NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Can't tear myself away from the live stream - this looks incredible! Great to have a game that's on the one hand, very Zelda, yet on the other, something so different to anywhere the series has been before.

The more I watch the more the game delivers! Why oh why did I worry?!

I'm so loving this!!!

And add the fact we have seen nothing pertaining to the story and the fact that the area shown is like 1/20th off the full world. Makes you think how deep this will be.

Like everything else in this game, beautiful.

It's a good sign box art is out, means the game isn't too far off.

I love the explosions in this game lol, like mini nuclear bombs.

The bomb explosions in the Bomb Shrine were so cool when detonated, and the fire arrows had a really cool animation too.

And add the fact we have seen nothing pertaining to the story and the fact that the area shown is like 1/20th off the full world. Makes you think how deep this will be.

Absolutely! I was still a bit reserved after the trailer but the gameplay has done more than made me happy. This game looks to be absolutely gold!

Absolutely! I was still a bit reserved after the trailer but the gameplay has done more than made me happy. This game looks to be absolutely gold!

Would have been the perfect Christmas game...:(

Not to be a killjoy, but to be honest, some of the environments look a bit too basic. Hope the NX version will receive a considerable visual bump.

Love the ability to unlock clothes and use random objects as weapons, though. The pitchfork seems awesomely redneck.

Crafting seems to play a huge part in this game. Jose from IGN mentioned when he was shown the game you had to brew your own potions using enemy parts etc

Exactly where this entry fits into the wider Zelda timeline (because, obviously this matters) is also unclear, although Aonuma hinted there were clues in the state of the particular version of Hyrule shown. Once a beautiful kingdom, it has now fallen into ruin. There's a melancholic edge here, born out through the game's moody piano score, even despite its outwardly bright colour palette. Even the Master Sword is rusted with age and nicked with damage. But amongst all the changes, there are clues that this is still a Hyrule which players have already visited. Ancient technology of the type seen in Skyward Sword covers the land, half buried by the ages, and there are references to the Goddess Hylia. From Ocarina of Time and other games, The Temple of Time once again makes an appearance, while the Sheikah appear to be a key part of the game's history. Wind Waker's Korok race is back. And then from Twilight Princess, the Bridge of Eldin, an iconic location also recreated in the Smash Bros. series, still stands - just about.

Courtesy of Eurogamer.

I'm still at work so I can only go on the comments over the last few pages! I'm glad to see the positivity rise after a somewhat subdued start :smile:

IGN live stream host mentioned a lot of details just now, as he got to play the game before hand. He says the Wolf Amiibo keeps save data from Twilight Princess HD and how many hearts you unlocked in the Cave of Shadows. Swiping the Amiibo in this Zelda game gives you a Wolf companion that will stay with you until it loses all of those hearts. You can bring him back 24 hours later by scanning the Amiibo again.

BtRjmIZ.png

Edited by Helmsly

Courtesy of Eurogamer.

I'm kind of anticipating a multiverse.

I'm kind of anticipating a multiverse.

Would be amazing, especially with that opening... Still can't get that resurrection scene out of my head.

So no towns or villages :(, I am sad about it, but OK, it could make sense in this game (I would prefer camps at least).

Gutted there are no towns or villages. In a land that big you should have some.

I'm still not overly keen on combat. It needs revamping and modernising.

Wind seems to effect where flames will spread. Nice throwback to the original LOZ, being able to set trees and bushes on fire and use fire as a weapon, as mentioned on Treehouse just now.

I'm still not overly keen on combat. It needs revamping and modernising.

Combat definitely needs lots of polishing, I suspect that's a big part of the next 9 months

So no towns or villages :(, I am sad about it, but OK, it could make sense in this game (I would prefer camps at least).

Who said there are no towns?

I'm so excited, it looks pretty brilliant!

Really intrigued into the backstory/Sheikah tech/resurrection.

My only concern that I expressed in the N-E chat was that with the open-world/crafting aspect you could get to a point like in Xenoblade where you can't progress unless you find a particular item in the world at a particular time, but I have faith that this will be different!

Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Gutted there are no towns or villages. In a land that big you should have some.

Seriously?

Well, that really dampens my excitement and makes that first impression worse...we probably won't see a nice amount of good side quests. :hmm:

Is that the Deku leaf!!!

The animation for making the raft move by waving the fan around is really good

Basically the polar opposite kind of game to Skyward Sword. The latter held your hand at every turn, it was so linear and the disconnected overworld basically quashed any sense of exploration. Breath of the Wild couldn't seem any more different.

edit: he just rode his shield down a hill!

I've not seen all the talk, but does the temperature gauge mean we'd have to ding cold weather clothing to go to cold areas?

Yep, they just had to put on cold gear to go to a snowy mountain.

The no towns thing sounds like it's tied to the post-apocalyptic storyline. It also ties back nicely with the original LOZ. We've seen structures (a castle surrounded with dark energy) and NPCs so I'm not worried, I think the Metroid-like sense of isolation the game seems to have will more than make up for it. Sounds like this is a story about reclaiming Hyrule.

There ARE Towns/villages, they said they can't talk about them as they're tied to story.

However much I'm loving this new approach, I still want Gordon's, Zara's, side quests mini games...

My worry is difficulty and importance of items - I want fights to mean something, to be dangerous, to demand strategy. I want finding chests to be genuinely exciting and important. I worry finding secret chests will give you an item you don't really need.