NEurope

(I believe a few people on here have a nexus 4 so thought I'd make this a thread)

So having had my Lumia 620 for about a month the screen has cracked following a fall of about a foot, and whilst the display is still fine the touchscreen wont respond on the top half of the screen. So, that is shit, must have been made out of very poor quality glass.

Anyway so I'm thinking I'll either replace it with the 520, as that is only £100, or I might splash out on a nexus. I have the 7 and it is brilliant, but I'm not really sure if it's worth having both or if they're too similar.

Two questions specifically

- How is the build quality / durability? I don't trust myself with anything fragile. Is the screen Gorilla glass? Anyone had any problems?

- What can a high spec phone like the nexus do that a budget smartphone can't do, these days? I don't necessarily need something with video etc as I have the nexus 7.

Well, the Nexus 4 runs really smooth compared to a lower spec and older iPhone I had. Regarding the screen, I do have a small scratch across the bottom left that I have no idea how I got (possibly some loose change), but it really is very small. It's built really well and has a brilliantly bright and sharp screen. I'd definitely recommend it. :)

A phone having Gorilla glass won't stop it from cracking when you drop it. It all depends on how the phone hits the ground, the material of the surface etc. So no matter how much or how little you pay for a phone, you always risk breaking the screen.

I wish I could comment on the Nexus 4 right now, but I am still waiting for mine (stupid deliveries only happening when I am at work, grrr). =(

The glass is pretty easy to break if you don't have a case, especially since it has glass on both sides. Regardless though, it's a fantastic phone with an amazing price.

Havent had any issues with the glass on my Nexus 4 scratching or breaking. The only real issue with that glass is that its so damn polished that you put it on any slightly slanted area and it will start to slide. I ended up leaving the back plastic on mine so it stays put.

No scratches on mine. I bought the bumper just in case though. Newer Nexus 4's have little feet to stop them sliding around although mine never did before I got the bumper. Just need to be careful with it. :)

Phone has always ran fast and smooth for me as well, no complaints there. It's a great phone.

The phone is smooooooth. On the inside and out. I have dropped it a fair few times without a case. Drunken usually. its got a few dents in the side and some scratches on the back but nothing on the front.

Its also smoother and runs faster than the nexus7 and really you can't fault the price!

Havent had any issues with the glass on my Nexus 4 scratching or breaking. The only real issue with that glass is that its so damn polished that you put it on any slightly slanted area and it will start to slide. I ended up leaving the back plastic on mine so it stays put.

They added little nipples to the phone to solve that problem.

They added little nipples to the phone to solve that problem.

Yeah but not all the new phones are coming with that at the moment, my replacement didnt so I assume theyre still getting rid of the old stock.

Get a phone case yo, not just a bumper but a leather/faux-leather wallet thing for it. I drop my iPhone 4S on hard floors aaaaall the time and it survives because it lives in a cheap pleather case someone bundled with an iPod on eBay 6 years ago.

The Nexus 4 is a great little phone, build quality feels tight, it's very light (a pro for most people), the screen is great and that thing is crazy fast. What can it do that a budget smartphone can't? Hm, basically be faster, more reliable; and play pretty much any app available for the thing and play it well.

I like my phones naked.

Likewise, but if dlt is prone to droppage, this is the solution.

I assume it was a typo, but I like to think 'dlt' is an acronym of a nickname Shorty has given himself and I'm really curious what it stands for...

Anyway, it was only after 4 years of having my iPod touch that I've taken it out of its case. I like naked gadgets, but they're not built to survive.

Love 'em.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much as I prefer them naked (phwoarr) I'll definitely be getting a case for my next one, whatever I buy - I'm far too drop-prone.

Probably will go for the cheap option (lumia 520) as I don't think there's much that the nexus could do - that I would want - to justify the extra £140. Guardian, endomondo and hotmail apps and I'm happy.

Mine just arrived, yay! Looks so nice. =)

Setting everything up now.

I think I will be ordering a case for it, as I would be putting it in my bag, where it would likely get scratched up from all the stuff I have in there.

Also wondering if I need to get a screen protector or not? Does anyone use these on their phones?

I got a pretty nice case for mine, it's called the Armourdillo

top5-1.jpg

armourdillo-hybrid-protective-case-for-htc-one-blue-p38664-300.jpg

I don't think I'd be able to put my phone in my pocket with that on.

I don't think I'd be able to put my phone in my pocket with that on.

Why not? It adds virtually nothing to the size of the phone, fits in my pocket easily.

AmourDillo might be the most clever name I have ever seen.

---

The Nexus 4 is darn slippery, and I have dropped it a couple of times (not terribly far or onto concrete-like surfaces, though), but there's never been any damage, not even aesthetic.

I got a pretty nice case for mine, it's called the Armourdillo

Genuinely read that as Armourdildo.

Edited by MoogleViper

Genuinely red that as Armourdildo.

Wow...that is...quite something.

"Armourdilido....durability at its best."