NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Capcom hands down for all the franchises. Years ago Capcom were closer to Nintendo's level of expertise and I'd have taken a 50/50 collaboration. Fast forward to today and I'd only want Nintendo developing Capcom's franchises and not the other way around. They've so many greats, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, etc.

This was just on GAF, from Nikkei

Nintendo may actually start buying other developers. Aww yeah.

And about time too. They've sat for a decade with their thumbs in their asses watching every promising developer be snapped up by Sony. In that time they made one significant acquisition: Monolith. They may be incredible but their firmly rooted in RPG which is a niche market at the moment. They allowed Dyack to squander Silicon Knights.

Each and every one of their franchises is still stuck in the technical limitations of the 1980s. FFS Mario still doesn't wear denim dungarees.

They need a Google-style rampage in acquisitions.

And about time too. They've sat for a decade with their thumbs in their asses watching every promising developer be snapped up by Sony. In that time they made one significant acquisition: Monolith. They may be incredible but their firmly rooted in RPG which is a niche market at the moment. They allowed Dyack to squander Silicon Knights.

Each and every one of their franchises is still stuck in the technical limitations of the 1980s. FFS Mario still doesn't wear denim dungarees.

They need a Google-style rampage in acquisitions.

I agree with an extent, but why does Mario have to be hyper realistic and have denim dungarees?

Besides:

mario.pngside.jpg

It's more subdued in current times, but definitely there

main.pngscreen-2.jpg

Making a character hyper realistic or not is a matter of choosing a graphical style. It has nothing to do with technical limitations. Link in the wind waker doesn't wear super realistic armor and clothing, and we all know how pretty that game is :)

I agree with an extent, but why does Mario have to be hyper realistic and have denim dungarees?

Besides:

mario.pngside.jpg

It's more subdued in current times, but definitely there

main.pngscreen-2.jpg

We know "realistic" denim is in Smash Bros. I think he means the mainline 2D and 3D games. I think in some games it's a deliberate choice. It would jar too much against the cartoony/colourful worlds. You can get away with it in Smash Bros. as it's a mixture of different characters and environments. It comes down to aesthetics, his Smash look fits better as is in the game, whereas if he looked like 3D World Mario, he wouldn't be as kind of bad ass or sit right if you know what I mean. One genre is rated Teen and the other is rated E. I'm going to stop, I'm probably not explaining it well.

We know "realistic" denim is in Smash Bros. I think he means the mainline 2D and 3D games. I think in some games it's a deliberate choice. It would jar too much against the cartoony/colourful worlds. You can get away with it in Smash Bros. as it's a mixture of different characters and environments. It comes down to aesthetics, his Smash look fits better as is in the game, whereas if he looked like 3D World Mario, he wouldn't be as kind of bad ass or sit right if you know what I mean. One genre is rated Teen and the other is rated E. I'm going to stop, I'm probably not explaining it well.

It's in 3D World too, again subdued

super_mario_3d_world_wallpaper_by_rafaelmartins-d68nuqg%5B1%5D.png

1381512525385-1.jpg

Have to say though I hated those denim jeans in Brawl.

It was one of many things I disliked the game for compared to Melee... the move towards grittier character designs than bright and vibrant cartoony ones.

Nintendo are damned of their characters look cartonny and it seems equally damned if they make them look a little more realistic.

Nintendo are damned of their characters look cartonny and it seems equally damned if they make them look a little more realistic.
That's not really true at all though. It's just sometimes something can feel out of place and unnecessary, or not in keeping with the character or their world.

Mario coming home in a pair of designer Levi dungarees for example :p

DCezKAPl.jpg

Imagine Mario looked like that minus Donatello. Would people like a gritty Mario like that? Not in a million years it would happen of course.

DCezKAPl.jpg

Imagine Mario looked like that minus Donatello. Would people like a gritty Mario like that? Not in a million years it would happen of course.

That would be the day I quit gaming.

DCezKAPl.jpg

I'm all in favour of Peach looking like that. :D

DCezKAPl.jpg

I'm all in favour of Peach looking like that. :D

If that's what Peach looks like, heaven knows about that slut Daisy!...

God help Luigi's, is all I can say :p

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Retro_Link

If that's what Peach looks like, heaven knows about that slut Daisy!...

You leave Daisy alone!

Saw this on Twitter today:

Interesting fact - In the time the WiiU has been out, the Dreamcast had already sold 3 million more units. (WiiU has 5.4, DC had 8.3)

Interesting fact - In the time the WiiU has been out, the Dreamcast had already sold 3 million more units. (WiiU has 5.4, DC had 8.3)

Puts things really into perspective and just how much of of a turnaround the Wii U needs. The DC couldnt do it and I dont think the Wii U can.

Also just for reference

Top ten selling third-party Dreamcast games according to NPD:

1) Soul Calibur (Namco) - >570K

2) Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - >465K

3) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (Activision) - >350K

4) Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Capcom) - >350K

5) Tony Hawk Pro Skater (Crave) - >335K

6) Tomb Raider: Revelation (Eidos) - >300K

7) NFL Blitz 2000 (Midway) - >230K

8) WWE Royal Rumble (THQ) - >225K

9) Marvel Vs. Capcom (Capcom) - >210K

10) Legacy Kain: Soul Reaver (Eidos) - >205K

Quite the difference in how Third Party games sold on two poor selling platforms.

Third party games sold well on the DC and it was silly that EA didnt support the platform as the DC audience bought third party games.

March 2012

Not everyone is excited about Nintendo’s new Wii U console. Noted game analyst Michael Pachter said, during his latest Pach Attack show, that Nintendo is late to the scene with the new console, as the Wii U is only marginally more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Pachter said:

“I think that if in fact it’s a lot like an Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate and control scheme, then it’s probably not going to sell well unless it’s priced a lot cheaper, and I don’t think they’re launching the console at $150.”

Later, Pachter compared the Wii U to SEGA’s failed Dreamcast console, which was also quite late to the market and never managed to find a core audience.

“So, yeah I think they are about to Dreamcast themselves. I don’t think the Wii U is going to be as popular as probably Nintendo thinks it’s going to be. Question is, what does Nintendo do next, and I don’t know the answer yet. Let’s see how the Wii U sells, and I’m not going to predict this demise until I know pricing and features.”

Predicting the Wii U as the next Dreamcast is quite a stretch — the Wii brand is very powerful and Nintendo has a massive software and IP library to take advantage of. However, we do agree with Patcher on one thing: pricing will matter greatly when the Wii U is released. Last week we reported that the Wii U will be priced at $299, and that seems to be the limit of how high Nintendo can go, price wise. To better compete with the Xbox 360 and PS3, price would probably have to be around $250, perhaps even under $200. We’ll see when Nintendo announces more Wii U details, including pricing and launch dates, at E3.

That is staggering, actually. Does anyone know how the GameCube compared to both of them at this point in time?

That is staggering, actually. Does anyone know how the GameCube compared to both of them at this point in time?

From Oct 01 - Sept 02 the GC was at 6.68 mil.

Not sure DC was that high after just over a year. That seems too much as it did 10 mil LTD.

Edited by liger05

From Oct 01 - Sept 02 the GC was at 6.68 mil.

Not sure DC was that high after just over a year. That seems too much as it did 10 mil LTD.

I bet that they're counting from a year after the US launch (which would actually make it two years being measured since it came out in Japan a whole year before it did in the west)