NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Party Island Tour

Such a shame they ruined it removing the stars :(

at least leave 1 classic board in with these rules please nintendo

still looks fun tho

I do actually quite like these! They were great to play with four GameCube controllers. Whether I'll ever get more than two 3DSes in the same place... probably not.

Bit of a waste, as it won't have online. If I want to play Mario Party with friends, I'll crack out the Wii.

I do actually quite like these!

I LOVE Mario Party! It's the ultimate party game series and there's no other video game series that I've spent more time playing other than SSB.

They were great to play with four GameCube controllers

As with four N64 controllers, but that's the thing, 4 controllers. This game would be perfect for the Wii U since the controls are simple, most likely a Wii-mote + Nunchuck would be enough and most Wii/U owners will have them already.

I know that this could've had an online multiplayer mode but I don't think that would work well at all. First of all finishing a board with a normal number of turns (20?) would definitely take you over an hour long, some people probably wouldn't be able to do that or some may just drop out if they're loosing. Although it seems that they've clearly taken this into consideration by making some boards that will finish much sooner. Also since all of the players are apart then there's no communication which would be awful when it comes to 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 1 mini games.

Local multiplayer would work but it's going to be hard to get 2 or more people together to play this. My sister has a 3DS but she's going to move soon (getting married) and my brother might not even get it.

didnt the DS version do crazy numbers!

Is it any surprise they developed a 3DS version.. Its very popular!

It'll probably be quite big in Japan, but I just feel local DS/3DS play just isn't anyway near as common in the west. Personally if they managed to put in Online and Voicechat like Heroes of Ruin did I think this'd fly off the shelves.

I'd buy it anyhow.

The DS Mario Party had single cartridge multiplayer I'm guessing this game will also let you have a party with just 1 cartridge. I might buy it cause I liked the story mode in the DS game lol it made single player Mario Party fun to play.

Ah right, never had a DS and never played Mario Party DS so I wouldn't know. That sure does sound re-assuring though.

It looks like you can at least go around seperate this time ? Instead of all being Stuck in a stupid car ?

I know a lot of people hate the idea of mini game collections, but the DS version was so much fun with 2 DS's together. Looking forward to this.

Multiplayer only game. No online. Nintendo logic at its finest.

Laws of physics at their finest.

Most games use extrapolation to have near seamless play due to ping. While most of the time it does run smoothly these days, split second acts are just not possible

2D platforming where players can interact, and minigames such as the ones here, just aren't feasible over long distances due to latency. As such, they'd rather no online than gimped online

I hate it as much as you, but I can see the reasoning.

Feels so good to have semi-regular Mario Party games again :D I have the whole series (yes even Mario Party e, which is awesome, and the dreadful Mario Party Advance) and I still play them all regularly with my friends. Now that they're being given longer development time, they'll be much better than the likes of MP8!

Really looking forward to this one, especially the AR games! :D (The AR modes in Tetris 3DS were a lot of fun, so I'm sure that they'll put out some real crackers in this one :) )

Laws of physics at their finest.

Most games use extrapolation to have near seamless play due to ping. While most of the time it does run smoothly these days, split second acts are just not possible

2D platforming where players can interact, and minigames such as the ones here, just aren't feasible over long distances due to latency. As such, they'd rather no online than gimped online

I hate it as much as you, but I can see the reasoning.

TBH, they could simply have a separate mode that cuts out the games that feature players directly interacting with each other (only a small selection of minigames in each MP actually feature direct player interaction anyway)

The real reason why they don't add online to Mario Party is because online just doesn't fit the series. Each session lasts too long and a reliance on luck means that pretty much every play session would inevitably result in players ragequitting before it's over.

Not to mention that it's just not the same as sitting within punching distance of that jerk who just stole that last star off you :p The social aspect of the series just wouldn't feel right online (much like Nintendo Land).

Edited by Dcubed

Feels so good to have semi-regular Mario Party games again :D I have the whole series (yes even Mario Party e, which is awesome, and the dreadful Mario Party Advance) and I still play them all regularly with my friends. Now that they're being given longer development time, they'll be much better than the likes of MP8!

Really looking forward to this one, especially the AR games! :D (The AR modes in Tetris 3DS were a lot of fun, so I'm sure that they'll put out some real crackers in this one :) )

TBH, they could simply have a separate mode that cuts out the games that feature players directly interacting with each other (only a small selection of minigames in each MP actually feature direct player interaction anyway)

The real reason why they don't add online to Mario Party is because online just doesn't fit the series. Each session lasts too long and a reliance on luck means that pretty much every play session would inevitably result in players ragequitting before it's over.

Not to mention that it's just not the same as sitting within punching distance of that jerk who just stole that last star off you :p The social aspect of the series just wouldn't feel right online (much like Nintendo Land).

That's the reason many Mario Kart DS stages were not online

Hmm, does this have online, let me guueeeeeeeessss...............no.

Hmm, does this have online, let me guueeeeeeeessss...............no.

No Nintendo Network icon, so guess not :/

Oh Nintendo, you do things so right most of the time, then you do this -_-

Of course it doesn't have online. It's a game that simply doesn't work in an online setting (it's the ultimate RAGEQUIT game!)

Fake Edit: Oh, I already mentioned this before. Guess I was right again :laughing:

Of course it doesn't have online. It's a game that simply doesn't work in an online setting (it's the ultimate RAGEQUIT game!)

Fake Edit: Oh, I already mentioned this before. Guess I was right again :laughing:

The full mode yes but the mini games could easily be done in a separate online mode.

@Dcubed It's a multiplayer party game, of course it could use online!

So streamline it a bit, make the waiting shorter or let everyone move at the same time or something. Or alter the minigames so that everyone has something to do every time!

Yes, but you could still play with your friends. I don't know about the 3DS voice chat, is it totally crap, but they could include a proper working TEXT CHAT. Like, you know, any PC game since the friggin' 90s.

My memories of Mario Party games are that it was fun to play with others. Thus I'm wondering why hasn't the series evolved to fit the modern online culture, to let us have the same fun with people that are somewhere else? The technology is there, just look at other companies. Also, if the traditional format is too slow / cumbersome, change it! That's evolution right there.

Same with Nintendo Land. They went for the asymmetric gameplay gimmick, but turns out it did not have the drawing power like motion gaming did. In Japan, local multiplayer might still sell very well, but in the West, people do want online. It's been right there the whole time, yet Nintendo won't budge or want to see it. Well, their choice, but again, personally I have no reason to buy a local-only Mario party game when I can buy dozen other games that allow me to play them online with friends / random people.

The full mode yes but the mini games could easily be done in a separate online mode.

How worthwhile would that really be though? Would it be worth the substantial resources that adding online would require?

Nintendo's resources are finite. Adding online would mean that something else from the game would need to be taken away, be it a couple of game modes or a board or roughly 10 minigames or so.

Would you rather see them make the best local multiplayer game possible, or a watered down game with an online mode outside of the main multiplayer game that almost nobody would play?

I say that it's not worth it, especially if it wouldn't even be usable online in the main board game mode.

@Ville It's not about how long it takes to complete a board (In fact, they've actually gone to great lengths to speed up the game as a whole with each game, since Mario Party 4), it's just a matter of the very nature of the game not being compatible with online play, due to the extreme randomness and influence of luck involved in the game. The whole series has always been about the laughs you have as you and your friends get screwed over by the game - be it some bullshit Bowser space you land on, or some crazy Chance Time event. You take that online and watch as everybody ragequits the moment something unlucky happens to them.

And if you take that aspect of the series away, just to make it compatible with online play; well, it's not really Mario Party anymore is it?

Edited by Dcubed