NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

interestingly I had no real problems with the DLC, it only took a few minutes. But a few months back, everyone reported receiving an update and installing it really quickly, where as I had to wait a long time both for d/l AND installation. It's strange but the WIi U doesn't seem to deal with D/l's in a homogenous way!

As for the more boring tracks, I suppose it is all down to personal experience. I've mostly played the DLC in local play against challenging opponents, and I think the social element there probably makes up for the lesser tracks, for me that would be wario's mine, as both my principle opponents have been able to use the mine kart boost more effectively than me - it really has been hard wired into me to avoid those things, even when I do force myself to bump into them I find myself having to fight a strong impulse to veer sharply away at the last moment!

I too had issues with the download, Nintendo just seem so incredibly bad at this stuff. Updates should have been available dates before the DLC, that was clearly the issue.

@Aneres11 agree with you, I hate these variation characters. I'd much rather they had unlockable costumes for all characters - I could play as Cat Bowser, or Cat Link! It'd free up some space for some more characters too.

@Aneres11 agree with you, I hate these variation characters. I'd much rather they had unlockable costumes for all characters - I could play as Cat Bowser, or Cat Link! It'd free up some space for some more characters too.

It's a good point. I'd rather the baby/metal/animal suit variations were unlockable character costumes - even if they alter the stats, the character remains. Just thinking.. a metal bowser/DK for example.. = super heavy weight? :D and a baby toad = super light weight? that would add a little for MK9.. I think Nintendo should do it!

I was sat next to @Aneres11 whilst it was downloading and can indeed confirm it was torture...

That zelda track - amazing, loved the sound of getting the rupees n such!

The downloading was a pain. I didn't time it but I know it was at least half an hour from start to finish. For the next pack they should do the pre loading thng that they're starting with Smash Bros.

Re the tracks, they're all good. I've gone from my initial impressions of Ice Ice Outpost being muck to quite liking it now. A few of those shortcuts are very difficult to pull off and in a frantic race I don't think they're worth the risk. I only use the easiest shortcut.

I'd say Dragon Driftway is my least favourite now. I think the music is wonderful though.

Rainbow Road has to be wider to accommodate 12 players and it does narrow at certain points. I really like it and I HATE Rainbow Roads generally. The colours are a treat for the eyes.

That shortcut over the Master Sword in Hyrule Circuit is pure genius. I'd like more of that in the next pack. Missing hitting a crystal hoping that someone behind you will hit it, taking the gamble, go for it and either splat or success.

I think it's a brilliant DLC pack and I can't wait for the next one. There's so many nice little touches everywhere from the Shy Guys mining to the beat of the music, the iceberg breaking off at the start of Ice Ice Outpost, the music at the end of Mute City or the the rupees and the chime in Hyrule Circuit. And one time I could have sworn I saw Yoshi's image in the clouds on Yoshis Circuit as I was blazing around. Never seen it since and the clouds are static but I couldn't find it again. Very strange.

I find it interesting how many people struggled with downloading it, because I was able to download mine in less than 10 minutes.

That being said, my favourite track might be either the F-Zero one or Wario's Gold Mine. Wario's Gold Mine was hell of a track in Wii, but this time, it's easier and still super fun!

I am rocking Tanooki Mario with the Blue Falcon. The Blue Falcon has fantastic speed and while turns can be quite hard, I have gotten used to them fairly quickly.

What's also pretty funny, in online gaming, it always turns out that many people use Link (which is awesome), but a lot of the time, I ended up racing with people, where at least 50% of them had Link :D

I've never had a problem with any downloading. It works better than any console I've used before and pretty much invisible.

This was a little problematic, when I got up it had downloaded the dlc but not the update. However, I went to work, came back and it was downloaded, installed and I jumped straight into the game.

And I also don't understand the ice level bashing, it's not as wow as the other new ones but it's a great track!

And I also don't understand the ice level bashing, it's not as wow as the other new ones but it's a great track!

Oh no. Noo no no. :shakehead

Wario's Gold Mine is a great track. The Yoshi Circuit is it? - Is a great track.

F-Zero and Hyrule are great tracks.

The ice one is so... :blank:

However, I'd take it over the sodding Electrodome any day! :laughing:

I don't think Ice Ice Outpost is bad, but compared to the others, it's a bit bland.

I like Ice Ice Outpost, apart from having the coolest name of the lot, it looks really nice and has narrow tracks, something that's always welcome.

I like Ice Ice Outpost, apart from having the coolest name of the lot, it looks really nice and has narrow tracks, something that's always welcome.

It's also a great track for powersliding!

Like all tracks in this DLC :bowdown:

Not to mention that the name is a nice little nod to Paper Mario's Dry Dry Outpost.

Guys, it's a good track. Don't let the insanity of the crossover tracks blind you to it.

Wll sorry for having my opinion that it's a shit track. :p

But it really is one of the worst imo. And that's comparing it to allll of the tracks in this game. For me, it doesn't go anywhere. It isn't graphically stunning like Cloudtop Cruise (I can't remember if that's it's official name :heh: ), the Dolphin Shoal one and others, it's just :blank:

It's like my hatred for Electrodome though. Some think it's the best track in the game :o so what do I know?! :D

The worst track in the game is piranha plant way, it was the worst on mk7 too, no idea why they thought it'd be good to bring it back immediately... Also hate the desert themed courses, all of them, and rainbow road n64 is great, but one lap kind of ruins it.

So, anyone think they'll release a battle mode arena pack dkc inbetween the two announced DLC?

So, anyone think they'll release a battle mode arena pack dkc inbetween the two announced DLC?

Nope.

They stopped caring about Battle mode since DS, which had the best battle mode.

Then they clearly thought, "We've peaked. Might as well not bother now."

I hope they ditch 3 lap tracks in MK9 and make them all 1 long course like the masterpiece that is Mount Wario.

I hope they ditch 3 lap tracks in MK9 and make them all 1 long course like the masterpiece that is Mount Wario.

Yeah Mount Wario is sooooooooooooooooooo good, it's unbelievable.

Maybe my alltime favourite.

(next to baby park for obvious reasons ;))

It would also open up a lot of creative possibilities by having a start and end point, as we saw in Mount Wario: starting in a helicopter and finishing at the finish line, complete with arena-like crowd.

Music of Mario Kart videos just went up on the Youtubes for the DLC tracks:

So which retro track would you guys like to make a return in the next DLC pack?

I would like Baby Park and Banshee Boardwalk.

Frappe Snowland, Wario Stadium, Wario Colosseum, Dino Dino Jungle, DK Mountain, Bowsers Castle (GC), Maple Treeway, Mushroom Gorge and Toad's Factory are also fine. :indeed:

So which retro track would you guys like to make a return in the next DLC pack?

I would like Baby Park and Banshee Boardwalk.

Frappe Snowland, Wario Stadium, Wario Colosseum, Dino Dino Jungle, DK Mountain, Bowsers Castle (GC), Maple Treeway, Mushroom Gorge and Toad's Factory are also fine. :indeed:

Maybe ghost valley 1 and koopa beach 1, mario circuit 4 from snes, bowsers castle from double dash, peach gardens from DS.

We have an animal crossing themed track in the next dlc, I presume that's about all we know about the tracks?

I'd loved Wario Stadium as long as they don't stop us sending people back half the lap towards the end. That was always great fun. I'd love to see Choco Mountain back too. To be honest I'm up for any SNES or N64 tracks to return.

DS Waluigi Pinball, N64 Choco Mountain and N64 Bowser's Castle would be awesome.

My thoughts on the DLC tracks:

GCN Yoshi Circuit: Lots of great corners. Was great on the GameCube, still great now.

Excitebike Arena: Simple layout but the changing jumps are great.

Dragon Driftway: Lots of winding turns and good use of gravity. The jump shortcut which is actually "off-road" caught me out a few times.

Mute City: Feels like F-Zero, looks like F-Zero. Brilliant track.

Wii Wario's Gold Mine: It's OK. Not much to say about it, wasn't a good track to begin with, still isn't.

SNES Rainbow Road: I detested this in MK7. I actually really enjoy it here.

Ice Ice Outpost: The dual narrow paths are great, as well as the tricky shortcuts.

Hyrule Castle: Looks lovely, the "puzzle" is a nice touch and it's overall a fantastic track.

In short: Wario's Gold Mine is the only average one, but the rest are great.

Considering the SNES courses look stunning re-imagined, the retro tracks I'd love to see in future DLC:

Chocoisland2.png

Bowsercastle3.png

Ghostvalley1.PNG

VanillaLake2.png