifications on screen as they arrive. And to have an OS that runs like shit in terms of multitasking (watch you address only the last criticism). Of course Nintendo's online infrastructure has affected dev's perception of the console.

Edited by Sheikah

You don't have any credentials of any worth to this discussion. Cisco systems...certificate? Lulz. You run a Pokemon website dude, hardly qualifies you to talk about anything here in depth. I believe @kav82 and I are still asking for the exact breakdown from you of how much bandwidth the voice chat element would have tipped 'the internet connection' while also play Smash. Seeing as you were confident it would wreck it and all.

I have a Bachelor of Science in this and will be starting a Masters in the next couple of years, thank you very much. Just because I run a Pokémon website does not mean I don't have the knowledge. How dare you attempt to condescend me. Do you really think you are capable of such a thing? Don't think for a second that you are.

lol, like, WHAT? I literally have a clue what you're saying. You look at the technology and think it's very advanced. Why? It's comparable to a console released in 2005! Don't go bringing the power efficiency of the unit into the equation here, as frankly nobody gives a crap! I couldn't care less if the console uses less power but produces graphics of a 2005 console!

So because "nobody gives a crap" about the capabilities of technology means it shouldn't be counted? Technology is outdated based on capabilities, efficiency, age etc. and the technology in the Wii U is, in 2012 terms, modern and unique.

You may not care, but it's a fact. Deal with it. Specs do not equate whether or not technology is outdated, and it's ridiculously stupid to think otherwise.

Oh HAI DER Mr literal. Shall we rephrase: the gamepad is not used in an ingenuitive, game-changing way. Because this is clearly not implied to you, since using it for off-screen play for every setting somehow justifies the entire thing as a game-changer for you.

You do realise that we're talking about technology, correct? We're talking about the technology behind that and the points you bring up are irrelevant to the topic at hand and show your attempts to scramble a potential argument rather than accept that you were wrong. How well or badly the GamePad is used has no factor into the technology within it. The technology within it is very advanced.

Nintendo's policy is to not have OS level voice chat, or the ability for people to see message notifications on screen as they arrive. And to have an OS that runs like shit in terms of multitasking (watch you address only the last criticism). Of course Nintendo's online infrastructure has affected dev's perception of the console.

Yeah ok.

Edited by Serebii