NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo 3DS Direct + Wii U Stuff - 17th April - 3pm BST

Very good nintendo direct overall! I'm really impressed with Mario & Luigi: Dream team, the game looks amazing both visually and on gameplay!

The only thing that is not ok: showing off Pikmin 3 once AGAIN, without even having a release date.

seriously they should just not talk about this game anymore until they finally sort out when we are getting it.

One thing that suprised me: No flipnote studio 3D mention/ release date. Doesn't really matter though, we know it's coming this summer.

To be fair, they dated Pikmin for Japan and America...

It was a decent enough Nintendo Direct, just not a Mega Show.

Personally, I'm not one to ask for "New IP". I tend to think they got all their best ideas out years ago, and I don't really mind them just building on those. OK, sometimes it's natural to make a new franchise, such as when the GameCube allowed (more than) 100 characters on screen, and so we got Pikmin. Other than that, I don't really want them to keep making new franchises just for the sake of it.

The reason the reliance on Mario does set alarm bells ringing for me is that, yes, they may be different games, but they are making iteration after iteration in the same series, whilst ignoring other (arguably better) series. There was a Yoshi's Island on the DS, for example, and now there's another one. There were two Mario & Luigi RPGs on the DS, now there's another one. And yet there wasn't a 2D Metroid on the DS, nor is there sign of one yet. It's as though Nintendo no longer believes in some of its best ideas, or realises how awesome those GBA Metroids were. It's as though Iwata doesn't really have the confidence to stand there and present anything like that, in case the "new audience" doesn't like it as much as people in Luigi costumes. That's the real issue for me.

But as I say, there was good to this Nintendo Direct. It's reassuring to know Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Bravely Default are on their way. The new Legend of Zelda game is very exciting, and I know I would have been absolutely ecstatic if it had just looked the part a bit more.

It was a decent enough Nintendo Direct, just not a Mega Show.

Personally, I'm not one to ask for "New IP". I tend to think they got all their best ideas out years ago, and I don't really mind them just building on those. OK, sometimes it's natural to make a new franchise, such as when the GameCube allowed (more than) 100 characters on screen, and so we got Pikmin. Other than that, I don't really want them to keep making new franchises just for the sake of it.

The reason the reliance on Mario does set alarm bells ringing for me is that, yes, they may be different games, but they are making iteration after iteration in the same series, whilst ignoring other (arguably better) series. There was a Yoshi's Island on the DS, for example, and now there's another one. There were two Mario & Luigi RPGs on the DS, now there's another one. And yet there wasn't a 2D Metroid on the DS, nor is there sign of one yet. It's as though Nintendo no longer believes in some of its best ideas, or realises how awesome those GBA Metroids were. It's as though Iwata doesn't really have the confidence to stand there and present anything like that, in case the "new audience" doesn't like it as much as people in Luigi costumes. That's the real issue for me.

But as I say, there was good to this Nintendo Direct. It's reassuring to know Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Bravely Default are on their way. The new Legend of Zelda game is very exciting, and I know I would have been absolutely ecstatic if it had just looked the part a bit more.

You need to look at it from a business perspective

Mario related games sell

Metroid ones, as much as we'd like them to, don't sell well.

With Nintendo just coming off of two years of losses, having just returned to profit, and them setting up a ridiculously high target to achieve (why the hell do they keep doing this?), they are just going with what they know people want and will buy

To be fair, they dated Pikmin for Japan and America...

I know that :), but it wouldn't be the first time Europe has to wait a couple more months.....

They should have given Europe a release date too, and not anouncing one here just makes me more suspicious we'll have to wait even longer.

Also, August isn't the WiiU launch window anymore XD

Edited by M_rock

Mario.. Mario.. Mario.. Luigi.. Mario.. Mario.. Zelda.. Zelda.. Zelda..

Come on, Nintendo.. you have so much more!

What, like:

Donkey Kong.. Yoshi's Island.. Pikmin.. EarthBound.. Fire Emblem.. Animal Crossing.. Professor Layton..

;)

I thought it was a pretty good ND really. Surprised there was nothing about 3DS Miiverse or Flipnote 3D though. :blank:

Since when do Nintendo Published games count as First Party games created by Nintendo?

Yeah lol. That list made me laugh, good ol' Serebii.

Yeah lol. That list made me laugh, good ol' Serebii.

I didn't compile it, I just figured why bother when someone had done it, albeit with some factual errors

Besides, many people do that for "first party" games on the 360 and PS3

The problem is that Nintendo tends to keep new franchises small. They rarely seem to be putting their "all" into them - and we know they can do better.

That's why most people forget about them.

Then again, for some people, simply making a new franchise on a handheld counts as "not giving their all".

Here we go, an actual list of Nintendo developed or Nintendo funded new IPs that have come since 2004

Fossil Hunters

Soma Bringer

ASH

The Last Story

Pandora's Tower

Wii Sports

Wii Fit

Wii Music

Wii Play

Wii Party

Dillion's Rolling Western

Sakura Samurai

Crashmo

Xenoblade

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Nintendogs

Brain Training

Endless Ocean

Kiki Trick

Line Attack Heroes

Rock N Roll Climber

Fluidity

Another Code

Electro Plankton

Ouendan

Magnetica

Hotel Dusk

Style Savvy

Sing Party

The Wonderful 101

Harmo Knight

Pretty sure that's missing some too

Wait, does this mean that NINTENDO holds the rights to Hotel Dusk and Another Code!?!

That would be a great thing indeed :D

I didn't realise Nintendo owned the rights to Xenoblade/The Last Story/Pandora's Tower. Pretty impressive if they do.

Here we go, an actual list of Nintendo developed or Nintendo funded new IPs that have come since 2004

Pretty sure that's missing some too

It's missing loads of games like the Rhythm Heaven series, the Art-Style/Bit Generations series, Batallion Wars, Aura Aura Climber, Eco Shooter, Face Pilot, AR Games, Face Raiders, Zangeki no Reginliev, Odama, Reflect Missile/Trajectile, Link N' Launch, Spotto/Bird and Bombs, Nintendo Land, ThruSpace/Speedthru, Freakyforms and many more!

I didn't realise Nintendo owned the rights to Xenoblade/The Last Story/Pandora's Tower. Pretty impressive if they do.

Xenoblade was developed internally and is a Nintendo owned IP. Monolith Soft is a 1st party studio, just like Retro Studios, EAD or Intelligent Systems. The other two were codeveloped by SPD 3 and their respective outside studios and the IPs are fully owned by Nintendo.

Wait, does this mean that NINTENDO holds the rights to Hotel Dusk and Another Code!?!

That would be a great thing indeed :D

Yes they do, but sadly Cing have shut down :( It's perfectly possible that the staff ended up joining one of Nintendo's studios though (that's what typically happens to studios that partner with Nintendo and go belly up - see Hudson/NDCube and Flagship/EAD 3)

It's missing loads of games like the Rhythm Heaven series, the Art-Style/Bit Generations series, Batallion Wars, Aura Aura Climber, Eco Shooter, Face Pilot, AR Games, Face Raiders, Zangeki no Reginliev, Odama, Reflect Missile/Trajectile, Link N' Launch, Spotto/Bird and Bombs, Nintendo Land, ThruSpace/Speedthru, Freakyforms and many more!

Xenoblade was developed internally and is a Nintendo owned IP. Monolith Soft is a 1st party studio, just like Retro Studios, EAD or Intelligent Systems. The other two were codeveloped by SPD 3 and their respective outside studios and the IPs are fully owned by Nintendo.

Yes they do, but sadly Cing have shut down :( It's perfectly possible that the staff ended up joining one of Nintendo's studios though (that's what typically happens to studios that partner with Nintendo and go belly up - see Hudson/NDCube and Flagship/EAD 3)

Batallion Wars came off of Advance Wars. NintendoLand came off of 12 other franchises but noted on the rest

But even with those three, Nintendo were very reluctant to give them an American release.

But even with those three, Nintendo were very reluctant to give them an American release.

Because America seldom buys games that aren't hyper violent realistic gun games.

Sad, but true

Wait, I thought Wonderful 101 was 3rd party?

Whilst developed by Platinum, Nintendo own the rights to the IP as the funder and publisher even if they didn't come up with the original concept which comes under that sticky area of classifing published items as first party IP created inhouse as was being touched on above. Nintendo own it and could make make but they didn't come up with it.