NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Should Nintendo have stuck with the Wiimote? (Th'rip)

I'm not really feeling the whole "touch screen in a game pad" idea yet. I love the Wiimote and Nunchuk combo, or even the games that just use the 'mote like Metroid: Other M. It works a treat.

I'm not particularly thrilled about having to now go back to use dual analogue for shooters and racers. Also, just for comfort, it's odd going back to a traditional game pad...it almost feels too narrow. I'm used to have my arms quite wide apart and having the hands doing different things. Pro Evo was perfect with the Wiimote.

So, should Nintendo have stuck with it: For me, yes. 100%.

The wii remote offered so much promise yet the majority of the industry was never going to follow Nintendo's innovations (calling the controller gimmicky and defining the console as 'casual' to back up and protect their precious beliefs). The irony in all of this is that Nintendo arguably paved the way for the modern controllers through their own previous innovations.

true+story+meme.jpg

Yet other businesses want to play it as safe as possible. Makes sense, after all they are there to make money. So developers generally want hardware to remain stringent and predictable in order to predict the market. This also ensures they can keep on producing traditional gaming experiences for a gaming crowd that will generally be there with open arms. Just look at how the PS4 is basically a PC with the word PS4 on the box...

Nintendo being secretive and then throwing a new controller at developers just pisses them off on some level. They are therefore at a distinct disadvantage from day one. This is one of the prices Nintendo pay for their innovations.

Just like with Wii, we can see the same thing happening with the Wii U from the likes of Crystal Dynamics. Nintendo have made the controller (around the screen) generally identical to alternative controllers even producing the hardcore focused pro controller. Yet developers still look at the system and opt out.

But never fear, it's Nintendo. At least we can count on them to produce wondrous titles built around their ideas. And that has sustained them, by staying true to their values of innovation and fun. Isn't that why we still play Nintendo games and own Nintendo consoles? I don't buy their hardware for the chips inside, I buy them for the innovation and experiences they will become host to.

The Wii Controller:

The Wii controller continues to feel like an accessible magic 'wand' into gaming like no other controller before it. You pick a game by pointing at it and just start gesturing. It's a sublime example of how engineering and interface design can come together to produce something revolutionary.

Yet it's just another experience. The market is expanding, there can be more controllers now. Something for everyone. The gamers who grew up on video games and the OAP's who don't have the time to learn complex controls can play amongst the teens who want to be engaged 24/7 in complex, deep and engaging games. Nintendo expanded the market and that little remote and the ideas behind it will be far more powerful in hindsight than a highly rated FPS of this generation.

And so I believe that there is no need for Nintendo to 'ditch' the Wii remote. It still counts. It's still a great market expanding device and universally understanding to a multitude of ages.

Closing thought...

I believe in a few years time when we have a range of diverse software on Wii U, (and a lower price-point, naturally) the value of such a flexible system will be shown in sales figures. And the Wii remote will help with sales. Especially when Nintendo get back to those casual experiences which have proven to earn them megabucks and remain evergreen. Time will tell but the Wii remote and the Gamepad seem to naturally compliment each other when you look at future Nintendo titles and something like Nintendoland.

Edited by tapedeck

The Gamepad is an interesting beast in that it is designed for themselves and as a concession to 3rd parties in some respects. It allows them to revive the GBA-GCN connectivity concept that they wanted to push so badly back in the day, while removing all the barriers and control/processing power issues that held it back.

However, they've also designed it in such a way that appeases 3rd parties as well (the redesign from the E3 to the final version which ditched the Circle pads in favour of clickable sticks and the ability to have off-TV play which is a lazy way to add a selling point to an otherwise standard multiplatform game) - not to mention the pro-controller, which is a carbon copy of the 360 controller that Nintendo admitted wasn't designed for their own games, but rather to keep 3rd parties happy.

And after all that, you STILL have developers making excuses not to support the console.

Quite frankly, controls nor processing power are the barrier that is stopping 3rd party developers from supporting the platform - but rather personal reasons/egos and business issues are the culprit. The idea that the Gamepad's unique functions are in any way shape or form a barrier to multiplatform development is patently absurd and anyone who makes that excuse deserves to be flogged to within an inch of their lives!

Personally, I'm glad to see them take a different approach with the controls on this console and the idea of them having the Wii U being the swiss army knife of control possibilities is really quite exciting! It can truly power ANY experience that you can think of! :D

The Wii Remote and Nunchuck was never going to be properly supported by 3rd parties, hell it wasn't when it was included in the box last time around! The only thing that matters here is whether or not Nintendo themselves are still fully supporting it and all signs indicate that this is exactly what they're doing - in fact, their biggest upcoming title was designed completely around the Wii Remote Plus and the Nunchuck first and foremost!

Motion controls aren't going away - they're just as prominent as ever. The Gamepad itself is a motion device after all (which in of itself offers new ways of playing motion controlled games, by nature of having the screen being tied directly to the device's orientation) and the Wii Remote is still at the forefront of development for Nintendo. It's an evolution of Wii AND a new path for them to forge onward into the future. It's the best of both worlds :) (And for the 3rd parties who aren't interested in exploring new forms of gameplay, it's a lazy way out and an easy selling point for a Wii U version)

Edited by Dcubed

I remember when the original rumours came out about Project Café having a 6.2" screen on the controller and thinking "This isn't what I want.. I hope it's not true :hmm:". E3 2011 came and the Wii U was unveiled and I was initially unhappy with what I saw.. and I'm still not sure I'm particularly happy about it. If Nintendo can show me some awesome software, as they're probably likely to do over the coming months, then I'll be content, but it all seems such a mess right now..

There are so many control options that it can be frustrating having to figure out what all you need for each individual game and what controllers are even compatible. I'm sure there are people out there who maybe bought the Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U and a Wii U Pro Controller to play multiplayer with their friends/siblings only to get home and discover that they actually needed a Wii Remote. Maybe some would even go as far as to buy an original Wii Remote and finally be able to play.. only to later slip in Nintendo Land and be told they actually need Wii Motion Plus ::shrug:

There's just too much going on :nono:

I would have been more than happy with a new HD Nintendo console that used the excellent Wii Remote and Nunchuk as standard that they could released at a much lower price than the current Wii U SKUs or even made an even more powerful machine, even slightly. Either that or I'd have been delighted with a new and improved Wii Remote and Nunchuk combination that had sufficient buttons to play with traditional controls but also retain the Motion Plus capabilities and pointer that we're all now familiar with. There's be no need to purchase loads of different peripherals..

I don't know what to think any more. There are days I turn the Wii U on and think it's a great wee machine, something only Nintendo could provide and then there's other's where I look at it and wonder what on earth it's doing beside my TV at this stage..

The whole multiple controller situation feels really messy.
You know there are too many controllers when you actually have to stop and work through which one you mean when you want to write about it...

Wiimote, Wii Motion Plus, Wiimote Plus

Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, Pro Controller, Circle Pad Pro

BLAH!

Edited by Retro_Link

I would rather have a console that allowed for inclusion over a console that had 1 control method and forced us all to learn it so we can enjoy the game.

Gaming is expanding and more control methods is a sensible choice.

The Gamepad/Wii remote and pro controllers are quite different. By just looking at them they are understandable. I don't see it as a huge issue.

More control options within a unifed controller is the answer. Not this kind of hyrda-esque controller set up.

Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, Pro Controller

BLAH!

What the hell are is the difference between the three of these?

More control options within a unifed controller is the answer. Not this kind of hyrda-esque controller set up.

What the hell are is the difference between the three of these?

No difference between the first two, except the latter has hand prongs. The last is completely different and operates on its own

Personally I think that's a flimsy excuse and nothing more than an excuse. If they wanted they could have no gamepad support other than off TV play (which from what we know is as simple to implement in development as the flick of a switch!). The same experience is possible. That tale washes better with internet fans though than "the Wii U isn't selling and we haven't got the money to finance a port with potentially little return".

There's no reason whatever why games like Zack & Wiki couldn't be done on the Wii U. I don't see why we should treat having the option as almost like it doesn't exist (don't we always complain that Nintendo don't offer enough options?). I liked the Wii Remote too and hope some games other than Nintendo Land use it - maybe even in conjunction with the gamepad screen, like Pikmin!

I agree with this - I think devs are probably using it as a scapegoat. It's easy to blame Nintendo rather than themselves. I do wonder how much support Nintendo gives for straightish ports too, or whether they're moreso going for the trying-to-foster-Wii-U-innovation approach. We DO need wii u innovation, but we also need the system to get the games that sell.

I do wonder how much support Nintendo gives for straightish ports too, or whether they're moreso going for the trying-to-foster-Wii-U-innovation approach. We DO need wii u innovation, but we also need the system to get the games that sell.

Crysis 3 was made for the Wii U. It was cancelled pretty late due to a lack of interest from EA and Nintendo.

I think the biggest problem with the GamePad is that Nintendo don't seem bothered in showing off what it can do in terms of gameplay. They seem more bothered in turning the Wii U into a home-based handheld console.

Edited by Cube

I hear a lot of talk about reaching the full potential of the Gamepad but I hear basically no actual examples of ideas that inspire. There's the occasional neat idea.

Maybe Nintendo should have re-thought exactly what they wanted to offer with their console.

IMO moving the focus away from the Wiimote and on to yet another controller has been a bit of a mistake.

Who knows, if they'd stuck with their control scheme the Wii U may have received Tomb Raider and other such games that apparently are not on the console because devs feel they need to implement the GamePad into the experience.

I also think ports like RE: Revelation would have come with RE4 style Wiimote controls.

The GamePad seems to be providing devs with reasons to not do a lot of things, where as I think Nintendo showing faith in and building upon Wiimote controls could have done more for the console.

You make some interesting points but lets face it, the excuse that CD gave is the exact same excuse that developers gave for not making games on the Wii. I can remember EA and Activision based devs saying they wanted to take advantage of the Wii controller and not just shoehorn waggle controls on...and now they are doing just that on the PS3. Nintendo need to get the price right and get the newer titles launching either before or on the same date as the other versions as we have already noticed WiiU versions of games being pushed back for weeks at a time.

For me the price for the WiiU is fine, but im not a typical consumer, im a long time fan of Nintendo and im usually an early adoptor for most new tech and i dare say ill pay over the odds for the new Xbox when it hits shelves too. Unfortunately they have already sold a WiiU to every one of their die hard fans, its everyone else they need to target now.

You make some interesting points but lets face it, the excuse that CD gave is the exact same excuse that developers gave for not making games on the Wii. I can remember EA and Activision based devs saying they wanted to take advantage of the Wii controller and not just shoehorn waggle controls on...and now they are doing just that on the PS3. Nintendo need to get the price right and get the newer titles launching either before or on the same date as the other versions as we have already noticed WiiU versions of games being pushed back for weeks at a time.
In which case should Nintendo have focused on continuity and being able to deliver the same hardware as the other manufacturers?

... Carry on Wii's 'ease of play' and all the things that made the casuals fall in love with the console, whilst at the same time delivering for the hardcore?... because currently that which they set out to do with the Wii U isn't happening.

In starting all over again if anything they seemed to have lost ground with third parties.

It's fine to be different and innovative, but in doing so they end up being the only ones supporting their consoles, which is fine... Just don't say you're aiming to do otherwise. And of course if your business can continue to afford/support such an approach.

Crysis 3 was made for the Wii U. It was cancelled pretty late due to a lack of interest from EA and Nintendo.

I think the biggest problem with the GamePad is that Nintendo don't seem bothered in showing off what it can do in terms of gameplay. They seem more bothered in turning the Wii U into a home-based handheld console.

Yeah I'd read about that the other day - seemed to say EA and Nintendo couldn't thrash out a decision on it. My comments stemmed somewhat off the article Eurogamer had with the guys from N4S:MW - it seemed from what they were saying that Nintendo are not holding too many hands in the dev process, leaving people to their own devices and stuff.

Yeah I think they should have stuck with the Wiimote. Although I do like the gamead, I still feel the Wiimote has a ton of potential that hardly anyone even attempted to tap into. For the most part, games just had you mindlessly waggling the controller to do something you could do with a button ( even Nintendo were guilty of this at times like having to shake the controller to roll in Donkey Kong Country Returns)

Games like the Wii port of RE4 showed us that when calibrated correctly, the pointer controls can be amazing.The problem with that game was that the controls made it too easy, as the game's AI was never designed around the player being able to aim so accurately or so fast. But imagine an RE made from the ground up with AI smart enough to to deal with this, you could have an amazing title.

I also think FPS games could have benefited from the Wiimote too, I'd love to play a game like Left 4 dead 2 or Portal 1/2 with the controller. I wouldn't be better then playing with a mouse but it would be better then playing with a analog stick.

Sign in to follow this