NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

One of the best things for DOMS and is actual exercise. It may sound crazy but getting your muscles warmed back up again and moving eases the pain and can promote quicker healing. Obviously you would't follow up a heavy leg day with another heavy leg but some simple exercise like a run or some cycling.

Breaks between sets all depends on what you're aiming for. If you're lifting heavy weights then you should be struggling to finish your last rep, so the break is absolutely needed. Where as you might superset and create a little circuit if you wanted to burn some fat.

Well I do take fairly short breaks, but thought you shouldn't leave them too short because your body needs the rest. I don't know, it's all science.

Leg daaay. Started off terribly with my squatting, which wasn't great. I'm thinking doing it later in the week when I'm a bit pooped out with work was a bad idea. I'm going deeper but struggled with anything over 80kg today. Legs wouldn't have it. Might try again on Sunday.

Session got better with the calf and hamstring work. Feel knackered, though.

If you're still able to think after a set, you're either not working hard enough, or you are taking too long of a break. There's no reason why you should take long breaks unless you are lifting HEAVY. By all means take breaks when you need them but if you feel fine to carry on, then do.

Most of the time I'll only reset my form between sets, just by standing up and giving the shoulders etc a bit of a stretch.

If you're still able to think after a set, you're either not working hard enough, or you are taking too long of a break.

Wait...we're supposed to work so hard we go dumb?

On the subject of breaks, it really depends on what you're going for and how much your body can handle. (basically what JonSt said)

My times vary depending on the exercises. For squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses and bench presses, I need a decent bit of rest time between each set, particularly for the deadlifts. It takes a lot out of me. Plus, you want to mentally prepare yourself for the next set. You need to maintain that control, because you always need to be in control of the weight. If you shorten the rest times too much, you run the risk of not actually being ready for the next set.

The opposite end of the scale features the gym guyzzz who go there in small groups and use a machine or bench in rotation and have about a 15 minute rest break between sets. :p Don't do that. A minute or two to catch your breath and prepare yourself (if you're going heavy) is more than enough time. You don't need more than that. If you're going lighter and supersetting, then the rest times will be a great deal shorter.

Massive advantage of working out at home: You lift when you are ready. No pressure to get the sets over with so next guy can use the bench/machine/weights.

Plus, you want to mentally prepare yourself for the next set.

Definitely do this especially before the next squat set

Definitely do this especially before the next squat set

Yeah...it can be dangerous if you rush into that without resting properly.

Speaking of squats: I went on a tour of the new fitness club where I'll be playing squash. I noticed somebody was at the squat stand and they weren't using it for a curling rack, ahaaa. Somebody was using it to perform quarter squats, if that. At least they'll be able to walk tomorrow. :p

Did some flat benching today for chest daaay. My bench press isn't good at all, I've always struggled in this area. Managed to perform a few sets at 73kg, though, so hopefully will be able to do moar next time. The goal is to get to 80 by the beginning of April.

First squash session yesterday! It was fun, but it showed how unfit I am right now haha. Was already exhausted after 15 minutes so my pacing slowed down a lot after that (and I didn't win any more games after that, boooh).

But fun and looking forward to another one on Wednesday! Even though my legs are a bit sore today... but that'll only get better. =)

For lunch I had a slice of nut fudge cake. And today I had my second double kebab and chips this week.

I don't think I'm very good at this diet malarkey.

For lunch I had a slice of nut fudge cake. And today I had my second double kebab and chips this week.

I don't think I'm very good at this diet malarkey.

You doing anything to burn eet off? Also, cake. Mmm.

Squash was fun yesterday. Back day todaaay. Deadlifted 118kg for 4 reps, couldn't quite make 5. Happy with that, it's the most I've lifted for a long while. Closer to breaking my own best of 120 for 5. :D

I'm pooped.

Squash was fun yesterday. Back day todaaay. Deadlifted 118kg for 4 reps, couldn't quite make 5. Happy with that, it's the most I've lifted for a long while. Closer to breaking my own best of 120 for 5. :D

I'm pooped.

That's pretty good going. I hit 110kg for six at the weekend and increased my 12 rep and 8 rep sets to 55kg and 80kg respectively.

With that though, I felt like I was really on the limit of what I can do so I'm going to be working on minimising the gap between my lighter sets and my heaviest one before trying to push my max any deal further.

Like I said, I'm not very good at this.

The key is to substitute all of the stuff that's bad for you with chicken. :p

The diet is a hard one to get right. I love my chicken, fish and eggs so went through a good phase in the summer where I lost a fair bit of weight. Nothing dramatic, but about 8kg.

That's pretty good going. I hit 110kg for six at the weekend and increased my 12 rep and 8 rep sets to 55kg and 80kg respectively.

With that though, I felt like I was really on the limit of what I can do so I'm going to be working on minimising the gap between my lighter sets and my heaviest one before trying to push my max any deal further.

That's good, as well. I don't really do 12 or 8 rep sets for anything anymore, except maybe for curls or front shoulder raises. Everything else is 5 reps. Except for calves where I go for higher volume.

That second paragraph is what I'm looking at doing, too. It's the "middle" sets that tire you out, too. The working sets where it's not light, but it's not really pushing you beyond your limit either. I could have ditched one of my other sets and probably got more reps in for 118. Hmm.

Happy, though. Bench press has been good for me this week, as has deadlift. Let's hope the squat doesn't let me down.

That's good, as well. I don't really do 12 or 8 rep sets for anything anymore, except maybe for curls or front shoulder raises. Everything else is 5 reps. Except for calves where I go for higher volume.

That second paragraph is what I'm looking at doing, too. It's the "middle" sets that tire you out, too. The working sets where it's not light, but it's not really pushing you beyond your limit either. I could have ditched one of my other sets and probably got more reps in for 118. Hmm.

Happy, though. Bench press has been good for me this week, as has deadlift. Let's hope the squat doesn't let me down.

Getting the balance of weights right for longer sets can be tricky. Half the time, my muscles aren't suffering fatigue from the weight as much as I'm just running out of breath because my breathing technique sucks. The set of 12 at 55KG feels fine until let go of the bar and stand up and then it hits me just much that took out of me. That second set then doesn't feel too bad by comparison.

But on other exercises, it's the first set that is super easy and the middle one is much closer to the limit than ideal to allow me to get the absolute maximum out of my last set. It's quite easy to be temptated to overdo it on those lighter/middle sets and end up suffering later on for it.

I guess it really depends on your routine. For a while, I was following a rountine known as "bulldozer" where you just keep going with your set weight and you either hit your target or you don't. Never really had to think too much about the weight versus reps dilema so swapping to something different is still taking a bit of getting used to - especially when we keep trying different exercise to give more variety to the routine so it's not always the exact same exercises.

My bench pressed is awful and I've never been very good at it. Started incorporating declined presses to mix things up a bit and am doing more dumbbell presses to work those stabilisers more and get the strength that way but it's slow going.

Getting the balance of weights right for longer sets can be tricky. Half the time, my muscles aren't suffering fatigue from the weight as much as I'm just running out of breath because my breathing technique sucks. The set of 12 at 55KG feels fine until let go of the bar and stand up and then it hits me just much that took out of me. That second set then doesn't feel too bad by comparison.

But on other exercises, it's the first set that is super easy and the middle one is much closer to the limit than ideal to allow me to get the absolute maximum out of my last set. It's quite easy to be temptated to overdo it on those lighter/middle sets and end up suffering later on for it.

I guess it really depends on your routine. For a while, I was following a rountine known as "bulldozer" where you just keep going with your set weight and you either hit your target or you don't. Never really had to think too much about the weight versus reps dilema so swapping to something different is still taking a bit of getting used to - especially when we keep trying different exercise to give more variety to the routine so it's not always the exact same exercises.

My bench pressed is awful and I've never been very good at it. Started incorporating declined presses to mix things up a bit and am doing more dumbbell presses to work those stabilisers more and get the strength that way but it's slow going.

The breathing is a tricky one to get right, but I'd advise going slow and controlled with your sets if you're feeling light-headed after it. I used to power through my sets, mainly for time purposes (so much to do). These days, I go slower and try to get as much control as I can over the weight, thinking more consciously about what I'm doing, how I'm breathing, etc. It takes a lot of time and practice, but the jist of it is to aim to be in control of everything. You should stay relatively injury free doing this, too, since you'll be more conscious of form.

Bench pressing was probably one of my least favourite exercises for a long time, but it's starting to win me around. There's a lot that can be done with it, doing it incline, close grip, etc. You really need that explosive energy to push the bar up, something I think I lacked before. It's hard going, though. Working on the triceps will help, that'll also help with the shoulder press.

The breathing is a tricky one to get right, but I'd advise going slow and controlled with your sets if you're feeling light-headed after it. I used to power through my sets, mainly for time purposes (so much to do). These days, I go slower and try to get as much control as I can over the weight, thinking more consciously about what I'm doing, how I'm breathing, etc. It takes a lot of time and practice, but the jist of it is to aim to be in control of everything. You should stay relatively injury free doing this, too, since you'll be more conscious of form.

Bench pressing was probably one of my least favourite exercises for a long time, but it's starting to win me around. There's a lot that can be done with it, doing it incline, close grip, etc. You really need that explosive energy to push the bar up, something I think I lacked before. It's hard going, though. Working on the triceps will help, that'll also help with the shoulder press.

I'm certainly a lot more form focused than when I first started out and seeing other people with their lousy form only serves to strengthen that resolve. There are definite exercises where I could use more weight but then the form would start to go and I'd be leaning one way or the other and there would be swinging starting and not only do you look stupid, but you aren't actually getting the full benefit from it. Likewise if I don't feel I'm getting the full range of movement, even if the form is fine within that range, I won't use that weight. But proper breathing still eludes me on certain exercises because I don't always find it easy to breath in and out smoothly - I want to hold my breath for a second before exhaling to steady myself.

I don't do too badly on tricep exercises. If anything, I think part of my issue is psychological as I see bench pressing as a bogey exercise and the other is that I'm not using my triceps enough. I've noticed that with shoulder/military presses too as I'd been struggling for while but then absolutely blitzed my heaviest set the other day because I was driving right though with both shoulder and tricep.

I'm certainly a lot more form focused than when I first started out and seeing other people with their lousy form only serves to strengthen that resolve. There are definite exercises where I could use more weight but then the form would start to go and I'd be leaning one way or the other and there would be swinging starting and not only do you look stupid, but you aren't actually getting the full benefit from it. Likewise if I don't feel I'm getting the full range of movement, even if the form is fine within that range, I won't use that weight. But proper breathing still eludes me on certain exercises because I don't always find it easy to breath in and out smoothly - I want to hold my breath for a second before exhaling to steady myself.

I don't do too badly on tricep exercises. If anything, I think part of my issue is psychological as I see bench pressing as a bogey exercise and the other is that I'm not using my triceps enough. I've noticed that with shoulder/military presses too as I'd been struggling for while but then absolutely blitzed my heaviest set the other day because I was driving right though with both shoulder and tricep.

Yeah, a lot of it is mental/psychological. I've made errors before with counting weight, thinking I was lifting something when it was actually a fair bit higher than I thought. No problems with lifting it the first time around. Then, the second time (when you realise that you made a mistake and are lifting heavier) it goes a bit to shit. :p "Oh noes, heavy weights."

Yeah, a lot of it is mental/psychological. I've made errors before with counting weight, thinking I was lifting something when it was actually a fair bit higher than I thought. No problems with lifting it the first time around. Then, the second time (when you realise that you made a mistake and are lifting heavier) it goes a bit to shit. :p "Oh noes, heavy weights."

Ha ha, yeah... I've done that too. You feel awesome when you take the weights off and realise you've shifted more than you thought you were but then when you come back to it next time, it doesn't always go so smoothly even though you know you've done it before and should be able to do it again.

When you start getting near to your limit, it's as much mind games as physical strength.

Yeah...it can be dangerous if you rush into that without resting properly.

Speaking of squats: I went on a tour of the new fitness club where I'll be playing squash. I noticed somebody was at the squat stand and they weren't using it for a curling rack, ahaaa. Somebody was using it to perform quarter squats, if that. At least they'll be able to walk tomorrow. :p

Good to know there's a squash fan on these boards! I love the sport and is probably the main form of release/sporting activity for me.

Really lucky that I've got a squash club 5 mins away from me. My neighbour an I play at least twice a week, and find it to be a great workout.

Just wanna improve my fitness on the court. You have any workouts that would be good, particularly for squash?

Got annoyed with my grip limiting my deadlift so I ordered some straps. Bring it on.

Also, thinking about un-dirty my diet. Might bulk for another month, though.

It took me a while to realise the actual weight of an olympic barbell. For ages I thought I was just pathetic, lifting what seemed puny weights compared to others. Then suddenly it dawned on me I was adding the total weight completely wrong :heh:

100kg deaaaaaaadddddllliiiift. Comin te getchar pb flinkeh ;)

My pt was practically dancing round the gym when I did it. 4 weeks (only once a week) of training and hitting 100 apparently makes me a machine and an incredible stat to put on his cv :p

I tried for a 50kg clean and press but it just wasn't happening. Not getting it high enough to food the elbows under.

Also for all the girls, or guys with girlfriends or female friends they want to encourage: http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/category/exercise/women/ read eeeeet.

Dunno if I mentioned it, but I was getting miring from another pt. casually mentioned it to matt (my own pt) and he asked who it was, told him. Apparently the guy is like the biggest pickler for even the tiniest errors in form. Which makes me and him look brilliant ;D (mostly me but then we all know im brilliant)

Edited by Raining_again

Good to know there's a squash fan on these boards! I love the sport and is probably the main form of release/sporting activity for me.

Really lucky that I've got a squash club 5 mins away from me. My neighbour an I play at least twice a week, and find it to be a great workout.

Just wanna improve my fitness on the court. You have any workouts that would be good, particularly for squash?

Any workouts to work with fitness? You could try doing some interval training. Buy a jump rope and use that for a few times a week. That'll help your stamina. Interval training should help with the stamina and endurance a fair bit. I weight train about 4 times a week, run an after-school football club once a week (with some light training throughout the week) and will now be doing squash a few times a week now. That'll help my stamina! Aha...

100kg deaaaaaaadddddllliiiift. Comin te getchar pb flinkeh ;)

My pt was practically dancing round the gym when I did it. 4 weeks (only once a week) of training and hitting 100 apparently makes me a machine and an incredible stat to put on his cv :p

Good stuff, Raineeng. You repping that or is that one rep max? I've never attempted a one rep max...I'm running out of weight at my house.