Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

I personally think Wii Sports 2 would turn this whole sales thing around. Where's the tech demo they used when they first showed the Wii U? Make it online, integrate Miiverse and add to the depth with motion plus and multiplayer using the Gamepad and you are on to a winner sales wise.

Nintendo built a new consumer base using Wii Sports. They would be stupid not to put a direct sequel on Wii U.

Some of you may be thinking the casuals wont buy it 'again'. But just look at the 'casual' gamers who buy consoles for the latest FIFA etc.

And the value for money Wii Sports has had to those casual gamers will play upon their minds.

Either way, Wii Sports is a HUGE selling point and one worth exploring due to the insane popularity of it. At least they are bringing Wii Fit (and I'm hyped for that!)...it's a start.

The only reason Wii Sports took off was because it was bundled in with the console

The only reason Wii Sports took off was because it was bundled in with the console

It did sell around 3.5 million on its own in Japan...

Wii Sports Resort did around 34ish million on its own...

Wii Sports certainly can sell well without being bundled...

Wii Sports is a juggernaut, and in HD, with more events, Miiverse and FULL online it'd be massive.

But it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Nintendo released it minus online and claimed their usual crap that they want families to enjoy it together - because obviously families can't enjoy it together if they know I'm enjoying it with my friends online!

It did sell around 3.5 million on its own in Japan...

Wii Sports Resort did around 34ish million on its own...

Wii Sports certainly can sell well without being bundled...

It was hardly on it's own.

Wii Sports Resort was the default pack in game across Europe from Nov 2009 onwards (so only a couple of months after launch) and it was the new pack in from May 2010 in America. And whilst the EU got the NSMBW bundle in late 2010, that wasn't available in America until Nov 2011.

It's wouldn't be unreasonable to attribute a good chunk of its sales to pack ins. Nobody really knows it's sales potential as a standalone game outside Japan and once again, you come back to the point that it was drawing in gamers across the spectrum thanks to simple controls, simple graphics and an incredibly cheap console. And whilst the Wii U version will still have simple controls and simple graphics, it certainly won't be cheap to purchase as you look to offer an experience that some people have already tired of from their $200 expense a couple of years back - the WSR bundle also came at the time they marked the console down. They aren't suddenly going to pay an extra $150 ontop of the same original outlay to play it again when it's not that long ago they picked it up.

I don't get why people think this game is suddenly going to rake in the casual crowd when the price is still too prohibitive to someone who isn't going to spend much time with the product. And it certainly isn't a game the hardcore are crying out for either.

Nintendogs shifted the cheap DS by the crap ton - the 3DS version didn't shift many expensive 3DSs though. It did well enough but now the console is more affordable, everyone has forgotten it exists - they've moved on. It was the wrong product at the wrong time and sending out Wii U Sports before a price drop that sees the console hit a mass market price tag would be a repeat of that situation.

Edited by Captain Falcon

As awesome as Wii Sports 2 would be I'm not convinced it would be anywhere near as massive. The first was a showcase for the Wii, came packed in and rode its momentum. Also, it was centred around the Wii-mote and all that.

...Now I'm in the mood to play Wii Sports...

Edited by Daft

If they pack in Wii Sports U with the Basic Set, then they'd be getting somewhere

That would have to be a minimum - I still think it would need a price drop by $50 to come back in line with the Wii's cost when it launched. And whilst that isn't inflation adjusted, when Mom and Dad are walking around Walmart, they don't look up the RPI and adjust past purchases to re-assess current asking prices.

And it really requires you to already be in the ownership of a few Wii Remotes from a past Wii device although if they aren't Motion Plus equiped, that's another expense you will have to endure. I don't think this game would come off quite so lightly in the single player department with just a GamePad like NintendoLand does. It becomes more expensive for people investing in this as their first Wii console.

Edited by Captain Falcon

That would have to be a minimum - I still think it would need a price drop by $50 to come back in line with the Wii's cost when it launched. And whilst that isn't inflation adjusted, when Mom and Dad are walking around Walmart, they don't look up the RPI and adjust past purchases to re-assess current asking prices.

And it really requires you to already be in the ownership of a few Wii Remotes from a past Wii device although if they aren't Motion Plus equiped, that's another expense you will have to endure. I don't think this game would come off quite so lightly in the single player department with just a GamePad like NintendoLand does. It becomes more expensive for people investing in this as their first Wii console.

They need to pack in a wiimote as well.

I think Wii Sports 2 will do good numbers just as wii u fit will but neither will have the same impact as last time. Thats a not a criticism as the Wii was lightning in a bottle and would be near impossible for nintendo to replicate that.

Dropping that much money on a console that's already at a loss would be suicide

Dropping that much money on a console that's already at a loss would be suicide

Which is precisely why I don't believe the time is right for Nintendo to release Wii U Sports and expect it to perform as a system selling title. They can't drop the price, and have said they won't, but the cost is still too much right now when even casual games machines owners are leaning toward multimedia capabilities over the games that can also be used - games are no longer to sole priority and the other systems offer just as much if not more since the PS3 is also a Blu Ray player.

They need to pack in a wiimote as well.

I think Wii Sports 2 will do good numbers just as wii u fit will but neither will have the same impact as last time. Thats a not a criticism as the Wii was lightning in a bottle and would be near impossible for nintendo to replicate that.

And I believe that Wii Fit will also end up falling into this same category - the only saving grace being you don't have to buy a new balance board if you already have one but if not... well, it's almost out the question. The Wii Remote is a difficult one. These games are really relying on selling to pre-existing Wii owners and anyone outside that is going to face a costly barrier to entry - more so than the one that already exists. But these games aren't really targeting the crowd prepared to make that level of investment.

They'd be better saving such games for next year when they can reduce the price of the console, and have an idea of the cost of the competitor machines. If they release them now, they will be forgotten come next year.

Which is precisely why I don't believe the time is right for Nintendo to release Wii U Sports and expect it to perform as a system selling title. They can't drop the price, and have said they won't, but the cost is still too much right now when even casual games machines owners are leaning toward multimedia capabilities over the games that can also be used - games are no longer to sole priority and the other systems offer just as much if not more since the PS3 is also a Blu Ray player.

And I believe that Wii Fit will also end up falling into this same category - the only saving grace being you don't have to buy a new balance board if you already have one but if not... well, it's almost out the question. The Wii Remote is a difficult one. These games are really relying on selling to pre-existing Wii owners and anyone outside that is going to face a costly barrier to entry - more so than the one that already exists. But these games aren't really targeting the crowd prepared to make that level of investment.

They'd be better saving such games for next year when they can reduce the price of the console, and have an idea of the cost of the competitor machines. If they release them now, they will be forgotten come next year.

I dont have a balance board so thats me out.

Is the Gamepad going to be an obstacle when they want to reduce the price?

I dont have a balance board so thats me out.

You're only out if you aren't prepared to pony up the dough.

I can get 2.5 years of membership at my gym for the cost of a Wii U, Wii U Fit and a balance board. And so if that was my primary reason for owning the console, it's not a good investment for me.

But if I already had the balance board, or I've already invested in a Wii U, I can discount those as sunk costs and suddenly, it becomes easier (although certainly not easy if I don't have the machine) to justify the extra expense.

Really wish Nintendo had been more conservative with their projections. I am so sick of seeing Nintendo is doomed articles. They're all erroneous. The Wii U's launch was better than the 360 and PS3's for crying out loud

Nintendo doomed articles have been going around for years and I dont think anything will stop that.

For me its too early to say which direction the wii u will go long term. Short term there will be more pain as they still have plenty wii u consoles to shift with no software to do just that so expect those articles to ramp up even more when the Q1 financials come out as they wont be pretty.

Long term as long as the big ip's do what they usually do then the console should be fine.

I would like to see more articles talking about things like 3rd party support. As a Wii U owner thats my major concern right now.

Its still quite amazing that Nintendo have made a sequel to one of the best selling consoles of all time, a console that broke so many sales records and yet the response to the Wii U from people has been so apathetic.

I feel like maybe some of the things Nintendo did/didn't do with the Wii has come back on them and has led to this reaction. More specifically the software droughts in the Wii's life between big releases.

From a personal stand point I got sick of it and in the end picked up a 360 to tie me over between those big Nintendo games. I almost feel like Nintendo are unreliable when it comes to console support, you're at the mercy of their games only with almost zero third party software, so the stream of games isn't anywhere as consistent as it is for the other consoles. I also didn't like that they pretty much abandoned the Wii two years ago outside of skyward sword.

Its still quite amazing that Nintendo have made a sequel to one of the best selling consoles of all time, a console that broke so many sales records and yet the response to the Wii U from people has been so apathetic.

I feel like maybe some of the things Nintendo did/didn't do with the Wii has come back on them and has led to this reaction. More specifically the software droughts in the Wii's life between big releases.

From a personal stand point I got sick of it and in the end picked up a 360 to tie me over between those big Nintendo games. I almost feel like Nintendo are unreliable when it comes to console support, you're at the mercy of their games only with almost zero third party software, so the stream of games isn't anywhere as consistent as it is for the other consoles. I also didn't like that they pretty much abandoned the Wii two years ago outside of skyward sword.

I think killing the wii of two years ago was massive. A new console should come at the end of the previous consoles life. The wii died a very slow death and people moved on to other things.

I don't get this perceived software drought at all.

Sure, there are no games being released at present or in the near future, but I for one have too many to play at present. I am currently ploughing my through Nintendo Land, Tank, Tank, Tank, Nano Assault Neo, and ZombiU (not much time to play this as my son's off school for 4 weeks over the Chinese New Year). I have Batman currently being shipped (18 quid), and I know this will have to be put on hold until ZombiU is truly completed. I have the possibility of buying AC3 and ME3 now they are coming down in price, but don't think I'll have the time to put in, not to mention a few e Shop releases.

I very much doubt I'll finish everything before the March releases of Lego City and MHU, of which I'll pick up both.

I don't see a drought, I see a Tsunami!

Sure, there are no games being released at present or in the near future, but I for one have too many to play at present. I am currently ploughing my through Nintendo Land, Tank, Tank, Tank, Nano Assault Neo, and ZombiU (not much time to play this as my son's off school for 4 weeks over the Chinese New Year). I have Batman currently being shipped (18 quid), and I know this will have to be put on hold until ZombiU is truly completed. I have the possibility of buying AC3 and ME3 now they are coming down in price, but don't think I'll have the time to put in, not to mention a few e Shop releases.

I very much doubt I'll finish everything before the March releases of Lego City and MHU, of which I'll pick up both.

And if one already bought those games when they were originally released on other consoles? Then what?

I'm totally with you on this one, mon frère.

I haven't had much problems with a so-called 'drought' since, ....hmmm....since the start of the Wii and DS I reckon.

Good lord are there loads of games out there!

What I've come to understand is that, when people on this forum talk about a drought, they are either talking about NINTENDO having trouble with pumping out games at a steady rate (which all makes us feel sad for NINTENDO) or they are talking about how they've literally played nearly all the games they wanted to play.

I understand that this is a business in a system I so very much loath, and therefore NINTENDO and other developers have to work under an insane amount of stress from time to time to gain a profit. But damnit people, it's shouldn't be this way....it shouldn't be this way.

I couldn't agree more. I have four games, and there's another three on the shelves now that I want!

Latest UK Top 40

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 2 February 2013

LW TW Title Format Label Publisher

- 1 NI NO KUNI: WRATH OF THE WHITE WITCH PS3 NAMCO BANDAI GAMES NAMCO BANDAI GAMES

1 2 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

2 3 FIFA 13 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

5 4 FAR CRY 3 XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

4 5 FIFA 13 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

3 6 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

7 7 JUST DANCE 4 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

- 8 HITMAN: HD TRILOGY XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

6 9 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 PC SEGA SEGA

11 10 FAR CRY 3 PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

12 11 HALO 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

15 12 FORZA HORIZON XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

10 13 ASSASSIN'S CREED III XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

8 14 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

- 15 HITMAN: HD TRILOGY PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

17 16 ASSASSIN'S CREED III PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

19 17 HITMAN ABSOLUTION XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

14 18 FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

- 19 ABBA: YOU CAN DANCE WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

18 20 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

21 21 GRAN TURISMO 5 ACADEMY EDITION PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

22 22 HITMAN ABSOLUTION PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

16 23 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

9 24 DMC XB360 CAPCOM CAPCOM

20 25 PAPER MARIO STICKER STAR 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

13 26 DMC PS3 CAPCOM CAPCOM

23 27 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

27 28 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS TAKE 2

25 29 MARIO KART 7 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

37 30 UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION GOTY PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

24 31 DISHONORED XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

28 32 BORDERLANDS 2 XB360 2K GAMES TAKE 2

29 33 WWE '13 XB360 THQ THQ

30 34 SUPER MARIO 3D LAND 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

- 35 SLEEPING DOGS XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

- 36 SKYLANDERS GIANTS WII SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

36 37 DEAD ISLAND GOTY EDITION XB360 DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA

- 38 SLEEPING DOGS PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

34 39 WWE '13 PS3 THQ THQ

31 40 MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

WOAH! Ni-No-Kuni at No1!? No way! :o

Granted, the actual numbers are probably still very low, but just wow! It's amazing to look at! :D

Fifa sold 17.6k and Ni-No-Kuni beat it by a maximum of 500 units so it sold no more than 18.1k

An indicator of how the UK market is right now and makes you wonder what numbers the games at the bottom of the chart are selling? The fact that the Vita and Wii U haven’t had any software in this chart for weeks now really isn’t a good look for either system.