NEurope
gaggle64

Random Access Memories & Daft Punk appreciation thread

Would’ve assumed this would have already been posted here. I’m sure there are people who’d want these:

http://www.tomopop.com/-update-s-h-figuarts-daft-punk-debut-on-tamashii-web-30500.phtml

As for their new album, I haven’t listened to it yet, but I can tell I find “Get lucky” utterly forgettable. It was nice, but it’s a pure pop song, and I’ve heard it far too many times already, and don’t need to hear it ever again. I do would like to hear Moroder song.

Anyway, I have a feeling I will be more interested in the remixes. There already was an unofficial remix of Get lucky which was already better in my opinion. I’ll go search for the official ones now, if they’re out already.

Edit:

Official remixes are still not out apparently. I went through Youtube for some unofficial ones I like:

Not too different from the original, but removes everything I find pop about it (note that I don’t necessarily dislike Pharrell’s voice, because that’s not the case).

Very summery.

Awesome.

And another one.

And another summery remix.

Another one with original vocals.

New style disco.

I like these remixes better than the original (for various reasons). Oh, but that’s not even the most surprising thing I found.. I was looking for remixes, but found this gem of a cover:

This guy outdoes Daft Punk at their own game. This is simply amazing.

Edited by Sméagol

Speaking of covers, I found this pretty chill cover of Instant Crush (with lyrics I can fully make out):

Also this:

1369189738268.jpg

Having a listen through now. First impressions = very nice!

It takes me a while to find the songs I love on an album, Discovery fans will not be surprised to hear that my favourite is probably Instant Crush....

Contact

Love it and I'm probably the only person in the world who likes every single second of that song. Yes, even the 'noise' in the end.

And on my to do list is now:

3. Have sex to the song Touch

So i bought the album and like Shorty and Arab i've not enjoyed it as much as i hoped i would, it just felt a little slow at first.

but the more i listen to it the more i'm liking it, there are still a few tracks i'm just not feeling, well i say that but...how to word this....there are a few tracks to me feel like they are almost like backing music to something, like they'd play in the background on a film or something, not bad, not good, almost like they are designed to complement something

but Contact WOW loving that soooooo damn much

It's a good album, and that means it's slightly underwhelming (BUT NOT REALLY. IDK. It's a bit concept albumy which might've seeped into the DP DNA after Tron). But Daft Punk set their own agenda and I admire them for it, they're drawing on the past more with this and they nail it in moments.

I really like Give Your Life Back To Music, Get Lucky is an unreal tune, Contact is phwoar and people are just plain wrong about Georgio, the narration is fine because it's so simple and conversational, in my head he's a cute old man. 'Why don't I use the synthesiser, which is the sound of the future?' It's cool. Funky shiiiit.

people are just plain wrong about Georgio, the narration is fine because it's so simple and conversational, in my head he's a cute old man. 'Why don't I use the synthesiser, which is the sound of the future?' It's cool. Funky shiiiit.

well he is an old man

giorgio-moroder.jpeg

in case anyone didn't realise Giorgio Moroder is a real person ;)

Oh I thought he was real dgmw

I listened to the album 4 times today, it's gone from good to amazeballs

I listened to the album 4 times today, it's gone from good to amazeballs

Give Life Back to Music, like Giorgio by Morodor did; look Within in order to find your Instant Crush and Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch them to Get Lucky, then go Beyond the Motherboard to find Fragments of Time, and if you're Doin It Right, you'll finally make Contact.

It takes me a while to find the songs I love on an album, Discovery fans will not be surprised to hear that my favourite is probably Instant Crush....

I think you're looking at this album wrong. Why would they waste their time remaking something that they've already perfectly nailed? We'd have another predictable snoozer of an album like Human After All. This is something completely new, and the whole soft rock/prog-pop'ness of it is what makes it stand out as an album. Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself To Dance, Instant Crush and Contact are the "safe" bets, and neither of them really takes off or does anything outstanding, the real stand out masterpieces here are Giorgio, Touch and Motherboard, DP are carving a brand new path with their music. And it's amazing.

Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself To Dance, Instant Crush and Contact are the "safe" bets, and neither of them really takes off or does anything outstanding

Don't forget Instant Crush.

I think you're looking at this album wrong. Why would they waste their time remaking something that they've already perfectly nailed? We'd have another predictable snoozer of an album like Human After All. This is something completely new, and the whole soft rock/prog-pop'ness of it is what makes it stand out as an album. Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself To Dance, Instant Crush and Contact are the "safe" bets, and neither of them really takes off or does anything outstanding, the real stand out masterpieces here are Giorgio, Touch and Motherboard, DP are carving a brand new path with their music. And it's amazing.

In my defense, I didn't say I disliked it because I wanted something that's more like Discovery, even if I did say I like it less than that album. I'm not drawing a comparison, just stating the polls. Although I did point out that I really enjoy Instant Crush, but that's because I found it very catchy and it gets me in a good mood. Yep it happens to be one of the songs that departs the least from what they've offered in the past and that's connected to why I like it, but that's no reflection on the album.

It's funny that you highlight Giorgio and Touch because I put those up there with Instant Crush and Contact, maybe just a step behind Get Lucky in terms of basically being ready-for-radio. Giorgio, apart from the sentiment which is amazing simply because it's Giovanni Moroder not because of any artistic merit, feels like the typical Daft Punk formula (which is a good one, but I don't think fits into your claim of "carving a new path").

Anyway, my point is, I do know how to enjoy an album without judging it based on the artists' previous offerings, and overall I still find this album just a little too slow to keep my attention all the way through. I pretty much love the first half, Within excluded, up until Get Lucky, then the rest up until Contact is a bit of a blur.

Edited by Shorty

This is Daft Punk in 1995

SNF23DAFT3---6207_1732903a.jpg

This is Daft Punk in 2013

627.jpg?7134

Which made me wonder... had they been unmasked their entire careers, would I have enjoyed their music as much? I got into Daft Punk as a kid because much like Gorillaz, their music came with a flashy persona. I think if that wasn't the case I'd be enjoying their music just a little bit less.

On an unrelated note:

Within is a bit weak, but every other song is good/awesome. I've become slightly obsessed with it. Touch is very D.Bowie-ish. I thought Beyond was forgettable cliche crap at first but now it's one of the album's highlights. The shift in vocal pitch is orgasmic.

Remember love's our only mission!

In my defense, I didn't say I disliked it because I wanted something that's more like Discovery, even if I did say I like it less than that album. I'm not drawing a comparison, just stating the polls. Although I did point out that I really enjoy Instant Crush, but that's because I found it very catchy and it gets me in a good mood. Yep it happens to be one of the songs that departs the least from what they've offered in the past and that's connected to why I like it, but that's no reflection on the album.

It's funny that you highlight Giorgio and Touch because I put those up there with Instant Crush and Contact, maybe just a step behind Get Lucky in terms of basically being ready-for-radio. Giorgio, apart from the sentiment which is amazing simply because it's Giovanni Moroder not because of any artistic merit, feels like the typical Daft Punk formula (which is a good one, but I don't think fits into your claim of "carving a new path").

Anyway, my point is, I do know how to enjoy an album without judging it based on the artists' previous offerings, and overall I still find this album just a little too slow to keep my attention all the way through. I pretty much love the first half, Within excluded, up until Get Lucky, then the rest up until Contact is a bit of a blur.

We have opposite taste in RAM, it seems. :D

The first half makes me fall asleep, Within and Giorgio excluded, and the album only starts to get consistently good for me from Touch onwards. :heh:

This album's starting to click a lot more for me now. Touch, Within and Doin' it Right are emerging as later favourites amongst the likes of the first track and Giorgio. I really like how they've taken a new direction whilst keeping their own style; it fits along nicely next to Homework and Discovery.

I actually think Get Lucky might be my least favourite...that or Lose Yourself to Dance. That said, they're both still decent. Surprised by how much I'm enjoying this record now.

That was a nice little thing, but why wasn't the 2010 version the actual song?

Went to a degree show at CSM the other day and they were playing RAM. It was sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.