Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Dat' Xbox One price cut.

Microsoft, do your self a favour, don't undersell the product. Just remove the Kinect, and pass the saving onto the consumer, it's that fucking simple.

EDIT: I should probably not be so smug here, offering Titanfall bundled with the console for free could potentially see it flying off the shelf, but that's definitely going to cost them some revenue.

Edited by Debug Mode

PS4 sales are in for the first 2 days.

*drumroll*

322,083 units sold. That's a lot better than expected. I imagine there will be a big drop off though in the coming weeks.

For comparison here's what the other consoles did.

1998.11.27 [sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)

2000.03.04 [sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)

2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)

2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)

2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)

2006.11.11 [sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)

2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)

2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

PS4 sales are in for the first 2 days.

*drumroll*

322,083 units sold. That's a lot better than expected. I imagine there will be a big drop off though in the coming weeks.

For comparison here's what the other consoles did.

Not bad at all. The issue is keeping momentum, something that the 3DS, Vita and Wii U all screwed up with, despite strong starts (all essentially on par with the PS4). Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be the case here too.

March 19th:

-Natural Doctrine

-Nobunaga's Ambition Online

March 20th:

-Ground Zeroes

April 14th

-FFXIV

The only thing that would likely boost it from that list is Final Fantasy, but that's yet another re-release, so its boost may be negligible.

But Sony has managed to keep the momentum in the west despite a big drought so it's possible.

Not bad at all. The issue is keeping momentum, something that the 3DS, Vita and Wii U all screwed up with, despite strong starts (all essentially on par with the PS4). Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be the case here too.

March 19th:

-Natural Doctrine

-Nobunaga's Ambition Online

March 20th:

-Ground Zeroes

April 14th

-FFXIV

The only thing that would likely boost it from that list is Final Fantasy, but that's yet another re-release, so its boost may be negligible.

But Sony has managed to keep the momentum in the west despite a big drought so it's possible.

Very good launch sales as expected but the line up to me isn't enough to see sales drop off quite quickly. Will be interesting to see.

When is Infamous 2 out in Japan? I thought it would be out the same time as Ground Zero.

Also, the Ground Zero pre-order was the highest selling title at launch so that's a pretty big indicator that when it actually does launch, it'll will help the PS4's momentum (or at least sustain it).

Edited by Daft

Serebii hit the nail on the head. We've seen some impressive starts in Japan lately but Sony is definitely going to be keeping their eye on momentum.

I have my doubts for the immediate future, but a Japanese friend is pretty adamant that people will choose the PS4 versions of cross generation games rather than PS3. Only time is going to tell, I think it'll be similar to the PSP cannibalising on the Vita though.

Top Five PS4 games in Japan launch week

1. Knack - 322,083 (PS4 First Limited Pack bundles)

2. Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin - 73,086

3. Battlefield 4 - 26,878

4. Killzone Shadowfall - 25,978

5. Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - 13,576

Knack is only high because every console comes with it.

The drop is going to be massive... What the hell are people playing?

Edited by Serebii

Top Five PS4 games in Japan launch week

1. Knack - 322,083 (PS4 First Limited Pack bundles)

2. Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin - 73,086

3. Battlefield 4 - 26,878

4. Killzone Shadowfall - 25,978

5. Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - 13,576

Knack is only high because every console comes with it.

The drop is going to be massive...

Not surprised at all. No software for that market just yet.

The drop will be great. Wonder if it will be as big as the Vita's drop in week 2?

Jeez, a bit of an over reaction surely? The software will come and it's basically got no competition there (Wii U is doing terribly and Xbox....wel, you know). The difference with the Wii U is that no one wants the hardware so even when software came out it didn't do much.

They need to get some RPG's on there.

Jeez, a bit of an over reaction surely? The software will come and it's basically got no competition there (Wii U is doing terribly and Xbox....wel, you know). The difference with the Wii U is that no one wants the hardware so even when software came out it didn't do much.

What overreaction? Nobody is doubting the Japanese software will arrive but before then sales of the hardware wont be great at all.

I dont think having any competition means much. The 3DS has no real competition either but that doesnt stop its sales faltering.

Aye, that's the thing - literally no competition in what it's offering out there. It doesn't matter if the sales drop because they'll undoubtedly sell loads over the lifetime of the console. What choice do people have to play their next gen games other than PC over there? Also the PC is a platform that doesn't get a lot of the console games that release there. I know SE are considering PC more now for their main titles but you can bet most copies of Final Fantasy games will sell on PS4. Also Tales games, Kingdom Hearts...the thing is guaranteed to print cash.

Edited by Sheikah

Aye, that's the thing - literally no competition in what it's offering out there. It doesn't matter if the sales drop because they'll undoubtedly sell loads over the lifetime of the console. What choice do people have to play their next gen games other than PC over there? Also the PC is a platform that doesn't get a lot of the console games that release there. I know SE are considering PC more now for their main titles but you can bet most copies of Final Fantasy games will sell on PS4. Also Tales games, Kingdom Hearts...the thing is guaranteed to print cash.

If you think people are just going to buy the PS4 because its the default next gen console in Japan then I think you are hugely mistaken.

When the PS3 support starts to die we should see some migration but before then no way this console sells simply because its 'next gen'.

You need to read what I said again liger - I said it'll sell loads over its lifetime. By the end of its lifetime, most people will have moved over from the PS3 to PS4. The same happened with PS2 to PS3 and look how successful and popular the PS2 used to be.

Define loads. PS3 is currenty @ 9.8 mil in Japan. More than that?

I have no doubt the platform will sell but I think Sony themselves appreciate they are operating in a totally different market than the West where it wont be so easy regardless of the lack of competion in the home console space.

In a sense handhelds replaced consoles and now phones are replacing the handhelds.

Edited by liger05

Let's not change subject - you just said that people would use their PS3s instead of getting a PS4, so I pointed out that most people WILL have switched over by the end of the PS4's lifetime. Whether the switchover happens now or later, people will want the PS4 at some point to carry on getting games they wouldn't be able to get anywhere else in Japan.

Let's not change subject - you just said that people would use their PS3s instead of getting a PS4, so I pointed out that most people WILL have switched over by the end of the PS4's lifetime. Whether the switchover happens now or later, people will want the PS4 at some point to carry on getting games they wouldn't be able to get anywhere else in Japan.

Of course people will switch but the idea that its a given that everyone switches is false not forgetting that many of the key Japanese IP's are or will be avaliable on other platforms (handhelds).

It will definitely sell loads over its time there, and that time will likely include droughts and whatever. However what were they expected to to; not release the console until they had some Japanese-centric games ready? They don't need to do given the competition.

@liger05 So you think people in Japan are suddenly going to stop caring about Tales, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games? Come on - KH3 is already scheduled for PS4, and in a few years most of the other big console titles will switchover too. I know Persona 5 will be on PS3 in 2015 but beyond that I can't see much else sticking the course (and it wouldn't surprise me if P5 got put onto PS4 somehow too). Handhelds support a particular type of game - certainly not the big titles the swinging dicks like to show off. I really can't see something like Final Fantasy XYZ (main title) being on a handheld in its first instance. They want to make the game as impressive as possible and that won't be on a handheld.

The only way the people won't switch is if they pretty much go off gaming or the series they were into, which for most is pretty unlikely. We're talking about the country where when the next Dragon Quest game hits (one of the most conserved series in history), tons of people rush to buy it and a lot of sickies get pulled.

I know it must have lost people from the PS2 to PS3 transition but the PS2 was a much bigger success. PS3 to PS4? I think most people will switch, and I think more people will hop on board.

Edited by Sheikah

@liger05 So you think people in Japan are suddenly going to stop caring about Tales, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games? Come on - KH3 is already scheduled for PS4, and in a few years most of the other big console titles will switchover too. I know Persona 5 will be on PS3 in 2015 but beyond that I can't see much else sticking the course (and it wouldn't surprise me if P5 got put onto PS4 somehow too). Handhelds support a particular type of game - certainly not the big titles the swinging dicks like to show off. I really can't see something like Final Fantasy XYZ (main title) being on a handheld in its first instance. They want to make the game as impressive as possible and that won't be on a handheld.

The only way the people won't switch is if they pretty much go off gaming or the series they were into, which for most is pretty unlikely. We're talking about the country where when the next Dragon Quest game hits (one of the most conserved series in history), tons of people rush to buy it and a lot of sickies get pulled.

I know it must have lost people from the PS2 to PS3 transition but the PS2 was a much bigger success. PS3 to PS4? I think most people will switch, and I think more people will hop on board.

I didnt say people are going to get sick of those games. As for publishers not wanting to put a main title on a handheld, I wouldnt be so sure. Publishers tend to go where the money is. I must stress I'm not saying the PS4 is going to be some bomba in Japan far from it but Japanese developers these days are making console games for the West rather than Japan as thats where the money is.

It will definitely sell loads over its time there, and that time will likely include droughts and whatever. However what were they expected to to; not release the console until they had some Japanese-centric games ready? They don't need to do given the competition.

No but just making the point that unlike here where people were starved of a next gen console and will buy even though the lineup wasnt that great in Japan it wont be like that so there will be some weeks where the PS4 sells some really low numbers. I thought the first month of so would be fine but looking at those software sales I think the drop off in week 2 could be quite brutal but hopefully not.

The Vita went from 300k+ to 72k but not expecting something that dramatic.

I didnt say people are going to get sick of those games. As for publishers not wanting to put a main title on a handheld, I wouldnt be so sure. Publishers tend to go where the money is. I must stress I'm not saying the PS4 is going to be some bomba in Japan far from it but Japanese developers these days are making console games for the West rather than Japan as thats where the money is.

Dragon Quest did it, but Final Fantasy? I think not. DS was already a runaway success, as was the lower powered but hugely successful Wii. PS3 by comparison was not as commercially successful as either of those two same-generation formats (but considerably more powerful), yet FFXIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and XIV have all released on PS3 (and some on 360, but that's a mere footnote for Japan). Ni no Kuni released on 3DS and PS3 - so at the worst, I could imagine a title releasing on both. Dragon Quest has also gone back to home console for DQX, and it wouldn't surprise me if future offline DQ main releases went back to consoles. DQVIII was about a million times more impressive than IX.

I very much think it's a case of trying to make the most visually impressive game they can for FF. They have gone somewhat style over substance in recent years, which can't be pulled off on handhelds.

Edited by Sheikah