Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Crazy to think that more than 50% of the Wii U's total Q2 US sales were made in those last 11 days of the reporting period!

Really puts into perspective how badly it was doing before then (even moreso than before!)

The "negative sales" anomoly from the PAL regions no doubt comes as a direct result of the Basic Wii U model recall that they did a month or so ago (those are also the units that are getting re-packaged in those new upcoming bundles). Still, its weird that it seems to be doing much worse in PAL territories than anywhere else...

Also, it may not mean much really, but the Wii U has a decent software attach rate at least (5:1)

Despite how bleak the outlook from these results look, the console did manage to do 90k-100k in the US last month; so the price drop and TWW bundle did have a profound effect...

... the issue though is one of momentum and if they can keep it up. Right now, my gut feeling tells me no. Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U and Wii Party U (which you can't judge by its first week as those types of games don't explode out of the gate and typically do very well around Xmas) don't feel enough to me. Losing DKCTF is a big blow and the impact of Wii Sports Club is greatly diminished by being incomplete and digital only. It still feels as if they're one or two games short of a gamechanging lineup... (Mario Kart 8 being ready for Xmas might've been enough, but alas :( )

Either way, that Wii U hardware forecast was made in total lalaland. Completely ludicrous! Not even an Xmas Mario Kart 8 release and free blowjobs for Wii U purchasers could make that happen!

Edited by Dcubed

Is it me, or does it look like Nintendo is going to miss the projected sales for BOTH Wii U and 3DS?

Sure, Pokemon has probably bumped up the number quite a bit, but they still need 14.1 million units to be sold by the end of the fiscal year!

Jesus fuck Nintendo

Is it me, or does it look like Nintendo is going to miss the projected sales for BOTH Wii U and 3DS?

Sure, Pokemon has probably bumped up the number quite a bit, but they still need 14.1 million units to be sold by the end of the fiscal year!

Jesus fuck Nintendo

TBH I still think that's possible. 2DS + Pokemon + the explosive growth of 3DS sales in Japan thanks to MH4 and Pokemon + a strong lineup of Q3-Q4 titles.

18 million still seems doable to me. Challenging, but doable (not like the loltastic Wii U forecast - no chance!)

Whatever about the 3DS being somewhat doable, the Wii U sales forecast is the stuff of fiction. Bearing in mind it hasn't sold 4 million yet in a year, it now has to average 1 million units for 5 straight months until March to reach that target. Computer says No!

Edited by Wii

Whatever about the 3DS being somewhat doable, the Wii U sales forecast is the stuff of fiction. Bearing in mind it hasn't sold 4 million yet in a year, it now has to average 1 million units for 5 straight months until March to reach that target. Computer says No!

I think it's potentially doable. Mario is a decent draw...if they push Mario Kart to February it could happen too.

It probably won't, but there is potential.

God, those numbers are almost depressing in conjunction with their forecasts. Genuinely feel a little sad inside. What hope is there going forward?

They should probably make some quirky sandwich based adverts with a lesser known british comedian or something, really get them sales going.

Japan: Nintendo 3DS Sells 109K, Wii U Sells 2K

This week’s Media Create sales figures are now in from Japan. This week saw the release of Sonic Lost World which performed worse than expected. The Wii U version of the Wii U version of the game failed to chart, whilst the Nintendo 3DS version only managed to come in at number eighteen. The Nintendo 3DS remains the best-selling format, shifting a reasonable 109,508 units this week. However, Wii U sales continue to decline with the console only managing to sell 2,598 units which put it behind PlayStation Vita.

1. [3DS] Pokemon X and Y (Nintendo, 10/12/13) – 229,402 (2,569,124)
  2. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2013 (Konami, 10/24/13) – 83,883 (New)
  3. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma (Arc System Works, 10/24/13) – 72,464(New)
  4. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, 09/14/13) – 68,160 (2,825,377)
  5. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games, 10/10/13) – 50,286 (498,600)
  6. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2013 (Konami, 10/24/13) – 36,002 (New)
  7. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2013 (Konami, 10/24/13) – 24,331 (New)
  8. [3DS] Sentouchu Densetsu no Shinobi to Survival Battle (Namco Bandai, 10/17/13) – 17,009 (61,574)
  9. [PSP] Kamigami no Asobi (Broccolu, 10/24/13) – 12,078 (New)
  10. [PSP] Diabolik Lovers More, Blood (Idea Factory, 10/24/13) – 10,481 (New)

1. Nintendo 3DS XL – 69,001 (94,988)
  2. Nintendo 3DS – 40,507 (59,590)
  3. PlayStation Vita – 24,513 (25,763)
  4. PlayStation 3 – 11,460 (11,643)
  5. PSP – 3,807 (3,651)
  6. Wii U – 2,598 (2,999)
  7. Wii – 742 (806)
  8. Xbox 360 – 351 (539)

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/30/japan-nintendo-3ds-sells-109k-wii-u-sells-2k/

Edited by Wii

I think it's potentially doable. Mario is a decent draw...if they push Mario Kart to February it could happen too.

It probably won't, but there is potential.

They would need to do over 1 mil a month. Mario is a beast but that's too much of an ask.

They won't get close to that number.

They would need to do over 1 mil a month. Mario is a beast but that's too much of an ask.

They won't get close to that number.

Not to mention the fact they've already tried playing their Mario card with the console too. That'll have eaten some of those Mario sales already.

Man, the topic on Gaf about this is priceless. Seriously, how can you defend these numbers? It's one thing to want a company to do well and support them, it's another thing to bury your head in the sand pretend there isn't an issue with these figures or the console itself.

The thing is back in January things were looking bleak. Even then sales were not great and one look at the release schedule showed that the next months would be rough. For me Nintendo really misread the market with the wii u. The market doesn't want it, developers are not interested in it and retailers have no confidence in it.

My real worry is that the execs at Nintendo HQ don't learn from this and continue down a path where everything is done in a bubble. There needs to be real change which involves talking to developers before hardware is produced asking them what they want. No more gimmicks which add unnecessary cost to the hardware like we saw with the 3DS and Wii U.

Good news for Nintendo on the 2DS front over here. Looks like that impulse price point has been met now.

2DS was launched three weeks ago alongside Pokémon X and Y. The machine was on sale for around £110, but last week major retailers including Argos, Amazon and Tesco cut the machine to under £100 to coincide with the school half-termIt proved to be the magic price point, as sales of*2DS has shot up 64 per*cent week-on-week.*2DS was comfortably the UK's best selling console last week, and that's without combining the sales of 3DS and 3DS XL.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/2ds-e...-spike/0123618

Edited by liger05

2DS was launched three weeks ago alongside Pokémon X and Y. The machine was on sale for around £110, but last week major retailers including Argos, Amazon and Tesco cut the machine to under £100 to coincide with the school half-term

It proved to be the magic price point, as sales of 2DS has shot up 64 per cent week-on-week. 2DS was comfortably the UK's best selling console last week, and that's without combining the sales of 3DS and 3DS XL.

£99 was always the magic number, in fact many of us on here said it should have launched at that.

My brother bought one for his missus the other day. He phoned me up asking about it and had to explain the differences between all the different models. :)

Didn't really want to make a new thread for this, so I figured this thread would be most suitable.

I've been slowly working my way through reading Nintendo's release of the questions they received during the second quarter investors meeting, which you may find here (but is completely in Japanese). Usually I wouldn't give a fuck, but some key points circulating around seemed a bit too bizarre to be true, so I decided to read and verify myself.

And much to my annoyance, it seems that the key points are looking to be all correct. So here they are:

* Nintendo wants to preserve the value of games as digital download.

* They want to keep charging the same price for package and download version.

* They will take a lot of approaches for download-only software.

* Special offers (Buy 3, Get 1 Free, etc.) will be used in moderation to avoid devaluation. Used to increase sales and let people try download versions.

* Iwata thinks the 3DS sells well enough to counter worries about smartphones shrinking the market.

* Iwata thinks the times during which [handheld] games were played only on consoles is over

* Smartphones are there, use them to attract people to play Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles

* The 2DS project was initiated with a prospective Pokémon release 18 months ahead and an extremely strong yen.

* Now it's only used to broaden the sales.

* Iwata doesn't think Nintendo and the other companies are competing for the same customers with their home consoles.

* Iwata thinks the WiiU has an family-friendly year-end line up.

* Nintendo will explain itself in regard to emerging markets in January.

* Nintendo is still thinking about if simply releasing the same consoles at a slightly lower price will work out.

* Iwata won't step down, even if Nintendo misses its fiscal year targets next April.

* Iwata refutes the idea of investing more money in third party support acquiral, because that would only be copying the other companies, which is the last thing an entertainment company should do.

* Nintendo has no plans to release its (classic) assets on smart phones. They rather want to use the power of those titles to bring people to Nintendo consoles.

* Iwata thinks him taking over the CEO position at NOA has increased the speed at which experience from America can be used in Japan and vice versa.

* Nintendo has no plans to reduce its staff (which has risen by about 25% in 5 years), but will adapt if the situation stays like it is.

* Yamauchi's inheritors haven't made their decisions about what to do with the Nintendo stock they inherited as the Buddhist grieving period of 49 days isn't over, yet.

One of the most positive points made here, which I'm starting to agree with, is that the 3DS's success proves that there is still space for a dedicated handheld gaming platform in the market (just try not to over-estimate fiscal year sales..).

But one thing that really pisses me off is the insistence that download titles should be the same price as the retail counterparts. Nah, that's bullshit. I've heard enough of fans excusing this bullshit over the years, saying "Oh, Nintendo doesn't want to piss off the retailers...". Bull shit. Steam sells PC games at massively reduced prices, have the retailers stopped stocking games containing steam software? Nope, they even sell cards for Steam purchases these days! Sony is also practically throwing games away every now and then on their service, why aren't retailers doing anything about that?

But the most annoying part of it is that there still is no additional benefit. The services are still patchy as fuck without a unified account system, so redownloading your games on a different console is way more effort than it needs to be. Digital Distribution may be the future, but at least make an effort to show it as a positive change!

I dont know why they say this. The reason why download titles will never be that much cheaper than package is because the retailers need to be kept onside.

* Iwata thinks the 3DS sells well enough to counter worries about smartphones shrinking the market.

That's BS. While 3DS sales are healthy to not be worrying about smartphones/tablets eating into the market is crazy talk. 3DS sales in the West still can be much much better

* Iwata doesn't think Nintendo and the other companies are competing for the same customers with their home consoles.

Really. So who exactly are nintendo competing for? Nintendo operate in the same industry and Sony/MS and they are all competing for the same customer.

* Iwata won't step down, even if Nintendo misses its fiscal year targets next April.

Investors may think differently

* Iwata refutes the idea of investing more money in third party support acquiral, because that would only be copying the other companies, which is the last thing an entertainment company should do.

I can agree with this but what are the other options? Third parties are staying away and unless sales prick up dramatically they are not coming back to the table.

* Nintendo has no plans to release its (classic) assets on smart phones. They rather want to use the power of those titles to bring people to Nintendo consoles.

I agree with this

Why would Nintendo buy a 3rd party and their franchises? They can't even make games for their own franchises never mind other companies franchises. There's a lot wrong with that conference and Iwata still doesn't get it. Learnt their lessons? My @rse they have!

I dont know why they say this. The reason why download titles will never be that much cheaper than package is because the retailers need to be kept onside.

This is bullshit in its purest form.

Read my post above, if other companies can do it successfully, how come Nintendo can't? The only response I usually hear to this is "because retailers hate/have a bias towards Nintendo", which makes no fucking sense.

This is bullshit in its purest form.

Read my post above, if other companies can do it successfully, how come Nintendo can't? The only response I usually hear to this is "because retailers hate/have a bias towards Nintendo", which makes no fucking sense.

What other companies. Look on live or psn. Download titles are not significantly cheaper than package in fact most of the time they are more expensive. I find it funny that Nintendo seem to be the only publisher which is accused of charging too high digital prices when they are all at it. As I said retailers are still majorly important so their will be no games launched digitally being say £10 cheaper than retail.