N-Europe

Breaking News

PerseusRad

Approx. 2 to 3 hours is the general consensus in journalistic circles but this can be increased depending on how it escalates.

For example, if say the queen was rushed to hospital, it'd be breaking for longer, especially as the story unfolds

As soon as it's fixed. I'll get my coat.

I see.

Approx. 2 to 3 hours is the general consensus in journalistic circles but this can be increased depending on how it escalates.

For example, if say the queen was rushed to hospital, it'd be breaking for longer, especially as the story unfolds

Yeah, that seems about right. I don't know, he question just popped into my head. Do we have a questions thread here?

RE: Questions thread.

We used to have lots of big threads like that, then we culled them all (we still have quite a few, bad/good/awesome/funny stuff) in an attempt to create more threads and more discussion. Don't be worried about starting a thread, we're still trying to create an atmosphere of "no thread too small". Too many members still have an attitude that if a thread doesn't reach 5 pages, it's considered a failure.

Back on topic: I'd say it depends on the severity of the news. Serious world news, I'd say it's considered breaking for a day. Think about it, 2-3 hours might be relevant for journalists, whose job it is to keep up with news 24/7. But for the rest of us, if the news breaks when we're in bed, or at work, or out, we might not hear about it for 6 hours or so. It's still breaking to us, it's still the days news.

Obviously something smaller isn't going to stay breaking as long as a major world event.

Those 24hr news channels seem to have their 'breaking news' stories on for a few days at a time. In my mind, breaking news is something that's just come in and is being reported straight away and it stops being breaking news after the initial report. The point of it being 'breaking news' is that it breaks up the regular schedule, no?

Those 24hr news channels seem to have their 'breaking news' stories on for a few days at a time. In my mind, breaking news is something that's just come in and is being reported straight away and it stops being breaking news after the initial report. The point of it being 'breaking news' is that it breaks up the regular schedule, no?

24hr channels were the first thing in my mind too, when breaking news lasts for about a week! Every tiny fact relating is 'BREAKING NEWS'.

Tbh I'm of the opinion it's within hours, 24 hours, 48 hours, then facts hopefully. It ain't breaking much after about a day or two when the general gist of events have been established.

I reckon that it can be classed as "Breaking News' for the first day only. After that it is still important news, but no longer breaking.

Is it true that the first 'Breaking News' ticker bars on television news was used for 9/11?