NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

We're still 8th! The only way that could have happened was if City beat Spurs by 3 goals or more. Cheers City! :D

(I mean assuming Spurs were never going to outright win that game)

Things going fairly well for Newcastle at the moment. Keeping pace with the top half of the table, manager getting his tactics right and previous has-been players finding form again. I'm not greedy and I'd be very happy indeed with an 8th place finish come the end of the season.

One gripe though, I wish we could have at least one win where we thrash a team. All of our victories are so nervy!

Still, it's nice to be above Spurs. Especially if you compare the transfer budgets....

Edited by ipaul

We can't close games anymore. Our central midfield (especially without Carrick) is terrible. I don't know exactly what Tom Cleverley and Fellaini actually do, except lose the ball.

Also, we do the same thing every game. Get a goal and try to defend the lead, rather than actually going out to pump teams. City didn't just sit back after going 1-0 up today. I said the same thing before. Think it was the game against Fulham where we looked great at 3-0 up and then just sat back and let them get a goal back.

The miss, as shocking as it was, didn't cost us the match. No miss ever costs you 3 points. Poor defending cost us the 3 points.

Random footy thoughts:

Champions League on BT Sport. If I was a Champions League sponsor, I'd like to know why Uefa sold the live rights to a channel few people have.

If governing bodies really cared about the fans they'd at least put all the football in one place, so if fans must pay for televised football, at the start of every season fans could switch to the necessary TV company for that season, instead of having to have multiple subscriptions to channels they otherwise wouldn't want.

Come 2015 loads of people will have BT Sports because of the Champions League and the fact they're getting more and more Premier League games. In a few years time it could be the channel to have and Sky Sports not as much.

I will never understand AVB's thinking. They need to play a striker that scores yet they continue to put Pendaldo in the team, bring Adebayor back into the squad all the while a natural goal-scorer in Jermain Defoe is being benched?

HT. 3-0 to City.

Utter bull. Defoe is awful. Everyone bangs on about how much of a natural goalscorer Defoe is and he quite simply isn't. He hasn't scored 20 League goals in a season ONCE in his entire career. How is that natural? And when he offers absolutely nothing else you realise he isn't good enough. Adebayor and soldado are ten times better. The problem isn't the man up front, it's the three behind.

Still, it's nice to be above Spurs. Especially if you compare the transfer budgets....

Really. We've barely spent a penny in the past three years so please, let's compare them, you will have net spent more than us. We made money this summer. People talk about us spending, but ignore the fact that in the past two seasons we've lossed our four best players - king, modric, van der vaart, and bale.

And yeah. Spurs are having an awful awful start to the season, yet were 1 point behind Man U who have the same championship winning squad, 2 points behind man city who are "amazing" and spent a billion the past few seasons and 4th off 2nd. Absolutely travesty.

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

God, I wish Rooney and Van Persie would play more like Negredo and Aguero. They were phenomenal today. Two up top. Saying that, City can do that because they've got the likes of Yaya in midfield. It bugs the shit out of me when Rooney drops deep to "link up play". Just...no. Go back to basics and have your midfielders doing the "donkey work" and the strikers banging in the goals.

I kind of wanted Everton and Southampton to win, to make the top even more exciting, but meh, it was a pretty exciting weekend anyway. Providing you don't support Tottenham.

Next weekend could all change again. And spurs v man u, win that and all is good in the world!!! I was there yesterday... you end up just laughing about it to be honest. Funny, on the way there I said to my brother I'd rather lose 8-0 than 1-0 in the last minute.

@Murr

Sorry lad, those 3 points were needed!!

We were putting a nice run of results together, then that happened. But no hard feelings.

Bristol football is just atrocious this season.

Next weekend could all change again. And spurs v man u, win that and all is good in the world!!! I was there yesterday... you end up just laughing about it to be honest. Funny, on the way there I said to my brother I'd rather lose 8-0 than 1-0 in the last minute.

Good job it's at the shit hole, you'd never get a penalty at Old Trafford.

#Solpeno.

I was really up for today's game. We did well to come back after going behind twice, but I'm still not loving our style of play. We seem to have reverted back to the days of "give Valencia the ball and see what happens". I miss how we used to play, particularly the last 10 minutes of a game where we were drawing, really going for it. These days, we look like we're happy with a draw.

Hey guise, DAE mid-table score draw?!?!11!?one!

Get off that fucking iPad, Dazzy.

I'm not sure, but i think, i think, Dazzy is a Tottenham supporter, so i don't think he would be too jovial about that result.

Can't work out if we were looking quite good there, or if Man U just aren't up to much.

Great game to watch anyway, which has been rare for us this season. Had almost forgotten how much I love Lennon after Townsend's form this season. Paulinho and Dembele looking a lot better with both playing a bit more advanced. If we can get wins at Fulham and Sunderland, which we really should, the 'crisis' will usrely be over...

Can't work out if we were looking quite good there, or if Man U just aren't up to much.

Great game to watch anyway, which has been rare for us this season. Had almost forgotten how much I love Lennon after Townsend's form this season. Paulinho and Dembele looking a lot better with both playing a bit more advanced. If we can get wins at Fulham and Sunderland, which we really should, the 'crisis' will usrely be over...

I can't really say that either team looked great, tbh. Spurs certainly don't look like a team that spent a shitload of money in the summer. They look better than they did last week, obviously. But, they had the lead twice and lost it twice...at home. Soldado didn't do an awful lot today and looked completely out of his depth when compared to Rooney at the other end, who fought for everything (again).

We look like a team who have too many average players and who have simultaneously changed too many things at the summer (manager, chairman, back-room staff) and not changed enough (the average players, not sorting out that midfield). I die a little inside every time I see Tom Cleverley in midfield. He's competent, at best. It's depressing that our best central midfielder at the moment is Phil Jones. A defender.

A draw did neither of us any good. Arsenal look better than us, as do Liverpool. As soon as Chelsea and City get some consistency, they will look better than both of us, too. Given their squad depth. We're both in trouble.

I can't really say that either team looked great, tbh. Spurs certainly don't look like a team that spent a shitload of money in the summer. They look better than they did last week, obviously. But, they had the lead twice and lost it twice...at home. Soldado didn't do an awful lot today and looked completely out of his depth when compared to Rooney at the other end, who fought for everything (again).

We look like a team who have too many average players and who have simultaneously changed too many things at the summer (manager, chairman, back-room staff) and not changed enough (the average players, not sorting out that midfield). I die a little inside every time I see Tom Cleverley in midfield. He's competent, at best. It's depressing that our best central midfielder at the moment is Phil Jones. A defender.

A draw did neither of us any good. Arsenal look better than us, as do Liverpool. As soon as Chelsea and City get some consistency, they will look better than both of us, too. Given their squad depth. We're both in trouble.

Well yeah, obvs, but I mean, you should have seen some of our other games this season, we've been truely uninspired, uninventive, and boring to watch. Lower expectations than you United fans.

Probably fair to say that people undervalue how good Bale was for us last season. We played for months like a midtable side elevated by one brilliant player, that isn't easy to replace. Soldado has flop-potential but Erikson Chiriches and Capoue will be good value for us, and Paulinho is starting to look worth his salt. No doubt City and Arsenal will finish above us now but 4th is very much a viable target.

Well yeah, obvs, but I mean, you should have seen some of our other games this season, we've been truely uninspired, uninventive, and boring to watch. Lower expectations than you United fans.

Probably fair to say that people undervalue how good Bale was for us last season. We played for months like a midtable side elevated by one brilliant player, that isn't easy to replace. Soldado has flop-potential but Erikson Chiriches and Capoue will be good value for us, and Paulinho is starting to look worth his salt. No doubt City and Arsenal will finish above us now but 4th is very much a viable target.

Lol, you should watch us this season. Uninspired, uninventive and boring to watch. Describes both of us.

Eriksen has looked great when I've seen him. Individually, some of these new signings look like good purchases. But, collectively, it's not working. Basically, if United had signed Eriksen and somebody to cover right back, we would have been ok.

I'm expecting City, Chelsea and Arsenal to fight for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and for us, Spurs and Liverpool to go for 4th. Everton are the outside bets, but they don't have enough depth to make it, imo.

January will be important. I'm more confident in Moyes spending in January than I was with Fergie, who didn't really tend to do much work there. I'm hoping we go in there and do something. If anything, to get certain deals set for the following summer.

What happened to that £30m player that Spurs signed in the Summer? Has he even played yet?

Liverpool were woeful, an assist for a Hull goal and an own goal for Skrtel. I think we know who's getting dropped from that back four. How Liverpool must be worried now there seemingly unbeatable S and S strikeforce are broken up for the Christmas period.

Edited by Emerald Emblem