NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I'm just going to be honest here: When I heard Miyamoto wanted to remake A Link to the Past (or do a sequel), I hoped it would use the same graphics, be sprite-based and be eShop-only. Basically, a cheap bit of fun (I don't mean that to sound bad!)

I'm glad A Link Between Worlds is out this year (ie. quite quickly), because I hope this isn't the main Zelda on the 3DS. Ever since I played Pilotwings Resort and saw how well the 3DS handled Ocarina of Time, I've imagined how good an original, 3D Zelda could be on the 3DS. Whether that's OOT-style or Wind Waker-style, I hope we still get one.

Nothing wrong with 2D Zelda. My fear when OoT came out was that we wouldn't see any more ever again. Now we do, with 3D models so I'm happy

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: The game’s logo represents one of its key plot points: Link will undergo a new adventure across two worlds. In one world, the iconic Triforce exists, while the shadowy Triforce in the logo suggests the existence of another Triforce in a different world from where Link lives. Taking place long after the events of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, some of the game’s scenery will be familiar to fans of the series, while its puzzles and dungeons are new. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds launches this November.

This game looks savage. I wish I owned a 3DS for this. Can we have something like this for Wii U please?

Looks a lot better than I first thought.

I liked the trippy walking through cracks in the wall mechanic to access the various worlds. Could have done with the mirror sound effect though.

Haven't really seen any evidence of a 'companion' type character yet. I wonder if Nintendo will do away with one this time around? Though I find it hard to believe they won't have someone stopping gameplay every two minutes having to explain every little thing.

It looks like bombs, arrows will be infinite and rely instead on the ever-recharging magic metre. A further dumbing down of the series or a clever mechanism for using items?

Haven't really seen any evidence of a 'companion' type character yet. I wonder if Nintendo will do away with one this time around? Though I find it hard to believe they won't have someone stopping gameplay every two minutes having to explain every little thing.

It looks like bombs, arrows will be infinite and rely instead on the ever-recharging magic metre. A further dumbing down of the series or a clever mechanism for using items?

I HATE the current/old system that we have for getting more bombs or arrows. It makes no fucking sense.

"I've run out of arrows/bombs. What should I do?"

*slashes grass and breaks a few pots*

"There we are."

How does that make any sense? It also devalues the shops completely. I don't think I've ever been to a shop in a 3D Zelda game and bought more arrows. Why? You can get them for free in the field. Money is pointless at the moment in the Zelda universe.

zelda_link_shop_small.jpg

A Message From Aonuma Regarding Zelda A Link Between Worlds

One more thing, new information about The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was also revealed in this Nintendo Direct. We talked about how Link will be travelling between two worlds. And as you can see from the video, Link’s ability to transform into a drawing will play a huge role in the game. The presence of two worlds like light and dark have been a recurring theme in Zelda games in the past, and this time, a kingdom exists in the other world in the way Hyrule exists in the main world. The story will revolve around the events that will unfold in that kingdom, and I think you’ll have fun experiencing the game’s distinctive world that is like no other in the series.

I also have a screenshot to show you today. This shows the item shop that are common in Zelda games, and the character standing next to Link is looking very suspicious. We’ll be talking about this character at a later time, but for now take a closer look at the items that are on sale. There’s the bow and arrow, the boomerang and the hookshot that are all familiar to the series. If you noticed something strange with this picture, you’re quite the Zelda fanatic! That’s right, shops in the past Zelda games sold things that would run out once you use them like arrows and bombs, items that needed replenishing. They have never sold an item that doesn’t go away after each use like the boomerang or the hookshot. This shop is a very important place in this game, and we hope to talk more about it soon. Until then, I hope you’ll use your imagination wondering what this shop is all about.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/07/a-message-from-aonuma-regarding-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/

Does look like they're trying new things with this game, which is to be applauded. The dungeon items in a 'very important shop' is quite interesting, does seem to point to completely re-thought gameplay. I also wonder if it means you can tackle the dungeons in whatever order you want, as long as you 'borrow' (?) the right gear first?

I HATE the current/old system that we have for getting more bombs or arrows. It makes no fucking sense.

"I've run out of arrows/bombs. What should I do?"

*slashes grass and breaks a few pots*

"There we are."

How does that make any sense? It also devalues the shops completely. I don't think I've ever been to a shop in a 3D Zelda game and bought more arrows. Why? You can get them for free in the field. Money is pointless at the moment in the Zelda universe.

I guess it's a bit easier to understand spare arrows and bombs lying around the place than infinite ammo that appears out of nowhere (ok, magic). But fair point I suppose, can see both sides.

I'm leaning towards the former, although I can see why they had the idea. There's something instinctive about cutting grass or smashing pots to get items. It just feels "right".

It's also very satisfying to upgrade your bomb bag or quiver - that moment when you can finally carry more (sometimes because you've won at a mini-game), and the possibility you could make it even bigger.

I'm not saying it's fun to run out of bombs or arrows, and I can understand why they want to get rid of that mild frustration, but the replenishing system they had in place was extremely instinctive and was thought up for a good reason.

I guess it's a bit easier to understand spare arrows and bombs lying around the place than infinite ammo that appears out of nowhere (ok, magic). But fair point I suppose, can see both sides.

Both systems aren't great, to be honest. I can understand having enemies drop weapons and things that you can use, like if they drop a quiver and you can take their arrows. That makes sense.

What about if you did tasks and sidequests as another way of getting money? Not solely for money, but Skyward Sword was on the right track. If you've ever played Xenoblade or know about it, that game handles sidequests really well. You don't just turn over stones for money there.

Maybe upping the limit for quivers and bomb bags, but placing more of an emphasis on actually buying these items from shops. Or, the items become more important when you do find them, since they're a bit more scarce. More chests in the overworld or something. Anything has to be a bit more exciting than infinite arrows or cutting grass for them.

I hope I can somehow become more enthusiastic about this game in the 'monthies' before release because I'm just not feeling it at all right now.. ::shrug:

Yeah I was just gonna say he looks a lot like a Zelda version of Nabbit...

could be a new crossover character for Mario/Zelda like we've had chain chomps and the like in the past.

Potentially tackling the dungeons in any order will be great but I wonder if there will be some kind of natural order that will be hinted at somehow in-game. The hammer for instance would seem to be item of use for the relatively easy dungeon we saw in the months before E3.

It's no coincidence. Has to be a definite link. Nabbit is a thief. This person has Nabbit garb on them. Perhaps they're selling the spoils of their thieving.

I have a feeling that each dungeon will have items in them as well. The inventory seen during gameplay footage was the same size as ALTTP's, ie. BIG. One item to gain access and get through half the dungeon, another to get to the end and defeat the boss?

Or maybe you get upgrades for items in dungeons.

That's a good idea.

Potentially tackling the dungeons in any order will be great but I wonder if there will be some kind of natural order that will be hinted at somehow in-game. The hammer for instance would seem to be item of use for the relatively easy dungeon we saw in the months before E3.

Surely you'll progress further in one dungeon as opposed to another, due to the weapons/items that each one will need.

For example, the forest dungeon might require the bow but the fire dungeon might require both the bow and hammer in order to complete it.

I'm also worried about how this will affect the narrative. Cutscenes, plot points, introduction to new areas, etc.

I don't know how it's gonna function, but at least it's a new idea. Curious to see how it works out...

The thing is, there's definitely an inventory screen. Perhaps you don't borrow the items, but can only get one at a time. Once you pick one, you're locked into the dungeon you have to go to before you get the next

It'll be nice and long overdue to hear the classic Zelda overworld theme again. Hope it's a good arrangement and not just an exact copy of the ALTTP one.

Game looks awesome.

Why did they change the Link for the artwork? Its so much worse now.

mLL20Uw.jpg

Game looks awesome.

Why did they change the Link for the artwork? Its so much worse now.

mLL20Uw.jpg

The first seems to be more fitting with the original LTTP whereas the new look seems more like the Oracle games artwork.