NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

The dream scenario would be to get a powerful console with Nintendo and all of these developers who I just purchased. Will it happen?

Of course not. Sony owns Media Molecule & Naughty Dog :p

Of course not. Sony owns Media Molecule & Naughty Dog :p

Hence why I changed it to say "most". ;)

The answer would probably be "no". If the WiiU is really on par with the other systems and can offer similar things, then why isn't it getting the cross-generational games like Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation or Dragon Age, or even GTAV. The answer is that Nintendo have just as many labels with other developers as they do with many mainstream gamers. They have also now lost EA by the looks of things.

Hence why I changed it to say "most". ;)

The answer would probably be "no". If the WiiU is really on par with the other systems and can offer similar things, then why isn't it getting the cross-generational games like Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation or Dragon Age, or even GTAV. The answer is that Nintendo have just as many labels with other developers as they do with many mainstream gamers. They have also now lost EA by the looks of things.

To be fair, it is an unprecedented partnership :p

Part of the problem is that you are missing a huge part of this picture. You just see war shooter, whereas others see it as co-operative gameplay, huge online battles, players communicating with each other, graphics that weren't entirely possible the generation before, ability to do things that weren't possible the generation before.

Also, to ignore quality from the likes of Bethesda, Bioware, Bizarre Creations, Blizzard, Creative Assembly, Crytek, Level-5, Media Molecule, Monolith Productions, Naughty Dog, Obsidian Entertainment, Platinum Games, Quantic Dream, Rocksteady Studios, SCE, Telltale Games, Turtle Rock studios, Ubisoft (a lot of negative press, but they also get a lot right, such as Rayman Origins and Legends which in my opinion bested the recent New Super Mario Bros. games and 3D World), Valve, WB games, to name a few, would be daft. Nintendo aren't the only ones to create polished games, neither are they the only ones who can offer creativity and something different/unique to and for the industry.

The dream scenario would be to get a powerful console with Nintendo and most of these developers who I just mentioned. Will it happen?

Sweet list there.

Every time someone argues that Nintendo is the last bastion against the "grey shooters" of other consoles they instantly lose the argument. It's often the Nintendo loyalists who don't actually have a clue when it comes to the competition too. It must be a sad and lonely place, on a console where most of your retail output comes from one developer.

Yeah I own just as many PS4 games as WiiU and way more digital indie games on PS4 and only one out of the whole lot is a FPS shooter. It's a bit of a myth to say that's all those systems have.

To be fair, it is an unprecedented partnership :p

:p

So, what are Nintendo going to do next generation to rectify the mistakes that they have made for the past few? How are they going to get these developers on board? These are important questions to me because it ultimately determines where I'll be playing these games in future.

It's a bit stupid we have to start talking about next generation already because of Nintendo's inability to deliver on promises for this one.

Sweet list there.

Every time someone argues that Nintendo is the last bastion against the "grey shooters" of other consoles they instantly lose the argument. It's often the Nintendo loyalists who don't actually have a clue when it comes to the competition too. It must be a sad and lonely place, on a console where most of your retail output comes from one developer.

It's when you look at each type of game one dimensionally that you lose points, imo. Grey shooters, for example. Well, they're grey for a reason, so what is that reason? Are they trying to mimic a desert storm-type setting (CoD, Battlefield), are they going down the survival horror route (Metro) or are they going for something else entirely. It's when you try to combat that "grey" and say that having colour is instantly better. Well, it's different, but not necessarily better. If colour gives you quirkiness and humour, then "grey" can also give you grit, depth with a story, other spectrums of emotion. Tomb Raider is one that instantly springs to mind, as does The Last of Us.

@Serebii What are you having for Christmas dinner?

I ask because I heard it's not turkey but instead you're having

CHICKEN!!!

chickenshit.jpg

;)

:p

So, what are Nintendo going to do next generation to rectify the mistakes that they have made for the past few? How are they going to get these developers on board? These are important questions to me because it ultimately determines where I'll be playing these games in future.

It's a bit stupid we have to start talking about next generation already because of Nintendo's inability to deliver on promises for this one.

Do what Sony & MS do and throw money at the problem.

Part of the problem is that you are missing a huge part of this picture. You just see war shooter, whereas others see it as co-operative gameplay, huge online battles, players communicating with each other, graphics that weren't entirely possible the generation before, ability to do things that weren't possible the generation before.

Aren't coppoerative gameplay, online battles and players communicating all the same thing? And a graphics leap from the previous generation isn't exactly anything of note.

A great set of studios you listed, they make fantastic games of course. My point was the vast majority of those major releases are either FPSs or games where you walk around killing people in a fantasy setting. As I said I don't blame them for making the same game over and over, it's what sells. I'm just glad Nintendo and indies are around that offer something different from the usual.

I'm more than aware that the PS4/Xbox One offer more that just 'grey shooters' but I must admit that whenever a new COD game comes out I do find it kind of depressing that even when the developers change things up it still ends up being a pretty uninspired title but then it has the ever-popular online multiplayer to fall back on I suppose. ::shrug:

For single player games I still find that the Wii U has a lot to offer even though there are plenty of decent single player titles on the PS4/Xbox One as well they just seems few and far between for me, the last single player game that I honestly enjoyed on these consoles is The Last of Us Remastered which I found to be brilliant; I still have Alien Isolation on the PS4 to play plus Sunset Overdrive on the One as well.

This year on the Wii U there just seems to have been more that has interested me on the single-player front, with Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros - even if its intended to be more multiplayer it's really fun in single player too - and of course Captain Toad; I'm probably forgetting many other titles too but anyway. :D

Ultimately there is room for more than one console in every gamers life providing you don't mind shelling out for it, it has been this way for a good few generations now - it's arguable that it has always been this way - and I'm at peace with it. : peace:

Even though it means that the amount of controllers 'cluttering' up my desk at any one time is clearly ridiculous, it's a necessary sacrifice. ;)

Do what Sony & MS do and throw money at the problem.

Or maybe they should work side by side with 3rd parties when it comes to developing their next console, like Sony did with the PS4?

Or maybe they should work side by side with 3rd parties when it comes to developing their next console, like Sony did with the PS4?

I thought they did. Didn't Gearbox claim responsibility for the Pro Controller?

But yeah, that'd help. Throw money at them for some console exclusives/exclusive content like Sony & MS did and they're golden.

I think that not even throwing money and be on par or even better than the competition spec-wise will bring Nintendo's next console in first place. It has to do with image: Nintendo is catering for another demographic than bot Playstation and Microsoft do. And that's fine right?

I know it's a bit shit when you like both experiences as I don't see that happen on one system.

If you like fish more than you like meat, why go to a butcher?

Aren't coppoerative gameplay, online battles and players communicating all the same thing?

Nope, not entirely.

Co-operative gameplay: I can give you an example right now, @kav82 and @Blade might be able to help out here. Battlefield4, we were in that map that takes place in the mountains, like an underground bunker type of base. There was a corridor we were trying to penetrate and we couldn't get through because the enemy had positioned themselves well the other side. So, there's around 30 of us working together to make it through the corridor, some of us just suppressing the fire, some of us healing the fallen, some of us going around. Working together to get through on that mission.

Online battles: The example above would fall into this category too, where you've got 32vs32. However, there were also times where a small group of us would be just trying to get to an objective marker and holding that base, rather than straight-forward engaging in firefights. In these instances, we'd be getting to a marker and hiding out of sight to secure that point. Lots of different ways of achieving the objective.

Players communicating: We only ever communicated within our own sub-team, which has a max of 5. So, the five of us would be communicating with each other (or just generally having a laugh).

There are times when two or more of these things overlap, but they're not always the same thing.

And a graphics leap from the previous generation isn't exactly anything of note.

I just don't agree with that at all. If you mean the jump between PS3/4 360/One, then you're probably right for now, but that'll change when games get made exclusively for the new systems and the old ones get left behind. However, better graphics does pretty much equal more benefits. More realism (if you want that), more scope for creativity, more immersion, more level of detail, better draw distance, etc. DriveClub is one game that shows how much of a difference more power can have.

A great set of studios you listed, they make fantastic games of course. My point was the vast majority of those major releases are either FPSs or games where you walk around killing people in a fantasy setting. As I said I don't blame them for making the same game over and over, it's what sells. I'm just glad Nintendo and indies are around that offer something different from the usual.

That's such a narrow way of looking at it. You could technically argue that all Mario and Zelda have you do is "walk around in a fantasy setting and kill", which would be true to some extent. Obviously, there is more to it than that. What about the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, or the stealth-like gameplay in Alien, or the quests in games like The Witcher and Dragon Age? You have to look beyond that rather than just taking games at face value.

Metroid Prime, for instance, is regarded as one of the best games of all time. As is Half-Life. Metro is very interesting, so is Destiny and Battlefield. All of these are "shooters" but they are all very, very different and offer completely different things. Some of them aren't technically classed as part of the FPS genre first (Metroid Prime, Metro) because they also merge together with other genres.

Agreed. Could I request the term be used as "outdated specs" rather than the "outdated technology" which was being used?

I would like to point out rather than demand how people refer to things, you could have in the first instance said "do you mean 'outdated specs' because [reasons]". Instead you launched straight into "you're wrong".

I would like to point out rather than demand how people refer to things, you could have in the first instance said "do you mean 'outdated specs' because [reasons]". Instead you launched straight into "you're wrong".

Noted for future reference

Come on, most Nintendo games involve you doing the exact same thing!

How can you group together such diverse games while putting Nintendo on a pedestal? Don't you see your blinding level of bias?

I don't think its a controversial statement to say that AAA gaming isn't very diverse. Those aspects you listed have to be implemented otherwise we literally would have the exact same game rehashed all the time. But then I didn't think listing 14 first party Nintendo games planned for 2015 and suggesting it wouldn't be a surprise to expect one a month to be worthy of such uproar and debate.

Nintendo have an adventure game, an open world RPG, a cooperative shooter, 2D platformers, a level creator, a space shooter, a diorama style puzzler and more racing DLC all planned for next year. THAT is a diverse line up of games. And who knows add a Metroid game in there maybe.

Nintendo have an adventure game, an open world RPG, a cooperative shooter, 2D platformers, a level creator, a space shooter, a diorama style puzzler and more racing DLC all planned for next year. THAT is a diverse line up of games. And who knows add a Metroid game in there maybe.

Mostly fantasy settings, you go around killing.

#PigeonHolingIsForNoobs

Personally some of the most fun experiences I've had this year have been from multiplayer shooters because I've got to join in with friends. Meanwhile, I play Mario Kart 8 online with friends and awkwardly sit there in silence during games.

It's an oft-repeated argument, but not one to be overlooked in my opinion. While you may think AAA games are all the same (spoiler: they're not), there are reasons they do so well.

It's not just better graphics that a more powerful console will allow. It's larger worlds, more enemies, better physics, faster loading, smarter AI, etc.

I don't think its a controversial statement to say that AAA gaming isn't very diverse. Those aspects you listed have to be implemented otherwise we literally would have the exact same game rehashed all the time.

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here. Take the list of developers I posted earlier and think about some of the games they've created. For many, it's about making progressive games, games that have evolved and games which give us some sort of idea of what the futures lies in this medium. It's not simply about "we have to add this in because otherwise it's the same as last year" and I just can't subscribe to this method of thinking.

But then I didn't think listing 14 first party Nintendo games planned for 2015 and suggesting it wouldn't be a surprise to expect one a month to be worthy of such uproar and debate.

This type of snide comment is pointless and will just make others take your arguments less seriously.

That's good for just Nintendo. Although you have to also point out that this is going to be the vast majority of what there is to play on this system because they don't have the other developers on board. It HAS to be diverse because there's nobody else left to pick up the slack on the WiiU.

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here. Take the list of developers I posted earlier and think about some of the games they've created. For many, it's about making progressive games, games that have evolved and games which give us some sort of idea of what the futures lies in this medium. It's not simply about "we have to add this in because otherwise it's the same as last year" and I just can't subscribe to this method of thinking.

My point is that IMO, AAA gaming is very very samey, in general. The nemesis system is all well and good, but I'm asking you to look in a broader context. What are these types of games all these nifty innovations are added to.

This type of snide comment is pointless and will just make others take your arguments less seriously.

Sorry but you arguing with me about the innocent one game a month comment was pointless.

That's good for just Nintendo. Although you have to also point out that this is going to be the vast majority of what there is to play on this system because they don't have the other developers on board. It HAS to be diverse because there's nobody else left to pick up the slack on the WiiU.

It does indeed have to be diverse but they've been creating diverse games since the beginning. It's nothing new. I was merely suggesting the breadth of content gaming COULD be. That's what I would love to see from AAA games. Not the same old FPSs or fantasy kill-a-thons like AC or Mordor.

My point is that IMO, AAA gaming is very very samey, in general. The nemesis system is all well and good, but I'm asking you to look in a broader context. What are these types of games all these nifty innovations are added to.

Ah yes, these shooty-shooty, killy-kill type of games. How do you even know that this is all there is to it? Maybe you should actually try these types of games so that you know what you're talking about.

Sorry but you arguing with me about the innocent one game a month comment was pointless.

Partly because your original comment bordered on the absurd, but enough about that. It doesn't have any relevance to this discussion.

It does indeed have to be diverse but they've been creating diverse games since the beginning. It's nothing new. I was merely suggesting the breadth of content gaming COULD be. That's what I would love to see from AAA games. Not the same old FPSs or fantasy kill-a-thons like AC or Mordor.

You really don't have a clue. There is already a big breadth of content already provided by everybody else out there. Just because it doesn't come from one developer (or one team of developers, one stable, whatever) doesn't mean it isn't deep or wide. I think @Sheikah already made this point before. You're literally comparing one division/developer with...everything else.

Nintendo is catering for another demographic than both Playstation and Microsoft do. And that's fine right?

Are they? What demographic is that?

First and foremost is Nintendo should be aiming for the demographic that plays and buys videogames.