NEurope
Nintendork

Keep the 'Nintendo Revolution' codename.

From the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/NinRev24/petition.html

To: Nintendo Co. Ltd.

The Nintendo home console code named Revolution set to be released in 2006 has no official name, Nintendo often keep their final console name secret before release.

The Nintendo Gamecube was originally code named 'Dolphin', with the GPU being called flipper, Also the Nintendo DS codename nitro was ditched after development.

With the massive success of the Revolution codename, and the marketting we've seen so far the Revolution seems like a very fitting name for the console and we'd like to see it stay.

Sincerely,

Nintendo asked for feedback on the revolution at E3, and this is our form of feedback, while online petitions might not have the most strong history I feel with the right attitude and support we can have our voice heard at the top of Nintendo. The idea is not to object to what they want to call it, just show them that we are enthusiastic about the code-name.

If you would like to see the Nintendo Revolution codename stay please add your comments and support to the petition, tell your friends and colleagues who might also be interested in the petition.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Signed (ashley matthews), i agree, revoltuion is a very good name and many people have already adopted the idea (like this site)and, with the controller, it is accosiated with the conole. Such as the ds, has duals screens, gamcube, shaped like a cupe, and so it goes on.

I think it's a good name but I don't think it would be good to keep it as the final name, just seems a bit arrogant and cocky (though it is revolutionary).

I always thought NRES would be a good name for it. Nintendo Revolutionary Entertainment System :P

I always thought NRES would be a good name for it. Nintendo Revolutionary Entertainment System :P

Hahaha, very good. Email them and elt them knwo, it woudl fit in with some previous names lol

i personally dont like the name Revolution i think that they could come up with sumthin better

I really like the name Revolution, but on the other hand, if they choose a new name I´ll accept that. I hope they´ll keep it, though.

Hmm I want to know other possible names they're thinking of, as those could be amazing... or rubbish, so I dont want to vote or not vote for Revolution name just yet.

how about just 'Nintendo'? it is like an anthology of their entire home console history so it would be really fitting.

I can see what you mean when you feel the console's name might be a bit egotistical, and unmodest like Nintendo's general attitude towards the console for example choosing not to compete with Sony and Microsoft with specifications, but calling their console a Revolution is something quite bold.. but they say your attitude determines your lattitude.. and if they truely want to draw a line between Microsoft and Sony competing on every level for consumers I think it would be wise for them to keep the name.

However simply calling it the Nintendo would be tough, think of the marketting complications, and what happens 5 years down the line when the console needs to be replaced? The cross over could get messy and complicated for a lot of consumers who Nintendo has ever so recently managed to entice into the gaming world.

If they want to expand the gaming market, I think they need a name.. what suprises me is that Apple have managed it, but because the iPod has become such a phenomenon and their marketting is so penetrating to the demographics who buy it.. when a new iPod comes out people talk about even the next day, so they can make decisions like calling it just the iPod.

But think about all those mothers who want to buy a Nintendo game for their kids.. and there's 4 types of nintendo game on the wall.. it's going to be tough for them to know what game to buy.. it might not be for us because we're savvy consumers but Nintendo wants to hit outside the demographic of gamers male and 13-28 years of age.

The other names have been N with a letter after, N4 most likely being the 4th generation home console.. but wouldn't this be going against what Nintendo said? that they don't want to keep competing anymore..

The Revolution sounds too arrogant.

Petitions NEVER work.

The petitioners don't give a good reason why it should be kept; Nintendo hasn't done much marketing at all but is hyped by the media.

Enough reasons for me not to sign :indeed:

Petitions can work.

There was a pertition sent to Infinity Ward to add Punkbuster to Call of Duty 2 (PC), and hey-presto! What will the next patch contain? Punkbuster...

Petitions can work.

There was a pertition sent to Infinity Ward to add Punkbuster to Call of Duty 2 (PC), and hey-presto! What will the next patch contain? Punkbuster...

Probably a coincidence.

Don't know if i'll sign or not,Im gonna wait untill I hear the other name and decide if I like it or not,but I wouldn't mind if it stayed as the 'Revolution'

The Revolution sounds too arrogant.

:

Love your sig

Also, how about the N5? Simple yet a bold statement.

Anyone else got any better names than Revolution? (Nintendo-ware Twisted)

As much as i like the name Revolution, I much rather have it called something shorter like Revo or at least something that's more unique.

a Revolution is just a word. A Gamecube isn't. It's Nintendo's !

I think calling it the "Nintendo Fanboy" would be a good idea, since they seem so mouth-foamingly rampant with their obsession over something we know fairly little about.

They can call it whatever they want, I'll be buying it regardless... They can't go far wrong with any name, unless they call it something like the Nintendo Charles Manson. Then we'd probably have problems.

"Just playing on my Nintendo Revolution."

"Just playing on my Revolution."

"Just on my Rev."

That's what I would have to be saying?

I'd like something else . . . ditch the name.

Revolution is far better than Xbox360 or Playstation 34...they should keep it.

Except "360" is easy to say and feels natural. Three-sixty.

If it's called Revolution, I'll be calling it the Revvie.

Well, we had the abbreviations SNES and NES, for 'Nintendo Entertainment System'.

Why not just have the name as the 'Nintendo Revolutionary System' and abbreviate it as the Nintendo RS?

Seems like a logical step, keeps the "Revolution" element, without claiming absolute revolution of the industry.

Plus the abbreviation is apart of the 'Nintendo family', the Nintendo DS, which is an abbreviation for Dual Screen or "Developer's System"